Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Bohemian Nights posted:

You people leave me alone, you have no idea what I had to go through for this black belt

Amazon market place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Cross post from the A/T thread.

So I just got back from a casual open mat rolling at my commercial gym with my training buddies and this random guy asks for a roll.

He destroyed me, destroyed me harder than I have ever been destroyed before.

Turns out hes a double Gold medal winner in the Abu Dhabi Grand Slam London at Purple belt level and is now a Brown belt at the most competitive/aggressive BJJ gym in my area.

He hasn't been able to find his matches on youtube from when he won. Apparently it was televised. Does anyone know where I would even start looking? His name was Hugh and he is 85kg.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

wow ... youre really good at being near really talented and disciplined people

You gotta train with the best to be da best.

In reality the gym I go to is a brilliant second/fitness/cheap gym for pro fighters, power lifters and body builders in the city I'm in, which is one of the bigger better cities in the UK.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Captain Log posted:

I appreciate it, man. I originally trained (took classes) in MMA around 2008 and convenience in gym location made me try BJJ a few years back. I only got to go for a few months but training under a current gold medal winning black belt was awesome. Some nuero people wouldn't be comfortable with me rolling but two green lights from doctors is good for me. Especially when one was a college buddy.

I was outright told I can't take blows to the head which is disappointing. Muay Thai was the only thing I actually showed some ability in due to my fencing background.

Edit: I you live anywhere in Kansas City make a point to visit this gym. You feel like a brother the second you walk in. I'm in Nashville now and hope to find a similar place.

http://www.brazilacademyusa.com/

Nice to see you back dude

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I've probably competed 9 or 10 times now, and I just medalled for the first time :3. 3rd in a division of 5, hit some sweet kneebars in the new grappling industries rules. Feels reeeeal good.

Congratulations! A division of 5 must have meant quite a few matches, how did your cardio hold up?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Captain Log posted:

My old gym had people who had been there a year without a stripe,

Could this be just because they weren't learning or good enough at BJJ? I could see myself joining a BJJ club when i'm old and not wanting to strike anymore and never really progressing.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

manyak posted:

You gotta ignore Willie dee in this thread, he 'trains' grappling on the ground at a planet fitness with his buddy who sells him steroids

Do you train BJJ in mid air and not on the ground?! I mean flying arm bars are cool and all but for how long can you fly exactly?

I googled planet fitness and my gym does actually seem like a less bad one of them, its got a full size cage and boxing ring.

My main training partner who started from scratch with me got a silver medal at his first BJJ tournament against people in his weight class and the weight class up because they got merged on the day.

I train with a lot of pro fighters who use my gym as a second gym outside of pro training, including an ex olympian, an ex Pride fighter, an Ex UFC fighter and about 4 BAMMA fighters, yea I don't go to an MMA gym but I don't think it's fair to say I "train".

The guys want me to take a fight on the next card but my girlfriend won't let me, nor do I think it's fair now I have tried steroids, so I can't be that bad.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

What I mean, is that when I am older, and not training any striking or lifting weights, I could see myself joining a nice friendly BJJ gym but being so uncompetitive that I never really go past blue belt for a long long time, and not being bothered by it.

Captain Log posted:

When I spoke to the reception girl (she seemed very young) I think she was a blue belt after a year or something. It struck me as fast but maybe she is excellent.

If she is the reception girl, the chances are she trains very very consistently and might have a larger link to the gym than you realise. One of the Gracie Barra places in my city has a girl (I can't remember what belt she is but she is very good) and she just happens to also be a ring card girl at MMA events, you would never suspect either fact about her meeting her out and about.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I think your going to have to say why your thinking of changing, if it's personal drama then I understand not going into detail, I went from a Gracie Bara gym to my Planet Fitness fun times because of how uncompetitive the gym was, that even I felt that I was training with guys who didn't want to win anything ever.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

Nah willie, I'm not going to share the details mate

That's fine and understandable.

OK well if it's not personal stuff then swapping because you think there's better training else where is fine. If your worried about losing friends or upsetting people say that you have a best mate who has insisted you sign up to train with him there or something.

If there is weird personal drama going on (not uncommon at all) then that too is a perfectly legit reason to change. I'm surprised how much bitchiness and drama there is amongst certain groups of people.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I thought I posted about this when it happened, but I obviously never hit submit.

So my friend who I went to school with moved back to my area after a split with his partner, bumped into me at my gym, we caught up, I told him about me doing bits of MMA/Boxing/Grappling here and there at the gym we were in, turns out to get over his breakup (and lose weight because he had gotten fat) he was interested in becoming an MMA fighter. He had done some boxing as a kid and enjoyed it.

We ended up rolling just him and I, he met all my fighter friends, and he joined an actual MMA gym, not one of the pro ones but a nice and easy beginners MMA kind of gym, its where I first started training years ago and its great for beginners.

He also asked a couple of the pro's at my planet fitness gym to do one on one lessons with him for a different perspective, and asked me to be his main grappling partner during open mat sessions and his one on one lessons.

Well, after about 3 months, we were going to a National No Gi event and pretty much forced him to enter the white belt level Heavy Weight division, to give him a goal and force him to lose some weight from the Super Heavy Weight division. He ordered a rash guard online for the event but it was too small so the kind BJJ people gave him one.

He got a silver medal!

Everyone who entered who I train with got Gold or Silver which was nice, his division got combined with Super Heavy White Belt and Super Heavy White Belt Masters (because there weren't many in the divisions so they combined them all). Heavy weight grappling is very very different to the lighter weights, and pure Ju Jitsu guys are happy to stall for as long as possible.

My only gripe was the guy who eventually beat him had 15kg on him, was a 10th Planet London competitor for 4 years and still a white belt, had been in loads of tournaments, was happy to defend a takedown at the 3 minute mark after 3 minutes of hand grappling, and then stall on top with 0 points, for a judges decision after a 0 - 0 tie which was a bit lame.

My friend then beat him as they got paired up again for the open weights and successfully took him down, and then worked a Kimura, which ended the day on a high note, but then we had to leave as we had been there for the entire day and both of us were starving and needed food.

Good wholesome fun! They want me to enter but I am staying retired because of being juiced and going out with a gold medal undefeated in the 135lbs division, and I am not defending that because i'm 180lbs now.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Ha thanks guys, not going to lie, life kind of owns at the moment.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I ended up going with this

That is so cool.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Odddzy posted:

He's the only guy called Daniel O'brien that participated in EBI. Videos aren't important as he starts every match i've seen with that stance really. My guess is it's probably a stance that he has developed because he's just naturally taller than others by many inches so he just kind of flops over if someone shoots against him.

Yea, from that video, being a loving giant would be my best guess.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
There are people who enter tournaments to win at all costs, and will cheat and hurt people on purpose to win, including claiming to be a lot less experienced than they are to face easier competition. These people go hard to the point where they are trying to snap a limb. Its not the same as rolling with a team mate and I can completely understand why one wouldn't want any part in competition.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I'm getting more comfortable taking stuff to the ground, as I like to stand and box it always comes as a complete surprise when I shoot for a double on any of my sparring partners. My main problem is that I dive down, get the double, drive, and go forward, my brain cannot get through going sideways once I'm down there. Is this a common mistake?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Do people routinely give up side control for half guard? What is the benefit?

I saw it twice tonight on the ufc card, guys stepping what looks like intentionally into half guard when they had side control

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
This all makes a lot of sense. I find it easier to retain top control from side control by spreading out like superman than having one of my legs hooked up, but if you know what you are doing then I totally get it.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

manyak posted:

. and if not then rest it until it doesnt hurt anymore then do some strengthening exercises for muscles around your rotator cuff/scapula

http://www.healthline.com/health/rotator-cuff-injury-stretches#Side-lyingexternalrotation5 - this is pretty much what I was told to do.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Yea, and also you will notice a massive imbalance probably, this is normal, do as many reps as you can with your strong side, then try and work up to matching it with the other side.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

ch3cooh posted:

Okie State won 8 of 10 weight classes at Big 12s. Kaid Brock lost a decision 9-7 at 133 and Chandler Rogers lost 5-4 at 165 or they would have run the table.

Is that normal? Like, whats the usual split?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
drat dude, that's seriously unlucky. I hope you get better soon and the drugs work super good so you aren't in pain, but not too good that you get addicted. If you are becoming a druggy I suggest maybe when you are rehabing ask the Dr for copius amount of pharmacy grade steroids and high to strengthen everything up and get swole.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Mr. Pool posted:

I did my second tournament as a dumb white belt on Saturday. This time went much better! eight matches, five wins three losses. Three wins by submission, got bronze in gi, silver in nogi. The most gratifying thing was actually being able to hit some of the stuff I had been practicing. Also arm triangling a dude until his nose gushed blood and ruined my gi. WORTH IT :black101:

Incredible, congrats.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Captain Log posted:

I ask this question every few years and I love the answers.

What music pumps you up pre-competition? Also, I know we have people with amateur fights here - What was your walkout song and why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsKbwR7WXN4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnYPXTs9LY

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

They are really good videos, bit to advanced for me but thanks for posting!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Anyone any advice for keeping control/grip on an arm bar when you take it from full mount and fall sideways, backwards?

I seem to lose it in the scramble and don't know why. No gi.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

starkebn posted:

it shouldn't be a scramble - you should be in control

stay tight

Yea, looking at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip0Hl52JG5A

It would seem that not actually training Jits, means I haven't got a clue what I am doing. It's a lot to think about, I need to get to a proper MMA gym.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Same

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Who taught Genki Sudo all that cool poo poo? He looks way ahead of his time

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

They never totally heal too, it's almost a decade later from my teen crossfit years and they still flair up.

The personal goal for myself before I touch gear is that want to at least be repping my squat PR of 315 as a training weight. But yeah, I'm hoping a quick, short test e cycle will finally but the tendon issues to rest, and if not, I'll know a lot more before I start pinning HGH.

Sounds like you know what you are doing, good luck with it.

My shoulder didn't heal on Test, but now I have power in my jab I'm not using it 500 times a minute.

Hgh would be my next port of call but I don't want to get that into roiding, as fun as it is. Seeing a chiropracter did nothing sadly.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

I'd say wait until your 50's, early 60's, before you think seriously about it.

My uncle is 73 and uses test (probably HGH too) and he looks fucken ripped and rides a motorcycle everywhere (and seems to feel great). He's in a large motorcycle club so he's living that lifestyle too.

That's my plan eventually, trt. Yea you might die quicker but who wants to slowly succumb and get to 90. I'd rather live like a 20 year old until I'm 60ish than get old.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Deadlift with a belt, don't go super heavy and don't go heavy for reps. Make sure your form is good and don't struggle one up, if your form gets worse as you do reps stop.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

omg chael crash posted:

I cannot believe a Flo subscription is 29.99. What grown men in their 30s have that kind of money?

Isn't one of the head people at Flo the guy who scammed people on Gofundme for the red belt documentary?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

omg chael crash posted:

What red belt documentary?

A long time ago someone set up a Gofundme for a bjj documentary, it was something to do with red belts. That person ran off with all the money and is now on the pay roll of Flo, so gently caress them.

They also have done some shady poo poo by not ignoring comps they don't have a say in, promoting fighters way more than they deserve because they are mates with a writer and being lovely to female comps.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

jarofpiss posted:

how long before my grip adapts and it stops feeling like i have arthritis when i wake up in the morning?

If your anything like me it won't

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I feel like this has been every experience for me with guys who profess to do "small circle" jiu jitsu

What's small circle?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
https://www.tatamifightwear.com/products/nova-plus-bjj-gi-blue-free-white-belt?variant=50200115284

I am about to order this Gi, I have no idea how to figure out the sizing. I am 6'0 and wight 180lbs +/- 5lbs

I think according to the size chart, I'm A2L?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

Remember, a good way of "maintaining position" is to attack opponents so that they have to address your attack instead of addressing your position. Kimuras, Americanas, certain lapel chokes all are relatively "safe" attacks that your opponent has to address that won't get you countered and swept.

Has anyone got any advice for maintaining position whilst going for arm attacks like Kimura or Americana? I tend to find I am using my 4 points to keep myself on top solidly, but as soon as I got for something im at least down to 3 legs of a chair vs my 4 and loose my stability.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
https://medium.com/@souljacker/why-im-ashamed-of-being-a-brazilian-and-a-bjj-fighter-2d14f2846b19

Aw man, some top level BJJ guys have come out in support of an openly nastier version than Trump?!

It's one thing explaining away sexual assault and dog whistle racism (completely disgusting but so is society I guess)

It's a whole other to be in support of someone who openly hates black people, women, and gays. At least Trump tries and hides his poo poo so his supporters have some semblance of deniability. I am hoping my new head instructor isn't involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

We already had this discussion, people here don't think it is relevant.

Wut? Isn't this the BJJ thread, or is this the technique thread and there's another thread for watching pro pyjama nerd wrestling?