Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

MycroftXXX posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eusZGjMaW5g

Even the british are shaking their heads at that double.

I wonder how many takes they did, and how bad the ones they didn't use are...
I used to think I had just about the worst double of any blue belt anywhere, but that dude takes it to the next level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
The last tournament I went to a guy from my school got DQ'ed for a double leg, from his knees, being called 'a slam' (wrestling ruins everything). This was in an advanced division. It was your basic local clown show in MA.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

fawker posted:

For a mouthguard, will the $2 boil and bite I used in HS be adequate?

Do yourself a favor and get a mouth guard from your dentist. Best $20 I ever spent. People don't even know I have it in because it fits so well and doesn't affect my breathing or speech (mine is just the upper).

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Pooned posted:

playful optional grappling sessions with them

'Officer, I swear, I was only touching those kids in a playful manner! We never made eye contact...'

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Angora posted:

Well, because both my opponent and I have been training the sweep for the last half-hour, I'm hesitant to perform it immediately because I know my opponent is expecting it.

This will help you improve your technique. If they know you're going to try a certain sweep, it will force you to execute it well to be successful or give you an opportunity to practice transitioning to other moves.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
No, if he wasn't an uncoordinated spaztard he wouldn't have almost knocked himself out. How is reading so hard for you?
Most people in non-advanced divisions trying flying techniques have little to no chance of hitting them. These people are likely to injure themselves or others with their spaztard nonsense. This behavior should be discouraged.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Subparr posted:

Apparently I'm not communicating my point well enough.

Teach me wise one, what techniques are competitors allowed to use at grappling tournaments? Or better yet, give me a list of 'spaztard nonsense,' so I can help spread the word to avoid offending your delicate sensibilities.

The bottom line is, you can't decide whether a technique works for someone or not, no matter what you believe the fail rate to be. Everyone's different. Calling something 'brutish' and saying 'people are idiots who use this technique' is just loving ignorant.

Dude, you fail so hard at reading you do not appear to be able to distinguish between the people pointing out what an idiot you are. Please point out anything in my post about delicate sensibilities or brutishness. Please.
My point continues to be that people going for high risk moves that they can't properly execute is a bad thing. By all means, please continue to tell us about the time you won the kumate with a flying heal hook to prove that idiots with no skill should be doing the same.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Subparr posted:

Sorry for the huge derail.

No one here ever said the move doesn't work, or shouldn't be done. No one has said that you should not try a flying triangle. I will continue to say that it should not be done by people who are just going to injure themselves and/or others while accomplishing nothing. The discussion started because someone saw an idiot injure themselves going for a flying move. I feel safe in saying that a dude who throws himself in the air and lands on his head like a spaz should not be trying flying triangles live. I have no idea why you keep interpreting this position as a personal attack and a slight against the honor of flying triangles.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Awesome video; also can't wait for part 2. Given that, what was with the British guy? 'I'll take the smallest dude. It's unfair, someone picked on me! I'd beat him with an eight minute time limit.'

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
He wouldn't even have to put out that kind of effort. 5 seconds on google or wikipedia would do it.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
He doesn't watch the things he's commenting on. He fits right in here.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

colonel_korn posted:

Like I can't believe that any person, at any point in time, thought "hmmm, it would be really great to get a high level BJJ black belt, and put him in a grappling match with Brendan Schaub."

I can't believe that there is anyone who DOESN'T want to see this.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I think I'm done with BJJ. There's humbling experiences and there's getting your rear end kicked in sparring week in week out for 10 months straight, even against people with only a month's experience I just get flattened.

And? Were you taking BJJ classes to 'win'? At some point when you advance enough to bump up to an intermediate/advanced/whatever class you will be the low person on the totem pole again and start the whole process of feeling like you don't know anything and aren't advancing over. If your goal is to be the best you that you can be, BJJ is a great tool, and the price is getting beat up and tapped out. If you were just styling on fools, it would do nothing for you, even if it would feel much better for your ego. If you wrestled around with a friend who doesn't train, you would likely realize how far you have actually come in real terms. Trying to compare yourself to people at the gym is a trap. 'Oh, that guy always beats me' 'this new guy used to wrestle so I can't do anything' and so on are stories we can make up to excuse ourselves from trying harder and making honest assessments of our progress.

If it is currently that dispiriting, take a break. Try something else that might help you reshape your life. I'll suggest power yoga as it will kick your rear end as completely as BJJ, but in a different way and without a guy dripping sweat into your mouth.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
As a mediocre blue belt, I regularly hit side/scissor sweeps on blue and purple belt people. I'm a 47 yo two trick blue belt (side sweep/head and arm choke) so this may not be useful if you actually have a developed game. My game is get to a guard, control the shoulder, sweep, head and arm choke. Adding in a reverse side sweep threat helps convince them to give you the regular side sweep.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Mekchu posted:

If I want to be cheeky, i'm 14yrs in and a blue belt.

Realistically, its 4yrs.

I got my blue belt in 1999. Probably 7 years of training since. I think I'm finally better than I was when I got my blue belt a mere 22 years later.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Lotta kids in this thread, lol. I turned 48 last weekend and celebrated by doing 6 hours of training over sat/sun and then feeling very old on monday. I've been averaging 4 hours a week for the last year and finally feeling like I'm making some progressing. Trying to get to purple before I turn to dust. Thankfully, old guy strength and treachery can keep one alive in a room full of killers half their age.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Vermont and NH are pretty bleak. The few people i know in south east NH make the trip over to Portland ME to train.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Why, when people say stuff like 'Can we go light? I'm coming back from injury' do I believe them? 100% of the time these people wait for the first opening then try and dive on/rip some stupid dangerous nonsense at 100% pace. Normally, I do not face crank anyone, but gently caress you visiting blue belt dipshit. Afterwards he said something like 'You have to roll this way at 40 to protect yourself'. I'm 48 and 20# lighter than you sir, wtf are you talking about actually? I'm hoping he's still visiting tomorrow because I'd like to practice my rhino choke. At least he had the decency to be terrible to go along with being an rear end in a top hat.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Refuse to roll with that dude next time. "No I am actually injured...from the last time we rolled". What an rear end in a top hat.

Instead of that, my plan is to Darth Vader choke him the next time I see him. It might not be the most annoying way to get tapped, but it has to be close. Thankfully he's bad, so the danger posed was/is limited.

I'm curious about this meta of 'standing up'. I'm stuck in the 'sit down as soon as you touch lest you be flung to the ground unceremoniously' meta.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Nestharken posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDJggLAD7tM

*he's also a cop, so knocking him down a few pegs is basically a moral imperative

If you are looking for demoralizing moves, you are looking at the right guy. Source: I train with Jay Jack at the Academy. There is a variant of that Darth Vader choke where you loosen the lapel grip a little and they think it's great to slip their arm out, so you put your arm through the lapel loop and choke them even worse. That lapel grip is also money for taking the back or setting up triangles.

The most demoralizing for me is the foot sweep. Some rear end in a top hat just standing there not even moving much while I just repeatedly fall down. If this guy is real bad, I'm a fan of a no hands omoplata. This will have a real cop theme to it as well as it's a great position to shout 'Step Resisting!' from.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
I watched that knee tap video yesterday and this morning hit it in the first round but too surprised that it worked to follow up. He just sat down when I went for it again which made me giggle as I am the most likely to pull guard guy where I train. For sure one of those moves that I'm not sure why I haven't been doing this forever. Thanks!

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

The one from the arm drag?

Ya, which is doubly funny because I never have any luck with regular arm drags. My wrestling is straight trash. I was playing with the same basic move in another round with a collar tie instead of the arm and that seemed pretty solid as well. Tonight I'll run into some actual wrestlers, so we'll see.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
One instructor where I train plays jam bands. It is so hard to try and pretend to murder people to that garbage.

So I managed to pop my own knee . Thankfully it was only a grade one sprain. 10 days later, I can straighten my leg slowly laying on my back. I'm working my way through a basic sports medicine rehab system, but what I don't know is how far healed do I need to be to drill? I'm thinking when I can do body weight squats without issue and will start slow, but I'm curious if anyone has more experience with this than I do. When the rehab guide says 'you can return to light physical activity' and work from there I'm taking that to mean drilling slowly with safe partners.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Counter point: How annoying would it be to try and teach a seminar to a bunch of people just pointing their phones at you and not actually paying attention. Just treat the experience with some respect and take down some notes after.

Imagine trying to teach regular classes and some dipshit was standing there pointing a phone in your face and tell me you wouldn't want to slap it out of their hand. I imagine seminars would be much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
I'm coming back from a knee sprain and right now I'm only rolling with super good partners or flow rolling with medium to good people. Miss me with that white belt magic for a few more weeks. People are way too blasé about training with injuries imho and pawn the responsibility off on the other person. There was a guy in this week trying to train with a bad rib injury. My guy, there is almost nothing your partner can do that isn't going to strain your rib area. He got reinjured in the second round, so I guess he did better than I thought he would.