Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I admit though that I'm liking the idea of a "judo knife"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
The subtlety that someone who primarily fights in missionary position may miss is that you've got to roll your hips beneath theirs in order to execute the suplex. This is also true for many other standing throws.

Pull their center of gravity over yours and the secrets of the suplex are within your grasp.

I love how in LobsterMobs link the guy literally dry humps his partner's rear end for about 15 seconds and it's totally not weird. No one believes me when I tell them just how homoerotic fighting is.

Novum fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 18, 2012

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Usually the answer to side control problems is to tighten that poo poo up.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Dude tapped out from frustration. Truly the greatest submission of the tournament.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Looks like he was banking on the brazillian 'piss and moan' technique. That part and back to back to back cartwheel guy were awesome.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

quote:

Before Mr. Schultz left, the woman recalled him saying, “I’m sorry. I’m a sick bastard,” court records say.

What the gently caress is seriously wrong with people. Such a bummer on the heels of that cooler, less rape-y Lloyd Irvin tourney vid.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

TwistedNails posted:

Awesome! Now stop posting up on your toes

I do this too much.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Men in Pajamas and Rainbow Pants Against Inappropriate Touching

Mods please rename thread to reflect this.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

It's a doggone shame the Kumite has been so overshadowed by how loving disgusting everything else about team lloyd irvin seems to be.

Nah, I think it's pretty appropriate.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Dangersim posted:

What's wrong with toeholds?

Dangerous stuff really. Doesn't really feel like much until your foot in on upside down.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Tezcatlipoca posted:

They are brown belts, they should know that. If they don't tap it is their own drat fault.

Maybe so, I'm just offering up potential reasons that toe-holds are bad. Not trying to say they shouldn't be allowed.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I call it the foot burrito and it works like a charm against little brothers before they get as big as you.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Saw that the grappling thread had 50 new posts, thought something cool happened. Turns out a guy who admittedly didn't know what a toe-hold was argued for 50 posts about what a toe-hold was.

Was not disappointed. :thumbsup:

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Kekekela posted:

Its the biggest thing to hit the grappling thread since that guy critiqued fatherdog's competition video.

Must have missed that. Did he suck?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

CivilDisobedience posted:

Now it's 'the majority'. If you represent this majority or entirety or whatever I think I'd prefer to keep you laughing.

Not trying to dogpile on you or anything, but I don't know anyone who's ever trained, or given serious thought to training, who doesn't identify 'toe-hold' with the move you've seen posted.

It's probably just time to agree to disagree and let it die.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Goon kumite sounds awesome, but you all have to come to the northeast.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Xguard86 posted:

What is a nice Judo 101 book? I just started judo and would like a basic study aid, preferably with good pictures. I hit amazon google but there's a lot so I need help narrowing my search.

No clue about the books but a fun little starter tip: If you're gonna throw someone to the left, off balance them to the rear. You don't have to set someone up for a throw by trying to unbalance them in the opposite direction like a lot of people seem to try. No one actually over-compensates so hard in the other direction to make it a whole lot easier and it makes the set-up really obvious.

Gonna pull them over for a hip toss? Move them to the side to set it up.

This information might not be sustainable at higher levels of play, but it definitely makes things easier starting out.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
What the hell is wrong with people?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

wait people often comfort themselves with rituals???? :wth:

Of course, that's the part I was baffled by.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Are your toe-holds any good?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Oh no :(

Seriously, when people talk about the origins of the olympics they always show two guys painted on the side of an urn wrestling.

That's a real bummer.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I'd be down to watch some olympic level 'dodge the tennis ball turret'

Sounds like it'd be pretty competitive.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
If Putin can bring back wrestling I will reconsider my stance on him.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Good move buddy.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Thoguh posted:

Ohio State has a very highly regarded coaching staff. I'd say go for that one.

If this man says Ohio then tell that kid to go to Ohio.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Nailed me with that one. So good.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

ch3cooh posted:

Also, most of the data that we can look at for the competition between D1 and D2 guys comes from MMA, Freestyle, and Greco. But like the Chael Sonnen said in the interview at the top of this page, not everything translates across these disciplines. A D2 collegiate wrestler might be a world class freestyle guy, just because his skillset suits those rules better.

This is pretty much how I feel on the subject. D1 is D1 for a reason.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Grow out your neckbeard, don a fedora (this will look great with your gi) and correct him on everything he says. Earn the admiration of the dojo and the student becomes the master. Post in stdh thread.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

If you were to scrap everything you knew about grappling and start again, and choose to build a certain *type* of game, what would you choose?

I would devote all my time and energy to standing throws/suplexes, take down defense, and getting back to my feet and just look like I was better than everyone else all the time.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Stylish is where it's at. I've built my entire fight game except my grappling around shock and awe tactics. I need to rectify this.

Jimmy Pedro, I need a hero.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Looks to me like Red leotard was about to try to transition and Blue leotard caught him just as he started and snagged the leg and powered through.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

CivilDisobedience posted:

Wrestling might be easier to self-teach, I don't know.

Eh, I've tried and I'll say it's not any easier.

If you're competing in gi you should consider Judo, no gi and you should consider wrestling imo. Alternatively if you don't mind being on the bottom just learn how to crabwalk and butt-scoot.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
How fast do you think rules change if instead of my own gi I grow my hair out and grab that to finish chokes?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

colonel_korn posted:

Reminder that CivilDisobedience is the guy who thought a toehold meant literally curling a guy's toes under the palm of your hand.

Oh nice.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Also, why can't you tackle people in basketball? It's all bullshit.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I practice gi and nipple twisting for use in emergency naked fight scenarios. Will youtube some sick ancient Grecian Olympic wrestling dick-grab throws as well.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
That's Sugar Ray Leonard.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
If this dude makes half as much money as Lesnar he probably won't care if he washes out of the sport after 8 fights.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Joke's on you, it's actually a Brazilian Wax Spa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
In the desert throwing water at someone is the highest respect.