Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Really late on this, but I watched Metamoris 3 live and it was really cool. It was the first grappling show I've watched outside of ADCC clips on youtube. Eddie Bravo is awesome, but I already knew that. Royler is kind of a bitch but I sort of already knew that. Royce is an even bigger dick than I thought I knew. As some people may have mentioned Bravo breaking down the match on Rogan's podcast is amazing and if you enjoyed the event you need to watch it (don't listen to the audio podcast).

I just a had a few general thoughts on Metamoris. The addition of Kenny was really good. He was an excellent commentator and his appearance on the MMA Hour to promote the show along with the main got me to watch. However, I'm wondering about the long term sustainability of Metamoris. Jiu Jitsu has a dearth of big names that appeal to casual viewers, even more so than MMA or boxing. So while the 11 year rematch between Bravo and Royler was really good, you're not gonna be able to consistently generate that much buzz. I can see them tapping the same fighters a lot, which can be fun, but with a lack of belts and rankings along with a lot of draws it is a hurdle for the casual viewer. The weight match ups vary a lot as well and they haven't even ironed out (no pun intended) whether pants or shorts are the way to go for no-gi matches. Right now, it is cool and pretty laid back but it seems the organization is looking to become more and more mainstream and some of the aforementioned issues could hinder that growth. Anyways other good stuff was the crowd and the drummers. I guess having a small crowd that's knowledgeable about jiu jitsu helps a lot in creating an excitable and polite atmosphere. It's nice to see people not booing when stuff goes to the ground and reacting to more intricate maneuvers. I still like MMA crowds (barring Brazil and Vegas) who in general are more boisterous and will call out people for coasting but the Metamoris crowd was a cool change of pace. I'll most likely be watching the next one.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

Considering his being a Gracie, he comes off ok in this article imo

"I dominated the first 10 minutes of the fight" "Nothing he did was impressive" "Him beating me in ADCCs was not him winning it was me making a mistake" "He can't submit people with the moves he used". Sorry he still comes off as a shithead. Oh also he mentioned he was almost 50 about ten times. Eddie is only 5 years younger.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

All Gracies are on my poo poo list until I've seem them be cool/found out about them being cool. Gracie until proven innocent.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yea he talked about it on the MMA Hour. Basically he got two guys near the same weight and experience and they'll be announced day of so they can't gameplan. I don't think he's making it up for more buzz, the card is stacked already for their standards.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

How are they planning on having titles if it's so easy for matches to end in a draw?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

BlindSite posted:

Rickson is such a dick. I know he's probably one of, if not the best Gracie at BJJ, but he was pretty much absent when it came to Kron's career until Kron became an irresistible grappling force of awesomeness, now he wants to help / take credit. Kron talked about it when he was on that his dad didn't train him much as a youngster and was pretty much absent whenever Kron asked him for help.

I don't know why I'm defending a Gracie but... if i remember Kron's episode on Rogan's podcast this really isn't the case. Kron was kind of ambivalent about pursuing BJJ (and wanted to be a skateboarder) until he was like 15 or 16 after his brother gave him a talk. At that point Rickson's back was hosed and his marriage was ruined (i think?) and he went back to Brazil to relax. Kron said he grew up with his dad teaching him poo poo and that he'd call him on the phone about BJJ and work out stuff in person when they could. Rickson could very well be an rear end in a top hat, but I'm pretty sure he taught Kron as a kid and gave him advice as an adult.

e- We could be mixing up details here and there but I certainly didn't come away with the feeling "wow Rickson's a dick" from listening to Kron's ep.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 23, 2014

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I don't train BJJ either, but I was wondering about the injuries as well. Obviously it's promoted as safer than contact martial arts, but a lot of top BJJ guys seem to have really hosed up backs which just sounds awful. Is that an inevitability of training, or are they so high level that theyre training at a crazy intensity most people wouldn't?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Xguard86 posted:

A little of both. Again intensity, awareness of bad positions/movements and luck. There are 30 years of training black belts walking around like spring chickens and purple belts with 3 knee surgeries.

Sitting on the couch will kill you too. I remind myself of that when I get anxious about the future.

I work out and play soccer, I get that stuff has risks, I've just heard a lot about back issues in BJJ and wanted to know a bit more whether it was a thing only elite practitioners dealt with or a more common injury.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Mardragon posted:

I'm not sure the shoes had any real effect I would say the what looked to be a 60 lbs weight advantage had some effect.

That's an exaggeration. I myself thought Dean looked bigger than 220 and Barnett himself said that Lister felt way heavier on the MMA hour (choose to believe him or not, but he doesn't really come off as a liar). There was probably about a ˜35 lb weight difference which happens in HW MMA anyways

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Seriously though, I'm curious what type of gym is it where you're big at 5'11? I'm not making the obvious TAM joke.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Novum posted:

Ichi you are new to combat sports if I'm not mistaken and your sentiments are nice but during a competition you must put your faith in the refs and the sanctioning bodies to protect the competitors. Competitors are only obligated to compete as well as they can.

The samurai code can not be broken dude.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Josh Barnett subbing Dean Lister and telling people to respect Catch Wrestling and Pro Wrestling was probably the 2nd best moment in Metamoris after Eddie Bravo besting Royler then Royce flipping out.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I think Doug might be an idiot Captain Log.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Pocket Billiards posted:

The wrestling portion is very USA-centric, this a country that came 10th at the last world championships in Men's FS.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Thoguh posted:

I don't think I'm going to have time to put together a big effortpost for the NCAA Wrestling Championship this year. Does somebody else want to do it? Or just chat about it in here?

Ahh c'mon man. I remember your write up was pretty good last year. I like watching the wrestling but it's worse when I know literally nothing about it, and I think your the only big fan around these parts.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Nice

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

How much longer is this running/any good wrestlers coming up?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I just did a couple free drop in classes for the first time and I had a good deal of questions. A bunch of them I'm sure have been asked here 1,000 times. Is there a list of beginner questions somewhere in the thread or should I just rattle off my questions?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ha, I pretty much gathered all those from doing some reading beforehand. I had other more specific questions. (sidenote, I had all the hygienic stuff down including clipping nails because I'm not a filthy animal but I did make one big rookie mistake. I washed my loaner gi before the second class, but I left it in my car in the sun all day beforehand so when I went to do errands that afternoon it was extremely unpleasant.)

I'll just list the two questions I have off the top of my head right now. First, I developed some pretty serious abrasions on my fingers (below the nail left hand) to the point where two started bleeding the second lesson (stopped and got tape obviously). How do I prevent that/care for them. I know mat burn is normal but this is a lot worse (I think it was from me grabbing the guy's gi when free rolling at the end. I had literally know idea what to be doing so I might've roughed up my hands that way). Second, what's the consensus on cups? Are there comfortable ones to slip into compression shorts or something like that? Do most people wear them?

I'll try to think of my other questions later.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Alright part 2 of my questions. I assume this varies wildly region to region, but what is the average pricing for reputable schools? I'm in central NJ. Adding to that if anyone could give me a shortlist of good gyms in central NJ it would be appreciated (willing to drive a bit, Also I'm aware there's about 1,000 gyms here which has made picking one hard.) The first gym I visited I kind of randomly chose to get a feel for what a class would be like. The instructors were good but the class was small and it was mostly younger women and 35+ yr old dudes. I'm assuming that's not uncommon in beginners classes, but if I signed up for a bunch of months I'd like to be going to a class with more than one dude around my age. What is an average class size like? (again I know this varies)

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

lamb posted:

Can I ask, why you want to be in class with people your age?

I'd prefer to spend hours each week with people closer to my own age. Is that really a weird idea to grasp?

Yuns posted:

There are a ton of great places in NJ. My teammate Garry Tonon has a school Brunswick BJJ in South Brunswick; our affiliate Tom DeBlass has a school Ocean County BJJ in Forked River, Ricardo Almeida has his school in Robbinsville, NJ, Renzo has his branch in Holmdel. I don't know what pricing is like in central NJ but it can be 180-250 per month in Manhattan. It'll be less in central NJ but not sure how much less. Fatherdog should know much better than I do.

Thanks.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Can anyone give me a time-frame on returning to train after a pulled hamstring? I was still trialing gyms but took a break due to a soccer injury. It wasn't a bad pull (no bruising) but I want to play it safe.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Here's the video. Skip around cause it's long. "sub" happens at about 4 minutes.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1426h_jeff-monson-vs-pe-de-pano-cruz_sport

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I finally fully signed up to a good gym after sorting out my hamstring issues. I asked some beginner questions earlier but I'd like to ask a few more. What's the cup consensus, last time their was a split iirc. I was planning on doing no cup 4 lyfe until my second lesson where my partner kneed my balls twice during a toss drill. As for my other questions, what's a good amount of times to train each week to make significant progress. I want to get competetent but I don't want to burn out so I'm planning on three times a week because I play soccer/basketball, weightlift, etc. Hard to fit in a 4th time doing all that but I've seen posts of new students wanting to get in 6 times a week. Lastly I'm completely green having never done any grappling before so I'm obviously feeling a bit slow compared to other white belts who have wrestled etc. Are there any fundamental fundamental movements to get down that I can practice in my own time so I don't have to figure out the extreme basics during drills. Lastly how long is it usually before gyms let beginners spar? I did a drop in at one place where I sparred without incident my first session. At my actual gym the instructor had me sit out but later told me the gym is generally pretty lenient compared to most gyms when it comes to letting white belts spar. Obviously they have to size up that you don't panic, spaz, or try stupid stuff and that's not in my character but I understand that's hard to get across until they've seen me on the mats for a bit. How long did it take most of you to start sparring a week, 6 months?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

manyak posted:

Theres no good reason not to wear a cup, just wear a cup so your balls dont get crushed, unless you hate the feeling of wearing a cup more than the feeling of your sack getting injured

Youll get plenty better training 3 times a week especially at first. Just train as much as you want, and a good thing with BJJ is once you get to a certain point of competence in moving your body around you can actually get a lot of mileage out of visualization and thinking about techniques off the mat too

Sparring in BJJ is usually called rolling in order to differentiate it from striking arts where sparring means hitting each other. You should be allowed to roll pretty much right away as long as you arent a spaz and there are good training partners who match up size-wise with you. Usually worst case scenario they notice youre being a spaz and get a brown/black belt to effortlessly beat you up to show you what its supposed to look like, its not like boxing where doing that would involve severe brain damage so its pretty easy to rein guys in. You should be rolling very soon

Cool. Yea I just remember people being diehard no cup dudes and the one guy I asked the first day basically said he saw no point to it. Maybe I got unlucky re: the toss exercise ending in nut shots? Are there like compression shorts with a soft cup, I'd think about that over something really uncomfortable.

As for rolling yea I've heard different things from different instructors, the first guy was pretty cautious (it was my 1st day) the second guy had no qualms with me rolling at the end but I had cut my foot open from mat burn to the point it was bleeding a lot so I called it quits early. Again he said they're lenient which is cool, he said another good gym in the area requires someone to have two stripes before sparring which seems excessive. My major concern about rolling isn't spazzing out or not respecting people (i did fine the few times I did it) I just feel bad being so useless against higher ranked dudes and basically becoming and instantly submittable grappling dummy and wasting their time (though I assume every new whitebelt feels like this)

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 1, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

See I think I just got unlucky, but again I was wondering if there was a soft cup, a Crumple Cup if you will.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

A few more questions. I already think I know the answer to both but whatever. First off, I've been really soft with my partners to not be that new guy who does something stupid but I was told at least once by my partner and instructor to go harder. I'm assuming people know well enough when to tap even if they're other white belts? I was doing my tosses with some of the force taken out and when we were drilling RNCs I was kinda not full forcing it. We also did some transition that required putting a lot of force on a grounded forearm to use as a lever and I didn't know how much to really drive in. I have no problem when other people toss me into the air or choke me hard but as I said I don't want to be that new guy loving up. Second question, I lift three times a week, it's a pretty basic set of routines I rotate every other few months on the advice of a friend who's a personal trainer but I was wondering if there were any lifts to add in take out that would help with bjj (the answer is probably as long as I'm doing normal lifts it should be enough I assume).

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 3, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Do you mean that you're doing things like letting go of an arm bar in a drill before your opponent taps?

Nah just not really cranking hard, kinda slowly pulling harder until I get a tap when I could be doing it quicker/with more force (I'm doing it slower than my partner for sure). And with the forearm lever thing I was kinda placing my foot on the forearm instead of really driving through.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Do the drill. If the drill is supposed to hurt, make it hurt. It's the only way you'll learn how to do it correctly. Stay under control, but have some faith in your partners and coaches to keep things safe.

I figured as much, I think I just needed to be told it. It's obviously all completely new to me so slamming my foot into my 16 yr old 130 lb whitebelt partners arm feels unnatural at this juncture despite him being a lot more skilled than me.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

My instructor let me roll with him today at the end and and then said I was a lot better and had way better instincts than most new white belts which was nice to hear. I even was allowed to even roll with my blue belt partner towards the end and somehow got side control after 4m 30s of getting crushed. So hopefully I'll be rolling regularly pretty soon. My last question is what should I be using in the shower after practice, defense soap is the one always reccomeneded but someone said head and shoulders has the same chemicals and is way cheaper or something?

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 4, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Now I'm super paranoid. Do most people here wear a full rashguard under their gi? I've been rolling in boxers an undershirt under my gi. I thought showering thoroughly and staying up on gi cleaning was enough. Also Commonshore do you have a brandname for that soap? I might just order some bulk off amazon if they have it.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

manyak posted:

You dont have to be as OCD as lots of bjj guys are with no skin exposed and all that poo poo if you dont want to, if you train at a relatively clean gym and you wash your gi and shower thoroughly after you will be fine. Also the takeaway from Commonshores thing is that you dont need any fancy soap, Ivory is just brand name normal soap, the mechanical action of scrubbing your body and the emulsifying effect of the soap is better for killing microbes than anti-bacterial soap and has the added bonus that it doesnt cause antibacterial resistant strains to evolve

Wear whatever you want really, at more old school gyms they wont want you to wear stuff under your gi, i dont like it when guys wear a loose tshirt or whatever under their gi because a) theres not really a point, b) it looks corny as poo poo, and c) you can get your fingers caught on the loose material when you go for lapel and collar grips and stuff

Ok, yea my gym seems pretty drat clean and the people I've met so far all have good hygiene. As for the soap commonshore mentioned a cheap soap with the tea tree oil but didn't give a name, I wasn't referencing ivory. I've not worn anything loose because as you said it would be clumsy and also look goofy. Just a tight white undershirt for now.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 5, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I asked this earlier but any specific lifting advice? Also I have long limbs but poor flexibility, will rolling help with that or should I look into outside exercise to do something about it?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Gramps posted:

I'm on the hunt for a jiu jitsu school after taking way too much time off from martial arts after becoming a (fat) dad. My plan is to take whatever free trial classes that are offered at the schools that are reasonably close to me and see how I like the vibe. Any pointers as to what I should look for in a good club? I know I want to go somewhere that rolls as much as possible, but what else should I be looking for?

I'm only two weeks in but my suggestion would be to do thorough research before you join a spot. I'm very happy with the gym that I found and it was probably the 5th one I thought about. It's only a little farther away than the others but between it and the school I was thinking about joining it has better high level instructors, a better vibe, better facility, and is cheaper somehow. Drop ins are great for taking in the vibe of a school.

All of this is reminding me of a post earlier in the thread when a guy asked ,me why the vibe of the students/ wanting to be around people my age (20s/30s) was part of my criteria. I'm not looking to make best friends, but my new gym is extremely chill and it makes things a lot more fun to spend 3-4 hours a week with people you enjoy. There are younger and older people as well but it's not as skewed as some other gyms I checked out. Both the younger and older crowd are cooler at my gym too so everything's all good.

1st AD posted:

Are you talking about weight lifting? I have a book titled "Becoming a Supple Leopard" and it has a bunch of mobility exercises you can do which should help with flexibility.

Yea I was mainly talking about lifting. I do meat and potato lifts and was wondering if there was anything worth throwing into the routine. My flexibility is pretty bad and has been since I was a kid, I was wondering if training would help me be more felxible or if I should look into further exercise outside the gym.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Can anyone recommend something for feet mat burn that works as a cover? I tried Bandaids nope, bandaids with paper tape wrap nope, Bandaid activ-flex worked on one foot sort of and came off on the other. I'm legit debating shaving my toe hair to make the activ flex stick better next time before class because I had the most success with that. I've got two nasty burns on both the tops of my feet and I'd like to keep them covered after the mat infection paranoia this thread has given me.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

fatherdog posted:

Cover them with bandaids and cover the bandaids with athletic tape, wrapped all the way around the foot.

I did that and it got sweaty and I think the tape moved the bandaids around more and it came off my foot. I tried with cloth tape and athletic tape. There seems to be to much movement + sweat for it to work. I'm sick of being the mummy dude.

Alfalfa posted:

Vet tape is the most amazing thing ever for this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UE...GlyL&ref=plSrch

I have a roll of this but it seems like you need to tape over it as well? I only used it on a toe and it was worthless so I didn't try it on my foot so maybe I'll give it a shot if the active flex band aid doesn't work next time. Today I had put the bandaid on before a 3 hour bikeride in the city and then went to bjj so that was probably a stupid idea for getting the max durability out of it.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Use a piece of gauze, not a bandaid, wrap it in paper tape, wrap that in vet wrap, use a piece of tape to secure the vet wrap. You're gonna have to be a mummy if you want to protect the mat burn.

I did the paper tape + sports tape wrap and since the burns are on the bridge of my foot it's a lovely place to tape because no matter how hard I tape it there's so much movement going on there it fails pretty quickly. I'm gonna shave my toe and try the active band aid fresh and then I'll get drastic if that fails. I've got terrible bottoms of my feet as well right now (not burns just abrasions and dead skin) since soccer season just started and my feet aren't calloused yet. I feel bad for my training partners. I need to get a pedicure and superglue to sort all this poo poo out.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 10, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

I do a 2x a week program. Anymore fucks with my jiu jitsu too much, and I don't push myself much at all to go for gains. I'm looking more to maintain my strength and prevent injuries.

Thanks man. I'm in the process of switching to 2x a week now as well. My friend is gonna draft me up a routine but I'll take a look at yours as well.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I got back from no-gi and and noticed a bunch of circular marks on my inner arm. Initially I thought I got really unlucky and got something from the mat but I've been fastidious with the hygiene. As the time went on the marks are now purple/brown and look a lot like bruises. Two questions, can sparring cause small circular bruises like this (spread apart but some clusters), also I'm it's assuming it's not possible for a mat disease not to show up only 10 minutes after class? I bruise easy and my wrestler friend said it could just be burst capillaries or something but I want the internet to make me feel less paranoid. I have no cuts or anything on that location on my arm.

e- I know it's not ringworm, i've seen that. And nothing has spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yuns posted:

Those are likely bruises from the fingertips of people gripping you. If you are a beginner in grappling or are susceptible to bruising you will get those. You should stop getting them after a while.

Ok this explanation makes sense. It's worse on my right arm which I was using a lot more. I was wondering how I could get bruises like this from say just being driven into the ground.