Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

JaySB posted:

I'm a week out from Nationals and haven't been able to train because of this ringworm and I think I have pneumonia. Go me. Do I say gently caress it and still compete? Or is the smart play to not do that?

dont compete with an illness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's nothing irregularly shaped that I know of. My d&b just doesn't all fit with the cup flush against me. Basically there's enough of a gap on the top of the cup where it isn't flush with my skin big enough I could fit a finger in it. If I push the top flush, the gap moves to the bottom. From what I understand the cup is supposed to be flush all the way around and snug. The shape is right, but i need just a tiny bit more room I think and I'm an idiot and have no idea what to do

I think I can help u out ... i need a little more info about your penis though.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

david carmichael posted:

The most important part of bjj is learning how to do absolutely nothing until your opponent gets frustrated and does something first

I think the most important part is the cumshot

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
I had to send $500 to a paypal account and provide a valid postal address

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

willie_dee posted:

Cross post from the A/T thread.

So I just got back from a casual open mat rolling at my commercial gym with my training buddies and this random guy asks for a roll.

He destroyed me, destroyed me harder than I have ever been destroyed before.

Turns out hes a double Gold medal winner in the Abu Dhabi Grand Slam London at Purple belt level and is now a Brown belt at the most competitive/aggressive BJJ gym in my area.

He hasn't been able to find his matches on youtube from when he won. Apparently it was televised. Does anyone know where I would even start looking? His name was Hugh and he is 85kg.

wow ... youre really good at being near really talented and disciplined people

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Hi, i'm sorry to have to ask here but I dont know where else to look and i assume theres probably at least 1 person in here who fights -- is there a thread for people who compete at amateur fighting as opposed to just grappling? even on a different message board altogether is fine

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
thank you for the replies everyone , merry xmas. :-]

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

how the gently caress do people wrestle every day. we did just doubles and sprawls for an hour today and I want to loving die, somebody got hurt and everyone got a little dinged up. wrestlers are tough and insane.

conditioning .. if you did it every day for a month then youd be used to it

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

I understand this but who the gently caress is showing up for day 2 of wrestling practice? I'm half joking I just wanted to say hats off cause that poo poo is exhausting.

well i dont wrestle specifically but for my own part, i like the feeling .. it feels like im living my life in a contented haze lol

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Neon Belly posted:

Thoughts on concrete?

its really hard, but its durable.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i cant speak for grappling but i would much rather compete against masters than regular amateurs. and not just cos theyre old either :troll:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Decades posted:

Well since we're sharing competition updates, I did my second one a couple weeks ago at grappling industries Manhattan. Long story short got smashed 8 times. Still sorting through some feelings. Competition is hard.

even so, you got a lot better from doing it. competition is where you really get strong and learning how to lose is a part of that. handling a defeat will raise you above everyone who cant handle it because soon enough they wont be competing at all

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

manyak posted:

While were on the topic, yoga/pilates/etc when done properly can be great for correcting posture, improving mobility, and giving you better awareness of your body so that these types of injuries are less likely to occur. I wouldnt write off that stuff so quickly, theres a reason why Rickson and lots of those other guys that grapple into later life all do stretching, breathing exercises, gynastica naturale and so on

this . use it or lose it. and you will lose it .. if you want to be healthy and mobile past your 40s its mandatory to stretch daily (not necessarily right before u do your training, but daily). if you compete for fun or money, you can stay at a higher level for a lot longer this way

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

CommonShore posted:

After action report -

:frogsiren:WHINGE ALERT:frogsiren:

White belt senior. IBJJF rules.
First match gi 0-2 loss
Second match gi 0-6 loss

In neither match did I feel threatened, but the young guys I was fighting wanted it more than me and got a few points over 5 minutes.

First match no-gi 0-2 loss

Second match no gi - I was down 0-2 against the guy who I lost to in my first gi match. And then my opportunity came up - I got him in lockdown and electric chaired him and passed to scarf. 4-2. With 20 seconds left the guy does this weird knee bar to me from behind using his legs and I scream because my knee is being hyper extended. The loving ref gives him the match as my scream to his division-illegal move counted as my submission. BONUS: The ref was my opponent's coach.

I think it's understandable that I'm preeettttty sour on bjj right now. I'm also limping.

you should appeal or whatever the formal QQ process is. if for no other reason than youll feel better about it

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

Right so, bit of a sketch here. Got a competition on Sunday, need some advice re. weight. I'm in the 67.5kg division, this morning I weighed 69.9. Normally this would be fine, I'd train every night, eat minimally and get down to 67.5, I've done this a couple of times before, without any real cut. The problem this time though is that I've twisted something in my knee and I'm unsure if I can train, I'm struggling walking right now to be honest. There's a chance I'll be fine by Sunday. The main thing though is that I'm worried about dropping the 3kgs. What upperbody / low intensity stuff can I do to keep active and off the knee, to help me lose the weight? If that's a no go, I'm considering doing that thing where you drink a lot of water in the week before until the comp, and lose the weight through pissing basically. I've never done this. What is the formula for it? I'm reading slightly different variations. I know this isn't the best preparation but I've trained for this for a few months and if at all possible I'd love to compete. Cheers for your advice.

since its only a week away skip the training . keep up stretches. you could swim if youre the type of person who has to train every day but otherwise i wouldnt bother ... as far as cutting weight ive never done it.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Note that she hasn't fought since then and that lack of a tap ended her already lackluster career.

That sucks

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

they shoudl rename it the merkel since the guy applying it in the preview pic looks like angela merkel

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

yeah you're probably right. that is just an insane amount of money.

i wish they'd start offering some of that up for tournament prizes etc. just like wmma, i am genuinely excited to see where bjj as a competitive sport goes once more than the elite few can make a good living off of it. the evolution of the game even over the last ten years has been insane to watch.

if the prize money goes up, probably the cost of training at a good gym would too, gracie barra or otherwise. and even if the prize money was better it just means pros as well as amateurs who are good enough to be pros will be cleaning up that money too. as i understand it theres no pro license only bjj league so its essentially an amateur sport even if world class grapplers compete in it, i think lower entry fees would be better because its expensive for what you get. id like to compete when i have energy to spare in the winter but for the entry cost of 1 well run grappling tournament i could ride a ferry over to northern france and race bikes every evening for a week

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Captain Log posted:

If I am to speak without any bullshit at all, I think my "journey" with combat sports might be over. It's out of my hands right now, my ankle is hosed. I keep you guys updated on those things because people, on and off the forums that I think don't give a poo poo about me ask for updates. If people ask for updates, I'll put them out and deal with people thinking I'm an idiot.

I set out to fight regardless of the logic because I thought it was a great way to figure out exactly how tough I am. I've discovered what I thought, I'm (according to others) tough as a boot and have fundamental knowledge of distance and tactics learned largely from Muay Thai and fencing. I have no desire to be the best at fighting because I'm not stupid. My health isn't awesome. But if you think my ability to overcome poo poo that kills most people isn't enough for me to keep exploring Jiu Jitsu, all I can say is you do not know me at all.

In my perfect world, I wanted to have at least one amateur fight because I think it's completely attainable. I was told by a poo poo load of doctors it wasn't, and to go to yoga. Then I almost died for unrelated reasons. I've got every reason ever to never go back to a gym and I've had them for a long time. But I think my ankle might be really hosed. I'd like to see where Danaher's body gave out because it happens, and see if it's realistic for me to continue or if I need to trick myself into biking to exercise for the sake of exercising.

P.S. If we are being straight up honest, it's bugged me how certain people, specifically in this thread, have treated me. But I realized a lot of my mental posturing was due to things I couldn't prove. (Like if the problems I perceived actually existed.) So I realized I seemed like I might be a very particular type of bullshit artist. All I can tell you is I do my best to be a honest and funny person and feel more comfortable asking this thread stupid questions. I feel like that's why it exists. If you have a fundamental problem with me, ask me about it. Odds are I'll engage you if I have the time and you might be surprised at how I reason things out.

If you are stupid enough to think posting in a loving thread on somethingawful.com about BJJ has ANY bearing on any realities outside of what exists in your head, get the gently caress over yourself. That is not directed at anyone but it is directed at the concept of someone thinking they are tough on any level for posting on a forum.

TL/DR - For personal reasons I want to read a Danaher book but I'm more concerned with his philosophy of the self than his philosophy of kimuras.

this is going to sound cold but it probably doesnt make any difference to anyone else here whether you go to the gym or not or what youve been through or whatever. you should tell that kind of stuff to your friends or family. at the very least it would make more sense if you got upset at them for some perceived insults instead of some strangers online

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

So, uh, what are people's favourite counters to the, um, single leg?

The Five Paragraph

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Thank you guys and gals. You helped get me to a hospital with a MRI tube with heckling.

Before I go back to quiet, my BJJ prof wants me to keep going because he says my ankle will heal (which the foot doc agreed yesterday, no surgery.) Do YOU kind folks have a recommendation for how to do cardio warm ups in a gym without jogging or looking like a complete dick? Because I think you folks might be uniquely qualified for looking awkward in public. :)

That's so loving cool. I wish this thread had all these vids compiled somewhere.

30 minutes on an exercise bike at just below anaerobic threshold (basically the highest resistance you can spin without lactic building up in your legs). its best if you make it a reasonable effort, you want to be sweating when youre done

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Captain Log posted:

What's your opinion on rowing machines for endurance training? I've been really looking into biking because of my ankles and doc recs.

i dont use them but they should be fine. the highest recorded vo2 maxes in human beings tend to be rowers and cyclists so theres no doubt its good cardio. cycling is very easy on your body, its very very rare to get an acute or overuse injury from cycling alone

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bangkero posted:

Speaking of heart rate monitors, does anyone use one when they grapple? My girlfriend wanted to get me a fit bit for Christmas, but I 86'd that idea since my workouts are mainly grappling and I'm not sure if it will be a hazard to me or my rolling partner.

this is probably not a good idea for grappling. not least because your opponent or sparring partner can read it. but also because its not something you have a ton of control over when youre in direct competition like that. for the purposes of training, its only useful for controlled efforts.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Nierbo posted:

My east indian mate used one while we were rolling at 80% and he got up to 180bpm. Does that seem quite high to anyone else?

if he was really at 80% and not above it then that would make his max hr about 215ish which is uncommon but not strange. it tends to decrease as you age but people in their 30s have recorded 220+. whats more important to know is the difference between your resting and maximum hr

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

CommonShore posted:

I'll play with it a bit next time I'm loving the dog at work.

Thats a ruff job but someones got to do it ... respect

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bangkero posted:

Thanks guys - yeah the chest strap monitor was the one I was thinking if I was to use one but unsure. Good to know.

For grappling, I thought it would help me get a sense of my workout and hopefully make me push my pace (I like metrics). But I guess your point is that it won't necessarily translate to better grappling workouts since a lot of times it will also depend on my partner and what I'm working on and able to accomplish while rolling. Am I understanding that right?

yeah. i mean if youre the stronger guy, maybe you can control the pace, but its not always the case when you spar. so basically unless you have precise control over your level of effort all it can teach you about your workout is whether youre in really deep or if youre cruising ... but the body has its own ways of telling you that kind of thing

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I find it strange that a bunch of you think it is impossible to push a high pace while grappling and that monitoring your fitness levels while doing it is useless.

for uncontrolled efforts its useless .. youre either above the anaerobic threshold, or youre not. it should be plainly obvious either way. oh, but if u use an apple watch i bet u could set it up to play the final fantasy victory fanfare whenever your hr drops back to resting

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The same as monitoring it during any other activity. Are you dense?

you didnt really answer his question .. the value of monitoring hr during cardio is so you can plan and execute training blocks like for example 25 mins threshold 5 mins zone 2 (easy aerobic) etc while keeping your heart rate in check since it tends to steadily drift upwards. you cant do that in sparring unless youre way better and stronger than your partner or otherwise able to totally control what he does in which case u should probably stop picking on the poor guy

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
basically to sum it up wearing a hr monitor without using it for a specific training purpose is a little bit like doing scientific experiments by dumping a bunch of random glowing poo poo into one of those triangle style flasks above a burner and seeing what happens. kinda cool to see what happens probably but not really science

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

What you're telling me is that he should wear it while drilling or flow rolling so it can be in a more controlled environment.

it could find some use there but only if you have something you want to specifically achieve that you need the help of one for. like you actually specifically plan to spend some amount of minutes working at 1 specific level of effort and then more time at another specific level of effort. otherwise its basically just a number you can look at to confirm what your body is feeling , and possibly the time of day and ambient temperature. like fine if u want that, lots of people like that of thing, i just dont recommend trying to take anything useful from it so if someone is asking should i wear a hr, thats the answer ill give

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bangkero posted:

oh and another reason I wanted one was to enter those fitbit challenges my running friends have and be all :smuggo: when I blow their workouts out of the water. But I guess I'm dumb for trying to compare our workouts.

dont worry ... thats a perfectly good reason to wear one

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Opal posted:

Would you really beat a runner doing BJJ in terms of like calorie burn or max sustained HR/average HR?

probably not in terms of hr, but i guess if its like a monthly leaderboard or whatever you can combine it with other exercises . competition is ruthless ... you have to take your advantages where you can

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

ch3cooh posted:

That's what it looks like to my untrained eye. Radiologist is going to review tomorrow morning and send a report to my back doc.

I swear to god if I have to quit bjj due to an injury as a four stripe brown belt I'm going to be a loving wreck

it depends how severe it is but youll be fine in the long run generally. they can usually heal without surgery, my friend had one that he recovered from with physical rehab and he was doing hard cardio after 2 months or so and doesnt get any back pain or any problems now. you can probably expect a much longer recovery if you do need surgery

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
in simple terms, you should train as hard as you like .. then if you need to take a day off because of fatigue then take it. if you try to train in a balanced way all of the time the only thing youll gain is technique and endurance. a friend of mine in track cycling never trains 2 days in a row, that suits him best because he can do strength training at a higher intensity and he is extremely strong. i personally take maybe 1 day off a month and visit the gym only once a week but i'm about 15kg lighter than my previously mentioned friend so my goals in training are different, instead i excel at sustained effort. so it really depends on what your attributes are. but to simply gain raw strength youre better off burying yourself and giving yourself all the time you need to recover

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

JaySB posted:

Yes I'm quite familiar with having started jiu jitsu. Given the choice between literally lay there and get choked and try to hulk out of things and still get choked, trying to hulk out seems like a better option.

Seems like wasted effort if the result is the same

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
as far as grappling goes i only have a couple months of experience but on having a heavy training load my personal stance is that if overtraining is a real concern of yours then your energy is better spent wisely, particularly if you live a life that involves having a manual labour job or other sports you want to train and compete in at the same time. so hulk out at the gym instead .. if you do your conditioning in a controlled environment separate from your grappling classes then you can concentrate wholly on technique and craft in sparring, you can also arrange your schedule so that you know roughly how tired youre going to be feeling based on what types of training youre focused more on doing at a given time and you can give yourself days off or whatever you need accordingly. its best to train while thinking ahead ... as the saying goes, pick your battles

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Nifft posted:

Exhibit A. The Schaub Shutdown.

lol

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

vaginal facsimile posted:

I'm going on vacation for a week. Are there any suggestions to keep from falling off too hard? Plan now is to keep up cardio, maybe do some yoga.

thats really all id do myself. do more cardio than usual if you have energy to spare. rent a bike in that case cos you can get injuries from suddenly running more than youre used to

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
transfer season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Memento posted:

I saw Joe Rogan sperging out about lacrosse balls and thought "my sister in law has some of those from when she played, maybe I'll give it a shot because I can get them for free"

Turns out they're super effective. I use one to release the muscles inboard of my shoulder blades and they work really, really well. I hunch over a keyboard most days (and nights, goon4life) and that area gets tense as gently caress.

be careful with using those near your joints, its better to use a foam roller and just use a golf or tennis ball or something for specific points of tension