Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bumble Dong posted:

https://outcastdroneworks.com/products/microhawk-complete-maker-kit

I have one of these on the way (allegedly). Seems to be the longest flight time currently available with ~15 minutes of freestyle or 20-25 minutes of cruising

:stare:that thing is a tiny little 3 inch with a 3250mah battery, it looks like theyre using Lithium Ion 18650 cells...i AM very INTERESTED IN SEEING SOME FLIGHT VIDEOS ONCE YOU GET IT

I hit caps lock but fuckit I don't want to retype that, pretend I'm that hyped.

https://outcastdroneworks.com/collections/microhawk-complete-kit/products/2s7-4v-3250mah-lithium-ion-high-amperage-pack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hadlock posted:

So whats the difference between pixhawk 2.4.8 and pixhawk 4? Supposedly the 4 is more reliable for some reason? Seems like people have been using 2.4.8 reliably for a long time, what am I missing

Boat stuff is coming together, I ended up just buying a 10 channel uh, flysky i6-a or whatever, looks like the receiver has sbus which is compatible with pixhawk, flysky stuff hsould be here monday or something
Pixhawk numbering is silly and has little to do with what's newer or better :D.

The Pixhawk 2.4.8 is a clone of the old 'original' pixhawk and uses a STM32F427. It's nothing fancy, but they've been made for a long time and mostly just work.
The Pixhawk 4 is aimed at the more commercial side and uses a STM32F765 and better sensors. I actually don't know anyone who uses this. Holybro support is notoriosly bad.

The 2.4.8 is more than enough for your project.

If you really do want to go fancier with the FC, then I highly recommend the CUAV V3x series rather than the Pixhawk 4.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Pixhawk hardware is open source and numbering, versions, etc is not really controlled so nothing is stopping whatever Chinese company from doing a different board layout with a better servo bus or something and calling it a Pixhawk 13 which is exactly what happens. Like the really expensive big hexes I set up for a company that came with a “Pixhawk 2” that was in actuality an AUAV X2.1 which is basically the same thing as a Pixhawk 1 but with a weird board layout in a cheesy 3D printed case.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I get it, buying hobbyist electronics crap from ebay is always sketchy. I learned that the first time I tried buying an 18650 5000mah cell. Half the words on the label were misspelled. Also it was closer to 800mah worth of capacity. I've also bought a bunch of questionable quality esp8266/arduino crap over the years

Is there a preferred ardupilot-compatible pixhawk vendor, or one that you might trust over others. Looks like I need a device that's compatible with ardurover 3.5 and/or 4.0 to get the sailboat features. I think ardurover 3.5 is from second half of 2018 so it's not exactly bleeding edge

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Any 2.4.8 will do these days. In fact, most 'clones' are better than the original Pixhawk 1s:

https://www.banggood.com/Pixhawk-PX4-2_4_8-Flight-Controller-32-Bit-ARM-PX4FMU-PX4IO-Combo-for-Multicopters-p-1040416.html

This is kinda more future proof:

https://www.banggood.com/Matek-Systems-F405-WING-New-STM32F405-Flight-Controller-Built-in-OSD-for-RC-Drone-p-1292190.html

It'll give you analog OSD if you ever put FPV on it and require less special cabling.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Any 2.4.8 will do these days. In fact, most 'clones' are better than the original Pixhawk 1s:

https://www.banggood.com/Pixhawk-PX4-2_4_8-Flight-Controller-32-Bit-ARM-PX4FMU-PX4IO-Combo-for-Multicopters-p-1040416.html

This is kinda more future proof:

Thanks, I went with the 2.4.8, it will take 5v direct on the servo power rail which is what I already have, this avoids me having to invest in a 2S/3S battery pack + charger. Gonna just use an existing 6 x AA battery thing and a 12A buck converter, will circle back around if I need more than 4-6 hours loiter time

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

i own every Bionicle posted:

So I got my Tiny Trainer done!

I got the Beta board and changed it. This is what the old Goku board looked like when I took it out:

:kingsley:

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

I have now had 2 Trashcan FCs (Crazybee F4 Pro v2.0) stop responding to my Flysky i6x TX, with the second one failing mere minutes into its maiden flight after a light (maybe 3m) fall on loose gravel after I disarmed it to make sure I didn't ram it into the ground during a gust of wind. The first one survived much harsher falls for months. Return signal gone, binding through betaflight just does nothing. I've tried flashing betaflight from various versions, including wiping settings. Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on? Could it somehow be the TX, and if so, how would I go about checking? I never dropped it, the antennas are attached fine and I can fly in sims with it with no issue.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Leandros posted:

I have now had 2 Trashcan FCs (Crazybee F4 Pro v2.0) stop responding to my Flysky i6x TX, with the second one failing mere minutes into its maiden flight after a light (maybe 3m) fall on loose gravel after I disarmed it to make sure I didn't ram it into the ground during a gust of wind. The first one survived much harsher falls for months. Return signal gone, binding through betaflight just does nothing. I've tried flashing betaflight from various versions, including wiping settings. Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on? Could it somehow be the TX, and if so, how would I go about checking? I never dropped it, the antennas are attached fine and I can fly in sims with it with no issue.

Sounds like typical happymodel quality, tbh. I've had luck soldering a second receiver onto a whoop FC before, try plugging it into betaflight and see if it's still getting control signals from the remote?

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

xsf421 posted:

Sounds like typical happymodel quality, tbh. I've had luck soldering a second receiver onto a whoop FC before, try plugging it into betaflight and see if it's still getting control signals from the remote?

Nope :( guess I'll see if there are any light-weight receivers for Flysky.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Leandros posted:

The crazybee F4 FCs are infamously unreliable I'm told, you might just be unlucky

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

How much of a spaz do I need to be about lipo batteries? I got the boy a car (I know this thread is airborne) for his birthday tomorrow, it’s takes a 5200mAh 3s, I’m charging it now, but it’s cool to let us sit for a day or 2? I saw 2-3 days at full charge on google, but I thought I’d consult the hive mind.

Honestly I’m thinking about getting a nicad battery or two for this thing until he’s older or trained on lipos.

And it looks like this charger will do either a balanced charged (requires the extra connection) or an optionally balanced charge (will charge without the extra connection, but will do it balanced if it’s connected), I assume there’s basically no reason to ever NOT connect the balance connector and do a balanced charge?

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 9, 2020

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

How much of a spaz do I need to be about lipo batteries? I got the boy a car (I know this thread is airborne) for his birthday tomorrow, it’s takes a 5200mAh 3s, I’m charging it now, but it’s cool to let us sit for a day or 2? I saw 2-3 days at full charge on google, but I thought I’d consult the hive mind.

Honestly I’m thinking about getting a nicad battery or two for this thing until he’s older or trained on lipos.

And it looks like this charger will do either a balanced charged (requires the extra connection) or an optionally balanced charge (will charge without the extra connection, but will do it balanced if it’s connected), I assume there’s basically no reason to ever NOT connect the balance connector and do a balanced charge?

It's fine to let it sit for a few days at full charge. Worst case you hurt the overall life of the battery. Just make sure you store it safely.

However, yes, store these things properly because they really are dangerous. Especially RC Lipos which as far as I can tell have very little protection circuitry so you can draw huge currents from them (required for RC stuff).
You may find that the RC car performs like poo poo with nicad batteries for this reason.

And yes, always do a balanced charge if you can. The other option is just there in case you have a battery without a balance port. It's safer and your battery will live longer.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Splode posted:

It's fine to let it sit for a few days at full charge. Worst case you hurt the overall life of the battery. Just make sure you store it safely.

However, yes, store these things properly because they really are dangerous. Especially RC Lipos which as far as I can tell have very little protection circuitry so you can draw huge currents from them (required for RC stuff).
You may find that the RC car performs like poo poo with nicad batteries for this reason.

And yes, always do a balanced charge if you can. The other option is just there in case you have a battery without a balance port. It's safer and your battery will live longer.

RC lipos have an integrated feedback mechanism that will alert you if you charge them improperly.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
There's no hard line. Basically any usage of the battery degrades it, so it comes down to how much money/time you want to spend versus performance demands. The further above or below 3.8V per cell, the more it degrades over time. The faster you charge or discharge it, the more it degrades. Some charge is also lost over time, so if you fully charge then wait a couple days, it may be down to ~4.1V per cell.

I think the main danger of fire is from crashes/physical damage and during charge/discharge.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I think I got the issues with my modded Tinyhawk resolved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRLdbtEtePs

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Tinyhawk II Freestyle report: its good

Huge improvement over the original. Plenty of power but is smooth and controllable and will pull out of a dive instantly. It seems like there is no angle you can’t recover from. Camera is very good, vtx is very good. The tune out of the box is excellent, I had to screw around with the last one a lot but on this one I just set my rates and went. Camera angle is now adjustable and has plenty of range. Gets about 3.5 minutes from a 2S 450.

Gripes: VTX antenna should be secured better; it can fall into the prop. The heatshrink on mine has been chewed up because of this. The SPI Rx range is still not good and I’m constantly getting low RSSI warnings but it has not failsafed so :shrug: I will probably just turn off telemetry. Does not have the power to take off from grass or turtle over in grass but I guess this can be expected of anything toothpick class. The 2x1s connector on the back is silly so I changed mine to an XT30 but I can see why they did it.

Plenty of crashes and nothing broken yet.

For the price, there is no reason not to buy one if you like this stuff at all.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

insta posted:

RC lipos have an integrated feedback mechanism that will alert you if you charge them improperly.
haha Like last night when I jammed my multimeter probes into an XT60 jack on a parallel charging board with a couple batteries in it, realized I had forgotten to turn the multimeter on so I reached over and let the two multimeter probes touch... BAP! It instantly blasted a BB-sized divot in my probe and threw molten metal slag all over the inside of the connector. The real quality part was that the 30A fuse in the parallel board is fine still. What exactly are those supposed to protect against if not something like this?

EDIT:

For the price, there is no reason not to buy one if you like this stuff at all.
drat you! Don't tell me that.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 9, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

insta posted:

spoiler alert: it's the siren you'll hear when the FD comes put out your house fire

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CapnBry posted:

drat you! Don't tell me that.

If you already have an original TH Freestyle, you can get the TBS Unify Nano 32 that goes to 500mw, a sled for it, and a runcam Turbo v.2 for under $50.

E: Well drat. Here's hoping my FC doesn't poo poo the bed.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 9, 2020

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Alternative pants posted:

If you already have an original TH Freestyle, you can get the TBS Unify Nano 32 that goes to 500mw, a sled for it, and a runcam Turbo v.2 for under $50.

Which is exactly the setup I had before the FC died and I decided to get the THFS II instead of pouring more money into it. They both perform almost identically, with the Unify being slightly clearer.

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006

Finally did the maiden on this, after probably two hours of programming the transmitter (used the Taranis, I’ve only used it for simple stuff like quads in the past and done all my complex programming with Futaba, Hitec, or Airtronics).

It’s incredible. Launches so high, and just effortlessly climbs out of sight if you find any lift at all.

The dumb pull-spring setup has screwed up the rudder hinge a little and the aileron servos are moving around a bit I think (trim keeps changing). Gotta fix that and throw it around some more.

That looks really nice. I've got my Hawk 1M back in action finally. I'm still waiting on my Auri show up. The tracking says it was cleared to depart Russia on May 14th and thats the last I've heard.
Did you set up your taranis manually do to launch and thermal modes etc, or use one of the prebuilt setups like SoarOTX. Since finding that, it's all I've used.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

bullets cure cops posted:

That looks really nice. I've got my Hawk 1M back in action finally. I'm still waiting on my Auri show up. The tracking says it was cleared to depart Russia on May 14th and thats the last I've heard.
Did you set up your taranis manually do to launch and thermal modes etc, or use one of the prebuilt setups like SoarOTX. Since finding that, it's all I've used.

I tried to add one of the templates to my Taranis, I can’t remember what it was called. Whatever came up on RCG when searching for DLG Taranis setups. It refused to import through OpenTX companion and I had no luck figuring out why, and rather than update OpenTX and risk breaking compatibility with my Whoops I started following a guide to set it up. I lost patience at page 22 of 36 I think (the guide was unfinished too btw), and managed to figure out the rest of it myself. I got launch, zoom, thermal, speed, and cruise modes. I still have to add timers and telemetry warnings but really, I found it wasn’t too bad after getting through the initial learning curve.

Had the servo tray pop loose in a hard landing, need to fix that

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

For kids who may be charging unsupervised (even if they aren’t allowed to) I think it’s easier to sidestep this whole issue by just paying way more for a traxxas ID or similar charger and battery setup. Single plug, no cell count or charge rate or polarity concerns.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Alternative pants posted:

I loved the look of the first TinyHawk Freestyle but had just bought a Larva X like a week before it came out so I never bought one. I flew that quad into a lake thanks to a desync and lost it forever (well technically I know where it is, I just have been unable to retrieve it). When they made this new version I have managed to not buy one but the temptation has been great. However, I decided to just give myself everything I want and just put in an order for an Armattan Tadpole 3" along with a 16x16 Goku stack/VTX, Xing X1204 motors, and a Foxeer Toothless 2 Nano starlight camera. Sure, it may cost twice as much but ... it could be 10% more fun? :homebrew:

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

For kids who may be charging unsupervised (even if they aren’t allowed to) I think it’s easier to sidestep this whole issue by just paying way more for a traxxas ID or similar charger and battery setup. Single plug, no cell count or charge rate or polarity concerns.
That's a good point. My Dad has the Spektrum smart battery version and it really makes charging LiPos easy when they autoconfigure their own charge current, cell count, and will auto-discharge to storage after a fixed time. That's probably great for younger folks who don't know the rules, but because it is Spektrum it costs mad stacks. Still a great idea though.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 11, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

pixhawk saga part 9

I recently reinstalled windows 10 on my laptop from scratch. In theory if I plug the pixhawk in, in the device manager something ought to show up under COM ports. I've struggled with this in the past on windows 7 programming arduino devices etc

I've manually tried adding COM ports via legacy hardware menu in device manager
I've tried installing the... CF210 or whatever drivers

No luck. I've spent probably an hour or more on this, looks like COM ports are still a problem in 2020 on windows, a lot of the same solutions, like above, those aren't working despite multiple reboots etc. Thoughts?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Data cable vs power only cable?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

No luck. I've spent probably an hour or more on this, looks like COM ports are still a problem in 2020 on windows, a lot of the same solutions, like above, those aren't working despite multiple reboots etc. Thoughts?
It might be getting assigned the wrong driver when you insert it. I find it helpful sometimes to use USBDeview and sort by "Last/Plug Unplug Event" date and see what it is called. Then I can find it in device manager, right click, update driver, browse, "let me pick", then select the proper com port driver.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hadlock posted:

pixhawk saga part 9

I recently reinstalled windows 10 on my laptop from scratch. In theory if I plug the pixhawk in, in the device manager something ought to show up under COM ports. I've struggled with this in the past on windows 7 programming arduino devices etc

I've manually tried adding COM ports via legacy hardware menu in device manager
I've tried installing the... CF210 or whatever drivers

Have you installed QGroundcontrol or Missionplanner? That should take care of the drivers for you.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Data cable vs power only cable?

Every time I find one of those motherfuckers it gets ripped in half by my bare hands.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
The only solution.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Have you installed QGroundcontrol or Missionplanner? That should take care of the drivers for you.

This is a virgin install of the latest version of missionplanner, which looks like it's v4.0.0 from last Sunday... might uninstall and roll back to 3.X

I did click through it installing 3-4 sets of drivers

It's not a power only cable, device manager's UI blips briefly when I plug it in, just doesn't create a COM port

That usbdview sounds like a great diagnostic tool, I'll check that out

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 12, 2020

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Do you have another machine you can try it on?. Is this a 2.4.8 unit?
I haven't had drivers issues with Pixhawks in years..

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
So I ended up going with the Mavic 2 Zoom. I was looking at the Air 2 but the SDK hasn't been released. Since I might need a different program than the vendor option for the control, I want I went with the zoom as it has sensors on all sides.

So the setup I have is connecting to my phone over wifi through Vysor, then setting the remote up on the porch. So there are some problems controlling things. I can only ascend using a waypoint mode, and can't turn or move laterally with tapfly, or land on my own if RTH is off target. Is there any solution to this similar to how the Mini has onscreen thumbsticks? Something I can click and drag some or arrows. I looked through any info I could find about things like Litchi or Airmap or other 3rd party stuff, but nothing looks to be what I am looking for. I'm thinking this might just mean the hobby just isn't something I can do.

Spoke Lee fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 13, 2020

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Picking up my babyhawk R again after loving it up last year and putting it away in disgust.

Anyone have any tips with adjusting pid/rates in betaflight so this thing isn't so holy poo poo fast input for a very much beginner? I have a vague idea of what they do but I'm not sure in a practical sense how I would want to adjust to just make everything slower.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Can you just limit the travel of all axes to like 30% of their full range?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Picking up my babyhawk R again after loving it up last year and putting it away in disgust.

Anyone have any tips with adjusting pid/rates in betaflight so this thing isn't so holy poo poo fast input for a very much beginner? I have a vague idea of what they do but I'm not sure in a practical sense how I would want to adjust to just make everything slower.

Just setting a throttle limit will do most of the work, adjusting your rates will reduce sensitivity, lowering any of the rate values will help but don't go too far as it'll be too sluggish.

RC rate value is the most important value for overall sensitivity, and it's usually around 1. If you set them all to 0.9 it should move pretty slowly.
RC expo gives you some exponential behaviour, so moving your stick to the end gives a lot movement. This is terrible for beginners who panic and over correct so turn it down or off (but you may want it back later if you ever want to do snap rolls).

I highly recommend just trying a throttle limit first, as rates are something you get used to and learn, and if you change them there's a reasonable amount of relearning required. If you can master reasonable rates up front you'll get better faster.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Would that be done in betaflight or my radio? And where do I find that on whichever one it is?

Edit: nevermind I got it

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 16, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Howdy folks. I'm looking to pick up a small camera drone for building survey purposes in the UK, that is to say surveying the condition of roofs etc, not land surveys.

My minimum requirements are (I think):
- 5-10min flight time
- 20-30m range
- live POV without direct LOS
- on-board or wifi video recording, moderately wide FOV, good enough quality to see details up close, but I'm not filming commercial-quality footage
- under 20kg (ideally under 250g but I assume that's not realistic)

It would never be flown away from my property (unless doing a favour for a neighbour or whatever). Audio recording not required.

Any off the cuff suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Jaded Burnout posted:

Howdy folks. I'm looking to pick up a small camera drone for building survey purposes in the UK, that is to say surveying the condition of roofs etc, not land surveys.

My minimum requirements are (I think):
- 5-10min flight time
- 20-30m range
- live POV without direct LOS
- on-board or wifi video recording, moderately wide FOV, good enough quality to see details up close, but I'm not filming commercial-quality footage
- under 20kg (ideally under 250g but I assume that's not realistic)

It would never be flown away from my property (unless doing a favour for a neighbour or whatever). Audio recording not required.

Any off the cuff suggestions?

I'm just lurking in this thread from time to time so im pretty sure someone has a better suggestion but what about a Mavic Mini?
Checks all the boxes on your list and weighs less than 250g.

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 18, 2020