Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Do BJJ places haze very often? Is that what this is? It just got uploaded a couple of days ago.

I've heard vague stories about the bad old days with the first instructors in the states, specifically Atlanta, doing really lovely things to their students, but I think this level of crap is kept out of here or relegated to the super old school gyms.

Marching Powder posted:

nah i think it's a rigid adherence to an unwatchable ruleset that keeps it on the fringes. we need an ebi ruleset ultimate fighter to bring it to the masses.

I agree, but I honestly think if quintet was able to get Joe Rogan to do their play by play or someone good and charismatic it would be that show.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Did that goon who does the cool jits apparel stuff ever make a Reap Knees for Satan rash guard?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

butros posted:

shutupandtakemymoney.bmp

Yea, I got a new job and money to burn!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Count Roland posted:

They're actually really powerful. It used to be a move I could only get against weak newbies.

This and the Bow and Arrow are the only attacks I throw at the back and have done so for the last four years. The only thing I added after seeing Gordon Ryan do it at quintet is to start smothering dudes with my hand if they're really trying to defend with their chin and that's increased both my submission success and the amount of people who don't want to roll with me anymore.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spb posted:

Is there any reason why you can't just wrap your hands around your partners neck and choke them that way? As opposed to all these other fancy choking methods from mount or closed guard.

No, but much like a hand smother it's illegal in IBJJF "[It's a technical foul...]When an athlete strangles his or her opponent ,without using the gi, with one or both hands around the opponent’s neck or applies pressure to the opponent’s windpipe using the thumb." So gyms may or may not like it and expect people to get really butt hurt about it.

There are better ways to accomplish the same thing; however, it may be more effective if you're allowed to bounce your opponents head against the floor.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Count Roland posted:

And speaking of smothering: are there any defense techniques against this? Its frowned upon or illegal in most places, but its legal in some competitions, in MMA, and on the street. I'm curious as to how guys deal with it.

Depends, if you do it like Gordon Ryan does it, where you have one arm occupied by leg the other by your own arm you can really only defend it by moving your head, however; this exposes your neck to a strangle.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Bite the hand that’s smothering your mouth

That's when the other guy stops playing nice and just goes for the face lock instead of trying to get you to open your neck up to a strangle.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

JaySB posted:

I have never done a cross collar choke with the thumb inside on my initial grip hand....

Sword choke and bread slicers are two common attacks where the initial grip is thumb in:colbert:

edit: Helio choke and back lapel chokes(Bow and arrow/wing choke) are common thumb goes in first attacks.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 24, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jits is a two way street.

I am in a RNC and the suns getting real low, may I should tap before I go to sleep.
I have my partner in a RNC dead to rights and he's being real stupid. I should probably let go before he gets more brain damage and becomes stupider than he already is.

edit: In a competition setting, screw it he signed a waiver and as long as what you are doing is legal as per competition rules do what ever, but in training you should seek to minimize any sort of damage to yourself and training partners no matter how stupid they're being.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ghetto Blaster posted:

Do most not just gyms go by Ibjjf rules for rolling?

Every gym has their idiosyncrasies.

My gym is more "be aware that white belts are dumb and spazzy so if you hurt them its on you, but other wise do what you want." and on the other side I've seen a few gyms that ban even straight ankle locks till blue belt.

edit: The only submission that seems universally banned is neck cranks, and I can respect that.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 1, 2019

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I let people stand up in closed guard, because I find it way easier to go for omoplatas and sweeps and I'm too lazy to bother with the whole breaking posture thing

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A random black belt just went to your open mat and started acting like he was the boss? That's hilarious.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I got a new job that pays well, and as a result I can afford to start up doing Judo once a week at a club close to me which I've been meaning to do for the last couple of years. So it'll be super fun being a white belt and not feeling like I need to actually know what I'm doing again!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

It's fine to skip class, it's not fine to skip warm up and come to class :colbert:.

It's me, I'm the weirdo who doesn't like warmups in jits.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

JaySB posted:

Speaking of gym drama, my instructor just posted on all his accounts a fairly long winded speech about loyalty and how people who constantly switch teams aren't worth your time. I have no idea who he's talking about.

As a dirty Creonte, lol.

edit:

If you have enough people who just straight up leave, it's probably the quality of the instructor either personally or professionally.

If you have enough people who want to train with other gyms as well as yours consider it a compliment, because they're willing to pay to keep up their membership instead of straight up ditching and they believe they're getting something meaningful from your gym.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 8, 2019

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

We do once after each set of classes, so three times per day once after morning, noon, and night classes.

If they're not cleaning it at least once after every set of classes you should move on before you catch staph or something.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Question for you guys(maybe upper belts)): On any type of pressure pass, or a pass where you have the legs locked up, the typical defense is to push the head away. It makes passing a lot more difficult. Whats the counter to that from the passers perspective? What should I be doing to counter the head push??

hop to the other side and cross face?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yesterday a white belt I was rolling with tried spiderguard and failed it so badly he put himself in a toe hold and tapped

like, I have no idea how he did it, he was just trying to spider-guard and then tapped and was like "nice toe hold"

You have NO idea how happy I am to hear that you have a white belt that A) knows what a toe hold is and B) respects that submission.

It's me I'm the weirdo that toe holds anyone who inverts in front of me at an inversion heavy gym and gets sideways looks about it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I believe theres actually a technique to running/sprints, but I dont know them and running on mats sucks. Thats my excuse for not liking bjj cardio

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

JaySB posted:

Zero positional dominance. Willingly entangling and leg locking someone you know has no idea how to defend. He's legit just working over a white belt with leg locks. Would have much preferred to see him counter the wrestling with jiu jitsu and control and progress through some positions and go for different subs instead of just falling back to leg locks.

That is positional dominance though? Anytime you can relatively simply damage your opponent and they cannot damage you is positional dominance. Not sure how anyone is supposed to fight back when one of their knees is blown out?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yuns posted:

No subs should have you crushing your own balls. For example, an armbar goes over your hip to your shoulder not straight over your nutsack to the center of your chest.

I attack calf slicers off of shin to shin versus a kneeling opponent, and every so often I have to weigh future children versus a submission.

edit: In sad news, I have an actual job now and have to go to night classes and it sucks I feel I have nothing for energy. How do people do this?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 6, 2019

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I dunno, I just feel really sleepy and just can't really shake the groginess. Someone passes my guard, and I curl up and just kinda take a nap while my opponent does a ton of work, gets tired or frustrated, and then I lazily hit a reversal like four minutes into a five minute round.

edit: May start getting up at 5:00 to hit the 6:00am class before work like a savage, might be better.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 6, 2019

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I absolutely hate that I know this term.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

Wouldn't ever work, way too much space for the foot to move

Its a heel hook, its effective, and kesting had a video on it a month or so ago. Its probably illegal per ibjjf

Edit: Mel if youre looking for the video I vaguely remember it being in a series explaning why you dont cross your ankles and it featured some other high level grappler and stephen kesting

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 11, 2019

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why does everything cool have to be illegal :(

Ibjjf hates fun v:shobon:v

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Do you have a link to the video you mentioned? I tried to find it by thumbnail but couldn't find it

Just rewatched it, and he doesn't show the exact finish mentioned, however; I've finished it on dudes without utilizing their second leg as a fulcrum, by getting the foot a little under the knee before extending. Note: I am extremely flexible and the attack doesn't particularly work on people who have gumby feet, extremely high pain tolerence, or have ridiculously long legs, there's a guy at my gym that I can't finish it on whose about 6'4".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8FBybIk6Bg&t=149s

Edit: also be careful on the extension, I've accidentallied some guys ankle using this, when he kept trying to scramble for a collar choke while I was cranking it. Some people just wont respect it until their leg gets blown out.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 11, 2019

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jerome Louis posted:

How long do you guys go at your gym before mats are replaced?

Don't think I've ever been at a gym where the mats get replaced sooner than the gym moves out of the building? If you clean them constantly, redo the mat tape every so often, and clean under the mat every year or so, I don't see why tatami couldn't last five or six years especially if you aren't a throw heavy gym.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

Love a miss matched ensemble.

Blue top, white pants is the best look for anyone with a color belt imo.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

What are your guys's favorite Judo setups? I would love to hear some osoto gari and harai goshi setups as those are the two I am working on the most :)

I think the double sleeve osoto looks real slick, but I've never been able to accomplish it on anyone who knows any sort of standup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr5EcG-blY0

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

whats the highest weight class possible

I would rather get fat and never have to worry about making weight ever than have to worry about cutting down

If you didnt think body fat percentage matters, this is the weight class thatll make you see different. Ultraheavy is such a miserable weight class. Youre either fighting the stay puft marshmellow man or a 6'5 adonis of pure muscle

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I thought pooping yourself, vomiting, or bleeding too much was a DQ in IBBJF?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yuns posted:

Believe it or not, there is a rule 2.3.5 That says it's a stoppage "When an athlete vomits or loses control of basic bodily functions, with involuntary urination or bowel incontinence." It's not a DQ then it goes to points.

So uh match strategy. Immediately go up 2 points from a take down then poo poo your pants for victory.

No way this wouldn't be a DQ

Edit: Wait I thought the stoppage was a chance to get yourself right and if you couldn't the match would go to your opponent? So a towel and a change of pants in three minutes or DQ in otherwords.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 26, 2019

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I would imagine that it would go to points if, say, there was incidental head contact that results in a cut but a doo doo in the pants is definitely a DQ

making GBS threads your pants may as well be a tap really, if your bowels have given up maybe you should too.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

HamsterPolice posted:

Question: what do you guys look for or ask about when trying out a new gym? There are a couple of others in the area I might try out if the above gym doesn't impress me but I'm not sure what to look for.

Same thing as if your starting out plus an addendum.

Is the mat clean? Are the people douchebags? How does the professor teach classes? Does it look like he focuses mainly on his competition folks while all the hobbiests are left to fend for themselves?

I'd also be looking to see how the professor tends to pair partners or rolling partners if he does it at all. Does he pair high belts with everyone to spread the experience or does he keep the Brown/Purple/Black segregated into their own pool? If you're a ultra/super/regular heavyweight and your professor and high belts are all rooster/feather/light weights does the professor mix his high belts in or does he keep them segregated?

I like my professor and school, but if I had gotten my blue belt under him I would have been a technically inept blue belt, because depending on how my life is going at the time I can easily be a regular/super/ultra heavyweight and him and his high belts run between the 130-165 range and he segregates the big dudes into their own pool and it kinda shows.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Its been awhile since its been said I think.

Hey goon what with the jitsu clothing line. Whens that reap knees for satan rashguard? American XXL wants one two, because I just remembered youre shipping out of Australia.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, I think this is the point that is getting missed. I am not asking how to lose weight, that is not my problem. I am asking about getting into competition shape which involves cutting calories but also making sure you get enough energy that you can still train.

Like, I know how to diet to lose weight. I am talking about diet for competition shape.

Depends on how deep you wanna cut right? I have friends who cut like five or eight pounds to get down a weight class and that doesn't require much effort besides getting to within like three or four pounds for the weigh in and letting the rest get cleared from dehydrating and then hydrating after the weigh in. Most of us can lose a fair bit of weight instantly, by just eating super super clean for a few weeks, and then sweating the rest of the weight off and don't really have to do the super hard kinds of cuts where you have to watch down to the milliliter of water you in take.

On the other side of the spectrum is my friend who walks around at somewhere around 200 with like 12ish% bodyfat, who cuts to around 190 for competition who says its super hellish and he eats pretty much nothing but chicken breast, brussle sprouts, and water, and the week before he has to measure out his water in take.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 6, 2019

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I treat anyone I don't know on the mats as if they're a dangerous spazz.

This backfires when I take elbows to the nose feeding my white belt friends an easy guard kimura.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't understand why people think its a slam to lose against a 16 year old.

That has been training about four years.

That probably has trained the vast majority of the hours available every week.

That has world class level training partners.

That where probably personally involved and invested in making him good at jits.

That are trained by one of the premier coaches in our sport.

I mean if Craig Jones magically flew over here and said "Defense I detect great potential, me and you are gonna train for one year and I'm gonna make you into the best Jitsman in all of pajama grappling, and also here's your living expenses taken care of" I'd probably be beating the breaks off most Brown Belts at the end of the year.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Being armbarred by a fifteen year old is way less scary than realizing you peaked in highschool and here you are in a dead end career in middle management and you're really just running the clock at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yuns posted:

You shouldn't lose your temper but honestly I can't bring myself to care much. Publicly it's all bushido this and honor that but we all know BJJ was born from showmanship bullying and thuggery. Sometimes a meathead doesn't learn until they get a physical lesson.

I like this response.