Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Sorry if "recommend me a drone" gets asked every two pages but I don't really know anything about them and my dad asked me to help him.

Basically we are grain farmers with a fairly small beef cattle operation on the side. We're generally too busy during the rest of the year to bother with calving so dad times it so the calves are born in February-March. We have to keep an eye on the cows to make sure they're not having difficulties giving birth or make sure any just born calves aren't freezing to death when it's really cold. This involves a lot of walking around in fenced off fields of corn stalks in the bitter cold looking for babies. Dad wants a drone so he doesn't have to do as much walking/can cover more ground/see better from the air.

He said he'd be willing to pay $1500-2000 (less is fine too!) Is there anything in that price ranges that's reasonably easy to fly, has a range of at least 1/2 a mile (preferably a mile or more), has a decent camera capable of seeing fairly long distances, and can operate for 20+ minutes in freezing temperatures? I know batteries don't play well in cold temps so that might be the big issue unless there's models with like, heated battery packs or something. Temperatures usually stay above 15F here in the winter but occasionally it gets as low as -10F if that matters. The camera being able to see well in low-light conditions would be a big plus too although I assume actual night vision would cost a few thousand dollars extra at least.

Other than a previous roommate showing me his DJI Phantom very briefly I know very little about current drone tech and what it's capable of so I'm not sure if this set of requirements is totally ridiculous or no problem at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
That's for the recommendations. I think the FLIR Mavic is $3350 so it might be a bit out of his original price range but that would be very useful for what we want to do. I showed him the basic zoom model and both enterprise models and he's pondering it.