Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
BJJ is also a lot more expensive than Judo. I considered trying it at my uni as during semester which hosts some reasonably accomplished judoka, as an alternative to BJJ during semester, but the fact they didn't have any dedicated newaza days was a big turnoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
What are your feelings on Ricardo Arona?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Death Bucket posted:

Did a tournament today. In my last match, I hit the Minowaman rolling single takedown. Unfortunately he snatched up an omoplata and ended up submitting me with the Rings of Saturn. It was pretty much the most fun match I've ever had.

Please tell me there is a video of this.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'm somewhere in between (179cm and a solid 82kg) and I find bottom more fun because it feels like I'm playing a game, especially in guard and deep half guard, no matter how big the other guy is. I push here and pull there and set X up, and it's just cool.

When I'm on top I feel like I have to win, which probably says something about my attitude to the sport but nonetheless. :)

The mosty demoralising thing is that for the past 6 months I've had personal training sessions from a black belt and no matter how active and good I am he has never seeemed even slightly puffed. He's a bit bigger than me but still, goddamn, even when I'm rolling well and in good shape he finds it all so easy.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Reminder that is how the Fertitas and Dana would settle any conflict according to Zuffa's constitution, so in some cases it can be that cool.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Bohemian Nights posted:

My RNC's are really terrible too. It's sad because I have a pretty solid backmount-- starting to work with the seatbelt grip has helped me, though, and my years of being a lovely choker has made my armbar from the backmount pretty good, so there's a silver lining anyway.

I've found letting an opponent slip out on the opposite side from your underhook with the seatbelt grip lets you turn over into an arm triangle a lot. My RNCs also suck, quite a bit.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Thoguh posted:

Regretably that's pretty standard for BJJ in the US.

Everywhere. BJJ is really expensive in Australia too. My coach says it cost him a similar amount when he was training in Brazil.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
This coverage is really annoying. As soon as one match gets interesting it changes to another.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Bohemian Nights posted:

Apparently one of the woman's winning champions used her victory speech to speak out against steroids, and called for testing. Neat. It'd be nice if the confederation would listen.

A squad of men wearing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Centre clothing were later seen running away from a locker room in which this woman was found dead.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Pres posted:

I've been training BJJ for the last 8 months and I'm having very little luck with Triangles from guard, I'm about 98kg and quite stocky with shortish leg.

I think my problem is coming from trying to bait people to give me their arms etc.

Any tips would be appreciated

If you've got a good hip bump this is a decent set-up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yoaQjv2T4

Ryan Hall's stuff on the triangle generally is really good, actually.

I used to have immense trouble with triangles until I realised I was hip escaping the wrong way to set it up. This took me 15 months of training. :downs:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Video comment:

I Am Literally Gay

DemoniusXsFan 8 months ago

Of course.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Signing up for a gym when you can only make a class a week doesn't seem cost effective. And the best thing for grappling at a low level is more grappling. Check out if there are any judo or, for whatever reason, sambo places near you. Otherwise just do your normal routine. This question gets asked a lot, but I feel like if you don't have a particular goal it's hard to recommend anything.

Edit: Unless your regular routine isn't a good one generally, in which case W&W has all your answers.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

colonel_korn posted:

at least cooler heads prevailed and we didn't get a repeat of the Ricardo Arona Pancrase match

What I've always loved about this video is that a soon as Arona perceives he may be in a fighting scenario, his hands go down and wide and his head perfectly upright, chin exposed for all the world.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Another Ryan Hall interview I don't think anyone has posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSDUVkY-OMk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSwv-xlvUX0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KieHOnkinrY&feature=related

I was interested that he wanted to fight MMA; I wouldn't have picked him as someone who'd want to make the transition.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

imtheism posted:

My coach competed in ADCC 2007. He mentioned to me that he had no idea how slippery the mats were going to be. His theory is that they do it on purpose to keep the game more skewed towards bjj rather than wrestling (which I would buy). Said making any sort of good penetrating takedowns was hard as gently caress, and that if he ever competes in adcc again he is going to wear wrestling shoes.

I cannot imagine how awful it would be to wear wrestling shoes if you were in the same division as Palhares.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I always learn something when I watch myself rolling. I try to record most of the rolls I do at home. I don't know about recording at the gym though. A lot of people get weird about being filmed, or having people film in their buildings.

There is tape of me out there in my first BJJ class ever. It's ugly, and I wish a camera hadn't been there to record my shame for posterity.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

hopper2k posted:

He looks pretty short. Anyone know his height?

He's 5'8. This is also a very lazy post given how easily available this information is.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Drysdale is doing a bit of a tour of Australia right now. There was a seminar at my club in Perth a couple of weeks back. I don't think it's that unusual, anyway; Rodolpho Vieira is running a week long programme at a local club that isn't a big centre or anything.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Gladstone posted:

Hey Perth goon, just wondering which club are you at? I tried out the trial at Legion 13 a few months back and enjoyed it, just haven't been able to commit to it due to school and lack of funds recently.

Any recommendations for grappling gyms in Perth?

I'm at the Academy of MMA in Mirrabooka. I've only trained at Fight Club/Mach 1 in Osborne Park and AMMA so I couldn't really comment on how it is overall. AMMA is good if you want more of a focus on no-gi. I find no-gi to be a ton more fun so it works for me.

All of them are tremendously expensive. The Beaufort street one is probably the worst offender. Fitness Fight Centre in northbridge had some okay prices but that is also a notorious hangout for bikies and was recently shot up over a bikie feud.

quote:

Neurosis, how was the seminar? Was it gi or no-gi? What was covered?

Second-hand information says it was good; I had to miss it because of exam commitments. It was no-gi.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Roger Gracie not quitting MMA; says he's going to focus on it more intensely for future fights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jLATBzweP4

I want to believe he's serious about it but my heart has been broken too many times by BJJ aces underperforming to give it much credence.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Bohemian Nights posted:

Hey Fatherdog, award me a blue belt

I hope when reciting your lineage you say 'Fatherdog' rather than whatever his real name is.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Marcelo did that on Ben Askren when they were rolling if I recall correctly. It owned.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure that's an imposter, from the fact that he's wearing a gi top.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

fatherdog posted:

I watched up until the 165ers yesterday, then had to take a long phone call, and I came back right into the heavyweights. That was, uh, a strong contrast.

Is there a big skill gap between the heavy and light weight classes like in MMA or are you just talking about the style of wrestling being different?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Mardragon posted:

I made a pretty informed post about this a couple years ago and I believe the jist of it was that the skills are different. The skill level at heavyweight is slightly lower because there are less of them. However that being said you couldn't take someone like Kyle Dake and blow him up to heavyweight with some magic ray and expect him to do well. Many of the things that work at lower weights don't work at heavyweight. Shooting a double for example, at lower weights I they sprawl you can TGIF through it, but at heavy if they get a sprawl on your double life sucks pretty hard. It's just completely different.

I remembered the stylistic differences from that post but couldn't recall how well distributed skill was. Thanks!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BlindSite posted:

Wear a cup, no one likes your junk rubbing on them.

I have been to four gyms and trained with 50+ guys and no one has worn a cup. Unless you enjoy frottage it's not going to be a problem.

I've also found mouthguards are only an issue when doing guard stuff. Most commonly breaking people down in your guard will have them headbutting your teeth. This is actually really common, though, so a mouthguard is definitely worth getting. Kneepads may also be advisable if the mat surface of the local gym is rough. Certain surfaces will injure your skin so badly you can't train for a couple of weeks.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Xguard86 posted:

I've also taken a couple teeth rattlers passing guard as well.

I meant the other way around. Tugging on a guy's elbows and shifting my legs up results in a number of headbutts. I'm only 179cm (~5'10 or 5'11) though so if you are 6' plus it might be a different experience.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Braulio seems like a cool guy from this video and other things I've heard form people who've trained with him so this just makes me more upset for when he inevitably does terribly in MMA.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Chexoid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bec_CVKUWuU

Here's a pretty cool, if lovely quality, video of Marcelo and Maia rolling. I know it's just rolling and not serious, but seeing Maia get swept and submitted like that is just weird (marcelo owns).

edit: Got a better quality version.

Maia hasn't been training purely BJJ for quite a while now, which might account for how weird it appears.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Not a good impersonation because he didn't remind us his grandfather created the UFC.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Last night my BJJ coach opened the class by informing us he had some "next level poo poo" planned. Then we had a cartwheel competition.

Hahahahaha.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Ahahaa at Silvero getting so pissy about closed guard.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

MycroftXXX posted:

I like how the dude break dancing all over the place ended up just quitting. Its no time limit man, relax.

That slicer is pretty nasty, I wanna learn that.

The video seemed to indicate the guy had gassed harder than his opponent and that the Irish guy was then in control. Still surprised at the quit, though.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

1st AD posted:

Maybe Schaub is just really good in a gi...

The Gilbert Yvel effect.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The worst that'll happen is you'll roll with some arsehole who likes dominating people and attempting to embarrass them. There's a couple at every gym but by and large no one will give a gently caress.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

As soon as kicks and punches begin, Arona's hands go down to waist level, and his head becomes perfectly vertical, like he has a steel rod in his spine. It is beautiful.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ryan Hall owns.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

origami posted:

While true that's not Ryan Hall

Ah. All I could see was a smaller white guy with brown hair and just assumed. The guy in that video also owns.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl5YYqVe1cU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

fatherdog posted:

Yeah, if Kitaoka doesn't catch him early Garry's going to cardio him into the ground.

Oh man. He was the most fun guy to watch in that BJJ Kumite thing. Going to be watching that.