Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

VRViperII posted:

I see it as a literal congratulatory slap on the back. A ceremonial show of respect. But it is also humbling because of the whipping aspect, and humility is important in our sport. Any that I have experienced are full of fun and love, and I can understand how it spread to so many gyms. Pressuring someone to do it would be pretty hosed up though.

If you've made it to your first promotion without feeling humble then either you're a champion wrestler or your gym is doing you a disservice.

If your gym does a gauntlet then there IS pressure to do it, regardless of what anyone says. That's what peer pressure is. Nobody HAS to undergo hazing (which is what a gauntlet is,) they choose to because of peer pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

HamsterPolice posted:

Seems like they are burning a ton of energy to do this and I don't see a way for them to pass my guard without straight up slamming me on the ground and expecting me to open my guard on impact.

This is the exact thought that will go through the head of the first idiot whitebelt you try this on in a tournament. It'll supercede any understanding he has of the rules and you'll end up on one of those bjj DQ fails videos.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
There should be a rule against teaching white belts Ezekiels, and an honest attempt ought to be made to keep them secret from blue belts.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Maybe a video explaining the scoring for competition bjj, and the various types of positions and submissions, with highlights of each. Preferably with examples of smaller guys executing the scoring move/sub on bigger opponents. Possibly with very brief text descriptions of the mechanisms of the subs.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah definitely try not to cut down on sparring time. IMO that's the real meat of learning any practical martial art.

I'd also ask a higher belt for advice. Especially a smaller or older one who spars often with all types of opponents. That person knows how to protect their body. Tell him/her straight up that you're getting too beat up and ask them to help you learn to roll light. Be prepared to receive suggestions that may sound stupidly obvious, but they're mistakes everyone makes while learning.

Along those lines, and without knowing you at all, I'd recommend tapping early, and trying to avoid focusing on winning or losing while rolling. The point of sparring is to spend time working in all positions, even the lovely ones. I might be able to defend a sweep or a deep sub with a max effort movement, but how useful is that defense going to be against a guy 15lbs heavier or 6 months more experienced? Look for the openings that work at 70 or 80 percent effort. If 80% won't work, try something else or give up the position. Even if you get tapped over and over again. You'll protect your body and you'll probably improve faster.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Defenestrategy posted:

On the subject of standing up immediately, is it "bad form" in ya'lls opinion to just technical stand up against people who refuse to engage your guard and just attempt to agility pass when generally one person starts open guard and the other starts standing/combat base?

That's what you should do. They want to play the stand-up game without any of the stand-up consequences. Besides the fact that one of the most basic principles of top control is "don't let your opponent stand up."

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
If you want a stronger neck, start wrestling.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I keep getting black eyes. Second one in as many weeks. This one is so bad it's leaking into my sclera, turning my eye all bloodshot. Very professional looking at work.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I think it's mostly my fault. Usually happens when I'm trying to pass guard. I usually try to stand up and hand-fight the legs to set up a leg drag/weave. I also like to crash the hips for an over/double under pass. I tend to run into knees somewhere in there. I also tend to catch them when someone tries to aggressively reguard when I pop up into a tight combat base(?) One knee down, one knee up, front knee and elbow connected, face near the front hand.

I'm also the dumb blue belt who likes to push the pace, and most of them happen when I run into someone who wants to play the same game. It's like two Highlanders meeting or something.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
It's definitely an art.

Edit- as for not having to deal with awkward social contacts, I work EMS, so nothing but odd looks from total strangers and ER staff all day.

ihop fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 18, 2018

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I like switching the near hand to a lat/waist grip, put a lot of pressure on the back of the shoulder, then hit a yoko sumi gaeshi.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Depends. If you're talking judo then gtfo of here with that light-weight gi BS. If you do BJJ then a lightweight gi is nice, especially if you're traveling. They won't last as long. Also, as a gross sweaty guy I find the lightweight gis can feel a little clammy and gross. I prefer a little more fabric to disperse sweat.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not sure the name of it, but I keep getting caught when someone has you in guard and they pull their knee and shin across my chest while grabbing my sleeves so I cannot really pull back or push forward.

Unsolicited advice and all

1. don't let someone control both (or either) of your sleeves. Grip fighting on the ground is just as important as standing.

2. use a free hand or elbow to stuff that knee flat and lay your goony gut atop it.

4. PROfit!

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Jealous. I've always felt that multiple days in a row is one of the best things for making progress. I feel like by the third day in a row you're really writing poo poo to permanent memory and techniques start happening without even any conscious thought. It almost feels like your brain becomes an amused observer to the awesome things your body can do.

Question for the upper belts: what percentage of amateurs do you think make it to black belt without suffering some major injury. Something requiring surgery or a lengthy recovery, like ankles, knees, hips, shoulders or back/neck?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah a 5 ought to be pretty close for you. I'm 5'11" 180lbs and although I usually buy fuji 4s, they eventually shrink too far for high-level competition (no one gives a poo poo at practice/local tournaments.)

A hot wash and dry might shrink the sleeves up to 1-2 inches so you should be good to go.

Judo gis are also designed to look/feel unflattering on everyone.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Ghetto Blaster posted:

Is there limit to how tight fitting you can go with your gi in some competitions? I’ve be often thought it would be an advantage to wear a smaller gi.

You probably can't get away with a bjj gi in any judo competition. For the reason you just mentioned. Tighter, shorter sleeves are tougher to grab on to.

The rules for competition judo gi fitment are actually very specific. What most referees will be looking for is basically sleeves that end near the wrist bone and are wide enough to fit four fingers inside. Similar for the pants.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah I think I usually finish them from side control by moving to North/South, lifting the arm so they turn on their side, straddle the head and sit on their ear then wrench the arm away from whatever they're holding on to. Most people tap as soon as you free the arm, before there's any breaking pressure at all.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I also feel most comfortable in side control, but most of my submission wins are from the back.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
What should I do if I've got my partner in ashi garami, fishing for the ankle lock, but he puts the trapped foot flat on the ground? Is the ankle lock still there? Can I salvage the position or did I "gently caress up a long time ago?"

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Like roll up onto the trapped foot/leg? Is this the point to go forehead to the mat?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
So if I've got my opponent's right leg trapped, I should roll on to my right hip? Will that not lead to an IBJJF DQ for rolling towards the free leg?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Congratulations, time to start focusing on heel hooks and berimbolos.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I've always had a tough time picking a specific part of my game to work on, especially while sparring. Every time I show up to practice with a game plan it almost always goes straight out the window, and it's not rare to find I've gone the whole practice without once working the technique/position I intended to focus on. I suppose it's holding me back in a way but I enjoy taking whatever opportunity looks best to me, even if it's something I'm not particularly good at, rather than forcing a certain move or position because it's my "A-game."

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I came from a judo background so standing to pass came embarrassingly late for me. When I did start standing up though it was the single greatest leap forward in progress for me in a long time.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

HunterDevourer posted:

I found that when I got my resting heart rate lower (through basic cycling and keeping heartrate between 130-150), it really helped with endurance in both BJJ and judo. Far more than just rolling a lot ever did, much faster recovery and able to get through all rounds without any issue.

No issue with weight training either - it's useful to have strength to fall back on if technique is equal (or near equal). Although don't fall into a trap of using strength rather than technique otherwise it might stunt your progress.

I agree. I know prioritizing endurance over strength training is unpopular in grappling, but my own experience is that endurance is good for training, lifting helps with competition.

Running 5-10k, even at a slow pace, shot my bjj/judo endurance through the roof. It feels like I can fight to exhaustion, but 30 seconds of rest gets me ready to start all over again. The ability to roll several rounds at higher intensity feels very valuable to me from a training point of view. I also feel that running in particular helps me stay lighter on my feet during stand-up.

Strength training seems to help me with injury prevention, and the ability to muscle a move feels cool and is great for competition. I have a hard time in training though wrt resorting to strength over technique.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

spb posted:

Been doing this for a year and feel like I'm getting worse :(

Good news is that feeling will only last a couple more years, then only intermittently after that.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

JaySB posted:

My gym does this and it's stupid.

Don't the new IBJJF rules require rash guards to have a certain percentage of their area rank-colored, even in gi?

edit: while training for a judo comp I once finished a practice 8 lbs lighter than I started.

ihop fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 16, 2018

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Triplets maybe, my judo club and my jiu jitsu school are fairly isolated from each other so it's very easy to see how my bjj game has affected my judo game and vice versa. The guard game I play today would have been unrecognizable at my formative judo school, and I'm enjoying exploring the principal of kuzushi on the ground in bjj.

Got to check off a few bucket list items today. First sub-only competition, first no-gi competition, first time wrestling with another adult while wearing tights (awesome), first gold (in an old man division of two) first win by straight ankle lock (first time I've won anything with "plan A"), first double gold, in a gi division of three.

Thoughts on the experience:

Wish I'd paid for absolutes, I thought there'd be more people in my divisions (30+ intermediate/blue.) Ended up with close to 30 minutes of match time so I'm ok with what I got.

No-gi was a lot of fun. I really wanted to try my SLX/ashi garami game. Passing the guy's guard was taking more work than I wanted so when he stuck his foot in my armpit I sat straight to ashi and finished with a not-perfect but apparently good enough ankle lock.

Gi matches went well. I'm always surprised in competitions how hard people fight to stay off their backs. I find I have to keep telling myself to fight to maintain top, that they're working harder to get out. It's easy for me to concede position out of basically laziness. I find the fight against the voice telling me to give up the battle of the moment is at least as tough as my physical opponent.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

spb posted:

It seems like an hour of treadmill vs an hour of rolling that the rolling would be more applicable to well more rolling. Maybe its not that simple though.

In a typical 5-minute roll my HR might break 150 for a combined 60 seconds. If I'm running relatively fast my HR will be over 150 for the entire 5 minutes. What's more, the better I get at bjj the less I need to work to accomplish whatever my goal for the roll is. Getting better at running just means I go faster/farther.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I see your point but have you considered that running loving blows

Yeah, but it feels so good to be done with it that it's barely worth it.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Southern Heel posted:

I've taken two judo classes before I moved house last year, so I'm thinking of starting BJJ nearby. What should I expect?

Use what you've learned in your two judo classes to embarrass the filthy ground dwellers. Start with the most advanced guy/girl there and work your way down.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I find a left grip right inside the armpit is effective at shutting down 98% off bjj takedown attempts, and sets up the koga-style ippon seoi when they try to figure out what to do about the grip.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Neon Belly posted:

Therabands and deadlifts have done wonderings for my chronic tennis elbow. Also, not death gripping during rolls.

One of the frequent causes of elbow tendon pain I've seen is people trying to use their thumbs and forefingers to provide the power for their grips. Often times getting them to switch to a judo-style grip, where the pinky, ring and middle finger do most of the gripping, seems to help.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah you're gonna have to cite an example or something, I've never even heard of a kid "breaking" their neck via bjj sub.

Here is an idea: weigh the pros and cons and make a decision with/for YOUR kid and screw everybody else.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Defenestrategy posted:

Mounted guillotines applied with extreme enthusiasm. Fat Man Choke when misapplied. RNC applied when opponent puts chin down*. Short/Long chokes applied when chin is down.* I've never heard of a kid getting broken to any of these, but there are subs where you can break your opponents neck if you really want.

*depends if opponent sets his Jaw. If opponent does not, the jaw gets broken, if he does the neck will go.

All of the submissions are designed to kill or maim your opponent, if you really want.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
How about this: Can I get a basic rundown of straight ankle lock finishing positions? At my gym the leg game is pretty much every man for himself, at my judo club it's so effective it's not even fair, even just for passing. Most of the video stuff I've seen is either focused on the finer points of the normal ashi lock, or focus on heel hooks.

I'm familiar with the normal ashi version, the double outside ashi version. I'd like to know more about the outside sankaku and 50/50 positions, and I have a vague notion of how to do a belly-down lock but lack a lot of the details. Texas cloverleaf version is pretty much a guarantee finish for me but I don't think I'd try it in a tournament, I'd probably avoid inside sankaku entirely if I can help it.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Tezcatlipoca posted:

As far as being aggressive, at one point I decided I was just going to go for double wrist locks from everywhere and see what I could get going. After a few weeks I had a bunch of new sweeps, subs, etc in my arsenal. Just try poo poo and ask your instructors for advice.

It's funny how that sometimes works.

"I'm going to work on my kimuras for a while!"
*Lands nothing but triangles for a month*

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Due to the adaptive nature of jiu jitsu in general, I feel like the leglock obsession, just like any new fad, is something that will auto-correct eventually. Whites and blues will see a period of unrealistic success due to opponents not being exposed to that aspect, since they're busy working on fundamentals. Whether its deliberate or not, eventually the competitive fundies will develop a workable defense against the leg game. They'll spread that at their school/area and the leglockers will find themselves ineffective. If the leg guys don't have any other technique options, that's pretty much going to be the end of the road for them. Eventually leglock offense/defense is going to become part of the fundamental BJJ game. Furthermore, having a bunch of mooks focusing on one specific type of technique at the expense of all other techniques means that specialization will become fundamental all the sooner. In my mind those guys are unintentionally hampering their own game so that they may elevate everyone elses.

I do understand though if club leadership would be concerned about the entire club going heedlessly down a dead end road, especially at any school with some competitive prestige behind them.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Defenestrategy posted:

Don't be so sure. IBJJF's want to pretty much forbid any leg submission beyond a straight ankle lock in the gi will keep a significant part of the population ignorant of the leg game in general with really no penalty. It's not absurd for someone to win pans or worlds by knowing how to escape a straight ankle lock or knee bar and never knowing a leg submission.

That is one of the limiting factors, and clubs that only compete in IBJJF rulesets will lag behind. Even still, the knowledge trickles out, and there's enough interest in leg submissions in general that virtually every club is getting SOME exposure. Hell, my club has never taught a single leglock, our competitors compete almost entirely under IBJJF rulesets, and yet there are several of us who've been exploring and seeing success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I'm about an inch shorter than you and weigh the same. I've not worn a tatami gi but in other brands I can wear either a 2L or 3. I usually use the A3's for practice, since they'll get washed more.

ihop fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 30, 2018