Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jerome Louis posted:

Lost my temper last night during a roll and I'm embarrassed.

We have a guy in our gym that is exactly like this. As a matter of fact Ill probably see him today at lunch! I have tapped this dude a few times already and each time he just comes at me like his life depends on it. I noticed yesterday he was doing this with a guest of the gym that had rolled in from Brazil. Talk about rude! Hes also a cop and I mean no disrespect to any police out there, but some (a fraction) of them can be total dicks and if you tap them they really really let it affect their ego.

As for losing it, I have only lost my poo poo once on a dude and when I tapped him my coach just looked over at me with a grin on his face because he knew that dude needed to be checked too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

Here's one of my teammates killing a dude with a triangle from bottom side control - https://www.flograppling.com/video/6218777-jeremiah-vance-nails-venus-flytrap-choke

I see these types of chokes and Im just like "my leg wont do that", but then Ill go and try it :D

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jerome Louis posted:

I think it's ego, and from interacting with him he doesn't seem very bright. He'll either learn or he'll wash out in the next few months

They usually do from what I have noticed.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

Any of you guys ever sit and watch your kids in their class? How come the grownup classes never do any of those fun games and poo poo? I'm jealous as hell.

I try to leave work early enough to go and watch my kids before I take them home and my wife starts her class. I love watching my older daughter spar. I just love watching her improve. My younger daughter still loves to just gently caress around in class. Tonight is what they call "Fun Friday". We have a really huge mat space and they do nothing but team building games, swing from ropes and do little obstacle courses. I have no idea how they have the energy at the end of the day to do it all.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

See if you can sweep from bottom. Thats a win right there.

Im currently having a problem with my training partners doing the opposite escape that I want them to do and therefore going into the easy submission. "No, I wanted you to go the other way for me to work on what I really wanted to work on". This is happening with a lot of my sparring sessions where I am going for the back.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I feel like 90% of what makes a grip a "dominant" grip is footwork, hips, and leverage, and very little has to do with where your hands are actually grabbing.

Im noticing this is more true in NoGi than in Gi. I feel like I can get away with more in Gi than in NoGi in terms of grips.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Today was large man day at open mat at 10th Planet. I made the mistake of letting a 350lbs+ guy get top position.

We have a dude in the gym now that is 6'7" and at least 300lbs. I got him in full guard and he tried smothering my face thinking that was going to "tire me out". It annoyed me but didnt tire me out. Ended up arm barring him.

It really is funny even the biggest strongest guys getting submitted and becoming quite humble after a day or two on the mat. The ones that aren't usually leave.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jerome Louis posted:

Our gym is dirty and grimy as gently caress for sure, but I love it there. So since I can't control the cleanliness of the gym at least I can control the cleanliness of my face

Funny thing is that if people kept themselves clean and poo poo off the mat it should all work itself out and you shouldn't have to worry about catching anything on the mats if they are properly cleaned each night. Doesn't sound to me like you are doing anything wrong, others just aren't taking care of themselves(?)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Working on back attacks as well. My professor showed me a cool transition that works in the gi. In the back attack dvd, John often grabs the hands right at the knuckle with Johns hand covering the top part of his opponents, this works well in the gi as well and as long as your hand is pushing your opponents down and away, you can often make the transition to getting to the lapel faster than your opponent can get there to defend. Ive tried it in sparring and it works pretty well.

Love the DVD. John is great at explaining details.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Saw a white belt almost get his arm broken in class today from not tapping to an armbar. Had a little discussion with him after his roll. Sometimes a gentle reminder that there is some time that is needed from the time you tap or say "tap", to the time when it reaches your opponent's ear and he processes it for him to stop is what is needed.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spandexcajun posted:

How To Do The Perfect BJJ Side Control Escape by John Danaher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuXq-k__9lQ

If this is a preview of John's "fundamentals" videos I am excited. I don't get a lot from watching BJJ instructions, I need to do the physical reps to build muscle memory.

But for things I am already familiar with (like this side control escape, I was shown it pretty much exactly like John shows) the breaking down of the parts and level of details are awesome. I think really hammering in fundamentals will help a bluebelt like me quite a bit.

Danaher's fundamentals will probably be the first BJJ instructional videos I ever buy.

John looks funny in a gi. Maybe we are so used to seeing him in a rashguard that when he puts on a jacket it looks...off :D

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

It's all on reddit. Mostly older stuff where people were accusing John of stealing material etc. Recently, some people were hating on his repetition and on the armbar series for being too repetitive.

His being a possible serial killer is not panning him. Tha's just fact that even his friends suspect.

He is repetitive but gently caress thats what jiu jitsu is about, from repetitively coming in to getting submitted to drilling. Honestly I was watching the triangle series and I was a little bummed that the Hantai Sankaku video was so short (I think its less than an hour long). Repetition of concepts is essential to learning.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Using the Georgian grip for Sumi setups is sick. I hit a sacrifice throw using that on my instructor today. Even if you botch it, you still have the right sleeve grip that you can use for a butterfly sweep. Of course I got my rear end handed to me right after that, but....yeah progress on the Judo front.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Your head should probably be nowhere near elbow range.

I ended up kneeing someone in the head this morning from a Kimura backtake in our nogi class this morning. I thought he was coming up so I slid my bottom hook under his left side but I guess I was wrong and my knee went into the top of his head. I apologized but he still seemed pretty pissed about it because he mentioned it to everyone in the gym what happened :(

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

Not much to expound on. You don't compete; you don't get promoted. He'll promote non competitors once in a while but it's rare and typically only when a senior guy reminds him that someone should have been promoted a while ago.

Dont get promoted by him or just not at all?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I started following Danaher on Instagram and his captions remind me of the lectures Pedro Sauer gives us at the end of classes. Danahers caption about making sure you immobilize your opponent before going for a submission was pretty eye opening. It is probably very common sense no poo poo advice to most of you guys but it helped me a lot

Thats because most of the time you literally cannot get a submission without first securing the position.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Yeah but “position over submission” didn’t hammer the point home for me. Sometimes when I get into, say, side control I will start grabbing around for lapel chokes or kimuras without properly wedging their body up, eliminating the frames, controlling their head and basically immobilizing their body

Yeah elimination of one detail can literally lead to failure of a submission :(

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah I dont think anyone truly gets the importance of securing position and being tight until you are a blue belt. It just comes with time.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Feel pretty fortunate to train with this guy on the regular. Hes an inspiration to me and many others in our gym. Plus hes a goddamn beast on the mat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI-pgBU5_ro

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yikes.

Anyway, I have been trying with great success the opposite side triangle or Hantai Sankaku as John likes to call it. I actually manage to get into a figure of four this morning, not sparring, but just trying to hit the position with ease drilling it. Apparently being a big dude has absolutely no factor with successfully getting that position!

Has anyone else got Johns Triangle DVD and tried this?? I find this to be the most difficult one in the series to initially wrap your head around.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

If danaher likes it you should take a pic together and send it to the parody guy. (who should send John a rashguard so he can go full inception on the next enter the system DVD)

I bought Keenan's lapel series. Watched the first 2 hours of the DVD and rolled for 2 hours last night with it.

Trip report: everyone at my gym now hates me. I look forward to this journey to becoming "that guy".

Worm guard is slowing making its way into our gym as well. People hate it (myself included), but its just another problem to solve.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Has anyway bought Adam Wardzinskis butterfly guard series? After triangles I think this might the next one I watch and try out.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spb posted:

I did and its really good. I've been trying to get better with butterfly, it's just hard for me to even initiate it...

I feel comfortable in the butterfly position/ x guard setups, but I understand the initiation. Thought this might give me some ideas and concepts to play with.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Certainly do it to a long coat or hoody.

I would love to see someone put out a video where this is put to the test.

CommonShore posted:

The first time someone worm guarded me I fell over and died.

Now when someone starts fishing for that poo poo I start swatting their hands away until either I get a scramble and pass or they grab my feet and I fall over and die.

We have someone specifically that does nothing but worm guard. Im like "ok I know it works but you got anything else????"

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Shadow225 posted:

How long did you guys train before competing?
There are some local competitions coming up that I am considering. I have been going about twice a week since November, minus a month for injury. I know I am not good, but I don't know how bad I actually am since I roll with higher belts 90% of the time.

Blue belt (fresh).

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

awkward_turtle posted:

Belt grip throws are like 80% of my gi arsenal. The yoko wakari(I do not know judo names very well) if they get wise and try to run is good to, you can find it looking for kashiwazaki on youtube.

Did a search, theres all kinds of good stuff from him! Thanks for this.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Freudian slippers posted:

So, how'd it go?

Post video.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spb posted:

Are privates worth it? I've never done it.

I paid $60 an hour for my professor and he showed me a lot of back transitions that I ended up working into my game and now I use all the time. Def worth it imo, but know what your goals are going into it.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

If there is one thing that martial arts has taught me is that I would never want to get into a scrap in the street.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I use competitions as a way to focus on the things I need work on as they otherwise might not manifest themselves in the gym during sparring or you just might not have an opportunity for those things to be exposed.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

I learned a lot when I competed. I think it's worth doing at least a couple times as a hobbyist just to get some perspective on your game. You train with the same people day in and day out, they know your game, you know theirs. The next best thing to competition is dropping in at a different gym.

Truth. Dropping into another gym, dont think your same game is going to work in there. This has happened to me a few times.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

The only that still bothers me is if a whale smothers me; I'll sometimes make bad choices to get out of that. Need more whale rolling.

Im trying to get the whales in my class to apply their weight. Its a problem with heavy guys that we dont want to fully apply our weight out of fear of injuring our training partners.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

All the big guys in my gym I seek out rolls with, especially if they are upper belts. We have a former lineman who played for the Ducks who is a black belt who absolutely crushes me (and seems to enjoy it) who is forcing me to get better from bottom at escaping. I attribute my rolls with him to achieving that goal!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I think these comments are bad for attracting women into the gym and I would love to know what the women really think of this type of behavior in the blue basement. I honestly dont think it helps elevate the sport. On the other hand it was afucking joke (if a poor one) so....

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I literally dont know who he is but I also know if someone at my gym did this but otherwise was a decent dude at the gym I wouldn't dwell on it

Bingo!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Two general questions for you guys:

1. Is crossfacing considered a "dick move"? To me, the crossface is just another thing to deal with and if you cant figure out how to shut it down from half guard you need to work on your game. Im cool with it, others seem to complain and see it as a dick move.

2. What do you do with people that prematurely tap? I get it, Im heavy, it sucks when Im in mount, but really am trying to set something up and trying to get into position. Im getting this from blue belts and its frustrating!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Question for Yuns: In the blue basement how often are you guys hitting Hantai Sankaku?? I've been trying but missing. Its seems really really hard to get in sparring.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I want those ADIDAS track style GI pants so bad

Adidas makes a pretty drat fine gi.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

Mummy face was much harder to do then I thought.

edit: how the gently caress do I resize/rotate an image!!! ugh

Nicely done congrats!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

Not that often but not because we can't get it but that we get so many ushiro sankaku and conventional sankaku that we don't need hantai as much. But hantai is pretty easy to get and finish. Are you have problems with the entry or finish or something in between?

I have a problem maintaining control of my opponents head because of the weird position. I think I have the leg position down pretty well because I have drilled it quite a few times with a buddy of mine. But in live sparring it seems I cant keep their head down and it starts to fall apart. Any recommendations?

My head coach likes it, he just would rather me use it as a setup for a kimura, but damnit I want to hit it pretty bad just to say I did :P

Front and rear I hit a lot in sparring, its just this one is a bit frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

Use the knee to drive their head down. Keep a grip on the head pulling it down rotate perpendicular to your opponents spine and roll back onto your shoulders and use the knee of your leg behind the head to drive it down before you fully lock it. (This is your higher leg you are using) I hope that is clear.

Ok yeah that def helps. I think that might be the detail Im missing. I am mainly trying to use my hand to pull down the head and then only attempting to engage my leg for the lockup. I hope that makes sense too how Im messing it up.