Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
Suppose an untrained, no belt player had around thirty minutes a day to train/condition during quarantine. Any ideas where to begin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
first day of bjj today at GB Seattle two or so hours from now. As a 6’3” 182 pounder with long legs, anything I should be focused on developing?

e: incredibly psyched to start. I’ve been doing a shitload of kettlebell work and calisthenics in preparation

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 2, 2020

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Really good lungs

Edit: I’ll be less facetious, now is like the worst time possible you could start trying to learn BJJ at any weight or height. Do something else for a bit then come back to this in a year or so.

Just caught up with the thread. It’s weird that WA reopened at all given how militant and on the ball Inslee was about lockdown initially. Haven’t heard any plans to shut poo poo down yet, though. Pretty unambiguous ethical quandary but gently caress... it’s open

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
Well I’ve historically over-relied on copious exercise for mental health and at this point I feel like the risk to my life is worth it just to balance out a bit

Thanks for the input, folks!

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
Yeah I’d probably not take the risk if I had anyone depending on me. Luckily I’m just sorta casually seeing an ICU nurse so if anything I’m endangering everyone else (covid test came back negative On Monday so I feel okay about it)

Super appreciate the input. Especially Jay - you’re right, I’m getting ahead of myself. No delusions of grandeur here; at most, hoping the core and full body tension poo poo I’ve learned through kettlebells and climbing translates just a little

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
Sound advice. As a prideful man, especially. Biggest worry I have is inadvertently hurting a smaller fellow white belt due to a combination of adrenaline and a lack of bjj coordination. I’ll do my best to focus on breathing while maintaining core tension!

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
Everyone was super nice and made me feel like I was semi-competent. Unfortunately no live-rolling, potentially tomorrow. We did a lot of stand up throw down drilling since I was mostly in with blue and purple belts and no issues.

Thanks again everyone!

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
Six sessions in and I peeled a ton of skin off the top of my foot during ‘thumb turn arm bar escapes’. The shower sucked but rolling after practice has been fun. Looking forward to the day my arm or nose breaks

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Someone from my Judo Club rolled his eyes at me when I told him I was waiting for a vaccine. I know to avoid that juice monkey in the future.

I understand not wanting to rejoin the gym but to hold someone’s agitation against them during a particularly unsettling time seems a little wrong-headed and petty

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
something to do with your bean bag?