Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I got a custom mouthguard from these guys awhile back http://www.customguards.com it's like $100 for two of them, they mail you the mold and you mix it up and all that poo poo at home then mail it back to them. It's all very easy and the mouthguards are really nice and comfortable. Although it looks like now they put an ugly logo on the front of them and you have to pay a little more to have them clean, which is lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Do you guys have any guillotine tutorials to recommend? I just got back into aggressive manhugging and I've been trying to perfect my guillotines, especially my set ups for them from the top.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Dangersim posted:

Petition to get the crazy guy who trains with Ben Rothwell in here. I don't think he even grapples, but hell, it'll be fun.

Please no. I'm afraid his obsession with Ben Rothwell will spiral out of control and then things could get very dark. Like literally I get worried when I read his posts

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

origami posted:

Let's be considerate since he might read this thread and everyone has their own hangups and issues (although probably not even approaching the same degree). Even though we all want our fight buds to be healthy and happy the ask/tell thread probably shouldn't double as a mental health avenue since the only things we're all good at is killing our braincells and being cretins online. I'm not a mod though so whatever.

If he and I were to ever meet on the mat though I would lateral drop him onto this mystery concrete so hard..

Yeah, very true. His situation is very tough and I'm glad he has a healthy outlet and it's nice to see the encouragement from other posters. I am a thug online (and apparently IRL) though and sometimes would like to see less mental health stuff and more martial arts stuff. And if that guy were my training partner I would be incredibly nice, considerate, humble and encouraging to him.

I would also lateral drop him onto concrete if we were competing though, and if I had to cross face him I'd try to give him a bloody nose while doing it, and various other dick moves.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
trained at Soulcraft in Hamden, CT under Brad Wolfson for a bit, moving to Sacramento in a few weeks though and planning on checking out gyms

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I'm a 240 lb goon monstrosity with Mobn-esque calves and I swim w/ shirt on. I will be going nowhere near Ultimate Fitness

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

CommonShore posted:

The better the person throwing, the less those hurt. I got harai makkikomied by a muscley yellow belt on a drill not long ago and it succcckkkkkked. He left about 6 inches of space.

Yep, popped my shoulder out being thrown half-speed by an old man white belt, was just awkward timing (and my shoulder was hosed up anyways and kept popping out randomly, but the throw didn't help)

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

(Its a sure tap from the pain) Typically done if someone takes my back but they done have their hooks in quite properly. I was shown this move from one of the FPJJ black belts who came up to visit from Sao Paulo.

That move has been talked about already but I had to post cus I trained with Paulo and Adam down there at SDBJJ for a long time 7 or 8 years ago, back when Adam was a blue belt. It's always funny when Paulo brings those Sao Paulo black belts to show stuff cus while they're legit black belts they sometimes show "tough guy" moves that would only really work on untrained beginners. Almost like it's self-defense stuff, nothing that you could use in competition. That sounds like one of those tough guy moves... Kinda fun to know but ultimately useless since an untrained beginner shouldn't be taking your back in the first place.

Jerome Louis fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 19, 2018

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Purple but I haven't trained much in 7 or so years. Trained BJJ for almost 4 years and wrestled pretty seriously in high school so I was promoted to blue in 9 months. Back on the mats now for a few weeks going 3x a week... I feel like a white belt again.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

butros posted:

Pretty sure I separated my shoulder on Monday. Guy caught me with a fireman carry and instead of rolling through to my back I landed square on my shoulder. No audible pop, and in the moment while it hurt I still had range of motion so kept rolling through the rest of class, but as soon as I cooled down it started hurting pretty bad right at the point where the collarbone meets the shoulder.

Two days on and it hurts worst if I poke it, if I try to reach behind myself as if being kimuraed and also when I tense myself to sit or stand up (getting out of bed is particularly painful).

I had a doctor's appointment scheduled for Tuesday anyways so am going to ask him to take a look then but am hoping it's just low level sprain or bruising. In that best case, any guess at how long RICEing it before I can at least go back to drilling? Weeks? Months?

I separated mine and didn't do the right stuff and ended up getting arthritis and bone spurs in it, felt like it was on fire for years. They eventually had to scope it out and now I just have scar tissue instead of an ac joint. Definitely rest and avoid sparring for awhile. Might want to go to a sport doctor too if you have decent insurance.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

JaySB posted:

I don't think it's nearly as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. While I agree it's kinda silly to let other people whip you with a belt as a sign of your growth in a sport, it's like 15 seconds of pain for something you spent a couple years of getting your rear end kicked to earn.

Agreed... I'm in more pain from soreness after rolling than any smack from a cloth belt comes close to. It never seemed like a big deal to me

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's not about the pain, it's about it being stupid macho bullshit that people may very reasonably not want to participate in.

I don't really care if people want to participate in it or not, I just never even understood the idea that it was so repugnant to some people that it would draw such a big amount of ire... I guess having played sports most of my life has warped my view of that stuff

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You really have that much trouble understanding why someone might have reservations about a sadomasochistic group hazing ritual?

I don't see it that way, so yes

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I've dislocated my shoulder over a dozen times, no longer have an AC joint, and regularly get choked to near unconsciousness by a 270 lb man with bad B.O. and dreadlocks. I'm for sure not normal or well adjusted and I'm ok with that

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
It's stupid but so bowing every time you step on or off the mat and lining up by belt color and bowing and shaking each other's hands at the end of every class. BJJ and sports in general are full of stupid poo poo

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

butros posted:

What’s wrong and stupid with shaking hands at the end of class?

I dunno but I'm sure someone out there online has a problem with it

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Marching Powder posted:

you shake hands before every roll and if respect and good will isn't implicit with a person in a gym i'd hope he would get kicked out. it's superfluous and unnecessary and dumb and is probably only done by frat boys, military guys, and the guys who gave me swirlies in high school. it's disgusting that people think this ritual is necessary and every gym that does it should be embarrassed that the only thing holding the fabric of the gym community together is the shaking of hands at the end of class. *spits* pure loving filth

Frankly I don't like the idea that I'm being forced to shake hands with people who have been in the military, or god forbid, a frat. An IT guy, for sure I'll shake his hand, and perhaps even bow.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I did kyokushin for a while growing up, and there were definitely some physical pain/hazing stuff that teachers and students would do during promotions that was worse than belt whippings and definitely crossed the line of stuff that should have been done with kids. The gauntlet has a similar vibe that I'm not comfortable with and choose not to participate in, on either side. Handshakes at the end of class, not so much. I also don't think that anyone is wrong or bad for taking part in the gauntlet (though I probably do look a little more favorably on coaches who choose not to do it).

Real posting -- I don't really fault people for not wanting to do it, it is kinda stupid. I don't hit people hard at all even if I know them, more as just an acknowledgement, hey you did it. I really am probably warped from wrestling meat head culture where people would try to give each other cauli ear on purpose or steal kids clothes and make them run around the school in their underwear. Worst was when a coach had kids hold down another kid when he found out the kid had minor hemophilia and would bruise at the slightest pinch. The coach tried to pinch his initials into the kid so they would show up as a bruise and the kid got majorly hosed up, whole leg swollen and nasty. Parents made him quit wrestling and coach almost got fired. And I know for sure other wrestlers had it worse, so to me the gauntlet is extremely minor stuff, but probably not so to other people. Now that I'm officially Old I probably shouldn't take it so lightly since my kids will maybe do this stuff some day and I want them to like it.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Unfunny Poster posted:

:lol:

What sort of lovely school district did you go to that thought this dude should stay on after doing that?

He was our head coach and like 70 years old... this was back in 1999 too. He was about to retire anyways so I think they just took the heat off him and let him retire.

He was rad but hosed up... called everyone "meatball" and would show us weird little techniques like how to break fingers and poo poo

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I've gained a lot of weight being off for 8 years so I'm 6'1 270 now (all muscle for sure, this big belly is just 1 big muscle ;) ) and an ex wrestler and I pretty much just tell smaller people if they're not comfortable rolling with me I completely understand. I'm the biggest guy at my gym and if I'm rolling with someone new to me I usually start sitting and let them take top to see how hard they want to go. If I sweep and get top I don't go full smash if they're a lot smaller/older. But if it's someone I know is good and likes to go hard I'll go full smash. I'm still getting back to where I was before I quit all those years ago, last thing I want to do is hurt anyone or hurt myself now that I'm older.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Same I just bought some stuff too since they have fat rear end goon sizes

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
My coach Dustin Akbari is doing Quintet today :cool: he has been working on wrestling a ton lately with an olympic gold medalist so he has developed a really fast and wild wrestling based game, should be fun

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I train at Ultimate Fitness so everyone is shirtless even during gi classes

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Specifically with that short fat guy and how tall you are I was begging for some front headlocks once he started ducking down after you got a lapel grip. Major props for competing while injured and posting the vid.

Jerome Louis fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 30, 2018

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

ICHIBAHN posted:

Most common smell I've noticed are vegetables, weed and rear end musk.

This is going to be really weird but I think a lot about smells in BJJ. I'm a sensory scientist and I was actually thinking about doing a write up about gross BJJ smells. One of the most common I've smelled is nonanal is which is like a greasy smell from decomposition of natural skin oils and one of the first things I notice in a gi. It doesn't help that I'm hyper sensitive to that aroma. As a gi gets worse I start noticing butyric and isovaleric acid which is the smell of vomit and stinky feet or Limburger cheese. If a guy smells like that then I won't roll with him. Sometimes I really wish I wasn't aware of this stuff.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Odddzy posted:

What's the thing that makes some clothes smell like ammonia?

I need to do a literature search to be 100% sure but ammonia is a byproduct of amino acid breakdown so I attribute it to the degradation of those in the gi. It could also be urea excreted from sweat. Another related thing is that piss smell. Some people who sweat just smell like ammonia but I think that piss smell has something to do with microbe activity so I avoid those who smell like piss

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Even the white belts at my gym are pretty good at leg locks and heel hooks. Since it's an MMA gym everything is pretty much fair game and leg locks are taught along with the rest of a standard curriculum. It's understood though that you don't crank them and you give time for your partner to tap.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Some rear end in a top hat had on spray tanner and did no-gi (probably shirtless) today

Jerome Louis fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 11, 2018

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Mel Mudkiper posted:

why is your gym a void?

I train at Ultimate Fitness, that's just a small corner :p

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Yuns posted:

This is amazing.

The stains are still there today, looks like they're not coming off. The mats here are in rough shape so hopefully Urijah springs for some new ones soon.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

spandexcajun posted:

Last week I noticed 3 new students (two I know that have been coming consistently for 3 - 4 months, one is brand new) stayed for our advanced class. We do a 1 hour fundamental class that has 10 - 15 min warm up then a 1h15min adv class with a 15 - 20 min warmup.

Anyhow, these 3 stayed after the fundamental class for advanced and did not do any warm ups for the advanced class. Like, they just sat on the mats and B.S.ed while we did warmups then joined the class for instruction / drilling.

This really bothered me, my wife who bjj's as well told me she saw the same thing happen recently. The owner does not seem to care much about warmups, in that i mean he just has a bluebelt run them or whatever and looks at his phone then teaches class. This is not really a big deal to me except that our old owner always ran and participated in warmups and I miss that a little bit.

What are the thread thoughts? Is this ok, not ok or no big deal ether way?

I do the fundamentals class after our regular class every time and almost never do the full warmup. I'm already warm and have just rolled multiple rounds. I might join in if it's a skill I want to work on like granby rolls or hip movement drills. No one really cares at my gym and people who do two classes almost always skip the 2nd warmup. Then again we're super casual and if someone comes in late for the first class and skips warmup my coach doesn't care.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Count Roland posted:

BJJ schools are often lax on warmups and it bugs me. My current school barely does them at all, certainly not enough to warm up anything.

My old gym had, in retrospect, an amazing warmup. Jumping jacks first. Then jogging, side-stepping, backwards jogging and similar stuff. Then we line up and do various movements down the (long) mat. Shrimping, front rolls, cartwheels, broad jumps, jumping lunges, all sorts of animals walks, butt scoots, a lot of variety here with a different mix each class.

Then you partner up and do more warmup drills. Stuff like fast torreando passes, or quick butterfly elevations, or armbar to triangle and back at high speed. Again a lot of variation here.

Only after all that did the technique start. I got in good shape doing all that several times a week, plus rolling at the end.

e: jeez I actually forgot some, there was a segment of solo mat drills. Stuff like leg raises, leg scissors, air triangles, sit throughs, rolling back so your toes are on the mat, various stretches and the like. I don't know how the instructor packed so much in to one class.

Too long of a warmup bothers me, in a 1.5 hour class if we spend 30 minutes warming up that's time away from drilling and rolling. Especially if a bunch of time is spent doing non bjj specific calisthenics. I can do conditioning on my own time

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Got a stripe. Feels good after taking 8 years off and I've been back now for around 8 months, feel like I'm really making progress. I keep comparing myself to when when I was 25 and training 6 days a week in super good shape, and I think me back then would still beat me now. All the dudes who were promoted to blue with me back in the day who kept training are black belts now. Just gotta keep training.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Anyone have stories about new weirdos coming into the gym and acting crazy? Here's one recent incident, I've seen a few at our gym and can tell more if anyone is interested.

This young guy, maybe 18 or 19 comes in. He has braces and a decent amount of baby fat, he was maybe 5'8 185 or so. It's his first BJJ class and Chad is teaching. Chad is a super nice guy but he is an Alliance black belt and he is one of the last people I would ever gently caress with. The kid corners Chad in the locker room and tells him "I bet in two months I'll be tapping you." Chad laughs and tells him he'll give him 5 years and if he can score a point on him he'll quit BJJ. Class starts and the kid can't finish warmup, he gives up trying during drills and sits there while his partner works in with another group. He asks me "Hey when do I get my blue belt?" And I tell him to not worry about that right now and keep training.

I pair up with him during sparring in case he spazzes, but I think he realized he can't just "go crazy" and win. He explains to me that he can punch and kick but this ground stuff is too hard. I give him the usual speech I give to day 1 newbies - you're gonna get tapped over and over for a long time, but you will get better if you keep training. He stares off into space and says "Dang... I gotta be humble...".

I never see him in BJJ again, only in Muay Thai a few times spazzing out, then he pulled one of the women aside and asked them if they would ever consider modelling (I saw this with my own eyes and she was super uncomfortable). They got creeped out and said something to a coach and I never saw the kid again.

I should add I don't judge him for not being able to finish the warmup or having trouble with the movements or anything... It's that weird arrogance that you can fight and win against trained killers with zero idea of what it takes. I dunno where that comes from.

Jerome Louis fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 25, 2018

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Just let him do whatever don't worry about it

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Odddzy posted:

On the subject of rolling hard, I was listening to a podcast with Lachland Giles and he mentioned Craig Jones' rolling philosophy back when he would train more often in Australia.

When he'd roll, he would only go at 25-30 percent. Super low impact pace. Thanks to that, the guy could have a huge volume of training in place over the week and wouldn't need to recuperate/rehab too much stuff.

I'd like to try going that slow/safe for a while and figure out how well it works for me.

This is my approach, I'd rather be able to train a lot more at low intensity than only be able to go 3 or 4 days a week and spar like a madman. If only I could get the wannabe MMA fighters to cooperate with me

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

willie_dee posted:

Another possibly dumb question.

Can openers, are they allowed in Gi Ju Jitsu? Its one of the only moves I know and I tried one on a blackbelt and he laughed at me and called me a thug from Pride FC, but seemed in good spirits about it when I said it and the guillotine were the only things I knew barely half competently.

In competition probably not depending on the rule set, but it's not a very effective move anyways in gi or no gi

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Odddzy posted:

Whelp, the shoulder injury i've been mentioning over the past few months has been MRI'd, it's a posterior Labrum tear. From what I understand, it's something that requires surgery in most cases. Can anyone here ask around or give me some idea of what that means for grappling and post surgery adjustments I'd have to do?

I've had two labrum repairs on my left shoulder. The first surgery failed 6 years after surgery and my shoulder popped out when a guy put me in spider guard. The 2nd surgery is holding strong 10 years later. You'll need to take your time getting back into BJJ after surgery. Fortunately nowadays there is a plethora of info on the internet you can read on shoulder rehab stuff. I can do everything in BJJ now, but I tap super quickly to shoulder locks and have a fairly limited range of motion in that shoulder.

I haven't looked into PRP or stem cells or anything like that. Hopefully that will work and you won't need surgery.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I've been having crazy back spasms every week and it's really been limiting my training, down to 2 or so classes a week when I could be doing 5-6. Really frustrating because I feel I've been improving a ton lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMf-5-pGieE

I've been working this closed guard break a ton and have been successful against pretty much everyone with it (at breaking guard), just need to be careful with hiding the knees and keeping an ankle back when you stand up