Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Where are the results?

Here's a run down with some GIFs of the action.

(Beaten with info by FD, but not with moving pictures, and isn't that much more important? Nope :( )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Xguard86 posted:

non-pajama grapplers: What is the technical aspect of the suplex? I mean once you have the under-hooks it looks you just apply tremendous physical power but surely there are some little technical aspects since you don't see guys pulling it off too often.

Some guys and I were talking how we'd love to learn some greco-roman at the bjj gym because it seems easier for non-midgets than free/folkstyle but its hard to find teachers or instructional DVDs.

I am in no way a grappler of any kind, but does this help?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Not that I have a glut of options where I'm at, but is there anything in particular I should look for at a BJJ place, or any kind of martial arts school for that matter? Anything that should be a warning sign to avoid the gym at all costs?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

MycroftXXX posted:

I would try and check out the head instructors lineage and see if it looks legit. Most places will have that stuff posted on their website. Google the name of the school and instructor and see what pops up, either positive or negative. Sometimes you can look around at local grappling competition websites and see if the name of the school pops up anywhere in the results (although this can be skewed towards larger schools/affiliates).

Probably the best thing to do is to drop by and take a free class, get a feel for the place yourself, and politely ask the instructor any questions you might have.

I would be more on the skeptical side of MMA centric schools if your looking to get into BJJ. Not they won't necessarily have a great BJJ program, but those types of place is where you will run less than ideal grappling programs.

Jiu jitsus!

Thanks for the info, I'll check them out, and there's either one or two other spots in town.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Pretty cowardly of the IOC to wait until Blatnick's dead to remove wrestling. Of course, he would have just thrown those dorks through a wall.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

DekeThornton posted:

Not to play devils advocate, but isn't it possible that wrestling is being threatend with being thrown out because it has become too tarred as corrupt even by IOC standards and it could be allowed back if it cleans up it's act and strange rulesets?

Then I would imagine boxing is next on the block since that was judged awfully.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Hey, Karras wrestled, too! professionally, but whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI4vXfFx_DA

"I'm happy, dude!" :smith: Blatnick is the best, IOC is dumb.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Apparently the Arizona Open Jiu-Jitsu International has some good grapple men (I don't know grapples too well :( )

Here's Benson Henderson doing stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck6hxRD6YVs

And here are Leandro Lo vs Augusto Tanquinho in the blackbelt absolute finals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCShrsk40qw

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Rener and Ed O'Neil with golf-whisper commentary.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

ch3cooh posted:

Something needs to be done about Ed's mic. I can hear everytime he takes a sip of water

That's bonus content.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

So they bring in judges to make sure there's a winner if nobody gets tapped after 20 minutes. And the first judges' decision is a loving draw. Good job, Metamoris.

Edit: "he's got a very strong uncle"

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

ch3cooh posted:

I bet it's a draw

My thoughts exactly.

edit: :lol:

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 10, 2013

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

So you're saying this maybe isn't worth $20

I don't really know poo poo about JITZ, but I've been entertained.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Jesus Christ, Schaub. The only thing you can do is get in his guard. Unless he wants to go straight to Cyborg's mount.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Take Rener off the mic, put the hecklers on commentary.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

please keep me posted in gif form if anything funny happens to schaub. i would be watching but study is taking precedence.

Should have been another draw :mad:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Awwww poo poo. Metamoris 3: Royler vs Eddie Bravo 2!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

That last minute was pretty rad.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

No grapple pants :saddowns:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

ch3cooh posted:

Borrrrrring

Guillotine somersaults!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Cyborg and Schaub snipping at each other on the presser. :lol:

Edit: Schaub shut down Cyborg, just like he shut down Mirko and Lavar Johnson (Their ground games, I assume?)

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 10, 2013

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

If you're talking about the art's relevance to real life? Yeah, a bit. You're training for a scenario where you're attacked by Hugh Hefner basically. It's not as bad as ninjitsu classes or whatever, but you're definitely training in unrealistic attire as deference to tradition/because it's part of the sport/it lets you do cool chokes.

That said, gis are awesome.

Hold on, lemme put on my judo three-piece suit before I get mugged.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

I don't know who Rasul Chunayev is, but I enjoy his fancy dancing post-wrestling victory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZZAKCD8FZM

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Olympic wrestling is saved! :woop:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Ben Askren will wrestle Quentin Wright on Sunday

Trailer

I am intrigued by this, I hope I remember to watch it.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

If you are going to wear it under your gi, your rashguard should be a gi.

Renato Laranja gi rashguard

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

I want to see the real grudge match in BJJ: Renato vs Vinny

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

NAGA? More like NO! GAG! :barf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03_YdfsOXO0

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Google Butt posted:

jesus christ clark is hosed

does he at least look handsome while it is happening?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Yuriy posted:

That paragraph is a good reason to hate every Gracie

Good(ish) Gracies:

Rener
Ryron
Tioki
Clark
Kyra

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I love that Royce thinks his brother dominated or won that match by any metric.

Maybe puking is the Gracie subset of Stockton "look at his face, bro" rules?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Stalks people and beats them up randomly

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Sprecherscrow posted:

Oh god no. They're knowledgeable instructors, but also a couple of hucksters. Recently made some youtube videos arguing that their online correspondence course was not only as good as training at a school under a good instructor, but was in fact superior.

As the only Gracie to win an MMA fight within the last year, Neiman is clearly a good Gracie.

Everybody's gotta hustle

Also, okay, yeah, Renzo is Pretty Good when he isn't raccooning dudes.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

I like that Royce wants vale tudo rules because it says to me he knows he won't be able to beat Eddie on the ground, so his only saving grac(i)e is his vaunted Royce Striking

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Pronounced as an H when it starts the word, pronounced normally otherwise.

Isn't it also (sometimes) pronounced as H when it is double Rs? Because I've heard dudes named Bezerra called Bez-ey-ha

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Rener might have to be removed from the cool Gracie list and put on the Dorkus Malorkus Gracie list after he name-dropped Helio in his love song to his wife, Eve Torres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX2PcRGNt1A

"LOVE AS TRUE AS JIU-JITSU"

daaaaaaaaaaang (not in the good way, either)

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

origami posted:

A Gracie wedding seems pretty weird:
http://instagram.com/p/mwHqHXhTrD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGCZGU-MGgE

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Jay Sherman's not a fan of that choice

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

I wrote up that Nicolini/Musumeci submission and got this comment:

Some Dude posted:

I don’t think it’s ok that just because your opponent is slow in tapping that you get to break their arm. I think it should be considered battery. You’re not just hurting them for this match you’re affecting their livelyhood in future matches, and all because they hesitated for what a second too long?

Seems like it shouldn’t be legal to cause serious bodily harm to someone on purpose.

Guess we better cancel all combat sports :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

where are you writing this? or are you only allowed to plug in the journalism thread?

over at ye olde with leather

edit: and i'm no way a journalist, just a semi-terrible bloggist