Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
I think BJJ guys are way worse about the lineage thing - the only real animosity I've found as far as catch goes is toward dorks like Cecchine and Furey, though I can count on one hand the number of guys I've met in the past few years that claim catch. I guess if I went to an SCA meeting and started talking about Lancashire wrestling it might get goony.
Minoru Suzuki lineage

Also, this is semantic and goony as gently caress, but if anyone can explain why a lot of people write the word 'gi' in all-caps, I'd appreciate it. I see it all the time have no idea what that's about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Try your best to force them to play your game. If you're a guard guy, pull guard. If you're a top control guy, aggressively pursue the takedown. Of course, try your best to be prepared for when poo poo doesn't go your way (which is pretty often). If you're not a wrestler, accept the possibility that you'll get taken down and stalled out. If you are a wrestler, take the guy down and stall him out, because stalling rules.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
The infinite omoplata from mount is my favorite thing. I want to go to one of those tourneys that gives points for submission attempts and just tech fall someone with a chain of like 30 omoplatas.

Xguard86 posted:

Also, you are bad and should feel bad. There are three submissions: kneebars, heel hooks, and omoplatas

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
I don't do heel hooks on most of my training partners; I only do it with the other guys who know what they are and when/how they're dangerous, and still ask before every round. Kneebars aren't dangerous unless you're a complete idiot and don't tap; even then I'll catch and release with newbies on things like that if I feel like they're trying to be a hero and not tap.

I've been heelhooked hundreds of times in training to no ill effect, but I did blow my knee out shooting a double of all things(grappler can't wrestling)

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Comprido wrote a letter about it as well.

If anyone knows what the hell he's talking about as far as dragging a dead guy off the mat at the 2000 Mundials, that would be nice. Google is giving me nothing.

If BJJ/sub grappling became an Olympic sport or there was big money involved, steroid testing might actually be a thing, but as it is, nobody gives a poo poo about grappling and the IBJJF is too busy being afraid of leg reaps to do anything about it.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Did a tournament today. In my last match, I hit the Minowaman rolling single takedown. Unfortunately he snatched up an omoplata and ended up submitting me with the Rings of Saturn. It was pretty much the most fun match I've ever had.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I hope it's Yuki Nakai. And I hope they make an awesome rvddw shirt to commemorate the match.
This was my first thought as well.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001

mobn posted:

Hey, Death Bucket. Is the schedule out at Neutral Ground such that I could reasonably get some learning done just training Friday night, saturday, and sunday? I got a full-time job downtown which means I will actually have money to train soon, but if I went to WMMA their schedule would basically ensure that I was never at home, ever.
You'd learn more than nothing but not as much as if you went to class during the week. Friday's only class is conditioning, followed by an open mat that's been pretty much dead for a year or so. Saturday has a pretty good open mat and the guy who runs it usually shows some judo for people who want to learn it. I think there's still the newbie BJJ class on Sunday, but I don't know for sure. For what it's worth, Eric Schafer just opened a school in Shorewood that's got some great guys there and a couple of Henry Matamoros' old guys started Pura Vida BJJ down in Walker's Point. No idea about either of their schedules, but they may have more directed classes during the weekend, I don't really know.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001

SimonNotGarfunkel posted:

This must be quite demoralising.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V6AVUmGt8E&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Most of the local tourneys around here have a 16 point slaughter rule which really makes sense to me. If the guy got a miracle sub in the closing seconds, he still got completely outgrappled and in no way would have deserved to win that match.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I don't think you should be awarded an early finish for not finishing.
If I racked up 16 points and they stopped the match I'd be disappointed, because I'd have been trying to finish. I'd feel robbed of a potential highlight and wouldn't pay to compete in such a tournament.

Takedown 2 points
pass guard 3 points
knee on belly 2 points
mount 4 points
back mount 4 points
hooks 4 points

That's 17 points

I haven't won yet. Why stop the match? I could cross my feet and get footlocked. He could just reverse and wind up on top, pass my guard and finish me. Or I could bust out a loving reverse gogo.
Stopping the match after a certain amount of points is stupid. That could be accomplished in under a minute. He deserves the remaining time to defend and try to come back and I deserve to try to finish.
Depends how you look at it. Generally speaking, even if you can force a million scrambles and keep escaping, chances are that the guy whose positional dominance is that good would have absolutely murdered you with strikes. I realize BJJ is its own sport and all that, but poo poo like this and 50/50 stallfests and OH MY GOD HE REAPED THE LEG STOP THE BAD MAN FROM REAPING THE LEG are really getting in the way of BJJ's original goal, which was to make Rorion a very rich man be a combat-ready martial art. I once had a ref threaten to DQ me in a tournament for stalling in mount. While I was the guy on top. I'm pretty sure it's the bottom guy's problem to figure out a way out from under there, and it's my job to hold that position as long as I drat well feel like it.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Nothing could be worse than the Arnolds a year or two back where they just picked up random refs from the karate comps or whatever and you'd have fat idiots with double-wide red belts letting people get their arms broken because they had no idea they were actually supposed to stop a match when one guy is tapping frantically.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
You can combo the arm triangle and the americana off each other. If you're rolling gi, the ezekiel from mount is a nice tool to have; if you're rolling no-gi, the nogi ezekiel is hilarious and awesome but your instructor will probably yell at you for trying to do it. Just keep with it, subs will come.

But if you got a Machado gym in your backyard, that's an infinitely better resource for progressing your game than the internet anyway.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001

niethan posted:

The kids name is Danny Downes.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001

BlindSite posted:

Has anyone trained with, or know much about how Pedro Sauer's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_Sauer teachings differ from others. Someone said to me he had a more "practical" and "self defense" based teaching or syllabus so to speak than most sporterised Jits schools.

Anyone want to weigh in on that?
Pedro Sauer is one of those guys that's really cool about having his students learn from whoever has something to teach rather than staying in the boundaries of affiliation. I've been to a handful of affiliate schools and they're all over the place as far as their approach to the game. All of them did seem to have fairly difficult promotion requirements (at the gym I attend and one of the other Pedro affiliates in the area, 3 years to blue isn't uncommon at all, though most of the guys start competing at blue against other schools way earlier than that). I never saw any 'self-defense' type stuff beyond a lot of emphasis on top control, though that might be mostly at his own academy rather than his affiliates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
1. given those choices, back I suppose. Given any choice, top half guard or side control.
2. if I'm on my back, I'll hunt subs pretty aggressively, if I'm on top, I'm gonna try and slow this thing down to a glacial pace. I greatly prefer to be on top.
3. Lateral drops or sweeps mostly. I did hit the Minowaman rolling single in competition once. That was fun.
4. like everyone, I have stuff I'd prefer to have but I won't go chasing grips that aren't there if there's other things I can work with and there's a handful that I'm ok with.
5. gi is more interesting to me, but I rarely use the gi itself for anything other than standing grips, and I'm significantly better at no-gi. I don't compete much so I just do whatever's more fun. I guess old school? I don't know. I dick around with some rubber guard stuff and 50/50 but that's mostly just for fun. I used to be about more speed, but I'm fat now so now it's all smashy strength these days.