Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I bought a Mavic Pro :dance:

My entire city is one huge no fly zone :doh:

The weird thing is looking at their no fly zone maps on their website it shouldn't be one. Oh well It would have been nice to use some of the parks near my house.

Also holy poo poo this thing is fun / scary to fly. I've only taken it out once but I'm in love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

n.. posted:

I'm jealous. I bought a Spark on release like an idiot and sure enough it's got issues (RC won't stay connected, pretty widespread problem on the forums). Just got a refund, maybe I'll buy another in a few minutes when they get their poo poo together. Tempted to get a Mavic but the spark is just so god damned portable.

Yeah I looked at the Spark but then I found a Mavic on the Amazon warehouse for 800 so I jumped on it. The drat thing was brand new except for a dent in the box. The only issue I'm having is that I can't buy DJI refresh on it for some reason so I'm going back and forth with their support on that issue.

The Mavic is really small though It goes in my backpack with plenty of room to spare. Once I get the refresh issue sorted out I'm really going to take this thing out and play with it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bigsteve posted:

Any Dji drone users here also use litchi? I bought an nvidia shield tablet to use but dji go is a terrible app on it and will crash regularly.

I'm just wondering if I use litchi instead will I run into issues?

All I really want is stable video and app performance.

I've heard that the dji android app just isn't very good on some devices. I haven't had any issues using it on ios.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bigsteve posted:

This would be the preferred option but for me ios is just a little expensive for me.

If I have to bite the bullet I will I guess. But £20 for litchi would be worth it if anyone has used it.

I've heard great things about it but I haven't used it yet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TescoBag posted:

Hey I bought a Mavic pro as a bit of a split second decision. Was it a good idea?

I love mine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone had the chance to play with a Tello yet? It seems like a pretty nifty little drone for $99.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

I've been tempted to grab one just to see but haven't brought myself to do it.

Yeah I mean I already have a mavic (but I loving live in an airport zone so I can’t fly it anywhere near my house) but it the Tello seems kinda nifty and I already have a controller for my phone.

The picture quality seems pretty good too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I haven’t flown my Mavic in a while and I was really surprised when I went to charge the batteries up and neither of them would charge! Like they aren’t even two years old.

Luckily DJI will replace batteries for free so I just shipped them off and should get some replacements in a few weeks.

I’m just glad I didn’t have to shell out for new batteries since the OEM ones seem to be going for about $100 each.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rontalvos posted:

Did you store your batteries empty or full? Both are bad for long term health. Chemical changes in li-ion batteries can happen in about a week of being stored fully charged or drained which will start to impact their ability to hold a charge. They'll also self discharge over time so they could've fallen to damaging low voltage.

Storage charge them down to 3.8ish volts per cell when you're not going to use them in the next few days.

Honestly I’m not sure.

I’ll start doing that from now on though. I’m just surprised they both ended up doing that when I have a lot of other electronics that are older and just fine :shrug:

Hopefully my new batteries come in soon so I can fly again.

Although there was another update which drastically increased the NFZ near my house so I have to walk a lot more to fly the drat thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well it definitely didn’t save my two batteries!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I take back what I said about DJI lol

They want full retail to replace the two batteries.

Their website said it was free but drat that’s a lot for two batteries.

I’d give them $50 each sure.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Pffff, buy em off amazon

What happened that you need them to replace two batteries?

Both batteries just up and wouldn’t charge. I bought them both in summer 2018.

:shrug:

Off to Amazon I guess!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What a fuckin moron.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah how is like no one looking at this thing? It seems faked.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah no ones looking because they’re all in on it.

Still seems unlikely it’s 100% as real as it seems

Yeah that’s what breaks it for me. It’s cool and all but it’s probably like the 20th take lol.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Slash posted:

It’s a promotional video for the bowling alley, why wouldn’t they have multiple takes until they got it perfect?

I didn’t realize it was an advertisement.

I’ve seen it posted like 20 different places.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Furious George posted:

I done this a few months ago, I don't really know about it tbh. I find most drone landscape vids on youtube intensely boring no matter how incredible the landscape so tried to do something a bit different. Need a bit more practice and another attempt to get it super smooth but uh...the farmer..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVZA0XaY9Ew

That is really cool and good!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is pretty good.

Tips m’fedora

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nomad2020 posted:

Couldn’t find a combo shirt, but this one gets the general vibe across.

That’s a pretty good shirt lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

drowningidiot posted:

lmao so I guess this guy is facing a pretty big fine and maybe even jail time

https://youtu.be/elHhJr9yb1o

It’s from 8 months ago? Something would have happened by now I assume.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LOL fuckin dumbasses

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Please tell me the food was from McDonalds

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Ugh, that sucks and I do worry about even my DJI branded batteries, since they're going on 4 years old now.

I’m still kinda bitter about my 3 DJI batteries taking a poo poo at 3 years. Just straight up dead and won’t hold a charge.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Opinionated posted:

I watched that video yesterday and loved it! For anyone interested it's a red bull f1 promotion they filmed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pEqyr_uT-k

This is cool as gently caress.

slidebite posted:

I legit thought that was CG for the first bit.

Yeah same.

That’s a legit drone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I got my mini 4 pro drone and I went to register it as a standard remote id (due to the battery weight). I had read that the cost is $5 but when I go to register, it shows $50. I changed the options and it only went to $40.

Bidenflation! :argh:

I’m not sure what you did wrong but it should be $5.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I went back through and found the FAA Drone Zone page. Apparently, Google is such poo poo right now that instead of leading to that page, searching for “FAA Drone Registration” lead to some random page that tried to charge me $50 for what included stickers and a lanyard.

Yeah this should be what you are looking for if you didn’t already find it.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/register_drone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lmao