Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

EBI 11 firing up in a few minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I'm not sure if I would want to watch a 16-man slappy jiu-jitsu tournament, but I approve of it in small doses, this is funny.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

They have a cool penalty in the rules for this crazy thing by the way, if you throw an illegal strike. (illegal strike = slap while both are standing, or a kick, elbow, knee, or punch at any time) If its intentional its a DQ, but if its somehow unintentional, the penalty is that the referee lets your opponent take your back. Thats such a big penalty, that the competitors are heavily incentivized to only slap and only when legal.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Seltzer posted:

What's preventing someone from bas ruttening their way through this tournament

You can't slap when both are standing. The strikes are only legal when at least one fighter is grounded. (you can slap a grounded fighter while standing)

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bubba Smith posted:

so far, slaps to the face have done nothing once actual jiu jitsu started. there was about 30 seconds where a man was furiously slapping the thigh of another man while in half guard. since that it's been a normal jiu jitsu match

I do think they do something in that fighters are not going to allow themselves to get into positions that make sense only when strikes are not legal. There are many things in EBI that you don't want to do in MMA when striking is legal. The idea here is to keep the jiu-jitsu honest while not actually doing full striking.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dave Grool posted:

I foresee confusion between slaps and tapping

If I'm the ref, I think in the locker room I'll tell them that I want to hear a verbal tapout. Or, you can tap the mat.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

here we go, the 2nd of 3 slappy jiu-jitsu fights about to start

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This 2nd match is great, this is what Eddie Bravo was probably envisioning, it looks a lot different when mount is a very bad position, the fighter on bottom is a lot more concerned about open hand strikes whereas in a match with no strikes, the fighter on bottom would give no fucks and keep looking for subs.

edit: and a fighter just used slaps to get out of a leg lock, this is great

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Here we are, we've reached the slappy jiu-jitsu championship bout

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

cool. EBI 12 will be in July, and it will be a female flyweight tournament.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Captain Log posted:

Oh wait, these are on fight pass? I've got that. I thought from the Chael cast EBIs were PPVs.

They used to be, maybe Chael hasn't been keeping up. The UFC basically made Eddie Bravo some kind of deal to help him hold those events a lot more often, and to have EBI exclusively on fightpass

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

CommonShore posted:

Is nobody else watching EBI? There has been two sick heel hooks, a crazy calf slicer, a flying triangle, a hail-mary last-minute arm bar, and an overtime round which went almost into back stage.

In the first round.

yeah I'm watching, its been pretty cool so far

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

That was a tap

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

CommonShore posted:

Yeah. what seemed ambiguous to me is that it didn't look like a terribly deep sub. I wonder if the guy was screwing around in some kind of poo poo game and won a poo poo prize.

Calestine is proving a pretty good substitute for Cummings.

Seems unlikely that he'd play games this close to the final. I bet he thought he was caught and realized too late that he wasn't, and tried to take back the tap but the video caught it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

lol, the audio guys for the CJJ event are really loving incompetent.