Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Here's a dumb question - I have a Quest 2, and I know I can cast from my phone to the headset so I can kinda bullshit FPV with my Mavic Mini. Is there any way to use the Quest 2 in a way that would give me head tracking, so I can look up and down and have the drone track with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
In light of the current conversations something interesting happened today. I live in a shallow valley in the TX hillcountry with my house situated near a creek at the low point. Today an ultralight flew extremely low over the hills south of me, across the valley, over my house, and passed about 50-80ft ft above my neighbors house that is on a hill north of me. Thankfully I wasn't flying a drone but he was well under 400ft and I'm almost wondering if he took off from a neighbors ranch. I'll be watching to see if he comes back this way. Hopefully it's not going to be a regular thing.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

gently caress a fed, I fly how, when, and where I want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60L_j6q-KoY

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Atticus_1354 posted:

In light of the current conversations something interesting happened today. I live in a shallow valley in the TX hillcountry with my house situated near a creek at the low point. Today an ultralight flew extremely low over the hills south of me, across the valley, over my house, and passed about 50-80ft ft above my neighbors house that is on a hill north of me. Thankfully I wasn't flying a drone but he was well under 400ft and I'm almost wondering if he took off from a neighbors ranch. I'll be watching to see if he comes back this way. Hopefully it's not going to be a regular thing.

I might be wrong, but I believe ultralights can fly at really low altitudes but can't fly over populated areas, so sounds like someone was doing the wrong thing!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Splode posted:

I might be wrong, but I believe ultralights can fly at really low altitudes but can't fly over populated areas, so sounds like someone was doing the wrong thing!

He was probably legal depending on how legal it is to fly directly over a house and this area isn't exactly populated. Just surprised me and shows how hard it is to share the airspace. He also better be careful because he wouldn't be the first one to get low around here and have a nice controlled flight into terrain.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
how long does it take from starting this hobby until I can be like the guy who built a scale model r/c b-29 that drops a scale model, rocket-powered r/c Bell X-1

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Atticus_1354 posted:

He was probably legal depending on how legal it is to fly directly over a house and this area isn't exactly populated. Just surprised me and shows how hard it is to share the airspace. He also better be careful because he wouldn't be the first one to get low around here and have a nice controlled flight into terrain.

Part 103 ultralights (i.e. under 254 pounds, don't need a license) have no minimum altitude restrictions, the argument being that they stall at like 20 mph and can land in a baseball field so it's easier for them to make a safe emergency landing. They do have the catch-all rule that the aircraft may not be operated in a way that creates a hazard to people or property on the surface.

The FAA uses the term "congested area" to refer to built-up areas, but specifically does not define exactly what it is. In various cases it has meant cities, beaches covered in tourists, crowds at airshows, etc. One farmhouse is generally not going to be considered a congested area. There's also the part 91 rule (technically doesn't apply to ultralights, but anyway) that you are allowed to fly lower than a minimum altitude restriction if required for taking off or landing.

But you're right, it's surprising how many things there are going on in the air that you aren't aware of until you start trying to fly stuff there yourself. It's not just a big empty sky.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Thanks for the rundown on that. It's helpful to know what rules everyone else up there is supposed to be playing by also. And I'm calling it an ultralight because I think that's the category it falls in to but it was on the bigger side of that. I wish I had gotten a picture but he didn't come back by while I was home.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Greg12 posted:

how long does it take from starting this hobby until I can be like the guy who built a scale model r/c b-29 that drops a scale model, rocket-powered r/c Bell X-1

5-10 years if you want to build them from wood and fiberglass, with gas engines, and dire consequences for failure.

6 months if you want to hack together pieces of poo poo from foam board and 3D printed crap and hot glue.

Both avenues are fun as hell

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I haven’t flown my Mavic in a while and I was really surprised when I went to charge the batteries up and neither of them would charge! Like they aren’t even two years old.

Luckily DJI will replace batteries for free so I just shipped them off and should get some replacements in a few weeks.

I’m just glad I didn’t have to shell out for new batteries since the OEM ones seem to be going for about $100 each.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

i own every Bionicle posted:

5-10 years if you want to build them from wood and fiberglass, with gas engines, and dire consequences for failure.

6 months if you want to hack together pieces of poo poo from foam board and 3D printed crap and hot glue.

Both avenues are fun as hell

whoa. I didn't know the "flying garbage" route was available.

what are some convenient google terms to get me going?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Here is a good place to start:
https://www.flitetest.com/

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

So I haven’t flown my Mavic in a while and I was really surprised when I went to charge the batteries up and neither of them would charge! Like they aren’t even two years old.

Luckily DJI will replace batteries for free so I just shipped them off and should get some replacements in a few weeks.

I’m just glad I didn’t have to shell out for new batteries since the OEM ones seem to be going for about $100 each.

Did you store your batteries empty or full? Both are bad for long term health. Chemical changes in li-ion batteries can happen in about a week of being stored fully charged or drained which will start to impact their ability to hold a charge. They'll also self discharge over time so they could've fallen to damaging low voltage.

Storage charge them down to 3.8ish volts per cell when you're not going to use them in the next few days.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rontalvos posted:

Did you store your batteries empty or full? Both are bad for long term health. Chemical changes in li-ion batteries can happen in about a week of being stored fully charged or drained which will start to impact their ability to hold a charge. They'll also self discharge over time so they could've fallen to damaging low voltage.

Storage charge them down to 3.8ish volts per cell when you're not going to use them in the next few days.

Honestly I’m not sure.

I’ll start doing that from now on though. I’m just surprised they both ended up doing that when I have a lot of other electronics that are older and just fine :shrug:

Hopefully my new batteries come in soon so I can fly again.

Although there was another update which drastically increased the NFZ near my house so I have to walk a lot more to fly the drat thing.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Greg12 posted:

whoa. I didn't know the "flying garbage" route was available.
what are some convenient google terms to get me going?
Yeah building airplanes out of dollar tree foamboard was what got me into the hobby. It's fuckin' great. There's a lot of different plans in different styles of planes to be able to let you try out virtually anything with wings you want to fly. The foam board planes fare slightly worse in a crash than commercial EPP foam planes, but not enough to justify spending so much more money on them. It takes a lot of pressure off you when learning to fly when you'll be out like $5-10 at the most in a crash as long as you can get the parts back. DTFB planes don't last as long as the EPP ones in just general non-crashing use. EPP planes will last virtually forever if you don't crash them, and DTFB planes slowly get a little soft and loose over dozens of flights. I usually just fly more aggressively (how low can I fly inverted!) at that point so I can crash it and collect the parts for something new. You'll have about $50 worth of RC equipment inside the plane, and at least another $50 for the transmitter, but the planes are really cheap to make and I've designed several myself too.

Funny that you said "flying garbage" because I took a model I made to an AMA field to fly and was told by another member that I couldn't fly there because my plane was "literal garbage". I flew anyway and when he crashed his EDF on takeoff I had to hold back the smug "No, *that's* literal garbage" comment.

DTFB planes fly just as well as any other plane at that size and it is a lot more fun to have a plane of the month instead of blowing all your money on a $150-200 model that you're stuck with and even a single part replacement would cost more than my whole plane.

A good list of the FliteTest plans are here. My first plane was the FT Arrow which lasted about a whole 20 seconds of flight across like 5 launches, but the FT Tiny Trainer is what I actually learned to fly on. The Mini Scout (not the Simple Scout) is also very easy to fly in low wind and also is only a single sheet of foam.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I wish you guys had fun AMA clubs in your area. The fun of flying for me is doing it with other people with like interests, then fly and break each other’s balls and have a beer. At any club I belong to, if somebody showed up with a cobbled together foamboard thing we would want to see if it would fly, then probably want to build one ourselves, even with thousands of dollars of gas wood airplanes to fly as well. As long as you don’t do anything dangerous or obstructive and pay your dues you are welcome. Being able to take a joke also helps.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Rontalvos posted:

so for a mavic air 2 battery do I charge it half way or something before storing it?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Kuvo posted:

so for a mavic air 2 battery do I charge it half way or something before storing it?

DJI batteries include an integrated management board that will discharge them to storage charge if they aren’t used after a few days. Check the manual for the battery, it’s in there :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kuvo posted:

Charge it up to above half. Within a day or so it will begin discharging to a storage voltage automatically.

It’s both a very nice and very annoying feature.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well it definitely didn’t save my two batteries!

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
That's pretty advanced, maybe it's just the mavic mini 2 which only came out last April? But I'm no DJI expert, I fly freestyle quads.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Rontalvos posted:

That's pretty advanced, maybe it's just the mavic mini 2 which only came out last April? But I'm no DJI expert, I fly freestyle quads.

Nah, that goes back to the original mavic

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Yeah it's definitely more annoying than useful. I mean chances are I'm going to upgrade my drone every 2-3 years anyway. There's no way that there would be a meaningful decrease in battery capacity from storing them charged, unless you literally only fly your drone 3-4x per year. But there's a very meaningful increase in my forgetting to charge that poo poo and then having no battery when I grab the drone to go somewhere.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I’ll start doing that from now on though. I’m just surprised they both ended up doing that when I have a lot of other electronics that are older and just fine :shrug:
Just put them away on 3/4 charge, they'll last a lot longer.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I take back what I said about DJI lol

They want full retail to replace the two batteries.

Their website said it was free but drat that’s a lot for two batteries.

I’d give them $50 each sure.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pffff, buy em off amazon

What happened that you need them to replace two batteries?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Pffff, buy em off amazon

What happened that you need them to replace two batteries?

Both batteries just up and wouldn’t charge. I bought them both in summer 2018.

:shrug:

Off to Amazon I guess!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What's the real world lifespan of a battery like that

In my mind it would seem that the chemistry prefers at least a 25% charge/discharge every 3 months or so, but will put up with sitting on a shelf at 50% for a year

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

You know how bruce goes on about how harmless drones are to aviation?

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias...ripulante.shtml
Good thing the PIC sits on the right in a 206.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I take back what I said about DJI lol

They want full retail to replace the two batteries.

Their website said it was free but drat that’s a lot for two batteries.

I’d give them $50 each sure.
LMAO $100 for a lovely 3s pack with a little charge controller.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You know how bruce goes on about how harmless drones are to aviation?

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias...ripulante.shtml
Good thing the PIC sits on the right in a 206.

Here you go
https://youtu.be/kP_VSA2aM4o

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I thought he was ramping up a bunch of quads in the background, but that's just the sounds of the goalposts moving.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I lasted about 20 seconds. He's a loving idiot and he's doing the drone community a big disservice with his crazy rants.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 28, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i watched it right up until:

"alright, i'm gonna take you back a little bit, let's look at some of the history."
(pause for breath)
"THE MEDIA--"

ctrl-W

e: i clicked through a few random points and these were literally the phrases that i heard

"grossly overstated"
"and nobody has died!"
"trying to create a world where no one can hurt themselves"
"i don't think the injuries were critical"

get hosed

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 28, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What a fuckin moron.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
That's a mavic 2. Aren't they equipped with ADS-B?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mavic air 2’s have Ads-b receivers in them, yeah

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Don't they have a buttload of obstacle avoidance sensors too?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

Don't they have a buttload of obstacle avoidance sensors too?

Not enough to avoid a helicopter flying at 120knots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Sorry if "recommend me a drone" gets asked every two pages but I don't really know anything about them and my dad asked me to help him.

Basically we are grain farmers with a fairly small beef cattle operation on the side. We're generally too busy during the rest of the year to bother with calving so dad times it so the calves are born in February-March. We have to keep an eye on the cows to make sure they're not having difficulties giving birth or make sure any just born calves aren't freezing to death when it's really cold. This involves a lot of walking around in fenced off fields of corn stalks in the bitter cold looking for babies. Dad wants a drone so he doesn't have to do as much walking/can cover more ground/see better from the air.

He said he'd be willing to pay $1500-2000 (less is fine too!) Is there anything in that price ranges that's reasonably easy to fly, has a range of at least 1/2 a mile (preferably a mile or more), has a decent camera capable of seeing fairly long distances, and can operate for 20+ minutes in freezing temperatures? I know batteries don't play well in cold temps so that might be the big issue unless there's models with like, heated battery packs or something. Temperatures usually stay above 15F here in the winter but occasionally it gets as low as -10F if that matters. The camera being able to see well in low-light conditions would be a big plus too although I assume actual night vision would cost a few thousand dollars extra at least.

Other than a previous roommate showing me his DJI Phantom very briefly I know very little about current drone tech and what it's capable of so I'm not sure if this set of requirements is totally ridiculous or no problem at all.