Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah that’s what breaks it for me. It’s cool and all but it’s probably like the 20th take lol.

It’s a promotional video for the bowling alley, why wouldn’t they have multiple takes until they got it perfect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Slash posted:

It’s a promotional video for the bowling alley, why wouldn’t they have multiple takes until they got it perfect?

I didn’t realize it was an advertisement.

I’ve seen it posted like 20 different places.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://twitter.com/owenadamsyt1/status/1369312312457375753

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

I didn’t realize it was an advertisement.

I’ve seen it posted like 20 different places.

What else would it be?. You really think they'd let a drone flying around non-suspecting people in bowling hall?
Just look at the 'acting' as well.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
there's a guy doing the Jesus ball washing thing from The Big Lebowski, of course it's staged lol

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Also the "this is bowling, there are rules..." quote.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I guess we were all wrong and this is the citizen Kane of drone videos

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/11/us/drone-bowling-alley.html

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I think it’s sick. There are tons of dudes posting nice silky smooth video shot with a cinewhoop with some generic edm over it but very little of it tells a story like that, and lets you understand the whole layout of the place in just 90 seconds.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Has anything about Nav Launch changed between INAV 2.5 and 2.6 that I should know about? I can't launch my AR Wing Mini for poo poo anymore. What used to be stable, level, reliable launches are now full of torque roll and pants crapping. I barely clear the ground if I'm lucky. Of course, I decided to push that luck further by doing several practice launches to see what might be wrong. Now I have to glue a bunch of broken form back together. It's as though self-leveling is much weaker or it's ignoring the launch angle setting altogether.

The only thing I had configured differently since 2.5 was my launch throttle, which was set to 55% when it was previously set to 60% (I wanted to see if I could make launches quieter and less dramatic by backing it off in 5% increments until I found power to be insufficient).

The Mini AR Wing is by far the favorite plane I own, so it's a shame this thing will likely be in a million pieces and beyond repair before I ever figure out what is wrong with it. I've had it for 9 mostly trouble-free months, so I find it hard to believe I all of a sudden suck at flying it.

Edit: I reverted to 2.5.1 and it's still doing it. I reduced launch throttle to 45%, and this time, tried throwing it with a running start, goggles off (if this value seems low, it's because I'm using this motor and the kv has to be a misprint because it absolutely screams at high throttle. 45% on 4S is roughly equivalent to 100% with the stock motor on 3S). I had much better luck with that launch technique, until I didn't. The final attempt, it dove back into the ground and wouldn't loving disarm the instant I told it to. Now my wing and canopy are all chopped up and beyond repair.

Upon reviewing the DVR footage, it exited Nav Launch prematurely five feet off the ground while pitched down and banked to the left, probably because one of the sticks moved during launch. In fact, all my launches are aborting much sooner than I realized. There really needs to be a filter to eliminate transient inputs like that. Then again, maybe I just instinctively pulled up on the stick and don't remember. I could just turn off that feature, but this needs to be idiot-proof and I don't trust myself to reach for the correct switch in a panic.

According to this, maybe nav_fw_launch_min_time is the best solution since the guide describes my exact situation. I fly in a relatively tight space, so this will only work if I can still explicitly abort launches by throwing the switch if I find myself going right for a tree or that Honda in the exact opposite direction I expected to be going during that 2-3 second window.

Edit 2: after some prop-off ground testing, it appears to do exactly this. It will also let me stop the motor if I zero the throttle during the nav_fw_min_launch_time window without ever exiting autolaunch, so I still have emergency control over that if all else fails.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 17, 2021

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Recently I bought a pair of the Cobra S goggles and a wolfwhoop camera to stick onto my rc crawler (scx24). Its been fun so far, but now obviously I'm interested in going fpv drone. I already have a mavic air which is cool, but the wind (and altitude?) seems to make it hard to fly. I'm in Denver Co.. maybe I just need new props. But I'd like to look at getting a fast/fun flyer.

Could ya'll suggest a good beginner control that I can use in linux for a simulator that would also be something to grow into a full fledge 3"?

Looking online, it seems like BETAFPV LiteRadio 2 SE or Taranis Q X7 are the good choices?
The $40 for the LiteRadio vs $140 has me leaning Beta but not if I'd have to just get a new one later...

Ive been enjoying getting into R/C stuff, but man every decision has a fork in the road.

deong fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 19, 2021

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
For a transmitter you probably want a Radiomaster TX16S, or similar. I have not confirmed Linux support, though, so double check.

E: check for a used TX16s, or Jumper T16, or similar vintage; unless you are strictly looking for budget

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 20, 2021

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Agreed, get a Radiomaster.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009
Thirded. I and a buddy both went with cheap radios and both now have radiomaster/jumper radios. If you end up not using it you can resell it for the majority of your purchase price

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Thanks y'all,
I was leaning that way, so good to know it would be worth just doing it.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
I'll be the dissenting opinion. I've owned a Taranis Q X7S since 2018, but tried a Jumper T16 several months ago. The color screen was nice to have, but only indoors. Everything else was worse. The whole radio felt cheaper (especially the buttons and dial) and the ergonomics didn't work for a thumber like me. The housing was just a little bit too tall, which means I had nowhere to comfortably rest my index fingers. Additionally, the placement of switches E and G interfered with my ability to use F and H, which was a problem when I needed to disarm immediately. This could have been resolved by locating them further inboard, but none of the other radio clones that came out after the T16 did that.

I suppose it's a matter of quality versus quantity. I would probably be right there with everybody else and would have bought a Radiomaster TX16S in ignorant bliss if I were getting into the hobby today. I landed on the X7S because one showed up on Craigslist for $130 when I was still using a FlySky FS-iA6, so of course I jumped on that.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 21, 2021

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
What do y'all think of touch screen smart controllers like the herelink or the skydroid h12?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

I also have a QX7S as my first radio. I haven’t tried the Jumper but the Radiomaster is definitely not a step down - although I do admit I have the MAX edition which has a few upgrades. I haven’t found the switch orientation to be a problem personally but flying quads I only use four switches anyway (the two 2-way lower ones on the back for arm and prearm and the left most and right most ones on the front for vtx power and beeper/crashflip) so it’s pretty easy to make the ergonomics work. I did upgrade the stick ends though. The stock radiomaster stick ends are trash.

The QX7S also needs a mod to work with crossfire properly (or it either shouts at you constantly about telemetry or you change the baud rate and add latency). That was one of my primary reasons to upgrade but I’m glad I did.

IMO the only radios worth buying new right now are a Radiomaster, a Tango 2 if you’re all Crossfire and like the game pad style, or the betafpv radio if you’re new and not sure this is for you longterm yet. Of course you can always find good deals on used stuff since people are constantly upgrading and that’s fine too.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

DreadLlama posted:

What do y'all think of touch screen smart controllers like the herelink or the skydroid h12?

Technically the Radiomaster has a touch screen too but opentx doesn’t make use of it yet :eng101:

I hadn’t heard of either of those, but I either fly FPV with goggles or DJI camera drones so I don’t think I’m really the target market for either one.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Where's the good forums for used tx? Or do i try ebay?
I'm in Denver, but my local craig's is empty.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

FB groups? (ew)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

evil_bunnY posted:

FB groups? (ew)

I just threw up in my mouth....
But i think you might be right. Sigh

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

FPV Marketplace on FB, local/regional FPV Facebook groups or Discord servers, or rcgroups.com.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

DreadLlama posted:

I set up a quad for a client with a herelink and QGCS and I think it loving sucks. It’s a half baked android tablet with lovely gimbals on the sides and a mediocre HD link built in that costs a lot of money. You couldn’t get through a lot of the QGCS settings because they didn’t fit on the screen because it’s a lovely port of the PC version. There’s a rocker wheel on the controller that broke. It’s a typical open source project with expensive hardware that was supposed to get finished later only it never did because it’s too expensive/not interesting to tinkerers. I mean I guess it’s “finished” in that it works and is stable but it feels janky and frustrating to actually use.

IMO for a serious commercial application where you want a transmitter, video downlink, and data downlink it’s best to have those as three separate things...monitor, RC transmitter, and a laptop with a telemetry link. If you really need it slick in one package, go DJI or Autel or something like that.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

i own every Bionicle posted:

I set up a quad for a client with a herelink and QGCS and I think it loving sucks. It’s a half baked android tablet with lovely gimbals on the sides and a mediocre HD link built in that costs a lot of money. You couldn’t get through a lot of the QGCS settings because they didn’t fit on the screen because it’s a lovely port of the PC version. There’s a rocker wheel on the controller that broke. It’s a typical open source project with expensive hardware that was supposed to get finished later only it never did because it’s too expensive/not interesting to tinkerers. I mean I guess it’s “finished” in that it works and is stable but it feels janky and frustrating to actually use.

IMO for a serious commercial application where you want a transmitter, video downlink, and data downlink it’s best to have those as three separate things...monitor, RC transmitter, and a laptop with a telemetry link. If you really need it slick in one package, go DJI or Autel or something like that.

Ah, but it's not open source and Philip Rowse will get very upset if he hears your comment. Better still, there's no HDMI output, so you have to use the tiny dinky screen and if you're operating planes/helis/rovers that doesn't have center throttle as neutral, you're screwed.

Here/ProfiCNC has a long histroy of releasing stuff that is mostly incomplete broken, despite claiming to be the most serious RPAS developer in the world. I'm not planning to buy any of their stuff again.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I'm really going for a "drone and all its assorted jank all go in the same suitcase" setup. That said, two questions. Can you use a dji smart controller without a dji flight controller? I've already invested in a CUAV flight controller. I'm not married to it but I would prefer not to have wasted the money I spent on it.

I can't find an autel radio on google. What is it called?

For context I'm trying to automate one of these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000433792390.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.3e153c00sCcU01&mp=1

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I understand that there is complex photogrammatic principles at work here but why can't the pix4D engine be better at like...water surfaces. poo poo just texture all that poo poo water and start at the shoreline please.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Water just moves too much is prob the simplified explanation

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

DreadLlama posted:

Can you use a dji smart controller without a dji flight controller?

Does the smart controller work on the FPV? It doesn't even work on the Mini 2, which saved me from spending $600 today at least

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I had the smart idea to babystep my way to autonomous seed planting via photogrammetry. "I'll learn how to make a grid pattern by mapping with a small drone and then doing grids with a big drone will be easy!"

*buys a mavic 2*
*learns nothing*

I blame DJI for making everything so polished and convenient that the alternatives seem obtuse by comparison. But then they go and charge $14,999US for an octocopter. Or, like you said, impose strange limits that discourage you from buying their stuff.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I believe the advice was to *build* a smaller drone....

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Look at it mocking me.

This is most of a Cheerson CX-20. I have to swap out the receiver that came with it and replace it with one that does telemetry. The CUAV nano is the 3rd flight controller I've had in it and it'll be going back to the #2 once I have a new drone for the CUAV.

I really want to like this radio: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001656586809.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.14493c00WmlsIr&mp=1
It's purportedly based off "Tower" aka droidplanner3, which is an android version of mission planner. It's probably exactly the same PC port mentioned earlier. It's funny because I literally just want DJI GS PRO. That program is perfect except it only works on dji drones.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
have a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NgiWL7QVec

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Getting back into the FPV quadcopter stuff. Last year I bought an Hyperlite Floss frame. This weekend I decided to assemble it, turns out the camera's too big. The supplied adapters need a 14x14mm type of camera, like these Runcam and Foxeer Nanos. Which model of that sort of size is considered the best?

(My 3D printer is out of commission, so it gotta fit the mount. Started an upgrade, but then slacked because :effort:, so it's mechanically sound, but there's no electronics wired up.)

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Getting back into the FPV quadcopter stuff. Last year I bought an Hyperlite Floss frame. This weekend I decided to assemble it, turns out the camera's too big. The supplied adapters need a 14x14mm type of camera, like these Runcam and Foxeer Nanos. Which model of that sort of size is considered the best?

(My 3D printer is out of commission, so it gotta fit the mount. Started an upgrade, but then slacked because :effort:, so it's mechanically sound, but there's no electronics wired up.)

if i had to pick a small camera, i'd probably go with a caddx baby ratel 2 right now, purely based on the regular Ratel i have that looks quite nice.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Can ya'll suggest a good sim?
I'd like to get a long range like the flywoo, but for now I picked up a Jumper T12. I use Linux but I have access to older macbook pro and a windows laptop. I have seen a few work on Linux tho..
A quick search I see Freerider, Freerider Recharged, Liftoff, VelociDrone have linux support.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Velocidrone is the one most used by the racing community here. You can really tell the guys who put in the time on the sim vs those that don't - guys go from brand new to hanging with the top pilots locally within 6-12 months instead of years.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Thanks.
Works with my xbox controller till i get batteries even.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You should use your radio in HID mode instead

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

evil_bunnY posted:

You should use your radio in HID mode instead

Yup, that's the plan. Pending batteries and I was antsy.
I have a DJI mini, so i'm not a total newb, but getting throttle control is tricky. Especially on the xbox since it springs to center hah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm interested in getting a drone that would be pretty much exclusively used to check out my gutters and roof every other month or so. That's all. It's a pain to get on the roof and I just want to make sure things are ok up there (be able to see it "for myself") and then call in a contractor if needed to fix stuff. I searched the thread, and this seemed to be the most relevant recent discussion on the subject...:

Jaded Burnout posted:

Budget probably caps out around £200. Anything more than that and it becomes an investment that needs to see more ongoing usage, becomes a bit of a boondoggle sort of thing.

Once I'm into renting, I may as well hire a roofer to do the inspection.

It's totally OK if my use case is impractical with what's on the market now, but it would be nice to be able to go "oh poo poo there's water ingress in this room, let's check the flashing on the nearby skylight" without having to set up an access tower or book in a roofer.

I do have a go pro knockoff floating around, but yeah I suspect there'll be far more hassle involved trying to rig something up.

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah makes sense. Check out the video I linked or one of his other reviews, if it looks good enough, that could be your solution.
This one for example looks a bit better and is £120.

Anyway, I'm in the USA. I know absolutely nothing about small home-use drones other than what shows up now and then in funny youtube clips. What would people recommend as a starter drone with a decent camera for taking pics or video of my house?