Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Opal posted:

Looks really cool but lmao at Royce still trying to push the idea that pre-BJJ there was no jiu-jitsu (or belts)

TMA bullshit that took hundreds of years to develop within other martial arts took less than 20 years to take hold in the Gracie family. Impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
To warm up to do jiu jitsu, you should warm up like you usually do when you do jiu jitsu.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Does anybody know much about the Gracie Academy/University online testing stuff and/or has anybody rolled with somebody who got their blue belt through the internet and where they were at compared to other people you've rolled with?

Seems strange that they're giving out belts to people they've never met or seen roll based on kata type stuff

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Move over, Titodick.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Choke is a cool old Rickson documentary, with a happy ending -- The american kickboxer guy fulfilled his dream of driving the bobsled in the Olympics :)

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Sometimes I wish I was as passionate about a single thing in life as Rener is about the most incredibly mundane things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEo3xMCa58Y&t=322s

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Keg posted:

My roommate and I wanna drill BJJ poo poo in our garage and need some cheapish mats. Are puzzle mats from Wal-Mart going to be thick enough for rolling? Doubtful we'll do much, if any, takedown stuff on them.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

fatherdog posted:

It's Extremely Cool that one of the biggest Pure Water Gracie Jiujitsu propagandists put together a sub only grappling tournament to showcase jiujitsu and the second it had a heavyweight title it went to a fat guy in a speedo doing Dusty Rhodes promos, and now his brother's going to get camel-clutched.

I'm hyped.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

TheCool69 posted:

Apparently they Tried to book Mackenzie Dern vs. Gabi Garcia but there was some fuckery and now they are instabeefing

I guess that's why Ralek went around telling everybody that Metamoris is now officially no gurlz aloud in a move of PR mastery.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Pooned posted:

Has anyone successfully ordered the Metamoris PPV? I can't get it to work.

The internet says the site is all buggered up this morning.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Thoughts on this thing that Kit Dale posted a few days ago?

https://www.facebook.com/kitdale/videos/1679124828988189/

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Carborundum posted:

And it's way way more fun to train like Kit Dale than to do a thousand reps of something.

Roll for an hour then post a ballpoint pen drawing of a dick to Facebook, the Kit Dale method of BJJ.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

ICHIBAHN posted:

my coaches have advised I start watching BJJ and grappling (I've previously tried but can't really get into it despite loving training). they said two people to focus on, as their styles are similar to mine. are Ryan Hall & Caio Terra. so, which fights of theirs should I watch? also, what big competitions are coming up soon that I can follow? cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJX9QnrZtfc

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
bjjhq rolling deals start in a little under 3 hours.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I love when my dick is crushed by a guy doing a knee slice pass.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

quote:

Regarding to the release time of the submission, this is something I have been working hard, I'm humble enough to take on the things I need to improve.

lmao

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Anybody who bought Metamoris at any point: Check your credit card statements for duplicate charges that have shown up randomly over the past few months.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Gadamer posted:

The amount of ignorance in this Facebook by Rener is oddly not very surprising.

Edit:

The Instagram has some better responses:

I normally don't want insane tumblr people to get internet mad at people and go crazy, but now, I do.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Novum posted:

Everyone is just saying yes they think they can. What am I missing here?

Gracie Academy 45 minute sales pitches are making people delusional about the effectiveness of BJJ when getting sucker punched by a 300 pound man as a 100 pound woman, which is bad and irresponsible of them.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I don't think you'll be taking your coach's back often enough to worry about rubbing your balls on his back.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

1st AD posted:

"Give me your balls" - a BJJ coach

His name is Robert Paulson.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
My (now ex) GB gym just dropped its affiliation, which kinda sucks for me because we never followed the GB curriculum/rules and now I can't drop in at GB gyms for free when I'm travelling :(

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Ryan Hall fought on TUF

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
There are some Gracie University blue belt teen girls who are the head instructors a Gracie Academy gym in Fort Collins, CO. A few weeks ago they were outed as wearing their made-up style black belts for teaching BJJ, which incidentally are the same as BJJ black belts. Some photos of them rolling while wearing black belts are available online. Rener/Ryron made them stop wearing black belts with red bars on them while teaching.

Problem solved, until their dad started proposing challenge matches and calling out a local black belt, which evolved into proposing people come visit them for a class to see how good the girls are. A brown belt dropped in for their advanced class a couple of days ago and they called him a keyboard warrior and threatened to call the cops.

I've always figured Rener and Ryron were great ambassadors for BJJ even with their sleazy business stuff, but with these sort of incidents piling up for their affiliates, I'm starting to doubt that the good outweighs the bad.

Keg fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 26, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I'll never be in a position to run a BJJ affiliation and I don't love money as much as Rener/Ryron, but if the head instructors at some hypothetical affiliate of mine were misrepresenting their rank and the owner of the gym was challenging people on behalf of his children and refusing the let upper belts come check out a class, I'd probably drop them.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

david carmichael posted:

come down to my dojo and fight my children

This is literally what he suggested.

A Responsible Dad posted:

Gracie Challenge from Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Fort Collins to Infinite Martial Arts Academy. We challenge anyone 135 and under to a 20 min sub only match at Gracie Fort Collins. Male or Female any rank. It would seem as martial artists we would treat each other with respect however Adam Martinez of Infinite Martial Arts is extremely threatened by our Academy and has been making an attempt to cyber bully our school calling into question our skill and teaching ability. This is not Adams first offense at spreading untruths about our academy. So here is what we propose. You can have as many matches as you want with one of our 17 year old instructors who is currently a two stripe blue belt. We will video and post all matches.This will put to rest the question of our skill and may very well bring into question your skill. As to our teaching ability we will post a video of a class for every class you put up and we will let the public vote on teaching ability and knowledge.

Keg fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 26, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I'm confident a 17 year old girl with a blue belt could beat me up.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Why are blue belts running an academy anyway?

I don't think many people see a huge problem with a blue belt teaching a white belt class, especially with the Gracie Academy limited curriculum. I guess they teach the advanced classes as well, but I'd imagine they're just parroting what they see on Gracie Academy's instructional videos from their online courses.

I guess they took the school over from the previous head instructor after he went to prison for molesting kids.

Keg fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 26, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

manyak posted:

Having a 17 year old blue belt run an adult BJJ class is stupid for a lot of reasons, but their confidence in posting that challenge really makes me wonder what theyre actually up to, how on earth could they be that confident to propose something like that online and offer to video tape it. Whats their "long con" there because they would for sure get crushed by whatever rear end in a top hat guy shows up

I think their dad is just a particular combination of bad at the internet and clueless about BJJ.

Here are the 2 instructor kids rolling:
https://www.facebook.com/graciefortcollins/videos/vb.776638919068952/856461744420002/?type=2&theater

That's a fun rash guard :)

Keg fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 26, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

ICHIBAHN posted:

How are Rener & Ryron sleazy?

Online belts, marketing their gyms as the only 'pure' Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, giving affiliations to gyms that are run by literal children, attributing basically magic powers to their grandfather, this 45 minute long informercial they put on youtube when asked how one of their blue belts would do against other blue belts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgb1Attfm-0

Keg fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 26, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
There are lots of videos of gangly nerds from bullshido beating up seniors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuIDycD0aeo

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
One reason to attend a throwdown is to hang out with your friends from the martial arts drama forum. Another reason is to punch an old man in the mouth.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

LobsterMobster posted:

Works for Moat Fights

Is this Chinese Z-league mma?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Just eat some blueberries, honestly. Or saskatoon berries if you want something with more fibre so you can call it a superfood.

Actually, do they sell Saskatoon berries outside of the Canadian prairies?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Odddzy posted:

Never heard of that and I've lived in Québec all my life.

Somebody get the foodbabe's contact info, I have an idea to become a millionaire.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I like loud and silly rashguards, but I want my gis to be as plain as they can be.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Cross posting this from the A/T martial arts thread:

quote:

I have some gear I want to get rid of, and here's probably a better place than SA mart:

Fuji Judo gi & white belt, size 5 -- Never worn. It's yours if you pay shipping and you're new at judo.

Grab & Pull Premium V3 Unbleached BJJ gi & pants, size A3 -- http://www.martialartssupplies.com/gpv3-unbleached-gi.html -- Looks pretty brown, wore it once and felt weird as hell standing out at the gym while being bad at BJJ. And I have enough gis anyway. Make an offer, plus shipping.

Can ship from Canada or US. I'll be in the US later this week for just a few days, though, so Americans will have to hop on it quick to save some bucks on shipping.

PM me if you want em

Keg fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 25, 2016

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
My prof and instructors don't teach leglock stuff very much at all, and never to white belts, which I'm ok with because there's already a ton of poo poo that I'm terrible at.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I got mat burn on my foot once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

david carmichael posted:

Almost nothing in bjj is useful for self defense

My purpose in life is to play de la riva when attacked by a guy wearing a heavy leather jacket.