Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I've been training 3 times a week now for a couple months (every second month I'm gone away for work so this is over four months span) and I find after a longer class I have some serious discomfort in my shoulders. I have been stretching them as best I can but it seems more in the ligaments than the muscles themselves if that makes sense.

Any tips for a newbie on how to keep a bit limber between rolls? Someone suggested a foam roller which I don't have yet but I'm hoping this is something that maybe I'll "grow out of" as I grapple more and get in better shape. Other than hobbling around like a sixty year old constantly the bjj has been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Seltzer posted:

Where is the discomfort? I'm wagering it's a shoulder cuff thing? That probably has less to do with bjj and more with what positions you're getting put into while sparring.

It's the shoulder cuff yeah it's probably from being balled up twenty times a night (I'm trash). Is there flexibility routines I can do to try and keep these limber? I'm pretty quick to tap so it isn't like I'm trying to Hercules out of any kimuras or anything like that.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I don't really see any problem with most of that stuff, particularly stuff from bottom. If someone in side control wants to impale themselves on your elbow while they are squatting you under their weight then go ham.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

JaySB posted:

We finally added a fundamentals class. I agree people jump right into becoming technique collectors and wanting to spar without getting the basics down.

I've also just recently found out I'm way better at no-gi than I am at gi.

We had a no-gi class tonight and a guy who usually frustrates me so much with spider guard got a few quick taps when I was able. Feels good

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I'm pretty new to the sport (6 months) and we've got a ufc guy in town for the week and I decided to take the plunge and get a private from him, and I must say although I was really nervous about my skill level going in it was the most rewarding experience I've had so far. He just drilled some fundamental moves and escapes with me in great detail and showed me some tricks and positioning that I had been missing before, and I feel like I gained so much from the 2 hours I had. So basically what I'm saying is if you are a newbie like myself and on the fence about getting a private because you feel like it'll be wasted on someone without great bjj knowledge ignore that inner doubt and go for it.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Once I'm gassed on the fourth or fifth roll and someone with 50lbs + gets me in side control and squashes unless I have good frames thats a tap. At a certain point my fitness level fails me and it's not productive for me to lie there and get crushed. I'm also a beginner and an old man who needs an uninjured body for work so I err on the side of safety.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Anyone have tips for practicing offensive handfighting from front headlock and/or back control? I watch some videos or read a book and buddy is like "just start in seat belt push buddy's hand this way and that way and kakow you have an RNC" and then in practice people grab my wrist and my arm gets stuck.

But then I watch Firas Zahabi rolling against a purple belt who is 70 lb bigger than him and he gets the RNC so smoothly that it's as if the guy wasn't even trying to defend. So obviously there's some kind of knowledge there. The problem I'm having is that the reps and practice I'm getting feel completely ineffective.

I'm a newbie but I just finished a seminar and a couple privates where we extensively covered a back attack system so maybe I've got some stuff that will be pertinent. I'll describe for choking with left arm and seatbelt with right.

First thing he covered was tightening your seatbelt so his elbow is flared up. Sort of a rowing motion to bring his arms up more, this will limit his strength in fighting you. You'll face 2 on 1 against your choking arm against someone defending your RNC so the first hand you want to get rid of is his right hand. The key for this for me was rotating your right wrist up and over his right hand, grabbing him by the "meat" of his hand (the area between the base pinkie knuckle and wrist). You gain alot of leverage against him with this grip and should be able to straighten your right arm and get that hand out of the way.

From here you either can finish the choke, as his left arm is usually higher up your arm and he doesnt have the leverage to fight it off, or you have to isolate that left arm. Easiest way to do that was to let him "win" the battle and straighten your choking arm too, this will give you the angle you need to get your left foot up over his left arm and tuck the top of your foot in the base of his back. This will leave him totally open with no where to go but slide downwards in your hooks. If he tries to escape like this just switch to a kimura grip on his right arm and triangle him.

I'm not sure if this makes alot of sense typed out but it's what we covered starting in seatbelt in particular. He showed us alot of fancy stuff to cover when someone rolls either way on you as well but this was the poo poo that me, as a newbie took the most out of really.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Can you break his grips? If he's that tight to you you should be able to 2 on 1 an arm and clamp guard him or something like that to get the offense going.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

If you don't want to compete then it doesn't matter what belt you wear really.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

White belt, got two stripes last time I was home. Been training a year but go away for work month on month off so 6 months mat time.

When I'm home go four times a week and try to go somewhere for a seminar at least once. Doubtful if I will ever get colors the way we have to do it with a visiting instructor from our instructors home gym due to scheduling but that's alright with me.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Is there a sweep that you guys find effective for breaking the stale mate of someone sitting in your guard with good posture and just sort of doing nothing? I had a five minute roll with a guy who did this and couldn't off base him or get any offense going and I couldn't land a scissor or flower because he just sort of sat back on his haunches.

I'm bad too so maybe execution is the problem.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Sleep is alot what you're used to. At sea I get between three and five hours a day broken into two segments and feel fine.. On the month home it's 8 or bust after the first few nights though.

Had anyone gone to physio for soreness in their rotator cuffs? I've been trying a few weight exercises to build strength in the region but every couple of weeks I won't be able to buckle up my seat belt. Worked wonders for my knees but my old man arms are giving out now.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I found Ryan Hall dvd's awesome for explaining and breaking down stuff, it was a while before my body would cooperate with my brain on alot of it but I'm old and not athletic.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

I had to take another basically 2 weeks off, or just rolling/drilling very light and holy poo poo my stamina was gone. I also dropped ~10lbs from being a lazy gently caress after surgery and when I rolled with the new guys who I could destroy 2 weeks ago I was just getting dominated last night. Really goes to show how bad even a little break can be.

I can only train every second month and it's so depressing to play catch up with everyone all the time.

In the same vein I've been doing some off mat activity to try and reduce the physical aspect of not rolling for so long . My cardio routine seems pretty good but for lifting I've just been doing a regular body building routine (three day split). As a hobbyist does it make much a difference what sort of weight lifting im doing? I've had some of the higher belts give me some negative opinions but this routine is pretty simple, works with the gear I can access, and makes me sore so I figure it was ok.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Honestly there are so many full body workouts you can do on the mat, I personally think the weight training is a bit overrated in terms of improving your BJJ game.

I don't bother when I can train four or five times a week but when I'm away I'm basically limited to either cardio machines or weights by nature of the living arrangement.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Count Roland posted:

There's also ways to force your hand under his chin. One method I saw was to use your... uh, the set of knuckles one up from the punching knuckles. The tips of your fingers fold in, and your hand is flat, forming a sort of blade. You can start by digging your thumb into his jaw/neck to get his head to turn, then gradually force your hand under. You can extend your fingers once your under the chin. There will come a point where you can force it through, do this all at once, quickly.

During a back attack seminar the instructor likened working those knuckles through like you were starting the ignition in your car and that has worked well for me to try and get past the chubby chin defense. Once I'm through there thing fingers can get me deep enough for the rnc or just go palm to palm and be mean

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Got a chance to hit up a seminar by Jake Mackenzie recently, some really nice Gi stuff. For some reason the seminars relatively close and workable for me have been all nogi stuff so it was pretty nice to get a weekend focus in the Gi.

He showed this nifty shoulder lock from guard/butterfly where you sort of scoop their underhook just above their elbow and grip cross collar and it's brutally tight. Can't wait to get back home to class and fail to execute it for weeks.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have to keep biting my tongue because this one blue belt has taped his fingers for an injury wrong but I feel like I don't have the position to tell him how he should do it

I got my hand caught under my own body four weeks ago and still can't bend my middle finger more than half of the way. I would have loved some taping tips when it first happened.

Do you guys use online or is there a healthcare provider that would give the best info on injury taping for a hand? (I thought maybe physio?)

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Yuns posted:

Uh, don't take this the wrong way, but you've literally never seen a Sao Paulo pass before? This is a Sao Paulo pass which also has many variations such as the Chimpass. It's a well known and well regarded pressure pass.

We did a variation of this at a Jake Mackenzie seminar where you hook the bottom guys leg with yours to clear half guard nice to learn the name.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Grace Baiting posted:

I too had never learned the name São Paulo or Tozi pass (in my notes from years ago I learned it without a name and just called it "underhook pass"), so it's good to know what it's actually named! Was Mackenzie's leg hooking variation like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLYOZYeY9IM
I originally learned this pass to include stapling their calf to the ground with your shin, then windshield-wipering your other foot over to complete the pass, but I like the looks of that ankle hook drag.

You almost discovered the over-under pass though!

That's the one we did. From the bottom position he did alot of Frank Mir arm lock stuff when the top dude is digging for that underhook so it's created alot of interesting battles between the guys who attended.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

heeebrew posted:

I'm always one of 3 or 4 lower belts in the advanced class which is usually 15-30 guys purple and above. Every day I get smashed. Once in a while I pull off a cool sweep and sensei sees and that's enough validation for me.

I usually try to roll with higher belts or equal partners for 3/4 of my rolls and then roll with relative newbies to dial in whatever sub I've been focusing on. I used to neglect seeking out newer or worse people but I found my offensive game has really taken off since I've intentionally seeked them out to practice that way

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I ordered a pair off bc kimono online and they sent the wrong size and wrong size spats. They just sent me the right ones when I let them know and it all is stretchy and poo poo so big time bonus for me.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

ihop posted:

I think my favorite is securing the grip from top-half, rolling off the top into the t-kimura position. Opponent gets all excited that you just gave up top position and 100% of the time will try to sit up and take top side control. Use the grip to keep them from fully getting up, swing legs over to back take/crucifix/inverted triangle/armbar/whatever. Purple belts and below will follow this pattern every single time. Even if I just did it to them and explained why it worked, they'll still try and sit up. The alternative to sitting up is just stay on their back, so just keep the grip and climb on top to the traditional side-control Kimura position.

If they stay lying down there try a head scissors to get them to relieve pressure with the free arm, you can stomp in their armpit and lock in a nasty reverse triangle which you can finish if they link arms, if they relieve pressure on the triangle you can straight armbar them or sit on their head for the traditional kimura finish.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

ihop posted:

Yeah the inverted triangle is one of my stronger sub positions. I don't go for the scissor choke since judo disallows it. I actually have a tough time finishing the triangle but there's a silly kimura finish on the triangled arm that works very well for me.

I swap off the kimura grip and punch through with my hand so I can base out and extend the straight leg, it's been the key for me to get it tight enough but it sends people gurgling.

Problem is I like that position so much everyone is wise to it and goes wild sitting up and turning in, my back take from that position is relatively poo poo.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

ihop posted:

I think I get what you're saying. Like if I had the guy's left arm kimura'd, right arm triangled I'd punch my right arm through the kimura hole, get up in my left elbow/hand and straighten my left leg and send it deep?

I'll give that a try. I figure my issue is with the bottom leg, not the top. I never spent too much time troubleshooting since there's so many options from there.

That's exactly it the bottom leg has to be extended further and to keep kimura control you punch yourself in the chest basically. Once it's tight you can swap back.

I love that position and the super tight triangle will make all the other finishes easier when they have to fight that off. Usually I just finish the triangle though

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

That's an awesome tidbit... We did alot with Jake Mackenzie on that sort of shoulder control and breaking that bit of "shoulder posture" you're talking about and it helps so much in keeping control of the kimura.

What butterfly sweep do you like from bottom half kimura grip? I am looking to add some more options besides the spin or shuck

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I alternate between feeling like an unstoppable juggernaut and a weak kitten roll to roll even.

We had a seminar the weekend all about clinch handfighting and sweep single legs (nogi). Pretty neat to learn that in this Renzo black belts mind we've been doing singles wrong all along (the sweep brings you almost right at their side when you trap the leg).

Showed us this pretty neat two on one control for the collar tie arm that is going to really help set up takedowns, just an overbook on the clinching arm with the same side arm and tricep grab with the opposite arm, creates that shoulder lock tension when its all tight no trouble to lead him where you want. This is a UFC guy and he's all about adapting wrestling for bjj (as you can probably guess he's pretty into the practical side of it all).

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Count Roland posted:

Guys do you like seminars?

The one's I've been to have been interesting, but ultimately have seemed like a regular class just so crowded there's barely any mat space. Nothing I've learned in seminar has made it into my regular game (just like most stuff I drill day to day).

And yet they're very popular. Do you guys attend?

Our club has a brown belt as the main instructor and a bunch of purples that keep it going (small town BJJ) so we try and have a seminar every couple of months for a weekend. It gives us all an opportunity for some intimate training with a great black belt and gives our instructor squad some excellent conceptual stuff to develop a learning/training plan for the next couple of months. Most recent was a Renzo bb coming for a no gi seminar just on the single leg and it really opened my eyes to alot of the small fundamental building blocks for even getting to the single leg position (handfighting in particular was very detailed).

Overall I love them and usually manage to snag a private at the same time.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Does anyone have any advice for escaping crucifix besides don't let them get there in the first place? I've been sort of rotating towards my trapped arm and trying to snag a triangle or at least some sort of leverage with my feet and their arms head shoulder area but nothing that I could work as a standard "escape".

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Throwing down in a 20x8 container I like it

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Here I've been getting mad thicc just eating 5000 calories a day and throwing around this heft.. Soon my belly on knee will be a real threat..

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Yuns posted:

Some extremely well executed BJJ:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5nh4z1ph7Z/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Nothing is super exotic when you break it down:

The sweep; the sit back; the rolling back take; the transition from back to armbar are all individually well known and common but it's all executed in such a wonderfully flowing manner.

Yuns the rolling back take, it doesn't look like from what I can see he has the hook before he rolls? Or am I missing some detail, it's a really neat looking move.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The near leg to near leg hook is what I was missing.. I will have to find a breakdown of rolling back takes and ask professor to work it next class, thanks for the details.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Any half guard players got an a / b they'd like to share? I've been having some great success with knee shield half guard really keeping them off balance with the pull push but my a / b is weak I think. Go to is coyote-underhook/base up and sit up sweep if I can get a hold of their free leg to collapse them in. Otherwise I'm trying to off balance them and grab kimura control on the opposite arm to my knee shield and roll out to either take the back or end up in kimura control.

Finding it difficult sometimes to get either of these going and end up just getting stalled or waiting for my opportunity to close the guard fully but it's not feeling that good.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Ive been avoiding the underhook because everyone's horny for darce at my club, but maybe that's an execution problem on my end. I liked the octopus stuff though thanks for the link. Gonna dig a bit deeper into the suggestions above too and study the position a bit deeper I think.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I'm having a lot of trouble with pre roll nutrition. I find theres a limited window where I can eat and a load of poo poo repeats on me (I've never had this issue with other sports so maybe its a function of your guts being squat up and poo poo too?). This morning before early no gi I just scarfed down a bannana and I honestly thought I was going to throw up after a few 5 minute rounds. Anyone have a go for a snack or use protein powder or anything like that for sustenance while training?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

We have a eleven no Gi weekends so I find it's a tough time to fast or eat honestly. Might try smoothy next time, it's two hour class as well so it's tough.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

My club is all mandible and short chokes. There's a variation becoming popular where you take your seatbelt arm and do a sort of s grip tuck behind their shoulder blade and short choke that if they get the grip I haven't been able to stop yet the leverage is too great

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

JaySB posted:

Frame choke?

Not sure the name, googled frame choke doesn't seem but maybe. It's alot of power on the choking arm tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah that's it exactly. Is there anything I can do once they get the palm to palm? I've got decent (for me) defense against whites and blues except when they manage to link palms. Only thing I've found has any success is trying to burst out a bit as they let go the seatbelt but even turning quite a bit doesn't work well.