Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Ahhh, my wrists are hurting vicariously from seeing that guy doing push-ups on his.

On that note, how do you deal with wrist injuries in grappling?

I'm eager to try out BJJ, but I've been unable to do much of anything physical for months now because of a wrist injury sustained in judo. During newaza, which in my school always starts with both people wrestling on their knees (don't know if that's the norm), I was paired up with an enthusiastic and very strong guy who'd never tried any form of martial arts before in his life, and so he grabbed my by the fingers and more or less drove my wrist into the mat while I shamefully pulled guard. I remember thinking "wow, that's an injury" right as it happened, but I was good to go for the remainder of the day. The morning after, and many subsequent mornings, I had to use my left hand to open doors, turn faucets on/off, etc. It's recovered to the point where it doesn't bother me in my everyday life now, but if I press my right hand down sideways, something definitely feels wrong about half an inch underneath my thumb. Would it be fine if I went to a tryout class while having this problem, or should I try waiting it out for longer? It's been almost 4 months already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Sounds like a fine plan to me, although I'm more or less the grappling dummy of my class, so I'm not exactly an authority. I also started doing nogi BJJ after having done (just a bit of) judo, and I still have some bad habits from it, such as giving up my back without a thought.

My regular side control is still really bad, but I feel like there are some good opportunities from there when I do the kesa-gatame*. You can scissor your partner's near arm with your legs for a submission or as a distraction to attack their far arm with an americana or a kimura. This might only work on white belts who don't know what kesa-gatame means, though.

*: I mean the standard judo scarf hold. Not talking about the arm triangle, which I assume is called something else, and which went from a thing that I could occasionally pull off in judo to being impossible for me to do on a resisting opponent in nogi.

Skjorte fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 18, 2015

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Here's a super long and dumb post to ask a simple BJJ etiquette question:

I'm recently getting back into training after a long time away. This week, I brought a friend who's super small for my club (the lightest guys there are probably around 170, and every one who isn't me is in really good shape, too), but who's expressed interest in learning to grapple for a long time. The first time went super well. Although he was the only flyweight-sized adult there, there were a couple of girls and a few kids there that he was able to roll with. He had a blast. He did aikido some years back, so he knows how to fall, but that's pretty much where his grappling knowledge begins and ends. He's still trying to figure out what "get in my guard" and all that stuff means.

Anyways, today there were only guys significantly bigger than him there. I have 50+ pounds on him, so I mainly played defense and tried to introduce him to some of the basic positions. Then we switched partners, and he got paired up with a relatively new, but extremely dedicated and very talented guy. I've only rolled with him once, but he would hold submissions (neck cranks, mostly) for a second after I tapped because he wanted to "get it just right" or something--unfortunately, I'd forgotten that when they paired up. After the class was over, I asked my friend if he was doing okay physically, and he said his foot and knee were bothering him. Apparently he'd been leg locked a number of times despite telling the guy that he was a complete beginner and asking him to go easy. He also fell victim to the "why are you tapping now? See how much tighter it is when I do this!" treatment.

Last class, our instructor said "please no leg locks or neck cranks on new guys." Our instructor today didn't. It's been a long time since I went there regularly, so I don't know what the etiquette for that kind of stuff is, and I don't want to create any unnecessary drama. Still, I kinda embarrassed my friend by walking up to the guy to try to, politely, let him know that my friend literally doesn't know the difference between mount and guard, how even basic submissions feel, etc., and so he probably shouldn't be put in full-on leg locks at this point. The guy told me he only did straight ankle locks, which he claimed can't injure you if you tap before you snap. Although my friend was clearly in some pain after those submissions, I had to admit I didn't know enough about leg locks to argue the point, or about BJJ etiquette to be sure I wasn't being an rear end in a top hat, so I dropped the issue and just asked him to show us the escape, since he clearly wasn't keen on not hitting ankle locks all the time.

So, yeah, I dunno, I just feel weird about it. Was I being needlessly coddling, or should I tell my friend to avoid rolling with that guy in the future?

Skjorte fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 9, 2016

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Haha, I mean, -I- thought he was being a dickhead, but I'm older and nowhere near as used to athletic environments as pretty much everyone else there. I won't roll with anyone who I feel uncomfortable with, but I didn't know if that type of behavior was egregious enough to bring it up to the instructor. It's a no gi (beginner's) class, with a purple as an instructor, so although I can't be sure, I don't think we have anyone in class who's higher than blue, unfortunately. Not a lot of high level BJJ guys in my country yet.

Thank you all for convincing me I wasn't being an irrational poo poo-stirrer. :)

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I would definitely not go train if I could barely walk. I injured my toe in judo several years ago, and it's still the worst injury I've had; I can't bend it fully anymore, and while it hasn't been much of a problem since starting BJJ, fear of aggravating the injury was the main reason I had for not training for a long time.

I've been out with what I hope is a small injury in my hip/thigh area for the past month or so. It started off as a minor nuisance that I felt I could train with, but after a few weeks I really hosed it up when doing sprawls during warm-ups (and stupidly training for the next hour instead of listening to my body). Don't sacrifice weeks or months of training just to get that one extra session in.

My initial injury came from being a total idiot, trying to use what had been my white belt cheat code mount escape against a purple belt, except unlike this video I just throw my leg up there with no set up, meaning people who have some semblance of balance can just lean forward and destroy me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCTsS7s6tBw

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I've been out for 9-10 months with some sort of nebulous 'tennis elbow'-like thing in my hip. It barely affects my day to day life at all, but I'm starting to think it's just never going to go away since it always flares back up again when I'm walking somewhere, even if it's been gone for like a week or two. It would've been so easy to avoid the injury by not being an idiot, too. :(

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

Can you afford physical therapy? I've had stuff nagging for a long time that's gone away after just a few weeks of PT exercises.

I have no idea how much physical therapy costs (most things except for dentistry are free here), but I felt kinda dissuaded from even trying it out because my doctor was insistent that time and luck were my best bets. Then again, he once thought he could fix my scoliosis via massage and acupuncture, and recommended that I drink boiled ginger for a few months because my tongue looked depressed, so maybe trying a physical therapist once or twice instead of listening to dr. Wily would be a smarter course of action. I'll give it a go soon; thanks for the push!

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
My dad brought me a couple of muay thai shorts from Thailand because he knows I like some kinda martial arts. They're definitely cooler than whatever dumb spats I have, but they don't seem like they'd hold up for long if used for grappling. Also probably wouldn't be feel great for training partners, because they're all ornate and have way too many layers.

I did 3 BJJ classes in the past week after being out for well over a year with a hip injury that rest and physical therapy hasn't been able to shake. So far it's been a complete non-factor in BJJ, though I try to help that along by being protective of my hip and trying to avoid some of my worst habits (namely using flexibility to create scrambles and to attack with omoplatas at all times). The classes were at a club I hadn't been to before (my old one moved further away, raised its prices, got new ownership, and lost all of its UFC fighters and probably its most senior grapplers), and it was super great, but I think I'm going to be taking advantage of every Free Class offer within travelling distance for the rest of the month before settling on a place to train. One white belt with a couple of stripes got super protective of his territory (or just decided he needed to win at all costs), kneeing the poo poo out of me, cranking on hopeless guillotines that were uncomfortable but nowhere near complete, etc., which I hope won't be the norm when I visit other places, but everyone else was nice and helpful. Grappling is so fun. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
The only Youtube video on the technique I've seen described that mounted-to-on-top-in-guard move as the goathook escape. It was my lazy I'm Too Tired For This mount escape hack, but almost every time I did it to someone who wasn't as bad or worse than me it wasn't very effective. Eventually I tried it on an instructor who effortlessly trapped my leg against my chest and popped something in my hip. That was over 2 years ago and it's still an ongoing issue, so that's one move I won't ever be trying again.