Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Got my first amatuer Judo competition on the 9th. I am so going to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Why is his armpit a boob?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Any Brit goons know of any half-way decent Jujitsu schools in Kent? Although I'm stuck working 5 evenings a week (and college on the 6th) I kind of want to get back into martial arts after a year and a bit of Judo, I'm fully prepared to suck at it

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Well I've been doing BJJ since... August, finally got the first stripe on my white belt! :toot:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Seltzer posted:

Slight rant but I swear I think I'm one of two whitebelts with no previous grappling experience at my gym. Seems like everyone has wrestling/judo experience. It makes attempting any takedowns while rolling a pain in the rear end and is honestly a little discouraging, One of the newer whitebelts who I just met did like six years of sambo. On the one hand they're giving me good tips on the other hand if I try anything I'm basically getting dumped or tossed.

Feel ya buddy. Doesn't help that I'm 57kg with bad knees so I can't break anyone's grip or sweep them.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Attending a seminar done by Carlson Gracie Jr tonight, not really sure what to expect.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

origami posted:

Yeah he will show something really basic and go over the finer details. With that said Carlson is a strange guy..

Yeah it was pretty much this. Two straight hours of passing half-guard at a rather relaxed tone with no sparring at the end, probably more my pace than one hour of technique (of varying difficulty) followed by one hour of getting smashed by everyone in sparring.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Well I managed to only tap once to a blue belt in 7 minutes of sparring. Got swept about 10 times and spent half the time stuck in side control: but I managed to stop him getting anything more than an armlock. Progress! Now if only I could start doing the sweeping.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I think I'm done with BJJ. There's humbling experiences and there's getting your rear end kicked in sparring week in week out for 10 months straight, even against people with only a month's experience I just get flattened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Well, I cowed to peer pressure. I went back to the class the week after my tantrum and felt much better about it, although this week I managed to twist/sprain/not sure it just hurts my ankle during takedown practice. Feeling a lot better about going back, just hope I can start walking again.