Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Today I had some someone drive their knee on belly into knee into solar plexus and heard a pop. Doesnt hurt but a little sore. Anyone else had this injury?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

Tweaked my knee in judo this weekend, I'm realizing now. I think it would have been a ton worse if I hadn't been doing yoga regularly for the last few weeks. I started doing yin style which gives flexibility gains pretty quickly. At the moment of the throw I was like "oh no, my knee is destroyed" then right afterwards it felt fine. I feel it today but it feels like a muscle slightly overstretched. Much better than feeling like a tendon is completely torn.

I almost hosed up my knee attempting uchi mata on a dude that was my size because I hesitated for a second during the move.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

Spazzy white belt kid showed up again today after being gone for 5-6 weeks. First thing he does is kick me in the head during rounds (just straight up in standup in the first 10 seconds throws a head kick). It didn't land clean but I layed into him pretty hard and the coach pulled him aside and said if he ever does it again he's out. His excuse was he has been training karate and forgot it wasn't allowed :wtc:

I then proceeded to give him the most miserable 15 minutes I possibly could because what the gently caress. I practiced swapping between knee-on belly and s-mount over and over and even managed to pull off a mounted gogoplata for the first time ever. I was watching the clock and tried to make a game of making him tap every minute on the minute. He said he's leaving for 2 months this summer starting in a week and I can't wait this this little poo poo is gone.

I personally think its ok to kick the poo poo out of white belts that are trying to hurt you or going full spazz. Has happened to me a few times. Im a step away from getting my purple belt and what I have noticed is that most of these types of people weed out by then.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Definitely tell them to chill out, but also beat big buys with movement and don't play bottom.

I played bottom on a spazzy white belt that was 6'7" 300lbs and I armbar'd him. But my closed guard is pretty decent so I dont mind being there.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I think you should get used to playing bottom and being able to defend yourself here, even against much larger people. In my gym I am one of the larger people and while I am bit more experienced than the average white belt I regularly get submitted or swept (more often the case) by people that are much smaller and quicker than me (higher rank of course). I would say work on your guard and some basics from guard: triangles, armbars, omoplata, and then the basic sweeps (scissor, flower, hip bump)). There really shouldn't be a reason why someone that is 160lbs cant armbar or scissor sweep a 200lb'r...or even a 250lb'r.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

about 18 months ago I was dealign with your problems. I'm the exact same size as you, close to the same age, and have lots of big training partners.

#1 - don't concede bottom is correct. Fight from the top as much as you can. I'll stand right up if I need to.

Smaller guys who are new just pull into guard or drop back on the ground and I always ask them why they do that.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

One of the black belts showed me some sort of weird Keenan Cornelius lapel guard and I may be hooked.

In my first roll playing with it I got 3 sweeps and kept a guy who usually passes my open guard in about 30 seconds from passing at all.

Also holy poo poo my hand is sore and tired after holding onto the lapel all night.

Speaking of, how the hell do you shut down worm guard?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Speaking of worlds, looking forward to all the blue belt and purple belt matches. A lot of talent in those ranks.

ihop posted:

Every blue and purple on Earth is loving around with lapels right now.

In all fairness loving with the lapel was always a thing. I use it for setups from guard and even have one for a bow and arrow setup, but worm guard? It is like a loving plague.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was rolling with a white belt earlier who asked the head instructor when he would be promoted to Blue belt because he had almost been doing two years, he also asked if his six months at another school counted

Like, come on bro

We use kicksite at our gym and there are people now who can countdown to the day they get their next stripe.

UGH. Just loving train...

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Belts are not an indication of skill, physical ability, competition prowess etc. it's just a symbol of knowledge and time spent learning.

Bingo.

There are some 20 somethings in the gym that regularly kick my rear end, but they love to work with me because of the knowledge that I have gained that I am more than happy to share.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Danaher has said that to get better the majority of your training/rolls should be against people of lesser skill than you.

Im finding this is working well for me too. Blue belts are the best people to practice on, at least for me. I hit a rear triangle yesterday for the first time in sparring and felt pretty good. And just because they were lower ranked than me didn't mean it didn't present problems, it did, which I identified and worked through.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Danahers DVDs are great. I have been focusing on triangles and hit another rear one (ushiro) yesterday in sparring, but I lost position, and remembered what he said: if you lost the position for some reason, attack the arms. Got a nice Americana using the technique he showed. Really glad I bought that one.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

I love the ushiro strangle and hantei trimura. I hit them quite regularly.

"Hantai Trimura" AKA the Vinny Magalhaes Kimura

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

BJJ is my depression treatment. I don't care if I get tapped by a million white belts, I still feel better after training.

I can see it working in the other direction too honestly and I dont mean by being tapped because thats not always the measure of progress. But if you are just having a lovely day of not getting concepts and nothing is going well it can add to the feelings of things being a waste.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Ryan Halls school is nearby and I have heard it’s much more sport oriented rather than self defense but he charges like 400 bucks a month

You sure thats not for like two people or a family? Ive never heard of a place that is that expensive.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

Jean Jacques Machado charges close to $100 for a drop in.

TBH the quality of instruction from JJM is pretty f'ing amazing, as I have done one of his seminars. But $100? thats a bit steep.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I had a black belt today pop my knee (it literally went "pop") attempting to perform The Truck. There is an action of lifting the hips slightly that he didnt do and just yanked my leg over basically reaping it pretty bad. And then when I yelled tap, after a second he kept going! Im pretty pissed because honestly Im not sure how bad the damage is to my leg at this point :(

I dont think I ripped my mcl, but something happened.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I had the exact same thing happen last month.

Can you stand on it and move around, it just hurts like hell?

Should clear up in a week or two

I can stand and walk on it so I believe its just a small tear on one of the right side outer ligaments. I think it will heal on its own although I am going to see the doctor about it. I have video to show him how it happened since I was filming the technique.

Im just pissed that this particular black belt continues to hurt people (not just me) by not going slow or understanding that there are people that want to take it easy when drilling a technique.

JaySB posted:

Hopefully it's just a small tissue tear. That sucks man.

I believe it is.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I just recently went through the same scare and just wanted to give him some encouragement that it might not necessarily be a major injury

I appreciate it :)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jerome Louis posted:

Who was it? If it's one of the guys who has been there forever I think I know who it might be cus he's been doing stuff like that since we were white belts. Tall white dude that's like a cop or something like that?

Im not going to mention who, but it was someone who has been there for quite a long time.

Today I drilled basically the same move as the other day and took it very slow with a lower belt. Talked to one of my coaches (who has a masters in Kinesiology) and he said that I should take it light for at least a few weeks.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yikes, surprised you were already good to go. Even with my minor thing I still needed to take a few days of "ow gently caress this hurts" off

Didn't do warmups, took it super super slow with drilling, didn't roll.

Ill go in even if I have to sit on the sidelines and watch the instruction. Im a mat rat!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Congrats!!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

yeah but part of my weird lizard brain always wants to find it physically and use amazon as a last resort

Im the same way. Especially when it comes to anything I need for the gym for some weird reason.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah I once thought about driving to Philly to get a gi rather than ordering one online

Amazon doesnt have a very good selection of gi's anyway from what I noticed.

I recently ordered a Fuji Sekai and I think I found the perfect gi for me. The quality and fit is drat near perfect for me (A4). Plus I got it for $130 which is a bargain imo.

https://fujisports.com/collections/bjj/products/sekai-2-0-bjj-gi

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Your Jiu Jistu Gear on amazon is surprisingly good for training gis

They run like 50 bucks and hold up really well.

plus they are totally blank so you don't have to worry looking like a walking advertisement

I always worry about the quality when the gis are less than $100 :(

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spb posted:

that's fine since it's more organized, at least at the gyms i've been to. The shaking hands at the beginning is annoying because you're running around the room trying to shake everyone's hand.

My understanding is that if you were to go down to Brazil and not do this in a gym you haven't been to before, it's considered extremely rude.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

switching to entirely functional drills/movements for warm up.

We do this as well.

What are some of the functional movements you have your guys do out of curiosity?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

In John's class we do no warm up since that's your own responsibility. But for the morning gi class taught by Mike and assisted by me we do warm ups but we're going to make sure it all makes sense.
We haven't set the new warm up yet, but for example I replaced a second set of push ups with sprawls (technical sprawling not what a lot of school call a sprawl) and have also introduced sit outs to the class.

I would enjoy your class. I already do sprawls (although that is not part of the official warmup but sometimes I can get the other guys to do it with me). The sit outs are something I have struggled with and I wish it was part of our warmups.

edit: one of the best warmups I find is the hip flexor stretch. I find as I get older this has really been beneficial to me.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 19, 2019

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Someone put together a list of very solid tutorial's that mimic the information put out by Danaher:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/c35ehr/danahers_enter_the_system_on_the_cheap/

Nice! Thanks for sharing this.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

FiestaDePantalones posted:

So a thing happened today:

Well done!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Odddzy posted:

We should do a grappling goon meetup next time I go to NY. I'm thinking of Mecha, Yuns, Decades and Butros.

It would be cool if we could do a west coast edition too, but I know people are so spread out.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spb posted:

The butterfly is so cool, I really want to improve it over my journey. Like, when it hits correctly, it's my favorite pass. It's so graceful and deceptive in it's simplicity.

Butterfly is really cool. I play a lot of half guard but I am slowly trying to work on my butterfly too. Adam Wardzinski has a DVD series that covers it pretty well.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

I think in this day and age, especially if you're putting out material on the internet, you're gonna get called out real quick if you're not legit.

Agreed, except for IG videos. Some of the nogi stuff I see on there im like "yeah Im not sure about that".

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

Have to disagree. I had a guy just drop a ton of sweat from his head into my mouth on Wednesday and that was the absolute worst. It was so so much sweat. I'm nauseated just thinking about it.

There is always that one guy in every gym that has a waterfall of perspiration running from his head. Its gross.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

People being all grossed out about sweaty dudes in the hugging combat thread

Just dont drip my mouth brah

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

#1: Kimura trap - Butterfly hook sweep
#2: Underhook - switch trapped leg - dog fight - knee pick
#3: Kimura trap - when partner postures or gives space - helicopter sweep/rolling knee bar
#4: Underhook - roll under sweep when opponent drives us flat
#5: Electric Chair
#6: Half - Deep Half - Bump forward - Roll backwards if they base
#7: Octopus Half - Backtake or rolling sweep.
#8: Faria Sweep
#9: John Wayne Sweep
#10: Kimura Trap - Backtake (Lachlan Giles)

There's obviously proper names for most of these moves I just don't remember them. There's variations and follow ups on a bunch as well.

John Wayne sweep. The most underutilized sweep and one of the easiest.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Today I got to roll with a pretty gifted white belt. I guess there are people that come in that are just naturals and this guy is one of them. Or he is bullshitting me and has trained before somewhere else. His guard recovery was on point and he knew when he was pretty threatened with the over under/ over under brother pass I usually work. Even tried a logsplitter and that failed as well. Works on 99% of the white belts and most blue belts, but this guy? Nope. Even gave him the omoplata to see what he would do and he nailed it. Nice to see these people come through. You know they are going to make you better, even if he is a white belt.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The lead instructor and a 300lb purple belt calmed him down outside and our instructor was like "If you wanna start something, know there are forty guys in here willing to defend their teammate"

Yeah lesson is: Dont start poo poo inside (or outside for that matter) of a school where lessons are taught on how to kill or maim using your hands.

Idiot...

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Neon Belly posted:

His and Danaher's vids have so much to take in, it's a crazy amount of information.

And then you gotta put the time in to work on the mat that which you watched. I have all Danahers DVD's except the guard retention one and I'm still working on triangles. It'll probably be a while before I really start working on the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

Any interest in a OC/LA-based grappleGoon meetup? We could hit up an open mat, that would be fun.

What? no San Diego love?? J/K

I'd be down :D