Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Grab Your Foot! posted:

I've always been partial to his single actually; ceci n'est pas running the pipe.

holy poo poo hahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Since there really isn't any other thread to put this in...

Two girls qualified for the Iowa Wrestling tournament, the first two ever. Just qualifying is a pretty big deal. The tournament started this morning and one of them got pinned in the first round against a ranked guy.

The other won, because her opponent, who is 35-4 and had a decent shot at making the finals, forfeited due to not wanting to wrestle a girl, saying that wrestling a girl disagreed with his faith (http://iowaprepsports.com/featured/2011/02/17/linn-mar-student-cites-conscience-faith-in-not-wrestling-girl).

Stupid kid, hope he loses his next match at never qualifies again. Leave the tournament to people that actually want to be there.

The comments are both hilarious and :smith:

There will be no GIRLS in OUR GAY SPORT!!!!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

shizen posted:

so why is it that wrestlers are massive/muscular compared to bjj competitors who have very little size? I mean they both primairly just do grappling, yet wrestlers seem to look in tremendously better shape. I notice it in mma also that wrestlers just are a lot bigger/stronger then the bjj guys.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Can somebody knowledgeable in BJJ give me the rundown on Xande Ribeiro? I have an opportunity to do some photo/video shoots with him very soon, but my knowledge of high level BJJ is very sparse.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

John Blaster posted:

Gracie Barra or no?

I trained BJJ at a Gracie school for a little while, but not an official gracie barra school. It was much more personal, no contracts, you get promoted when you actually deserve it, etc...

So moved to LA, and the closest school to me is a Gracie Barra academy. I took the free class, nice students, good teachers... but the way it operates seems so backwards to me. Ignoring the contract, they charge you 100 dollars "enrollment fee" so that "master carlos can track your progress"... yeah i'm sure he's updating 'JohnBlastersBeltProgress.xls' every week. Also, they promote you based on how much time you've put into their school, and from what I gather pay no mind to how much training you've already had. In addition to this, they don't even let you do live rolling until you have three stripes.. Oh yeah, I guess they give out stripes on their belts here, too...

All this stuff doesn't sit well with me. It feels like it's the McDonald's of BJJ. I feel like I should be staying far away... Thoughts?

There's a Gracie BJJ school here that is doing a 30 day free trial, and they'll provide the gi. I'll start today, who knows how it'll go.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It's a Gracie Barra (that's buried inside a boxing gym).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Trip report from my first Gracie Barra class (never had formal instruction before, but I've rolled no-gi with some of my friends who wrestled in high school/college):

-Class starts with a short warmup session where you do jumping jacks, pushups, and just general hip and core workouts.
-Class then moves onto a self-defense technique; I learned how to escape a dude trying to choke me while standing, frankenstein-style.
-Learned how to pull guard and retain control to set up a tripod sweep
-Then everyone started to alternate in guard top or bottom, with the goal to pass if you're on top and either lock the other guy down or submit him if you're on bottom.

The first guy I rolled with I was able to pass his guard pretty easily and I caught him in a triangle once. The second guy I rolled with was much better and had stronger grip - he pretty much passed to side control every time as I was still getting used to not being able to scramble as easily. I almost caught him in an omoplata. One time I was able to take his back when he tried to sweep.

One thing I noticed was that everyone around me was gassed to hell. I don't know if this is just a problem with their experience or fitness, but I definitely did much better after people started to get tired and wheezy. At the pace we were going I definitely could've gone another 2 hours.

I have a 30 day trial so I'm going to go as much as I possibly can. I like this format of teaching, though I would have liked a little more specific technique instruction - but I'm sure that is something that comes with time and practice, as I can barely execute the one sweep that I did learn today.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 22, 2011

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Also, to recruit females, they occasionaly hold self defense seminars that they call "Rape Safe" classes. These are really just a beginner class and includes learning things like how to do a double leg takedown on someone trying to rape you...

wrestling ruins everything

I actually don't have a problem with the way the class is set up, because it's a beginners class and a lot of people just don't have the experience or the conditioning to really get any benefit out of more open mat time. I think the 15 or so minutes you spend on positional sparring is more than enough for anyone new.

Maybe after a week or so my tune will change, but at this point I don't know where and how to grip lapels and sleeves, so it's not like I want to be rolling with other guys quite yet.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 22, 2011

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

doesn't guard pull imply that he was on his feet to begin with?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Did I kill the tendon in my biceps or something? About a month ago I got caught in a nasty armbar and I couldn't tap quickly enough before it felt seriously stretched out. I've been avoiding doing workouts that strain my biceps because there's still a ton of residual soreness any time I flex it.

I started rolling again last week and everything felt great, then yesterday someone slapped on an americana and the second he started torquing it I started to feel a sharp pain.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I've always used my arm to pull their head up - is there some kind of gym etiquette against doing that?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

ahahaha Rorion immediately gets wrist control.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

mobn clearly got it wrong; don't let their weight pass under your hips, allow their weight to pass to the side!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Become good friends with wrestlers and work out with them, or maybe find a wrestling club.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

He does something shady, or hurts somebody in basically ever MMA or grappling fight hes involved in. At what point do people say, "hey, this guy is an rear end in a top hat", and do something about it? I think hes not so innocent and knowingly pushes the rules for his benefit and pulls the Lenny with the rabbit act when hes called out for it.

This is why the Marquardt fight was so satisfying for me.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

until they...aren't?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Dante posted:

man roger gracie isn't kidding around when he says his academy is different

http://vimeo.com/user7552022/submission

that video owns hard

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

But not everything is done right at the right time so...

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Clearly Shogun is a terrible grappler if he is incapable of finishing an omoplata against Mark Coleman.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I'm surprised arm triangle isn't higher on that list. I don't follow competitive grappling, so are those stats fairly close to what you'd see in grappling comps?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I'm not a good wrestler but I've found that unless I'm rolling with someone with perfect technique and a lot of speed, I can usually just stuff a low single by controlling their head and either putting my weight on them and forcing them to turtle or just spin and get my leg out.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

A lot of high school/college wrestlers play other sports too, so instead of making no money in international competition and then transitioning to making no money AND getting punched in the face in MMA, they'll get drafted into ball sports and make lots of money.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I'm not a good wrestler but normally I do a lot more than just take a penetrating step and drive forward with a couple steps. I'm not good at explaining this, but if you look at the way Koscheck or Sonnen pursue takedowns it's like that. They grab a guy and then stay as tight as they can while driving forward, pulling, and turning at the same time. You have all these forces acting on a guy to destabilize his base and it takes some top notch defensive wrestling to either stuff these takedowns or come out on top of a scramble.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Ninja PD posted:

Nick saved Braulio's life by not showing up, that's charity enough.

Plus he probably gives them money anyways but ain't a publicity whore like all the other guys you hear about that do charitable things and boasted about it in the media. Braulio is a bitch that would get worked in BJJ, MMA, any way, all day, errday. 2-0-9 ya dig

where is this cp from

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yuns posted:

Andre didn't get dq'd for just entering the mats. According to Kid Peligro's adcombat account:
http://www.adcombat.com/news/2012-06-02/kid-peligro-jiu-jitsu-news-worlds-2012-breaking-news-andre-galvao-dqd-worlds-wont-fi
Andre jumped the fence, had words with the ref and then had to be restrained. I don't ever recall Rickson needing to be restrained. I'm surprised no one has posted video of the incident yet.

I have a video from my friend's phone, but the quality is pretty lovely and you can hardly tell what's going on.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I don't remember the fight but it sounds like a knee tap. Here's Cruz showing a striking setup into a knee tap: http://www.sherdog.com/mma-techniques/Technique-of-the-Week-23-Knee-Tap-28695

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Pretty cool stuff - are there any southern California grappling goons out there? I've been meaning to do a video like that for a while, but I don't know a lot of people who would want to participate in this kind of thing.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Without Rorion breating that drum so hard in the 80s, instead of a Gracie Academy there'd be Gracie Brothers Honda. They're more about the brand than anything else; always have been.

(rener gracie, dressed in a suit coat and polo shirt, gazes first at the ZERO DOWN ZERO INTEREST sign painted on a new Accord, then at the camera "DAAAAAAANG")

when my father created the ULTIMATE HONDA DEALERSHIP in 1993, he showed the power of GRACIE FINANCING to the world of auto buying, and now every dealer in the world has added it to their arsenal

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The lighting they used for Ryron's talking heads is really lovely, I wouldn't read too much into that. In the Gracie Breakdown videos he looks fine.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

bleeegh I fly to China on the 14th, no magic pants submission fights for me :sigh:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Well usually when you sit out you'll be doing it a lot faster than that guy in the 3rd match did. I'm guessing Mecha's opponent wasn't a wrestler (or had terrible conditioning, or both) because that move looked so slow and lumbering. Going from a sit out to a single leg is pretty common.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If there were some way they could combine Judo's current rules/scoring and add strikes that would be awesome.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Teg5WDkCFw&t=59s

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

LobsterMobster posted:

Apparently the Arizona Open Jiu-Jitsu International has some good grapple men (I don't know grapples too well :( )

Here's Benson Henderson doing stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck6hxRD6YVs

Can somebody explain BJJ scoring to me? Did Bendo win his on the account of the headlock and choke attempt (?) at the end? Because to me it just looked like he got swept like 3 times and wasn't able to hit any takedowns.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

fawker posted:

does Schaub even have his blackbelt yet? He is going to be so outclassed that it's gonna be embarrassing.

Schaub's guard passes in MMA are pretty funny to look at and I want to see Cyborg tap him with something crazy, because he's probably bad enough to lose to just about anything.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Maybe Schaub is just really good in a gi...

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

CivilDisobedience posted:

Except that 'modern MMA' doesn't necessarily mean unified rules (no matter how much you want to claim that it's the only possible ruleset), and it's absolutely relevant to that discussion that one of the best weapons Judoka have in their arsenal has been taken away from them in UFC to give wrestlers an unfair advantage

1)What currently operating organizations allow the use of a gi?
2)The Unified rules do WAY more to nullify wrestlers than anybody else. Removing ground knees is a big example of this.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Jesus christ never mind, this guy is either a troll or a gigantic loving idiot.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The UFC is not MMA, it's entertainment prizefighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Frank Trigg got choked out by Bruce Buffer in a hotel elevator, that's pretty funny.