Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I rolled with our giant purple belt last night. I fought from the bottom the whole time just to practice avoiding being crushed. He pressure tapped me 3x, but when that happened he just dialed the pressure back and we kept going from the same position.

What I found is that my frames were effective at keeping me alive until a certain point, but when he beat those frames with technique they became liabilities - upper body arm frames especially were bad because they just became windshield wiper chokes, which are the worst.

In short, big guys, use your weight. If you're being too heavy, people will tap. Your training partners need practice dealing with big rear end heavy dudes, and there's no way for a smaller guy to simulate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That reminds me of a newbie question: should I roll for sports or roll for fights?

Like, I try to not use my physical advantages because I am likely to never have a physical advantage like that in my weight class if I compete. However, if I am just training to win a fight on the ground, using every skill I have makes more sense.

If you don't practice using your physical attributes you won't be used to using them in your weight class when you compete.

Roll for how you like to roll. If you plan to do points tournaments, roll for that. Just don't be a dick, and make the intensity of any given roll a negotiation with your partner.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mel Mudkiper posted:

fair enough, I wasn't planning to deadlift a little guy out of guard or anything...

...yet

That's a really good example of something that you shouldn't bother practicing, because you're right, you won't be able to do that to someone who is 200+ lb or whatever. But if you are the biggest guy in your gym, and you never practice being heavy or strong because everyone is smaller, you won't be heavy enough or strong when you're going against someone your size.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

John Danaher: "Grab the opponent by the somewhat tastelessly named suicide zone of his wrist. The somewhat tastelessly named suicide zone of the wrist is the most effective position for controlling your opponent's arm. Take the somewhat tastelessly named suicide zone of your wrist and press it against the somewhat tastelessly named suicide zone of your opponent's wrist, and pin it to your chest."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

heeebrew posted:

Guys the danaher dvds are very much worth watching to see Placido's loving facial expressions.

Peak Danaher-Placido is the mandible choke segment on the back control series.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

2kg is a pretty safe weight cut for a same-day weigh-in, right? I’m 18 days out. I could probably lose that cleanly between now and then but I basically don’t want to

You're better off dieting

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CommonShore posted:

This enforcer stuff reminds me of a funny story where I was actually kinda used in that role without my knowledge.

When class ended one day open rolls come along and the coach explicitly pairs me up with this pasty scrubby looking new guy ( something like "CommonShore is a good guy to roll with - try him out"). The dude is really rammy and going hard and probably two weight classes bigger than me so I just kept sweeping him or taking his back and choking him out, whatever - the usual stuff that you do to a rammy new guy. After about 3 minutes he's completely gassed and taps to cardio.

Coach comes in and talks to him and I go do something else. It turns out that he was getting ready for an MMA match and wanted to start training (that's right - he got booked and then found a gym to train with). Our coach was like "uhhhh you're welcome to train with us, but you look like you've been eating nothing but ramen and hot dogs for the last year and you got winded in the warmup. I strongly advise against you taking a fight in 5 weeks." Buddy was insistent that he was going to take the match, so the coach just shrugged and told him to join the class. I guess the second conversation was like "CS there is 15 years older than you, has a desk job, is 20 pounds lighter than you, and just trashed you so bad that you couldn't finish the round, and he's not even sweating. We can get you ready for a fight, but you will not be ready in 5 weeks. If you want to fight, we can look for one for you in a year."

Guy insists still that he needs to fight. So the coach paired him up in the next round with the wrestling coach, who was instructed to not take it easy on him, and I don't recall seeing him since.

Apparently after all of that he still took the fight and got TKOed in about 60 seconds.

Remember this guy?

He's back!

He was in a few no-gi classes recently. Today I'm leaving early (because my GF is going away for the weekend so I want to see her) and he jogs across the street - "Hey CommonShore can I ask you a quick question?"

Buddy is signed up for his 5th MMA fight, in 5 weeks.

I explictly told him to withdraw, and train for a year, and take another one. It sounds as if he is being brought in to give the promoter's buddy a win, he desperately wants to get the 0 off of his record, and he's worried that he won't get asked to fight again if he withdraws.

So yeah, I told him "don't do it, you're not in good enough shape" (note that this is outside of the gym after I left early, so he left early too). He didn't sound like he's going to withdraw, so I also told him that if he decides to ignore my advice, that he needs to get at least 40 workouts in before the fight in 37 days.

:psyduck: and :smith:

we need :smithduck:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuns posted:

I'm shocked that anyone is so bad at doping as to get caught by the USADA.

Can you explain? USADA seems to be the only org that ever loving catches anyone.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Owns

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok I'd like to prompt a theoretical discussion here:

the tl;dr is How does one go about developing a training plan to improve positional control?

I'll try to keep the longer version as short as possible, but it's just context for the question.

You may remember that last summer I did something ridiculous like get 60 workouts in 50 days, with only one day missed. I still have a job with good vacation, so I'm getting ready to do that again for this summer. This time I want to go into it with a plan.

I had a moment of clarity in self-assessment this week when watching a demo. Proportionally to my own game, my leg attacks are my best branch. That's where I get nearly all of my taps from people who are better than me, and that's the part of my game that my training partners avoid when we're rolling. The moment of clarity is that I suddenly understood why I have more success there, and there are three factors:

1) Leg entanglements make sense in an a priori way to me. They're just obvious.
2) I spend more time practicing them than most of my training partners so my defense and counter attacks are at least one step ahead.

importantly,
3) Perhaps because of 1 and 2, I'm able achieve the kind of control there which allows me to hunt leisurely for a break.

#3 is what I realized when watching the demo (a front headlock attack which kept someone tied up while securing an anaconda) - I can't achieve that control in other positions and keep it while hunting my finish. This might be because I started learning leg locks with a catch-and-release philosophy, and that I still take my time when I'm going for a heel hook to give my partner every chance to notice it and attempt an escape before I take the grip. Control became central to the game. By contrast I can hold someone my own skill level quite securely in mount or side control, but that control deteriorates beyond usefulness when I start digging for a finish. My back control isn't bad, but I still lose it against athletic people.

Now lets get to the actual point: how do I go about setting up a summer training plan to improve this particular quality of developing a superior control which allows lesisurely methodical submission hunting?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Do you have a primary attack from those positions which is designed to destabilise them and open up further attacks? I could perform a bunch of submissions from mount but until recently could never set them up against good opponents. I've been working on that 'ratchet' thing that's on Danaher's triangle and armbar DVDs (a slow, grinding motion that brings one of their arms above their shoulder line), and I'm suddenly a wrecking ball from mount, and all the attacks I've learned in the past are available now. It's similar to how in back control the threat of the RNC or collar choke is what opens everything else up.

You could sink a bunch of time into developing an "opener" from your main attacking positions?

From mount my primary finisher is arm triangle. If I end up in a high mount I'll go for an s-mounted armbar (does the term "soul sucking armbar" make sense to anyone else?) I try the elbow peel and/or what I call the chicken wing to get the armpit, and then I ratchet/fingerwalk/cousin Itt to get what I want.

From side control I usually go for mount, but I'll look for opportunities to grab a power line kimura, guillotine, or step-around armbar as responses to things that my opponent does.

The problem is that unless there's a serious gap, I can either control or attack, esp. from mount. Once I start working to expose those elbows, my weight moves, my control deteriorates, and I lose the position. I can't really figure out a methodical way to improve this.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The whole concept of a creonte is hillarious and super Brazillian.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Good job competing!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mel Mudkiper posted:

swear to god my body is made of tissue paper

tore my meniscus last night, fortunately I think its minor enough to work through

That poo poo doesn't heal on its own. Take care of yourself.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Decades posted:

Thanks y'all

Yeah its tough dealing with the height differential and figuring out the right posture. Too tall and natural and my legs are open, but trying to drop my level all the way down to my opponent's leads to complications too, one of which is probably giving up easier collar ties. Fighting from a pretty deep squat also tends to burn out my legs in a way that puts me at a disadvantage after a few minutes, and after that it becomes real easy to let everything go to poo poo posturewise (hips start raising up with me bending at the waist - main thing I want to avoid). I tried to play between the two extremes in a dynamic way but failed to keep up with my opponents.

I was going to say something about this too, but I didn't, but now we're on the topic so I will.

In your second match, I saw the snapdown he got on you about 2 seconds before he pulled the trigger, because your head got lower than his. Try to keep your head at the same level as your opponent's except when you're pulling the trigger on your own attack. Think of your arms and elbows and head as your defensive measures - keep your head level and keep touching your opponent while you find angle and range, and if he has to get past your arms, head, and elbows, your length will provide you an extra defensive buffer.

We've been wrestling at my club a lot lately, and the tall lanky guys tend to like snapdowns, arm drags/2-on-1, and collar tie sequences over the underhook and outside shot approaches. The wrestling coach is going to be in tonight after being away for a month, and out of my own curiosity I'll ask his thoughts on how a very tall lanky guy should wrestle (in addition to like 25 other questions I've been writing down - he's moving away in the next two months, so I'm trying to get as much info down before he leaves).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

heeebrew posted:

Mummy face was much harder to do then I thought.

edit: how the gently caress do I resize/rotate an image!!! ugh

:allbuttons:

:perfect:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So based on the thread's comments, and some talk with training partners, the summer of 2019 is going to be the summer of the mount. By Labour Day, I want to have a killer mount.

So right now my mount game is primarily built around working a low mount with my heels looped high and using my knees as secondary posts while I hand fight and drive my weight down through my chest. The plan A from there is to get an elbow across my centre line and go for an arm triangle.

And here are the questions:

1 - Any suggestions for competitors who do that kind of thing really well? Any suggestions for competitors who have effective (no-gi) mounts that I can watch? Or instructionals? I've quite liked the Karel Pravek stuff that I've seen.

2 - Any suggestions for drills which might help me improve my abilities in these situations?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

^^^ :yeah:

I had a black belt give me a handfull of tips like this on my arm triangles and they went from ok to reliable. That up slice as you describe it from the sternum is key. I call it the Z cut. I get the grip around the head, clear the legs, and pull my shoulder back down to the sternum and then slice back up as if I'm tracing a Z with those three steps. Then if that doesn't immediately end it (it often does) I start burrowing my head underneath their head as I walk my feet out.

Answering the phone etc doesn't make a difference

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Quick question because I'm crunching a position -

If player A catches a kimura from the bottom, and player B attempts the lawnmower defense, must player B post the free hand on player A's body for counterforce? Or is it possible (within reasonable physical similarity) to lawnmower out of a kimura without providing that counter force?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What’s the ‘lawn mower’?

Are you talking about posturing your way out of the bottom-half kimura?

pretty much - we call it the lawmower because of the way that lots of people rip the trapped arm up and out as if starting a lawnmower when doing it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

Rolling kneebar, helicopter sweep, get to dogfight and sweep.

Edit: I actually read your question, I don't think you have to post on your opponent to posture out but it helps.

Yeah that's kinda where I was on it too. I was sitting around distracted at work and trying to figure out if that post was a necessity for someone to escape it that way, as part of a bigger puzzle.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

about 18 months ago I was dealign with your problems. I'm the exact same size as you, close to the same age, and have lots of big training partners.

#1 - don't concede bottom is correct. Fight from the top as much as you can. I'll stand right up if I need to.

#2 - If they put you on the bottom, keep inside control with knee shield & frames. That poo poo is life. Guys will splay their free legs out, drop their head onto your chest, and start driving in. Put one hand on their ear, and the other on their hip, lock your elbows out and start shrimping to separate, and pop to front headlock and sprawl if you get the chance (it won't happen often, but it's a good target). If their arm dangles, kimura it.

#3 - sticky feet. Get that half guard. There aren't many positions where it isn't theoretically possible to snag half guard with one or two motions. Once you're there, #2.

#4 - never concede position. Keep moving and keep fighting even if it seems like a lost cause (hint: it's never a lost cause). Resist that urge to go "well my guard is pretty much passed, I guess we're doing side control now..."

That's what works for me, anyway. Sometimes I'll fight with someone over these frames for most of a round if I end up in the bad spot. The big purple belts can get past it, but not many of the blue belts, and none of the white belts.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

oh and the half guard kimura thing was just me trying to figure out if I could exploit that post on the body somehow to counter my opponent's escape, but I think it's not reliably present so I'm giving up that line of thinking.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

There's no exploit for the post as you've committed both your hands to the kimura and you're going across body. Once they posture there's a ton of follow ups though.

:goku:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I was trying it out to indicate a tantalizing leg lock opportunity. Didn't seem to land.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

wtf is the john wick throw

e. google says it's a sode tsurikomi goshi. Know what makes that throw loving rip? Doing it from two sleeves instead of from the leg grab. You can also do it without letting go of the collar. It's a very high percentage throw.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dante posted:

Well it would be a lie to call Ryan vs Faber exciting , but it's at least somewhat interesting to see two hyper-focused narrow gameplans in a grappling match - even if the match itself didn't turn out to be very interesting.

I enjoyed it. It was one of those fights that you knew could explode into an ultra-violent finish at any second, and I felt like there was enough engagement for it to be interesting the whole way through.

Faber got totally saved from that heel hook though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I feel really good about a competition this last weekend. I am the kind of guy who doesn't take naturally to competition, but I do it once a year or so as a sort of philosophical thing, I guess, no point doing martial arts if you don't fight people. Anyway, I usually lose every match like poo poo, and i'm bad with adrenaline and stuff. Last weekend I entered a weight division lower than usual, I got 3 wins, 2 losses, and 1 DQ for reaping (basically a win), then I withdrew with injury because I got kneebarred real hard (hyperextension injury, ligaments fine, can't train for 4 weeks)

It was a bunch of small victories:
1. Didn't feel tired at all, handled the adrenaline well, never gave up on anything, was still going full smesh at the end of 5 minute rounds
2. Did my weight cut/management really well, finally found pre-tournament foods and rituals that worked for me
3. Got a medal (bronze in a six man division) that I didn't immediately throw in the bin (like when you get bronze in a 3 man division)
4. Hit some cool poo poo: two o-goshis in the no-gi, a kimura from top half guard with a cool rolling finish in the gi
5. Realized that I outclass a bunch of people in standup? I usually panic and pull guard but I was dominating grips and they were pulling guard on me to escape it. Judo is paying off.

This deserves another reply :hai:

I had to have the "belts don't matter" convo with a guy at my gym this weekend. He imo absolutely deserves to have his blue belt, and probably did a long time ago, but the head instructor isn't on the ball and is disorganized, and buddy was injured or on moderate-length absences the last two times any belts went out. Buddy is getting impatient though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Most schools just send dudes to streetbeefs to settle that kind of deadlock.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Defenestrategy posted:

To be fair a lot of 200+ dudes have to over come their training partners being babies about weight disparity before actually learning about being able to pressuring anyone.

I had one of these moments with a moderately big guy this week. He had me in a small package kimura, and then let it go. I asked him why - "I didn't want to use strength" and I had to demonstrate that even though I'm 40 lb smaller than him, I can keep him wrapped up in a small package kimura with just one hand.

Being a big guy is doing things like trying to rip an arm off rather than use technique, or slamming people.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There will be a day when you all of a sudden you realize that person X has been playing with you the whole time. It often happens when you do something right and it works for like 3 seconds then you suddenly get shut down in the most humiliating way.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Danahers DVDs are great. I have been focusing on triangles and hit another rear one (ushiro) yesterday in sparring, but I lost position, and remembered what he said: if you lost the position for some reason, attack the arms. Got a nice Americana using the technique he showed. Really glad I bought that one.

I love the ushiro strangle and hantei trimura. I hit them quite regularly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Once in a while I forget my water bottle in my car and so I put my shoes on and run out to get it with my spats on, and 100% of the time I'll run into someone I know.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Super happy for you mate! Well deserved I'm sure.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

corgarts on blue belt

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

It helps to integrate the movements into your life too. Like always stand with a technical getup variation. Shrimp or slide getting out of bed. Open doors with the correct arm. The list is huge.

The little reps can add up and it helps just saying "this is how I move now"

I drive standard and move the gear shifter with proper push and pull grips.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I was the uke for a mount escape demo tonight, and it involved a big bridge which forces the top player to post.

When my hand went down on the mat, the guy doing the demo was put into a Jackson Pollock painting of my sweat.

JaySB - You mentioned int he B-league thread that Lovato's er.. dog fight standup is your #2 move from bottom half. Care to share your list?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

#1: Kimura trap - Butterfly hook sweep
#2: Underhook - switch trapped leg - dog fight - knee pick
#3: Kimura trap - when partner postures or gives space - helicopter sweep/rolling knee bar
#4: Underhook - roll under sweep when opponent drives us flat
#5: Electric Chair
#6: Half - Deep Half - Bump forward - Roll backwards if they base
#7: Octopus Half - Backtake or rolling sweep.
#8: Faria Sweep
#9: John Wayne Sweep
#10: Kimura Trap - Backtake (Lachlan Giles)

There's obviously proper names for most of these moves I just don't remember them. There's variations and follow ups on a bunch as well.

Is this in any particular order?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

Order most often completed when attempted. Probably also most often used.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have a similar set that I use too, and the same problems as 02- because my gym is full of wrestly pressure passers who kill your hips...

Without thinking about it too hard:

1 - Dogfight single (old school?). I love passing the outside foot up to my underhooking hand.
2 - Dogfight roll over against forward whizzer pressure. (twistback?)
3 - Kimura trap, esp. to T-kimura
4 - Leg lock poo poo.
5 - Butterfly hook sweep (sumi gaeshi)
6 - Dogfight back take
7 - Hip bump
8 - rDlR crowbar

Most of the decisions are reactionary. If I end up in half guard I immediately start working for 1 always and only go other directions if people give me different things.