Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

westcoaster posted:

Don't they have female divisions?

I wonder if I'll have to grapple a girl at the 215lbs weight class. I had to box a girl once and it wasn't alot of fun.

They do in some states but in most there aren't enough women to make them have their own divisions. I think Hawaii and Texas have women's divisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

To illustrate the other side of things, if you are awkward, gangly, unathletic, and a poor visual learner like I am and do to things like work and moving can't get to the gym often, you could study BJJ for 5 years and be barely a 2 stripe white belt like me.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Rids! posted:

How does one compete as a purple belt one day then compete as a blue at the next competition? How is this not sandbagging?

Sandbagging isn't illegal. You can always compete up unless there are specific restrictions on it.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

colonel_korn posted:

I guess this isn't new but I just saw on Facebook... drat. Always amazes me how good really young kids can be at this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQnsQSRVZno

Rolling with 13 year old kids who just got out of the kids class is the worst because you know when they get bigger from puberty and they become more coordinated they are just going to kick your rear end eventually. They are also so fast it is scary lots of the time.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

$100 for unlimited BJJ, JJJ, Judo, and free grappling on Saturdays. Classes are every day that is not Sunday.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

fatherdog posted:

Beat people? Yes. Beat other guys who are the best at their weight in the world, training no-gi grappling full-time? No.

Pretty much everybody who's elite at no-gi trains in the gi and says it helps them. If you want to believe they're all wrong or that it's a big conspiracy, that's your right as a human being, but don't delude yourself into thinking your position is equally reasonable or supported.

For reference, even Koscheck has said that they train in the gi at AKA. This is a guy who has been wrestling since he was literally in the womb, but trains in the gi because it makes him a more technical submission wrestler. Training in the gi is a good way to get good at BJJ and submission wrestling, not just for the gi, but in general.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Mardragon posted:

Also they are using the same logic differently in the same weight class, if current record is more important than past performance then the seeding should be Robles, Nicholson, McDonough, Precin. But it seems like they are using half record and half performance in selective cases within that weight to set up a possible outcome that ESPN would eat up.

Given how few people outside the wrestling community care about the sport a little fan-friendly exposure is not a bad thing, especially when we're talking about 4 essentially equal guys at the top having their seeding just messed with a bit.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Grifter posted:

How tall is your typical 125er? I can only imagine them as micro-dudes.

If Benavidez is only 5'3" I imagine you are correct. Although I would love to see Corey Hill drop another 30 lbs.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

Whats the word on de la riva and the potential for knee injuries? I've always been a little hesitant about using it because it seems like a great way to hurt myself.

I hear its fine, but if knees are a worry just start by trying to go for the deep de la riva, which alleviates a bunch of the worries by making the other guys' knee be the one pressured. I'm just not big on it because my guard control isn't that good yet.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

I am assuming you are smart enough to mean this as sarcasm.

Joe Doerkson was allowed to fight in a small Canadian promotion for a fight that was scheduled before he got the call to fight Lawlor. He had to win to stay in the UFC, but since he did they let him stay. I think Zuffa gets it as long as there is no cross-promotion.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

fatherdog posted:

Whups -

Gahhh they didn't want to talk about it at the DLR seminar I was at the other week but dammit he is so good I want to see super fight NOW!

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

this is also grappling specific, whereas the other thread is for pretty much anything generally related to MAs. Ironically, we pretty much have the same posters because there are either very few non-grapplers posting here, or they have been run off by our grappler's alliance.

I just imagine Ashida Kim hiding in the corner, too intimidated to post...

Edit: I hate how Garcia's reaction to Hall's extremely lethal half guard is just to pass like it is nothing. I know he is an amazing grappler, but it shouldn't be that easy. He really is incredible.

the yellow dart fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 26, 2011

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

niethan posted:

Critique obviously welcome, else I wouldn't post this poo poo here.

Get a better cameraman? Also "hold your foot" is still retarded sounding in German

Edit: I forgot to say great job on winning a match :)

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Chemtrail Clem posted:

He should actually continue doing this until he disappears entirely, and hopefully all the internet nerd "Aint no bitch! its the 2 - 0 -9!!! I love weed ha ha!" rapping granny guys will also shut up and fade away sort of like the Fedor guys did

Nick Diaz is far more entertaining than Fedor because his failures are just as immense as his successes. Any man who can make Nate Diaz look like a reasonable and well-adjusted human being can be nothing but comedy, for better or worse.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

Does anyone here do sandbag training as a form of conditioning? I'm thinking of buying a duffel bag at the surplus store and some builder sand to make my own. I think it would be awesome for grip and that the type of strength and conditionning it would build would be great to complement my regular resistance training for judo and bjj.

If anyone else does it, do you have a list of exercises that would be great? Or even better a link to a video of a routine that works great for you if you took it from youtube?

Turkish getups with a sandbag are...fun. Try these along with doing 400-800m of running for a quick 20m workout. Something like 20 TGU, 400m sprint, 15 TGU, 400m sprint, 10 TGU, 400m sprint, 5 TGU, 800m sprint. There is other stuff you can do but this is a quick and easy conditioning workout.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

I think he is saying run then lift then run. Farmer carriers are good too: just pick up the bag and walk it however many feet you want. Don't run just carry it in your arms.

Yes don't run with the bag, do the get ups, put bag down, then run. Farmer's carries are great with sandbags also, along with any variety of squat, clean, weighted crunches, etc.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Neon Belly posted:

It's kind of wild to see all the gyms that just don't seem concerned and still hosting training sessions.

Please remember that the middle portion of a Venn diagram between 9/11 truthers and grapplers is substantial.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

I'm doing daily tabata bodyweight tabata workouts. If you do enough squats/burpees/pushups/plyometrics you'll maintain your cardio. I also run 2x a week. One day when i can order a kettlebell with any speed I'll add that to the routine.

I miss grappling though :smith:

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Mekchu posted:

Its not "like" rationalizing with a child, it is trying to rationalize with a child. These people are literally too stupid to realize they've not developed the ability to make an argument past the 4th grade.

I keep bringing it back in my mind to how many serious BJJ people I've met who are 9/11 skeptics, moon landing deniers, etc. There is something about the sport that attracts an extremist mindset of people who want to be different so badly they'll rationalize away anything that doesn't fit their myopic worldview. One gym owner I met when I lived in FL was posting about how now we should just reduce all speed limits to 25 mph because any harm is dangerous and that's all that people want now with COVID-19! Or that why can't a gym be open if Walmart is?

Literally crazy.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

ihop posted:

Yeah this isn't an ignorant black belt thing, its just an (mostly) American thing.

*looks at Brazilian black belts fanboying over Bolsonaro on the daily*

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

So uhmm it seems like people are looking to the lifeboats with all this forum drama.

I don't know much of the details but seeing a lot of discords popping up.

What is happening? I guess I missed something?

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

Lowtax hit (another?) woman. Idk exactly I've seen two other threads I follow post discords and there's a thread in gbs.

I'm not sure if it's the effect on the crowd funding keeping sa afloat and the site goes offline or people not wanting to support lowtax and just leaving.

:psypop:

i guess that's what happens when you ignore the existence of GBS

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Xand_Man posted:

Try to relax as much as possible. Everyone tenses up at first because that's a normal human response to somebody trying to choke you. Problem is you'll have like 2 minutes of wild adrenaline where you learn nothing and then you will gas out and crash hard. Most people aren't assholes [INSERT COVID COMMENTARY HERE] and they won't go all out to tap a white belt.

Can't emphasize this enough. We're similar in size, and as a purple belt if we roll I'm going to mostly just make you work on escaping different positions as I do light passes. If you start spazzing out and doing things like an open hand choke on my neck, or just squeezing my ribcage with your legs while I'm in your guard in some sort of attempt at causing pain, the faux-murder switch in my brain is going to come on. Just relax, do what the higher belts tell you, and try and learn something. You are bad. We are all bad. But the only way to get better is to listen and chill.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Waroduce posted:

i like to smash pass, what are good high percentage simple white belt fundamental submissions i can try?

My general flow is if from standing single leg entry

or

from knees

let them play butterfly or dick around with their legs and try to get both knees on one side of my body, sprawl to flatten and try to capture an arm without getting kimured (if i get kimura gripped, slide to north south since no block on hip), figure 4 legs or bodylock and climb to side control/mount

now what?

I can occasionally hit a marcellotine from north south, but i'm looking for something i can hit quick and easy from my smash pass to side control or just good submissions from side control. I usually just play with the far arm and go for armbar, kimura, americana trifecta.

I feel like i'm so much worse from knees than i am standing because I can like chain wrestle into a pretty solid side control position, i'm just terrible at finishing anything.

One of the best subs from side control is the breadcutter/papercutter choke. This is an example from Xande: https://bjj-tips.com/xande-ribeiro-shows-paper-cutter-choke/.

Super easy to set-up, with applicability even at high levels, and provides a series of options if you have to bail on the initial choke. Also makes for a good distraction if you want to try to move to mount and need to occupy your opponents' hands. You can even do it no-gi by gripping under the shoulder, although it isn't quite as easy in that instance.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Count Roland posted:

This is my trigger. I'll aggressively pull down just to get them to posture up with extra force.

Good guys will always be keeping you down, against them you can grab an arm and push it aside our nice your torso side to side to avoid the frames.

This is why the hip-bump sweep variant mentioned on the last page, where you drag their arm across you, is so valuable. You're taking away the option of them posting and framing, especially if you can effectively shift which hand you are holding theirs with. If they do anything to regain control of that arm that isn't some version of "slowly drag elbow across your torso" you have an opportunity to use their momentum against them. And if they don't do anything, you take their back. Win-win-win-win.

Also this is the one I use the most that isn't just a speed hip-bump sweep where I have no control over anything but get the timing right and then they just get mad.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Had a white belt clinch his fist at me from mount the other day, like he was ready to unload. I dont know how I feel about this. On the one hand I was thinking: "dude if you fire that, I am loving you up" and on the other hand I was thinking "this dude must have some deeply rooted ego issues that he is bringing on the mat and I am probably not the first one to see this behavior". I caught him the other day putting another white belt to sleep via a choke and then get up with a grin on his face. I am not a big fan of this poo poo and usually drop the hammer pretty quickly on dudes like this but I have been trying to work with him, understand where he is coming from and just try to be nice to him to understand his background and mindset.

Just wondering if anyone else deals with this and how you go about approaching it.

When you see them cross the line next time, you'll know what to do :crackping:

I would have put him in belly down time-out and whisper in their ear not to ever do it again to me or anyone else if someone balled their fist at me in BJJ. Oddly enough when I first started doing Army combatives I was training with a friend in college. I mounted him one day and he straight-up slapped the poo poo out of me out of some weird reflex. This guy sounds crazy though.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

spb posted:

What's everyone's favorite submission? IE, if you were on a desert island this is the submission you would bring with you.

loop choke :gritin:

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Quick question for you guys: Is a belt grab used like a lapel grab (think worm guard) IBJJF legal in tournaments? I know you can grab the belt in the back or from like knee on belly. Wondering if you can do the same thing with the loose end of the belt? Is that allowed in IBJJF competition?

I don't know, but if you want something funny to occupy your time in training you can use it in a modified spider guard. Its only slightly effective, but does have the hilarious consequence of making it very difficult for your opponent to breath because you're tightening their belt every time you extend.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

i completely suck, but i'm stoked to get advice. is their a video you could recommend for the underhook sweep series before i just google it and click whatever?

Step 1: Get underhook
Step 2: Push them over
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Profit
Step 5: If they take the overhook on your arm, take them back the other way

If you use kimuras that are poorly set up from half guard, someone with a little knowledge on top will just kimura you back, but with more leverage. It shouldn't be your plan A most of the time because you won't have the angle/leverage most of the time.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Basically you start with a knee shield, you use the knee shield to open up enough space that you can sit up to an underhook and start smashing them over, like a single leg on the ground. When they resist that they become vulnerable to a rollunder sweep, and when they resist the rollunder sweep they become vulnerable to a backtake. It’s really effective but there are lots of niggling little details that make it work so you want to find a good source on it.

This is a much better way of describing the thing I was trying to describe.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

starkebn posted:

I felt really fatigued and sloppy at class tonight, so of course I got called out by all the black belts and brown belts to roll.

Congrats mang!

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Jerome Louis posted:

I agree somewhat with your points, but there's a grey area where you can disentangle the lockdown and go to pass and they can go to re-lock back up as you pass, resulting in just cranking on your knee in a weird position. But by doing this they are not doing anything other than cranking on your knee and hoping you make a mistake to get a sweep. There's no actively going for anything other than just holding on.

Which is why I think lockdown is not a great position unless used quickly for specific purposes like to generate off-balancing if your opponent doesn't have strong underhooks.

If you lock up their hips the way Giles is showing in the previous video, you shouldn't have any issues. I tend to go slightly lower than him for the lock (easier because I'm lanky perhaps) and that'll keep their knees closer together. If you send your hips up and shoulders down, you should keep their hips on the ground and legs together as you walk around the legs. Drive a shoulder into their belly for pressure if necessary, but make sure you get a hand on a hip in the transition to keep them from re-establishing half guard/lockdown.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

He doesn't address it but I love the use of a Gable grip here. I always found the traditional arm triangle finish difficult to finagle, and this ignores that set up nearly completely in favor of pure pressure and just keeping your body close to your opponent.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

Lol yeah here I am toying with going back and... yikes

Agreed. Waiting until both my wife and I are vaccinated.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Count Roland posted:

That really sucks dude.

I have been training, but I'm lucky enough to be in an area that's gotten off very likely (partly because of pre-emptive lockdowns) and have been back at training for about a month now. Government sanctioned, and this government hasn't been shy about shutting poo poo down. Our school has been using "bubbles", so that if someone tests positive only their classmates will need to quarantine instead of the entire school.

On the mats I've been feel a tad fragile and like I forget everything, so of course this happened:

Congrats!

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

Loop choke or ezekiel them when they posture up. Then they're forced back down or you choke them.

L0cke17 posted:

Loop choke or ezekiel them when they posture up. Then they're forced back down or you choke them.

L0cke17 posted:

L0cke17 posted:

L0cke17 posted:

L0cke17 posted:

No. Other. Options.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Decades posted:

Thoughts? Would you feel cheated if your opponent was missing your favorite target?

I think its great. Its not like he doesn't have a neck/knees/arms/wrists you can't work on, people just need to improve their game. I used to train with a then brown but now black belt who only has one hand. Only having a single hand did not keep him from beating the living poo poo out of virtually everyone in our gym despite him only weighing around 150 lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

laxbro posted:

Any Northern VA grapplers here? I got a few months of BJJ in prior the pandemic at Ryan Hall's gym in Falls Church. Now that I'm vaccinated I'm looking to get back into it. Unfortunately I've moved farther away from Hall's gym - from Arlington to Alexandria City. It's only 9 miles away but that is an eternity in the DC metro when you're battling 9-5 commuters. I could feasibly still make it to this gym since the introductory classes are later at night so traffic shouldn't be as bad. I really, really liked the gi instructor for beginners at 50/50 (AA wrestler, black belt judo, purple belt bjj). I'm thinking of making sucking it up and dealing with the commute just because he was such a good coach.

High Noon BJJ is close by and looks like a good gym. Anyone have any experience with this gym? Is it a good fit for a complete newbie? My schedule will allow me to only make 1 introductory class per week at this gym so I'd have to go to the "commuter morning class" which has no instructors or go to the all-levels class in the evening. In your experience are fresh white belts welcome at all-levels classes if there are also introductory classes offered by the gym?

Regardless, I'm looking forward to hitting the mats again.

Sorry to finally get to this, but I've heard nothing but good things about High Noon. They're an offshoot of another good BJJ school in NoVA (Abmar's) and I trained with a brown belt of there's for a while during the transition and she was extremely legit. I don't know much about them overall but I've heard the instruction is great.