Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840763&pp=50

That is the build thread. The guy will gladly send you the plans.

I would really like a full 2m span DLG but they are so expensive. Maybe i'll mill out a mold someday but I cant justify the $500+ price for a kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I should scan some of the plans I have from the old british magazines. They used to give you a GOOD plan every month. Maybe two.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I finally gave in and bought a multiwii board with accelerometer, magentometer and barometer, so this thing will be able to fully stabilize itself in flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg99INoFcMw

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

well crap. I bought a new airplane.... Because hte old one was flying like a whale. I thought it was because I had to much weight on it. After buying the new plane, I investigated moving bits over from the old airplane to a new airframe.

I discovered that the elevator was torn, and the servo horns were all floppy. I fixed that last night, and it now flys well again!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Nerobro posted:

I discovered that the elevator was torn, and the servo horns were all floppy. I fixed that last night, and it now flys well again!

I had that happen to me on my AXN Floater Jet, where the control horn clamps slipped, and it caused me to crash my plane hard. I've got a new floater jet on order so that I can have a good one in addition to my frankenglider

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Oh the joys of a laser cutter.

Wings are something I hate. So I work on them first.

I got bored of wing building....

And after three hours of build time, I had this.

Tonight I finished sheeting the wing, and the fuselage.

I think I want to put pretty wing tips on it. I need to decide what servos to use, and what's going to power it.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
New video of that Japanese death sphere
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pF0uLnMoQZA!

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Just bought my first RC helicopter, a Syma S107 indoor helicopter, its lots of fun but can't lift my smallest camera (keychain cam).
At max it will lift 5 grams :)

So im shopping for a 4 channels outdoors heli, any recomendations ?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I picked up a parkzone UM sukhoi, and a DX6i.

I have very quickly learned that the interface on the DX6i sucks. :-) Beeping constantly, and click, press, wait, press, wait... wait some more... wade through poorly labeled menus, wait more...

Ugh. *stabs the radio*

I still haven't flown the DX6i yet.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I'm using a modded Turnigy 9x with smartieparts board in it, and then when I want a better spread-spectrum RX I'm going to get FrSky's JR module.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

After reading this thread and watching too many videos on youtube I've decided I really want a plane with autopilot, so I bought one of these: http://www.udrones.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=EXPCK1 . I got an airspeed sensor but no other options, am I likely to regret not spending the extra money on a magnetometre, telemetry, and sonar?

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Hooked up with another FPVer and flew Sunday. Did some formation flying and terrorized the LOS warbird flyers.

His vid, him chasing me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNiwgrQF4u4

My vid, me chasing him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jKUZDfIfWE

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I want to fly helicopters FPV. What's a good setup to start with? I want to fly with collective pitch. I suppose fixed pitch will work also, anything but coaxial.

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 3, 2011

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Suicide Watch posted:

I want to fly helicopters FPV. What's a good setup to start with? I want to fly with collective pitch. I suppose fixed pitch will work also, anything but coaxial.

Do you already fly collective pitch RC Heli's?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Multiroters are far better suited for FPV than conventional helicopters.

But as has already been asked can you currently fly helicopters or airplanes?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Unless you like the challenge of collective pitch, multi-rotors are really the way to go. If I had money, I'd hunt down a open pilot board (~100) and build a nice MR that can lift a decent payload.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

helno posted:

Multiroters are far better suited for FPV than conventional helicopters.

But as has already been asked can you currently fly helicopters or airplanes?

I don't understand why people think multirotors are any better. Instead of having the main shaft, and body of the heli providing some dampening you're directly attaching high frequency noisemakers to your camera platform. To make a conventional heli shake free you just need to balance two blades. You don't need to worry about interaction between rotors. You have a larger swept area for longer flight times.

Multirotors also have the distinct disadvantage of being utterly unstable. If you add the sort of stabilization you need to keep a quadcopter flying to a conventional heli you'll have a camera platform that rivals a steadycam. You'd wonder why the film industry never thought of that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1D3fvltj4Q&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...559l0.1.3.2l6l0

Oh wait, they did... and have since the early 80s.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

ease posted:

Unless you like the challenge of collective pitch, multi-rotors are really the way to go. If I had money, I'd hunt down a open pilot board (~100) and build a nice MR that can lift a decent payload.

I really just want the challenge of flying collective pitch. I won't be able to get a rotorwing license for many years so I figure this would probably be the next best thing.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Nerobro posted:

I don't understand why people think multirotors are any better. Instead of having the main shaft, and body of the heli providing some dampening you're directly attaching high frequency noisemakers to your camera platform. To make a conventional heli shake free you just need to balance two blades. You don't need to worry about interaction between rotors. You have a larger swept area for longer flight times.

Multirotors also have the distinct disadvantage of being utterly unstable. If you add the sort of stabilization you need to keep a quadcopter flying to a conventional heli you'll have a camera platform that rivals a steadycam. You'd wonder why the film industry never thought of that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1D3fvltj4Q&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...559l0.1.3.2l6l0

Oh wait, they did... and have since the early 80s.

Lots of pros have switched to MR platforms. I think there are plenty of advantages to MR and these guys have realized them a while ago.

http://www.gravityshots.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L75ESD9PBOw

ease fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 5, 2011

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I'm not buying it.

What are the advantages. What advantages would be there if you put the same sort of gyroscopic stabilization on a conventional heli?

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

That is rather cool. Also, interestingly enough for me at least, the company that built that contraption is right down the road from my workplace!

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
A CP heli would be awesome as hell, I've wanted to build a 450 for awhile now. The reason most people aren't into them as much for FPV is just because MRs are pretty new and with all the electronics they make a pretty badass platform for really stable shots. Aerial photographers use 6 or 8 rotor copters for their big HD rigs with impressive results. Check out Got Aerial, no wonder the lobbies against commercial UAV use has heated up, these guys with a $2k rig can make videos that used to cost tens of thousands. Imagine how cheap a UAV traffic reporting would be.

On top of that they're safer than CPs because they just use plastic props 6 - 10 inches instead of a massive carbon prop that will slice a person into many pieces. They're not the safest things though. An FPV pilot should always be aware of what you're flying over and the damage you could do.

CPs are awesome because:
-Way faster
-Fly more like a plane, high speed fast turns, dive, roll, etc. MRs have a lot of problems with descending and flying into their own propwash.
-You have hope if you lose power, you can attempt to auto-rotate with some control. When an MR loses a motor it's catastrophic.
-Run-time, I think you can get about 15 mins out of a 450 sized heli while a similar quad will do about 7.
-Better in wind because the CP can almost react instantaneously whereas the MR needs to spool up or down the rotors to react, the bigger it is the slower it reacts.

Check out this thread for the most badass CP FPV heli I've seen:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?669-T-rex-450-fpv-pimped

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Suicide Watch posted:

I really just want the challenge of flying collective pitch. I won't be able to get a rotorwing license for many years so I figure this would probably be the next best thing.
If you want to get into collective pitch, the best cheap way is with a 450-class kit. Get two kits to start with so you'll have spare parts on hand. I'd also suggest getting a KDS Flymentor stabilization system to help reduce your likelyhood of crashing. By all means find a local club where there's somebody else who's already flying collective heli's and get their help on learning to fly. It's a really really steep learning curve.

Once you're comfortable with hovering in place (an amazingly difficult task!) and you want to start adding a camera rig you'll want to build a 500-class heli or bigger so that you'll have the added stability and weight-carrying capacity. Bigger = more stable = more expensive.

These guys are incredibly stupid and that craft is amazingly unsafe. The pilot is sitting level with the props. That's right up there with looking down the barrel of a gun.

Nerobro posted:

I'm not buying it.

What are the advantages. What advantages would be there if you put the same sort of gyroscopic stabilization on a conventional heli?
Heavier lift-to-weight ratios. Y6/X8 configs have redundant propellers to help land safely during motor/prop failure. Multirotor boards already have gyroscopic rate limiting built into them, and auto-leveling is a simple addition of an accelerometer. No single top rotor means you can mount a tall vertical antennae for FPV video transmission more easily. Also multirotor setups can have an extremely flat profile so you can fly them in more places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrvAMyobsAw

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 6, 2011

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

If you're flying someplace, an antenna down is just as effective as an antenna up, and you'll be further from the noise of all the speed controls. Hell, mount your antenna on the end of the tail rotor for some serious electrical quiet.

Any electro-trickery you have on a multi rotor heli will translate happily to a single rotor craft. (I'm saying if you put one of those advanced gyro stabilized boards in a single rotor heli you'll have a more stable platform.)

I will not buy that the vertical dimension of either sort of aircraft is any limit to where you're flying it.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Nerobro posted:

I'm not buying it.

Electrical complexity > Mechanical complexity

If you add stabilisation to a CP helicopter you now have all the added electrical complexity without gettting rid of any of the mechanical complexity. Also multi rotors do not have any sort of coupling between axis which single rotors have in droves.

As has been said before as you add more motors you actually increase reliability because you are getting away from single points of failure. I have seen multiple CP helis crash due to failed control linkages.

Vibration really isnt an issue with modern mounting systems. No power wasted in gear reduction drives or tail rotor drives.

Seems pretty clear cut to me. You can get a KK board clone from Hobbyking for $20 and build a multicopter with that board for less than $200.

SOOOOepic
Feb 11, 2009
You guys are awesome! I really like what I've seen you guys doing.

This is My align T-Rex 600

A few Specs:
53 inch main rotor diameter
13.4-14 lbs depending on lens set up (stock weight 5lbs)
2 22.2v 3300 mAh batteries power the main rotor for a whooping 4-6 minute flight time
til pan gimbal head with a Canon 5D mkII
the gimbal is controlled by a second operator
I'm Flying with a DX8 and a DX6I

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Vitamin J posted:

This is really cool. Nice work.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I am looking to get my brother some sort of airplane kit for christmas. I was just going to get the harbor freight one, but I am betting there are better bang for my buck out there, I remember someone asking this a while back and can't find it anywhere.

I would spend around $100 and who knows if he would even be interested in flying, but I would rather get something that doesn't suck for him to play with.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Are you any good at soldering? (simple wire-to-plug stuff) Getting into RC for the long-haul works best if you start off buying things that you can re-use across multiple craft, like getting a good radio controller.

Otherwise, here's a kit that's got 99% of what you would need:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16542__Hobbyking_Bixler_EPO_1400mm_RTF_Mode_2_Throttle_Left_Radio_.html

You'll need a 12v DC adapter for the charger that's included in that box. A lot of RC chargers are designed so that you can run them off your car battery in between flights. Here is some foam-safe glue so you don't melt the plane:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16427__Maxi_Cure_Extra_Thick_Pocket_CA_3_4_oz_USA_Warehouse_.html

If you're looking for a more exhaustive list with stuff that's more beater-friendly, I can draw up something else for you. The suggestion above is simply the "easiest list to buy, shortest path to getting into the air" list. I'd suggest staying away from the harbor freight kit because those kits usually don't have parts that you can use on other planes. It's a disposable one-use thing instead of a collection of parts that you can use across all your planes. (IE wasted money on non-reusable parts)

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 6, 2011

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

As much as hobbyking being stupid cheap rocks, they are also not based in the us, and you're not going to get repair parts fast. Your best money would be on a parkzone ultra micro champ or cub from the local hobby shop. The champ may get you out for less than $100 with tax. The cub will be a little steeper. Both are three channel rigs, which makes them a lot easier to fly. If he likes it, he can use the same transmitter on the mcx, msr, helicopters, and a bunch of 4 chanel airplanes later.

Truthfully, I would go the heli route. $80 buys you a mcx, radio, charger, and battery. And that radio will work with a dozen other models. The big benifit of the heli is indoor flight, he can fly any time,not just in calm conditions.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Here's the thing about size: bigger is more stable, which makes it easier to learn on. A micro plane is a poor choice for flying outdoors because the wind will make it very unstable.

Yes, hobbyking is primarily based out of china, but the items I picked are In their USA drop shipping warehouse. It's also an epo foam plane so instead of waiting for repair parts, you glue or tape any broken foam, and if you have any electronics failure you just source those parts locally for cheap from the local hobby shop or online like nitroplanes.com . Parkzone makes great stuff but they're no different when it comes to farming all their manufacturing to china. Also the spektrum radio that the champ comes with isn't anything amazing to write home about. I'd say differently of it were the dx6i or dx7. Even then dsm2 isn't special anymore. Frsky is at least on par with dsmx and cost less than half the price.

Coaxial micro heli are loving great indoors though. Damned fun on a rainy day.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 7, 2011

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

At this point price defines size. I would recomend something 30" or bigger for learning. Something small enough to bounce, big enough to not be a twitch fest.

I learned on 2m gliders. They were gentle in yaw, vicious in pitch. :-)

I think the best gift is a coaxial heli. It won't be dead on the first flight.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Nerobro posted:

At this point price defines size. I would recomend something 30" or bigger for learning. Something small enough to bounce, big enough to not be a twitch fest.

I learned on 2m gliders. They were gentle in yaw, vicious in pitch. :-)

I think the best gift is a coaxial heli. It won't be dead on the first flight.

Yeah, the Bixler I linked to is 55" wide, and it's a decent plane to learn on with okay glide characteristics. If they're more willing to learn to glue all the parts together I would have suggested an AXN Floater Jet, as it's probably got some of the best flying characteristics I've seen for a glider/trainer, and they handle crashes and repairs really well too. It's just a bit more of a pain because you have to bring your own ESC, battery, servos, Tx/Rx, and that can be a bit daunting for somebody expecting to open the box and throw something in the air.

Seconding the coaxial heli as starter-bait crack. They're brain-dead simple to fly.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I am liking that bixler, it looks better than the harbor freight ones. I am fine with soldering though, so if there is something better that just needs soldering I could do that too.

I had a few crappy helis and didn't like them. They were air hog ones with only up-down and rotate though, so you couldn't do much with them. I had much more fun with my air hog plane.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

blindjoe posted:

I am liking that bixler, it looks better than the harbor freight ones. I am fine with soldering though, so if there is something better that just needs soldering I could do that too.

I had a few crappy helis and didn't like them. They were air hog ones with only up-down and rotate though, so you couldn't do much with them. I had much more fun with my air hog plane.

Here's my plane of choice: AXN Floater-Jet

The only parts you need to buy separately are:
  • Radio controller and receiver
  • Brushless motor speed controller ("ESC")
  • 4 servos ~9g
  • A battery - somewhere between 1300-2200mah 11.1v LiPoly (3-cell)
  • LiPo charger

The nice part about this approach is that the charger, battery, transmitter and receiver are portable between your different planes. It is more expensive up front than getting the RTF Bixler kit though. Here's what my list would look like:

AXN Floater-Jet airframe + motor: $50 + s/h (~$60 total from hobbyking)

From hobbypartz.com in California:
Free shipping, total from hobbypartz: $107.67

Total overall: ~$170

With that in mind, I would get the Bixler read-to-fly kit first to see if it really is your kind of hobby, and then if you're serious about getting stuff that you can use across multiple planes, get the Floater-Jet like I listed above but with a better multi-model-memory radio. Even then the Floater-Jet is "cheap" by comparison. Once you get comfortable with flying and putting the planes together (and repairing crashes) then you can get into building your own planes out of foamcore board or getting into building wood airfoils like Nerobro did above. That's when it becomes important to have a good charger and a good radio that can store settings for multiple radios.

Here's my thoughts on the Bixler:
It's got a lot of really great features for a first powered glider: Big wingspan, roomy inside, easy to work on. But the low entry cost does mean that they saved cost by putting in cheaper components than you would put in yourself (like on the floater-jet). The ESC and servos that it comes with are adequate but certainly not something I'd choose to put in another model. The wings are joined & stiffened with a 4mm carbon fiber spar that runs down the center of each wing, and the spar that ships with the plane itself is -really cheap- quality. Make sure to dial-down the response rate of the radio so that you don't try to do any hardcore loops or tight turns or you can "fold the wings" where the carbon spar splinters and the wings lose rigidity. BUT if you can keep your impulses under control and make sure to fly it gently, it'll fly beautifully.

Check out Flitetest's youtube channel - they have a lot of fun episodes with plenty of good information. The "Bixler" is actually named after the straight-man of flitetest. Here's their flight review of it. (build review video)

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 7, 2011

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

blindjoe posted:

That's the point. They're crappy helis. This is not:
http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=EFLH2200

And... how about lets talk a little about what I am up to:

Well that's some parts... They're going to go in a DLG. Hopefully this: http://www.pcm.at/english/Nano/index.html

helno
Jun 19, 2003

My MiMi DLG is still sitting on the side of my work bench 95% complete.

I kind of lost the urge to complete it once the weather turned to poo poo and the indoor season started.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Indoor season?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrxNzRIeTPY

Another local FPVer saw my scratchbuilds and wants me to build him a Jackal with a 1200mm wingspan. The kicker: he's gonna buy enough 6mm EPP and electronics for two planes, and I just have to build him one :D!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Bixler kit on its way.
Lets hope it gets here so I don't have to give a picture of an airplane.