Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

helno posted:

The 3.5 channel helicopters are as cheap as they are because they do not actually contain servos for control they simply use transistor based speed controllers to vary the speed of the two main rotors and the .5 channel is the vertically mounted tail rotor to give the small amount of forward speed they can achieve. After you have flown even a basic 4 channel helicopter you will see what you have been missing when you don't have cyclic control.

I just bought myself a 3 channel to learn to fly (Syma S031), is there any particular 4 channel heli you'd recommend once I get my head around the S031?

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

IsaacNewton posted:

I'd skip the MCX as if you're like me you will quickly get bored with it. It's way too stable and doesn't require much talent to get moving.

The MSR (or the knock offs like the CB100 from Walkera or the Nine Eagle Pro) offer a much bigger challenge while staying somewhat in the realm of stable.

If your goal is to fly bigger collective pitch helis then that's what I recommend you do anyway. You'll need to learn to control the heli like it's a glass ball on a plate anyway (constant attention / tiny pitch corrections etc) and the MCX does not offer that.

If you're doing this for fun and giggle inside then a MCX would work better for you. It's also a great heli to pop out when you're drunk. :)

Yeah, I'm thinking about just stumping up for the MSR when I can spare the cash, I think the Syma might've been a bit of a waste of money.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I've changed my mind. I no longer care about learning to fly R/C for video.

I want to fly to R/C to kill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZCH1492CzA