Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Reggae while grappling supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
If you have a Judo gi, that will be just fine. Also, mouth guards are really a 'what works best for you' kind of deal in my opinion. I will recommend not getting the top and bottom style, breathing with those things sucks.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

J Wiggle posted:

I just started taking BJJ, I go to my 4th class tonight. Some questions:

Any tips on not getting triangled or armbarred when in a guy's guard? Anytime I try to grab him and push him down to start a guard pass I get my arm taken, I'm bigger and stronger than most of these guys so I can fight it a bit but eventually I get triangled or armbarred. I'm trying to posture up but my long arms are such an easy target.

Is it worth my time to fight close submissions? I am able to get out triangles and guillotines if I try but this expends alot of energy, am I better off tapping early and moving on?

The answer to this and 95% of "What do I do in xx situation?" is, you are going to be destroyed by guys for a long time, so don't sweat it. There are a lot of answers to that specific question and it's hard to explain it here. Listen to the guys at your gym and just train more. Also, tap as soon as you feel uncomfortable. Tap often. There is absolutely no shame in doing so. When I was a white belt I used to joke that I had tapping calluses on my hand. :)

AZCollins fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 1, 2011

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
75 per month for unlimited training, but I get 25 bucks knocked off because I teach a beginner's class.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

BlindSite posted:

I tend to agree with this because even against other white belts I can be incredibly lazy and take a breather while they mount and then I work my way back to guard and look for something like a sweep or a sub. I don't like Rules that don't allow me to be lazy. The BJ Penn method owns.

You seriously do this in tournaments?

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Any of you guys use mats at home? I'm doing research on getting one.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Holy moly, I just found this:

http://stores.ebay.com/Dollamur-Wrestling-Mats/Super-Value-/_i.html?_fsub=14&_sid=240800595&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

You don't get to choose the color but the price is awesome for an 8'x6' area of brand new mats. These flex-roll dollamur mats are what they use in my gym. They're pretty nice.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

dokomoy posted:

I got my purple last night from Jean Jacques Machado.

Wow man! Congratulations! That's fantastic. :)

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
I love love love my Vulcan ultralight.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Find a buddy, buy some home mats and drill. :)

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
You can use your judo gi, the gold weave is just lighter than the double weave. My very first gi was an atama gold weave and the jacket is still going strong. The pants lasted about 2 years.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Galvao looked gigantic.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Joe Rogan talks someone into starting to train BJJ... sorta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_Tp7LP6ciU0

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

dokomoy posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap board shorts? I picked up rashguards at target for about half of what Jiu Jitsu ones go for and was hoping to do the same with shorts.

I got 2 pairs of boardshorts at Nordstrom Rack for 15 dollars a pair 5 winters ago. They're still my main grappling shorts today.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Thanks for calling me an idiot, dick!

I was down in points in a bjj tournament by ELEVEN. After scrambling, I flying armbarred to win with 15 seconds left.

Really though, if a technique is legal, who are you to decide whether it's 'okay' to perform it or not? What does the size of the tournament matter? Ugh, guys like you are why I am not a super huge fan of going to traditional judo places to train. I don't mean to overgeneralize, but I've trained at a LOT of Judo places and poo poo like this is pretty common. Do you also think that guillotines are for monkeys? Because I've heard that one too.

Edit: Oh and good job feeling good about almost knocking a dude out.

AZCollins fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 7, 2011

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Okay, so would he have been an uncoordinated spaztard if the technique worked? Are you also saying it's not a legit technique because it's, 'designed to break limbs,' seriously?

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

Acinonyx posted:

How is reading so hard for you?

Apparently I'm not communicating my point well enough.

Teach me wise one, what techniques are competitors allowed to use at grappling tournaments? Or better yet, give me a list of 'spaztard nonsense,' so I can help spread the word to avoid offending your delicate sensibilities.

The bottom line is, you can't decide whether a technique works for someone or not, no matter what you believe the fail rate to be. Everyone's different. Calling something 'brutish' and saying 'people are idiots who use this technique' is just loving ignorant.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

Acinonyx posted:

Dude, you fail so hard at reading you do not appear to be able to distinguish between the people pointing out what an idiot you are. Please point out anything in my post about delicate sensibilities or brutishness. Please.
My point continues to be that people going for high risk moves that they can't properly execute is a bad thing. By all means, please continue to tell us about the time you won the kumate with a flying heal hook to prove that idiots with no skill should be doing the same.

I totally did that. Twice.

Maybe you can't read my posts. I'm saying there is no way for YOU to know what OTHER PEOPLE can execute and that you shouldn't assume things about people who aren't you. Making BLANKET statements about the effectiveness of ANY specific technique is just ignorant. That is the only point I've been trying to make. I'm not saying you can't have an opinion, but dealing in absolutes is just flat out incorrect. However, feel free to get mad and just keep calling me stupid if it makes you feel better on the internet.

ANYWAY, sorry to derail, has anyone ever seen the Ciao Terra DVDs?

AZCollins fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 8, 2011

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

Dante posted:

this is dumb and wrong and certain techniques being more high-percentage is tautologically true in every sport please stop this nonsense

This is totally correct. Let me rephrase.

This was said:
"Most people in non-advanced divisions trying flying techniques have little to no chance of hitting them." That's an opinion. My point was, there's a time and place for every technique, there are different skill levels between individuals, and that just because it's high-risk, it shouldn't be eliminated from consideration. It's not 'spaztard nonsense.' There are too many factors. Sorry if I didn't communicate that well enough.

This was also said, "One of the guys I fought at a promotional was nearly knocked out cold attempting a flying armbar on me (a technique, while not expressly forbidden, is highly frowned upon due to the utter idiocy of nearly everyone who attempts them). Wasn't even a large enough tournament to need to do such crazy antics." This is calling "nearly everyone who attempts a flying armbar an idiot." Do you guys agree?

AZCollins fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 8, 2011

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

The problem is it's high risk for no point at all. Just two pages ago there was a video of someone breaking their opponent's leg or something ridiculous like that when they went for a flying armbar. I'm not a fan of saying to a white belt 'I trust you are skilled enough to not injure yourself or me while flying through the air attempting to latch onto one of my arms'.

It's cool you won by flying armbar or whatever but honestly what if your opponent simply spiked you headfirst onto the mat if you went for it? What's the loving point?

Yeah, and that person sucks at flying armbars and shouldn't do them in a tournament. It is high risk and can be detrimental. It's a technique though, a technique you practice and can get good at if you really wanted to. I'm not advocating telling people to do something they've never or rarely practiced if they have better techniques to do. I'm also not saying there aren't better things to drill.

In my case I was lucky as hell and I know it. There are guys that flying armbar people, even at the top level. Jacare and Aoki used to do it quite a bit. Is it high risk? Heck yes. Should people constantly do them? Of course not, but there's a time and a place and it works for some INDIVIDUAL people.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Well, Vinny Magalhaes did it twice at ADCC in 2009, in the same tournament. Here's some highlight video for Jacare showing him doing it a bunch (gi and no gi), even mixing in flying triangles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5WD36oHTnU

Aoki's nickname is Tobikan Judan, which I think means flying submission master. There are lots of grappling videos floating around of his.

Now these are obviously top level guys, who have obviously practiced doing this technique a lot.

Edit: I forgot how badass that Jacare video is.

AZCollins fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 8, 2011

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

origami posted:

how many high level judokas throw flying arm bars or triangles?

I have no idea. Why does that matter?

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Because this entire discussion started with talking about judo, not BJJ.

The people who've actually responded were just bashing the flying armbar as a useless technique. I can't comment on competition Judo, nor did I ever try to. Even the video you talked about was a BJJ match.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Well, in my specific instance, I was down on points, I had no time, the dude was a better wrestler than me, and I went for the only hail mary I could think of. It was something I had practiced some, I was about to lose, so eff it. I tried.

My point is, it's a technique. A technique can and will work differently when done by different people with different skill levels and under different circumstances. The negatives involved in my opinion, do not make it completely useless, nor do I think anyone should make that decision for other people. That goes for any technique really. The only useless techniques I can think of are ones that are banned, because doing them gets you DQed.

I fully respect your right never to use the flying armbar or whatever other technique you don't think works.

Sorry for the huge derail.

AZCollins fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 8, 2011

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

Xguard86 posted:

so it is a stall position. You lied to me Ryan hall you LIED!

What's funny is seeing two guys who are good at it go back and forth. Sweep! Sweep! Sweep! Sweep!

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

The Sphinxster posted:

Can anyone recommend a BJJ studio in the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix, AZ)?

Here's another question-- I've had MRSA, should I not grapple? That should have been first.

What part of Phoenix do you live in?

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
I've been training about 6 years at the same place. I love the guys I train with at Strong Heart BJJ, but we're in North Phoenix (a bit of a drive). The site is http://strongheartacademy.com. You could also check out gdjiujitsu.com for Gustavo Dantes' place. He just recently split from AZ Combat Sports and is located in Tempe. The grappling community here is pretty chill, no huge rivalries or anything. I know there are some decent places in Chandler/Gilbert too, but I don't know of any off the top of my head.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Another vote for volleyball kneepads. They're cheap and I found the fit a bit better for my tree-trunk short legs.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Mine aren't super SUPER high profile, and I can't think of a time where people grabbed them with any effect while rolling. I can see the gi pant thing being a problem if they are a snug fit to begin with. But then again, I'm a stocky dude and wear a size bigger in gis than I should for my height/weight.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
How did you guys do this weekend at the pan ams? I didn't go this year. :(

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
I went to the "Official IBJJF ref training class." It was incredibly convoluted, nonsensical, and the instructors couldn't agree on some of the answers to asked questions. It's seriously a joke. My first pan am, one ref was eating a slice of pizza during a match. Seriously.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
I always wear a mouthguard while rolling, but usually not while drilling. I've chipped a few teeth due to 'accidents' or a new guy in his flailing stage.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Caio Terra is awesome. He's so young and has been taking a lot of tournaments. He also happens to be one of the nicest guys I've met.

Here's his match with Jeff Glover. It's super super entertaining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7eixxm5CLI

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Purple, heavy. Let's do this.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

Bohemian Nights posted:

No, I think it'll be fine. I tapped to the heelhook the instant I could feel the mixed feeling of paper ripping and this rippling popping feeling. I was limping from saturday to yesterday, but I iced, tiger balsamed and put on a tight neoprene knee supporter immediately afterwards, and I think that helped. I can walk pretty much pain free now, so I'm hoping for a couple of weeks.

*shudder* Are you going to go to the Dr? Nothing worse than thinking you're good, starting to train again and then one weird slip your knee moves how it shouldn't.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

huh posted:

Can anyone name the move that Chael does at :51 in this video?

Dan Henderson calls that move, 'Wrestling.'

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Wrist locks are like anything else. They work in certain situations, but I'd say they are a bit more useful in the gi. Almost every time I've been wrist locked it's been because of a grip I had on another person's jacket.

I don't find darker gis to retain more heat. I doubt it makes any difference unless you were training in the sun.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

fatherdog posted:

So apparently Dean Lister heelhooked Cyborg Abreu 8 minutes into their superfight match on Saturday. Lister is tearing it up lately.

Lister is awesome. It just seems like every time he's on a streak, he suddenly gets lazy and does nothing for a year or two.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Metamoris picks: I got Glover (but rooting for Caio), Kron, Galvao, Lavato, Xande, Roger, but would not be surprised if Buchecha or Lister win.

Here's the livesteam (20 bucks)

http://metamoris.com/live-stream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Nice! I love Caio Terra.