Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
you should go, and bring a lot of coke with you, and party with Chuck Liddell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fawker posted:

Would I be an idiot if I went to class or should I just stay home and continue icing it while feeling sorry for myself.

do you want to be a fuckin grappler?

Give it time to heal up properly. no sense in risking further damage.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

you know those interviews where chael isn't playing a heel but is actually just being himself and it kind of owns because he's not a clown for a little while?

well here's 30 minutes of that

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/517497-Thirty-minutes-with-Chael-Sonnen

he talks about his thoughts on American wrestling (:911:), the American wrestling Olympic team (:911:), the respect wrestlers deserve, and comparing wrestlers in MMA to pure wrestlers.

chael makes me want to follow wrestling.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

gently caress yeah nick diaz is awesome

*smokes a bowl of dank :420:*

*doesn't go to work on monday*

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Taratang posted:

I haven't had a chance to speak to him yet but Braulio just posted this on facebook:
I'll try to find out more when Braulio gets back but it seems not even Cesar knows why Nick didn't show :confused:.

He was busy in Ross Goodman's office typing up another sworn affidavit about how big of a scared bitch Keith Kizer is.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Well that's a whole lot of giving a poo poo about a meaningless exhibition in a sport which he doesn't really compete in professionally against a guy he probably couldn't hang with anyway.

Yeah, nick diaz is a big shithead, but this isn't that big of a deal. He just ditched a seminar like two weeks ago and nobody really cared then. If there had been any decent MMA on last night or today (or if Tuesday's show had bigger fights) few people would have cared about this too. Instead it has been the top story on most mma sites because nothing else is really going on.

But Nick Diaz needs to stop signing up for things he has no intention of really doing.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

IT BEGINS posted:

Please let this not be Shaub vs. Cyborg again.

Chael has subbed many people and has been subbed by many people, so I'm sure he's not afraid to engage in a jiu jitsu match unlike Brendan "I Just Beat Andrei Arlovski!!!" Schaub

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

fatherdog posted:

Plus I don't think Metamoris test.

That was the very first thing I thought of when I saw Chael Sonnen and Josh Barnett willing to do this out of competition from UFC

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Metamoris would be a perfect fit for Fight Pass so I hope so. Especially if they can keep landing the big UFC names and mix them with all the big BJJ names you hear Rogan talking about all the time but have no idea who the gently caress they are unless you're an enthusiast. As much as I enjoy MMA it would be hard to pass up seeing guys like Benson and Barnett grapple in a jiu jitsu match every month instead of the Nate Marquardt vs James TeHuna type MMA headliners. It would benefit both camps so much they would be dumb not to work out a deal.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

that's a lot of words for "We want to congratulate Chael on a healthy pregnancy and advancing performance science! See you August 9th!"

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Kenny Florian is competing at Metamoris 4.

Here we are, a jiu jitsu card I'm anticipating more than a UFC card. Congratulations, you guys did it, you won.

Metamoris 4
Los Angeles, California
Saturday, August 9, 2014

Andre Galvao x Chael Sonnen
Saulo Ribeiro x Rodrigo Long
Dean Lister x Josh Barnett
Keenan Cornelius x Vinny Magalhaes
Kit Dale x Garry Tonon
Secret Fight: Kenny Florian x opponent not yet announced

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

forever.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

hey look at this dumb retard who finally took a jiu jitsu class

maybe in 5-10 years I'll actually know what I'm talking about, but probably not

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Keg posted:

You should have said hi to me! I'm the one in the far bottom right corner.

Oh poo poo I didn't even know. I'll be there next Monday too. I just got back from the Wednesday 10:30 - 11:30 class.

My plan is basically to fight CM Punk by the end of the year since I am convinced I will be a better grappler than him by then.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Keg posted:

I'm not sure if you're joking about the joke I made, but I want to make sure you don't talk to the actual guy in the bottom right corner as if it's somebody from the internet, and reveal that my joke was that I'm the grappling dummy in the bottom righthand corner of the photo

oh I know, I just ran with it cause I couldn't think of anything else to post aside from the CM Punk thing. :hf:

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I rolled for the first time tonight with a blue belt, I think I pulled a rib muscle. At least I recovered half guard once from full mount so progress?

holy poo poo how does anybody do this regularly

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

my primary takeaway through five classes as a white belt has been having Nic Gregoriades making fun of my fat goon body. jiu jitsu owns, I should have started years ago.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

retard newb question here: how do you stop stubbing your toes all the time on the mat/into your partner while rolling? cause like, gently caress, ouch.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Submitting a guy in 22 seconds is kind of crazy

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I guess Renzo's guys are pretty good, turns out

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

that looks like the arm triangle attempt I tried earlier in class

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Thanks for writing that Yuns. You just described my problem as a retarded white belt who learned the x-guard -> ankle lock transition but now I've had a tendency to just hunt for that anytime I'm on my back instead of actually, you know, practicing fundamental jiu jitsu passes & positioning. I'm gonna work on that.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

i'm on team plain black/grey rash guards and compression leggings

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I'm up to training 6x a week now and while jiu jitsu is good and fun the competition training classes seem really intense and not fun. Godspeed to anyone who adds that extra stress to their life

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Odddzy posted:

Do most people here have one person or more they mostly refuse to roll with for reasons other than fear of getting injured? At this point there's a guy I've decided isn't worth it to roll with because I've figured we probably won't ever get along. Do these weird beefs sometimes eventually get settled for others here? I'm sure they do but it's been going on for the better part of a year and i'm curious to hear the stories of others.

Edit : Sorry for the doublepost, I don't post too often usually.

This is from the perspective of a guy who has only been rolling for 3 months, but I can think of two guys who I do not want to roll with again because they are dicks. Not friendly to talk to and if I had to guess are taking a lot of their life frustrations out in the gym. They stand out so much because everybody else in the gym is cool as hell.

There was some fatherdog post in here semi-recently I think where he said that there are assholes in any hobby and jiu jitsu, despite rooting itself in respecting others, is no different (or something like that). So in my opinion there's no reason to worry about the one guy who you don't get along with when you know there are like 20 other great people in class.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I've been wearing tesla all day every day since I started and they're good, but yeah you needed to order a few sizes up. I wear a 2XL (ordinarily fit in an XL or L) from them and they are still tight, but comfortable enough. They have been surprisingly durable for $10 compression clothing.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

*nods solemnly then looks down at the mats because neither one of us really wants to roll with each other*

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Got triangled by everyone I rolled with today. My last roll was with the instructor. He said to the class before we started to give it all we got for the last one. I said if I could avoid getting triangled, it would be a win. He told me he didn't go after those. After we're rolling for a minute he gets me in one and was like "guess I was wrong."

from the top or bottom? getting caught in one when they're mounted on top of you is some hard poo poo to avoid, but if you're just getting trapped in their guards over and over again... quit messing around in their guards.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

yeah if 30 is considered "masters" in most tournaments then I'm gonna gently caress up a bunch of old guys in a year. I can barely hang with the 24 year olds in my gym but I have no problems taking down 45 year olds on my way to silver & gold medals

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Me personally I like the game where a purple/brown belt sees how far they can let me work, almost until the point where they are in danger, then they completely shut me down/reverse/sweep/etc. and then we start over from whatever position they put me in or after they lock in a submission to really drive home how open I left myself to a counter. It's almost like a game of chicken. I get to train stuff I've been learning or experimenting with, the higher belts train defense & escapes with a light bit of smashing.

black belts mostly just do moves I can't even comprehend.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

JaySB posted:

Jacked my knee up yesterday rolling. Put my leg back to start to open a closed guard, guy just shifted and I fell back and twisted my knee. Hurt like a motherfucker. Took a bit of a rest, tried to roll again went to hip escape and felt a nice little pop. Now any movement of my knee is painful and walking hurts. :smith:

Sorry to hear about that man. I almost had the exact same thing happen to me a few weeks ago when I was on my back fighting for closed guard but I managed to warn the guy I was rolling with "dude dude!" right before he collapsed on my knee and twisted the poo poo out of it. i hope you're not out of commission for long.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I bought like a $30 black gi a few weeks ago that might be made out of recycled cardboard but I don't care it didn't have any logos on it and it works.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Sprecherscrow posted:

So, who's watching EBI tonight?

EBI seems like required viewing at my gym these days so I will.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I'm pretty sure I partially tore my MCL a few months ago but I can't stop, I've got a blue belt to earn.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

ch3cooh posted:

I sprained something in my lower back like a month ago. I would rest for a few days and when it felt better I would go train and the next day I would be right back to hosed. So I'd rest a few days...

Well whatever was sprained gave up the ghost this morning so I'm laid up with an ice pack and muscle relaxants looking at 4 to 6 weeks of PT. If I'd really rested for a couple weeks when it first happened I'd probably be back on the mat regularly by now.

So yeah don't train through things until they are completely because then you're looking at missing big chunks of time or injuries that'll bug you for life.

^5 injury buddies

Yeah the one thing that's been encouraging for me is my knee injury has been getting better over time, albeit slowly, and I don't do anything too risky during rolls. I also have been keeping a brace on it since the day the injury happened (we were drilling takedowns and my knee buckled). It's a combination of not having the greatest health insurance and potentially having to take extended time off that worries me more than the injury as it exists right now to be honest. I've been training 3x a week pretty consistently now for 8 months and jiu jitsu is just starting to become fun. I can't imagine taking tons of time off. I understand the risk is having to miss more time in the future if it becomes serious as opposed to a shorter rest period now, but so far everything has been okay so I'm just gonna keep riding it.

I hope you're back on the mats soon.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

If I had to roll with an upper belt for over an hour I would ask them to please gently kill me after about 7 minutes

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

My gym doesn't hand out belts too easily. We are pretty focused on competition (not required though) and when more than 60% of everybody is competing all the time it's kinda hard to bullshit who is or isn't properly ranked. I like it. That being said it's about 2 years from white to blue, 3 from blue to purple. And that's if you show up a few times a week and the head instructors don't have to yell at you during rolls for doing poo poo wrong. No idea about brown belt, I think you have to murder a fellow purple belt to ascend.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Yeah congrats man! Count me in the group that thought you were already above a blue for a while.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

cool kimura

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

combat jiu jitsu is sillier than I had imagined, and I imagined it to look pretty drat silly