Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
https://imgur.com/gallery/d2ckJIz

Stay safe out there folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I decided to play with FPV quads. I've got several years of electric fixed wing flying and had a couple of collective pitch helis I sucked at, but still finding the stick feel very challenging to get ahold of after a week or two of playing with sims and an acrobee. Mostly I'm astounded by how slow and precise everyone on youtube can fly tiny whoop variants around their houses; mine wants to accelerate like crazy in any direction and holding altitude is difficult. I'm still messing with rates to make it less aggressive.

How long did it take you guys to get over the hump of generally being able to put a quad where you want it? Even flying LOS this is quite challenging and I can't wait to get to where I can have some fun.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
The sim quads definitely have more authority than the whoop, but the issue is fundamentally the same: my thumbs don't know how to have finesse enough to prevent the thing from building up a ton of speed. Also negotiating the roll-pitch coupling produced by the up-angled camera is still pretty weird.

I am flying acro. Rates are lowered a ton. Seems to me that there is a midpoint on throttle for an OGE hover that is about 0.0001" wide, below that it descends and above that it climbs. Outdoors with even a very light breeze it's tough to keep below roof level without hitting the ground. There is some wacky yaw drift which randomly happens on throttle application. I just realized the vtx was on 1mw instead of 25mw so this may improve my usable range for future packs.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Thanks guys. Babyhawk plain or R? I'm surprised that there are no used ones for either model on ebay; either they die fast or people like em enough to keep.

I've been thumbing planes for years, trying pinching will have to be a last resort because of how morally wrong it is.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
First time with the Babyhawk at a local park was great fun. I need more than one battery, holy crap they go fast. Wearing goggles in public is embarrassing. I also put a few packs through the Acrobee which was fun, but so small that it becomes challenging to find it even in grass.

Setup was fairly easy, except that I'm 90% packed for a move next week and few of my tools/supplies were available. Hot glue solves almost everything. I soldered the XM+ receiver in, fumbled through flash and setup, then figured out how to put the babyhawk, my acrobee, and the goggle receiver on the same band. Getting my taranis inputs to show up in Betaflight was an equal amount of fumbling guesswork until I had receiver checked on the right uart, and receiver type as sbus.

Fatshark DVR just beeps at me when I try to record so I dunno what's going on there. Kind of disappointed that the whoop has full OSD capability but the baby has none so I couldn't adjust anything at the field. The first time I was confident enough to do a flip I saw an uncommanded 90 degree yaw at the end which fired me right into a metal railing. Bent one prop and prop guard back into shape and continued flying fine for a few more packs without issue. Gonna need to stock up on batteries and props, especially once my kids start wrecking this thing!

Anyone have an amazon choice for adhesive foam for making like a battery mounting pad on the frame?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I plugged in my babyhawk battery today and, apparently, the quad-side JST connector had wiggled loose after one day of crashing allowing the leads to touch each other resulting in much smoke and melting connectors. gently caress. I've used JSTs in my rocket stuff for years and never had this problem, really weird. Board seems fine in betaflight but it'll have to wait until I get ahold of some replacement JST male and female leads to see if it all still works.

Also tonight I realized that the fatshark balance lead is a fake lead to power the fan, which apparently is not powered by the main power connector? Fatsharks seem really janky so far given their pricing. Still not getting a blinking light indicator for dvr recording, but I haven't checked out the actual card yet.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
In the middle of moving out, my whoop name becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. I am not in control of this machine enough to do it intentionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBL4tf7Crrs

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFdPRjcNdlA

Finally replaced my babyhawk fc. I am a competent solderer but what a pain in the rear end that was to undo and redo.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Been loving the babyhawk these last couple of weeks now that it’s actually working, thanks again for that recommendation. I spent some time trying to diagnose why I’d get a random full rate yaw input during every battery and tracked it down to a taranis gimbal that randomly does a split second full deflection right yaw every like 30th pump of the throttle, , so that’s on the way. Also going to install an osd and rewire for dshot when I replace my cracked frame, both of which are cheap and easy but require some research that I think I I’ve figured out.

I’m astounded by how much punishment this little quad has taken and kept on flying.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I had a lot of fun with mine. Something I did which you may consider if it gets beat up enough, I bought a gremlin frame, it's a little bigger than the babyhawk, and transfered all the components from the hawk onto the new frame. It's a little more robust, and seemed a little less twitchy (though that may be my imagination).

I impulse bought a used gremlin and babyhawk R 3” because I am a big baby who can’t be trusted with money so I’m looking forward to setting those up.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Did you accidentally change the protocol to dshot without rewiring it? I did that and one motor wouldn’t work, changed back to Oneshot 125 and it worked again.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I spent a few hours today alternatively ripping apart and rebuilding the babyhawk and new-to-me gremlin, and it was interesting and stupid and expensive, but kinda fun too. The state of affairs before today is that I loved my Babyhawk, but a bum taranis gimbal was outputting random full-deflection yaw and this lead to lots of crashes that broke the prop guards and cracked the frame. I replaced the gimbal last night, fixing the radio issue, and received at the same time some new frame pieces and prop guards, as well as buying someone else's used Flitetest Gremlin build.

As one would expect, I hastily re-framed my BH and temporarily installed all four motors into the new frame without prop guards, not realizing that the half millimeter of extra clearance meant every screw crushed the windings on every motor. Once it was together, on arm I get two motors that jiggle and two that are totally dead. gently caress. Okay, I'll abandon the BH project for now and get the Gremlin flying.

The gremlin I received was kind of shittily assembled: ESCs are zip tied crooked, all the wires are everywhere, the camera and VTX are just stuck on with double sided tape and easily move around, but gently caress it I'll give it a try as is. I bind it up, set a few things in Betaflight, and get it out over the lawn. Ho-lee-poo poo this thing is SOOO much more powerful than my Babyhawk! It's the same FC, motors, ESCs, props, etc, but what I assume must be a lighter frame setup allowing a much better power to weight. My babyhawk can't do a split-S without bouncing off the ground unless there is 100+ feet of recovery altitude, and any throttle setting above 50% is basically the same. The gremlin handles easier at slow speeds but will climb like crazy and just generally feels like a dream to fly. Unfortunately, since even good dreams have to include memories of that house blowing up in Afghanistan, this drat thing exhibits yet another impossible to diagnose weird twitch: whenever I try to go high rate for flips, rolls, etc it wigs out and acts dead. Not a wiring issue, definitely something in the setup.

I gently caress with it for a few packs then decide "I dunno maybe it's random desyncs" and decide to go ahead and rewire for dshot to see if that changes anything. Unfortunately I can't get it working; no matter what I do motor 1 won't respond. Okay, we'll quit for the second time today, and swap all the motors off the gremlin into the BH. And since I want to do dshot for turtle mode anyways, I'll go ahead and wire that up. I get it together and it works, hooray. And no more stupid taranis spins! It flies fine, but holy poo poo the stock babyhawk feels heavy compared to the gremlin. Is it wiring, PIDs, or just plain weight? I dunno, so I tear it all apart and steal the thicker XT30 wiring off the gremlin. Maybe those batteries, the bigger wiring, or the better connectors will enable more power? It took a few tries to make it all fit together inside the plastic frame, but it's together now and ready to test for tomorrow. When she's still a pig I'll rip it all out of this pretty frame and put it into the gremlin one.

And now I'm shopping: replace the $48 of motors I destroyed, buy a whole power pack for $65, or just get ANOTHER micro used for $85? I dunno. Here's how it sits for now:

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Since yesterday's post:

I removed the prop guards and swapped the babyhawk to xt30. It feels about as good as the gremlin with those mods, though I did notice that my anti turtle mode does not reverse esc direction and is therefore useless. gently caress. Maybe I'll swap this drivetrain over to the gremlin frame? Also nobody makes a battery strap that isn't total garbage at this size, so I improvised with a large o-ring.

I also flew the first three 3s packs on my babyhawk r. Sweet tapdancing christ that thing moves, like I can't hold full throttle for more than a second before me and my neighbors run out of acres. It instantly fixes all of my babyhawk complaints because it has enough power to bail out of anything at any time. I can't believe it will do 4s. It floats like I'm playing liftoff, I am in love.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e98xnFuADX8

Quick cut trying to show the diff between the normal Babyhawk and the R. The R is dramatically more powerful which means you get into trouble easier but you can throttle out of almost anything. This is really fun but probably giving me some bad power management habits; you can see the 2" has to be nursed out of any dives really carefully or it will just sink to the ground. When the normal one hits the ground I was at 100% throttle well before hitting but it made no diff.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
The first one (non r) is easier to fly fast because it’s objectively slower, except that it can’t power out of dives easily if at all. So I can do a lot of low altitude maneuvering within a very narrow power band, but if I get swoopy, make hard turns or pull out of dives it just mushes into the ground.

The R is way faster so I’m constantly running out of space, turning backwards and applying throttle to brake. It can also dive like crazy with no consequence. A good pilot would make it look waay better.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I just said gently caress it and ordered a Babyhawk R, a set of Eachine ev800d goggles, and a set of 2.5 inch arms and props. Can't wait!

Edit: watched a couple videos of this thing with the bigger props, holy shiiiit that's a lot faster than the regular hawk. I think I'm gonna need more space

If you have dvr don’t be lazy and fly without it. The speed/weight combo of the R leads to some wicked cartwheels and secondary bounces which have made mine exceedingly difficult to find when it throws the battery. I had one where it cartwheeled along the ground parallel to a fence, then made a secondary jump up and over the fence just before tossing the LiPo. Wouldnt have found it without a dvr review since I knew exactly where the first hit was and thought it continued parallel. Also black props and black canopy is a bad color scheme for this same reason.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Warning for the next guy: make sure the canopy side screws on the BH R are going into the right place, if the camera is 1mm offset they will screw in between the camera boards and ruin it. :aaa:

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Some good deals to be had for the 4th, including 15% at piroflip and 20% at helination (code "deadband"). A bnf hawk 5 for $200 shipped was too cheap to resist, I dunno how the gently caress that is profitable but I'll take it. And also a new fc, esc, motors, and some other poo poo.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I received the Hawk 5 today, bound it, set up the antennas, and got it in the air. It's my first non-micro quad. 5" might be too loud even for my country neighborhood, as the neighbors stepped outside literally after one pump of the throttle. Also holy poo poo fast.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Screwing around in the backyard again: https://youtu.be/lE4TJYz1ETw

Had to fly the 5” because I was power looping the babyhawk R through my swing set over and over and ended up breaking an arm. Oops. Flying low and level and smooth is very challenging for me, so good practice.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Built a new micro on the B-Roll frame. Basically the gear from a babyhawk R 2" with a runcam split mini, it's really fun to have HD video! I put about 10 packs through it today, and got way too saucy and crashed it about 20 times. Nothing broken yet thankfully, though I did full throttle into the side of the house and now one of my lipos is kind of banana shaped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ophsvSr_b9o

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Oovee posted:

So I would like a fast beginner drone, but one that I at least assemble myself. I Have a 3d printer and a cnc'ish machine, if that is useful.

Also, any way to make something same'ish to dji phantom for the same money?

No previous rc experience.

Do you want to do aerial photography, or fly the thing for the fun of flying it? Those are different types of craft.

I assume from your desire for one that's fast that you want something more like an FPV quadcopter than a Phantom. If that's the case, buy a transmitter (like the QX7) and fly a sim to see if you enjoy it. I use Liftoff which is on steam. Something like a phantom is a whole different experience, which seems weird from the outside since they're all quadcopters, but it's like someone asking you "Hey I want to get into computers but I'm not sure if I should build a linux server or buy an ipad". Aerial photography drones are flying robots that enable photography, but racing style drones are more like all the worst parts of radio control planes, computers, video editing, and ham radio mixed together.

You can't possibly hope to assemble one from parts cheaper than a big name company can sell you one ready to go. If you want to build one, just recognize that you're doing it for the experience and not to save money. 3D printer might help you make some accessories. I'm not sure what you mean by cnc-ish machine but unless you have a full composite cnc shop already going you probably won't make anything without spending 2-5x as much as one from emax costs, even if your time is worth zero.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I have a 6mm whoop and a 7mm one and they both do that and both feel impossible to fly to me, which makes all these amazing videos of people flying fast indoors downright frustrating.

I’ve been flying a ton with my 2” B-Roll / Runcam split mini lately, trying to learn basic video editing with something better than dvr.

As a change to that, I finally slapped a session on my hawk 5 and gave it a pack last night. It feels and looks so much better that it’s ridiculous.

https://youtu.be/nUWukCXFx_0

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I don’t know what that is, so maybe?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I returned my E013 for those reasons. It was hard as gently caress to fly compared to my 7mm whoop, which is very hard to fly compared to a 3”, which is slightly harder to fly than a 5”. Id tell a beginner now to get a radio and a sim if you’re trying to dip your toes in.

I want so badly to fly whoops like the good pilots do but they are all bounded by a hard-edged performance envelope that I just don’t understand how to stay within yet. poo poo just falls out of the sky for no apparent reason constantly. It’s way more obvious in a brushless quad.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I've kinda stalled out on my 5" build; trying to mate the helio spring to the dal engine 4-in-1 has not yielded success yet so I slid it aside and have mostly been flying my hawk 5 which is just so satisfying out of the box. Aimless flippy floppies in the backyard are still entertaining for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAF4nIPbFCg

In other rc news, I recently discovered flitetest foamboard kits and hot drat am I excited to build a sea duck.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Sea Duck major construction is complete- still need to build the cowlings and pontoons, then paint the thing. I wanted to use my taranis instead of digging out my spectrum stick radio so I did the jumper mod to an x4r-sb to make it into a regular 4 channel x4r, set up elevator and ailerons for servos and differential thrust for yaw control. I think installing and removing batteries through the hatch is going to be a pita so I might just do it once and leave that pack inside.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

CapnBry posted:

That thing is a mighty beast! How long does assembling one of those take?

Build complete. Needs some glue sanded off, sealing tape, and then a paint job.

It's a pretty long build. Someone used to this flat poo poo would probably do it in 6-8 hours. I've probably spent 12-15 hours smearing hot glue all over everything within five feet of the table. The build video is great but I'm really tired of hearing Josh Bixler's voice. This is my first foam board plane build but I've built various r/c stuff for years including other planes. Wouldn't recommend for a first timer.

Ambihelical Hexnut fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 5, 2018

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
It's nothing against him- I watched the same 2 hour video like 10 times in small build segments and hearing the same phrasing and soft tones over and over and over is tiring.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
All this tech and we’re back to 80s/90s channel tags, haha.

I am slowly building a simple cub with the kid, also picked up a nano goblin to start creeping out beyond freestyle range. Then impulse bought another wing. It turns out my hobby is actually online shopping, and rc poo poo just facilitates that.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I’ve got a few foamies and some dead baby hawks which will soon be united.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I have a lowepro quad guard 2. It’s a very nice bag but ends up being tight for my gear: taranis really needs to be squeezed in, making the interior quad storage pocket impossible to use for a 5”. Even if you could you’d still need to remove the GoPro mount, so I usually stick a micro inside and hang my 5” on outside. In that config I carry tx, goggles, charger, tools, several bats, ride along goggles, a 2-3” quad, a 5” quad, and some parts pretty easily.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Money wasting season netted me a 2m wing, a 7" long range quad, some batteries and misc hardware. gently caress.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Yea I will post the hand surgery pics after I gently caress up launching.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
No chainmail necessary for this lil' tyke I hope:

I've soldered tinier stuff but the deep well cockpit and short wire length has made it kind of a PITA so far. Still waiting on an fpv cam, so this is just a test fit / configure stuff before everything gets hot glued in place. Also first time messing with crossfire, weeeee.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

3 feet of snow makes for a good soft landing when your stick inputs outpace your skill. I thought it skipped off the ground and landed elsewhere until I dug the props out.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Thanks. I should probably do conformal coating at some point.

This weekend I hit a weird milestone with the last 12 months of my tiny whooping:

a year ago I tried an eachine e013 and it was garbage so I returned it.

I purchased an acrobee which was cool but still fell out of the sky randomly and wanted to fly faster than I could keep up with; after a month or two it also seemed to randomly lack power so much that I could barely get it off the ground even with new batteries and motors.

I bought a betafpv silverware rig with 7mm motors last summer hoping it would have more power and be more flyable but it was only more of the same.

Finally, with the hype swirling, I got a Mobula 7 a few months ago and ran it 2s hoping that I'd at least not fall out of the air randomly. Unfortunately 2s was way, way overpowered for (my skill level at) indoor flying and kind of boring compared to larger rigs outdoors. What a disappointment to see so many really good pilots ripping around the house like crazy and deal with a bunch of horseshit like these quads.

This weekend, for no reason, I decided to try 1s on the mobula. It is finally the exact indoor quad I always wanted: enough power not to fall out of the sky but docile to fly; easily adjustable camera angle to control speed; seems to have no qualms with all my lovely whoop batts. I flew more whoop batts this weekend than I did in the last six months because 1s brushless is just perfect.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I seriously put it in the snow four or five times this week, but this is my fav: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqr2zU8DN6U

1s mobula through the moving mess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlLiBQShu1s

Also cruised the mavic around today trying to find my lost quad. No luck so far but snappin pics of the snow is fun:

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, in other news, apparently I'm out of the loop completely, HelioRC with their wonder gyro, they ran their business into ground and went tits up. To the tune of selling their houses and poo poo.

That hype train ride is rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
This week's dog torturing whoop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t0ioCf8Iws

And practicing flippies in 5":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Z57k47pPU

Ambihelical Hexnut fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 18, 2019