Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hi there grappling thread.

I'm looking for pretty entry level leg lock defences. I've spent an hour or so on youtube. From you guys I'm looking no so much for specific techniques but guidelines. ie when opponent has my foot in this position, grab his head to prevent him moving backwards. Or, "don't put your foot there, dummy". Pretty basic stuff only, I've trained a bunch but not leglocks and I've been out of the game for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

#1 - Hand fighting. Buddy has your leg? Grab his hands.

#2 - Work to get your knee out.

This is great.

Thanks to the others too. I can't really move my neck today so I don't know when I'll be back to class. When I do go I'll try and drill some of the base positions.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I haven't trained in around 5 years. But before that, I was 5 years in, and a blue. I got my blue a lot later than others in my school for some reason, so I spent a long time as white belt that was equal with 1 year+ blues and would often surprise blues from other gyms that visited.

When I was serious I'd train 3 times a week. For a brief period I trained 4 and even 5 times a week and my skill really jumped. Could only maintain that a little while though.

I gradually fell out of it. I started training other things. Sambo, kickboxing, going to BJJ less and less. I'd basically quit when I showed up and it was promotion day. I got my blue but didn't stick around much after that. I've been on an extended work trip and have been training a bit, which is why I'm in this thread. Only x1 a week a low level gym. After 5 years it was nice that I earned the respect of the senior guys when I rolled with them, but overall I'm pretty bad now.

Its mostly motivation for me. I know I can get back into it, but can I keep up my attendance after 3 months?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

JaySB posted:

It's mostly this.

Well that and it's super annoying when I show up for a scheduled class and the instructor doesn't show up. A couple times I've had to go get the key from someone and just open the gym because people have been waiting.

That is simply unprofessional and you should definitely bring it up with someone.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

HamsterPolice posted:

It's more like they have stood up and brought me with them so my back is off the ground, probably because I am a lighter guy I guess. Seems like they are burning a ton of energy to do this and I don't see a way for them to pass my guard without straight up slamming me on the ground and expecting me to open my guard on impact. I'll try to find a pic that describes it.

edit:

It depends on what ruleset you're using. To me though, the threat of being slammed (even though its typically illegal) is enough for me to profoundly not like this situation. I'd open my guard to prevent from being lifted, or as mentioned break their posture to prevent the lift the in the first place.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

spandexcajun posted:

Congratulation!

Purple seems like the belt where you really get magic powers (as a lovely 9 month blue belt).

This does seem to be the case. When I first started I liked rolling with my black belt instruction to trying to wrestle with literal water. Blue belts are good and tough but still clearly human. Purple and up is where it seems the supernatural is involved.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I got into UFC with TUF 1, after that started watching PPVs. Joe Rogan's commentary taught me the positions and submissions. I think there was something slow and systematic about it that appealed to me.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hey guys, looking some quick white belt tips

Been training for about two months now, trying to get in at least three classes a week and just looking for tips/perspective on endurance and cardio. I'm usually dead the next day, and I usually blow up after about my fourth round of rolling during class. Any tips for improving endurance, or any perspective on how long it takes to get used to frequent training. I feel crappy if I skip a day because I feel exhausted but don't want to unreasonably push myself.

Conserve your energy.

This doesn't mean stop fighting, or be passive. But use less strength and explosive power in your moves. Consciously relax your muscles. Breath, regularly and deeply-- especially when getting crushed.

Conversely, keep moving. ALWAYS do the technique properly-- don't slack off or take shortcuts when you're gassed. When in a bad position, make the defensive movements required.

Fighting like this is better for your BJJ, your technique will improve more quickly when you don't use strength to force things. Your fitness will also improve, as you'll end up moving more. Instead of gassing partway through, you'll be able to go at a good pace through all your rolls. And you'll have some gas in the tank for when you need a strong bridge or a doubleleg.

Does your school do conditioning drills? Ideally you have other ways of conditioning aside from rolling

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

I need help. What are the things you guys do to take care of your feet?

I've been wearing combat boots every day for 20+ years and my feet look like the surface of the moon.

I trim my toenails, I use the goldbond foot cream, I've even used my wife's foot sandpaper thing. Even with that I've still got messed up toenails, thick cracked up calluses, and just ugly feet (but clean).

What creams work well for you guys? Also, has anyone had any success in smoothing your skin/removing calluses?

I've never noticed anyone's foot calluses while rolling. I've got better things to pay attention to.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

butros posted:

Usually the way it goes is when the round starts, one partner will stand up to start passing and the other will respond by laying back to playing guard. Most guys follow a rule of thumb my professor has that if his opponent doesn't start to try to pass within three seconds, he will. So you rarely see stalemating/patty-cake on the knees.

I've also noticed that the higher ranking belt in rolls will often start a roll by immediately laying back to play guard and to let the lower ranked guys try to work their passes (though eventually it's also pretty much inevitable that mid-roll the the higher belts to transition to a passing/top game) .

I am not a huge fan of starting from knees and wish we would do more from standing, but my understanding is that it's mostly related to having a lot of guys in a small space.

My favorite type of rolling is actually situational sparring - for example we're working on back attacks this week so our professor is having us roll from that position - guy on the back is working to submit, or transition to mount, guy with his back taken is trying to escape and get to his knees facing. Any of those end-points result in a reset to the starting position. I like that approach as it really helps me dig in on certain positions, and also giving me the chance to work what we've been going over within defined parameters that help me keep focused on internalizing those techniques.

This post is where its at. My old gyms almost never did situational sparring. But those few times I did do I still remember the lessons like 10 years later.

And yeah midget wrestling sucks. I consider it a bit rude to stand up right away, but once engagement has been made its fair game imo. BJJ should focus on more standup generally as an art, its a big downside.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I had three straight rounds today against guys who like to work diaphragm chokes and god I feel like death now hahaha

wtf is a diaphragm choke? Knee on belly?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

I've got one of those from s mount. It's very interesting to see the reaction go from "this is uncomfortable" to "holy gently caress I can't breathe, I have to tap to this bullshit"

Yeah I've got kinda half one. I can tap white belts only with it though, and after I tell them to not tap to pressure.

I basically just do s-mount but kinda angle my hip/butt to sit right in the middle of their chest, usually pulling on the back of their head. How do you do yours?

This is not really related, but when I was a white a big purple who taught the class would submit me by opening his gi, pushing his bare chest into my face then closing the gi around my head. From mount of course, and he had a heavy mount.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

Yep! Although I put a leg under their head and grab it (making sort of a lovely triangle) to pull on the back of their head.

It's great!

Kinda like this?

I'm struggling to remember the details of mine, its been too long. I'd need a dummy to figure it out, but I think my foot is usually under the shoulder instead of under the head.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Was the "does akido work" thing discussed in this thread? An akido guy of like 10 years lightly sparred with an MMA guy, and it went as you'd imagine.

I really like seeing martial arts against each other, even if they're crappy quality or one-sided. Reminds me of the early UFC days.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I will always cherish how the first UFC fight ever was a tiny french kickboxer KOing a dude three times his size in less than a minute

You might want to watch that again, Gordeau was far from tiny.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I really like the idea of assignments. Can you expand on this concept? Like, are there other things that go along with assignments? Are assignments completed, or does another one just supersede the previous? Will one build on another?

I'm wondering what happens when you have several people in a gym with different assignments. Its a very interesting idea, I feel you could do a lot with it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Odddzy posted:

I've been told wrestlers do handless bridges as the previous poster said. It's a great exercise that I should do more often.

Handless bridge? I can't imagine doing bridges with my hands, how would they even help?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You're bridging on your head.

Oh ok. My bridges are also with my arms up, but shoulders down.

That's... certainly a way to get a stronger neck.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Captain Log posted:

Hey guys - quick question -

Does anyone here know of any gyms that do Disabled BJJ? Over the last year I've lost use of my legs but still have a big urge to compete. If it's MS, my doc says I could probably get healthy enough to compete in grapple sports again. But is this a thing?

I've done a good deal of googling and found single events, but not a disabled league or anything like that.

Oh, I'm near Portland if it matters.

Hope you guys are still kicking rear end!

I've never heard of Disabled BJJ as a separate discipline. I'd just go to a regular BJJ gym that seems appealing and talk to the instructor. I'd not thought about this before, but BJJ really is a great sport for people with disabilities, and I don't think you'd have a hard time fitting in or taking most of the classes.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Captain Log posted:

About a year ago I was in talks to go train with Team Quest for a single fight and continue if it went well. (It wouldn't have)

An MMA fight?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

Chin Locks are no joke and not something to be screwed with. A broken neck or broken jaw is not a fun time I assume.

Are there any examples of a neck being broken like this, or by other BJJ chokes?

I've often found it a bit funny while watching martial arts movies, where all it takes is a flick of the wrist and the bad guys neck is broken. But irl I've seen some necks twist in some very disturbing ways to no ill effect.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Neeber posted:

My coach always stresses position before submission includes peeling dangerous grips before passing. Might be worth aborting the pass to strip grips until you figure out what you can get away with. Or just learn through trial and error getting choked in embarrassing positions. That's my favourite way of learning.

I got choked unconscious learning this lesson. By the time I realized the choke was still on in side control, I was waking up on the mat with everyone around me and I didn't know what day it was.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

spb posted:

What do you do if you get choked out? Do you take some time off? That poo poo is scary to me

What, no. I was fine after a couple minutes. My instructor insisted I take a couple rounds off, but I was rolling again shortly after.

Honestly it was a good experience. No pain or discomfort at all. And it showed me exactly where that point of no return was for me. I literally had the thought "I need to tap" but I was too far gone to turn it into a hand motion.

Its disorienting when you wake up-- I felt at first like a great deal of time had passed, and I was dumb enough to ask "was I unconscious?" but your memory and functions return within seconds.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Was it somebody in here who told me that it's possible to just grit your teeth and ignore the "grind elbows into thighs" guard pass? Like there's no actual damage beyond bruising? I love the idea of just blank face staring at people who do it to you and waiting for them to give up.

I'm gonna feel dumb if I try it and I start bleeding internally or something.

The pain shouldn't make you do anything. Now if they're using their elbows to leverage your legs apart that's a different story.

I used to be largely immune to it (after lots of training). I rolled for the first time in years a couple months ago, and a 14 year old girl practically made me weep when she used her elbows on me.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If someone's grinding their elbows you can just post and technical stand up into a front headlock or whatever. There are much better positions than guard and if your opponent isn't stopping you from moving you should do so!

A man after my own heart.

Though, you have to be quick with it, since someone using pressure/pain to open your guard probably has an idea of what to do when it does open.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I was never good at kimuras, but its my favorite name for any technique in BJJ.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I did a trial class yesterday.

I trained a bit a few months ago, but before that it was years, so I'm really out of practice and shape.

The place was tiny, the class was only 4 people, but the purple belt instructor was nice and knowledgeable. We did triangles from z-guard (I'd never done that position before). He was great to roll with, and just destroyed me. He'd go for a kimura grip from seemingly anywhere and when I defended the armlock he'd take my back. I felt like a stupid weak baby trying to pass his guard.

Funny you guys were just talking about Von Flue. I remembered the name finally today, as I was telling my training partner about it yesterday. He ended up getting Von Flue'd by the instructor for doing the wrestlers thing of holding a headlock while in bottom side.

My neck is so loving sore today from having that wrestler guy headlock me from everywhere, jesus.

In conclusion, BJJ is good.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cups suck, except in competition where they are handy and sometimes mandatory.

I wear nothing under my... uniform.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Novum posted:

Unless I have my wires crossed closed guard is frowned upon now because of how BJJ rules score defensive stuff like that vs more aggro stuff that scores you points.

I don't think competition scoring has changed in a long time though?

Closed guard is basically a static, defensive position. You learn it when you're new because its easy to do and you're constantly on the defensive. Its frowned upon because it doesn't actually do anything but stave off defeat for a bit, but this is the bread and butter of a white belt.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

exceptionally stupid question

do you guys wash your belts? I thought you aren't supposed to wash them on principle, but some of the other white belts have way cleaner belts than I do.

Some people say don't. But I always did. My white was definitely off-white by the end though.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

It’s a tradition from older martial arts I think.

I was told that the belt system started because way back in the day someone who had the most off-white belt would be the guy training most, until they just formalized it by dying it black to represent experience.

I think you should wash your belt shits gross.

I thought Kano came up with it for Judo.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Neck soreness!

I've signed up for BJJ classes for the first time in probably 5 years. I've trained a few times this year, and I get quite a lot of soreness/tightness in the back of my neck. The sensation starts while I'm training, carries over after the class and into the next day. Its the back of my neck somehow, kinda where my neck meets my back. I was sure to stretch my neck before class the last two times but the soreness came anyway. I thought it was from over zealous training partners cranking on my neck (and my atrophied muscles used to posture up). But this last class I noticed tightness well before rolling-- I think we were doing forward and backward rolls as warmups and I was already feeling it.

The solution is to just keep practicing I think, and my neck will get stronger. In the meantime, does anyone have any stretches, or warm ups, or exercises that might help me through this?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

EDIT: I always wondered why guys in full mount never escape by hooking their legs around their opponents sternum and pulling them backwards, and my very first roll I did that and found out its banned :/ Been looking for a crazy legs mount reversal ever since

Wow that's banned? A guy did this to me years ago. Threw his feet up, and used them to push on my chest, forcing me to lean back. I tapped to it-- I couldn't lean very far and I couldn't roll, it was really straining my back.

I threw my legs up to threaten this just the other day. This is banned even if the leg is not targeted?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I also sometimes will be rolling with one of the higher belts and they will have me in something and be like "you have no idea what to do now huh?" and end up showing me something. Just trying to have more options so I am less of a fish on the mat.

Like even if going for a belt hook will only work 1 out of 99 times I would rather have it as something to try other than squirm and await death

There's nothing wrong with have a lot of moves in BJJ. I would sometimes catch people in triangles from beneath side control, and leg lock guys who crossed their legs while in rear mount. They'll work usually just once per person (if at all) and rarely on a higher rank. But hey they're still fun.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I've been back to training, and have been doing ok with no gi. Tonight was my first time in 5+ years training in a gi and good lord, my body was a playground for others. I can't say it felt good to be back to it, but I believe gi is important to train so I'll keep doing it along with the no-gi.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

How do you guys decide what to get better at?

Do you choose individual techniques and practice those? Or maybe a position, and doing various techniques from there. Or maybe some looser philosophy, like maintaining top control or attacking leg locks, and drilling based off that. When do you add a new technique to your arsenal, instead of practicing existing ones? How much is this based on what you see in rolling, and from the techniques shown in regular classes?

I'm asking because I've recently gotten back into BJJ after a years layoff. My game, such as it was, is largely gone and I'm basically a beginner again. I find myself wondering if I should resurrect my old style or build something new. I'm looking at a lot of techniques on youtube and in books but I can only realistically train a couple at a time. I'm wondering how others make these choices.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

spb posted:

Trying to remember what happened during a roll where you got submitted and figure out what went wrong and how to improve next time. Easier said then done when you're exhausted

I keep a notebook for this sort of thing. The "things to work on" category is pretty extensive and getting longer.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

I'm envisioning my game right now as a pyramid where I always have two basic options of these three: kimura series, front headlock series, & leg poo poo. When I'm standing above someone's open guard I'm playing headlock/leg poo poo, when I'm on top of someone I'm playing headlock/kimura, and when I'm on the bottom I'm playing kimura/leg poo poo. And of course the eye of the illuminati is back control.

I like this approach. I already favor headlocks, and the gym I'm at now loves kimuras from everywhere so I'm eager to learn these. Having sets of controls that works across multiple positions is appealing to me.

I'm too raw right now to focus too narrowly; I deeply need to review all my fundamentals. Thus, I've been spending a lot of time getting dominated, as I'd rather be crushed under side control than use some crappy technique to wriggle my way out. I'm really trying to do basic survival/escape things the proper, technical way because I know it will help me later on.

Tonight I'm going to focus on kimuras, and maintaining half guard. Or at least try too-- if it goes like my last gi class I'll be spending most my time tapping to bow and arrow chokes.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do sometimes wish my school had more explicit advance, escape, defend classes. I kind of just want a month of nothing but "here is how to get into half-guard, here is how to keep him in half guard, here is how he will try to get out of half-guard" etc.

Same. Schools frequently have a scatter-shot approach to teaching and its to everyone's detriment.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

It sounds like you need to stop conceding bad positions. That was a bad habit of mine for a long time (and still is, occasionally, as when something goes sideways I have a habit of replaying the moment in my head to figure out what happened, which lets my opponent sink the position and secure it). I used to, when someone would (for example) smash my knee shield, go "oh well, I guess I'm playing shoulder-on-face bottom half now." :itif: Does that sound familar to you? Once I started turning every little inch of those lovely positions into fights, I started getting dominated way less in them, and that's when I started finding my kimuras from the bottom

We were talking about "assignments" a while ago - yours should be to never loving concede bad positions.

No, I don't let them get an inch, if I can help it. But I'm working on not scrambling all the time, and instead minding my Ps and Qs to defend efficiently. I'm still quite persistent.

I'm getting dominated because I've had 5 classes at this new school and the last time I trained was in like 2013.

There are many, many problems in my game but conceding is not one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Looks nice, I'll put that on the list.