Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Is there an off-the-shelf that will handle 30oz of weight and be good for 30kt winds? I think my hard ceiling on price is $900. I can probably break out a 3d printer if it will decrease my cost by more than $100.

I've got an old (1999) digital controller that runs in one of the unregulated bands at some stupid wattage; I think it's publicized as 5W, but I think it's limited by a jumper to 900mW for US usage. That jumper didn't come installed on my TX as far as I can tell, and I know it uses batteries at a prodigious rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ease posted:

This really bothers me.

Trying to get action shots of waterskiing/tubing, and it'd be nice to be able to launch/recover the craft from a boat at speed.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

How miserable are Air Hogs helis? Can you mount any kind of camera to them at all?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I went by the store to check them out in person and they seem tiny. I assume the IR control means no outside at all, or even open garage door stuff. Is there a radio helicopter for $60 or so? My indoors is very cramped and cluttered, but I've got a huge still-wind parking lot and a reasonably open garage. This is just for dicking around.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

http://hackaday.com/2014/10/06/quadrotor-pod-racing/

Looks like a lot of fun! I watched the video without sound, so it may all be in French or something.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Mister Sinewave posted:

I received my recorder and managed to get out yesterday late afternoon :woop:

I love the sun halo around the shadow. That's always a cool effect.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Elendil004 posted:

Then I'm amazed it happened. But honestly I'd rather have ten of these than ten "near misses"with aircraft.

I'd rather have the airspace incursions than something like this.

"Remember that time when Carol got hit in the face by THAT DRONE! And how loud it was, blowing napkins everywhere. They should't let people use those." Public opinion for crashing things in restaurants has a much worse backlash industry-wide. At least with airspace incursions there are people with some kind of technical background of airspace systems and air vehicle operations in general that propose fact- and usage-based rules -- hopefully. Especially since something used indoors is much more of the kind of thing that hobbyists are likely to want to use.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Golluk posted:

I see you like to live dangerously.

You can tell the pack is charging because it's getting bigger!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

It seems like the square-cube law is helping you in zeppelins as they get bigger instead of hurting you like heavier-than-air craft.

One cool thing you can do with small stuff is make them lighter than air by making the envelope out of something stiff and light (carbon fiber) and sucking the air out of it. Vacuum is much lighter than air; lighter than hydrogen, even!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

DreadLlama posted:

Unfortunately vacuum buoyancy doesn't work (Yet. Also, it may never work). The idea has been kicking around for a few hundred years (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_airship) but nothing practical has yet come from it.

I have witnessed with my own eyes a contraption thus: four carbon fiber triangles approximately one foot on a side. These four triangles were butted up against each other and a refrigeration vacuum pump applied to a schrader valve installed in one of the triangles. This tetrahedron was then sucked down to about 15torr. When the pump hose was removed, the tetrahedron floated off the table and hit the ceiling. This dislodged one of the triangles, and the whole thing deflated with an impressive POP, and the four triangles fell to the ground.

I don't know how much net buoyancy the device had, but I suspect not very much.

edit: some math says that it was probably bigger than a foot on a side. This was 15 years ago, and just "hey, that's neat" at the time. But certainly less than 3' on a side.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Videos like this need to be set to the Wipeout XL soundtrack.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

My neighbor just came over to my house to borrow my shotgun to shoot down a drone. Apparently, the guy up the street bought one to spy on his wife sunbathing nude on the back deck.

Seems like shooting it down with a shotgun is morally ambiguous; should we call the FAA on the "drone operator?" I realize they're very understaffed and this isn't a priority, but the guy who got the drone is the neighborhood rear end in a top hat, so we're of the opinion that "going and talking to the guy" is not going to work.

Or should I just shoot it down and harvest the parts? It's a testament to the legal framework in the US that shooting at the thing with a shotgun in my back yard is a more defensible position than a dish antenna with a 2.4GHz 1kW emitter on it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Here is a thing I have always wondered and could never puzzle my way through:

Why is it that in every drone video where the drones shadow appears, it has a giant bright halo around it? My Bebop does this too. I initially thought it was the contrast difference between the shadow and the surrounding ground, but the other shadows from the trees dont get a halo. Is it because the drone shadow never moves off of the one spot it appears in on the sensor?

This is an actual effect of the atmosphere. If you're flying in an airplane and look at your own shadow, it's got a halo around it too. Neat effect.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Splode posted:

edit: I guess what I'm trying to get at is the stigma around drones is real and dumb, but it's not likely to go away if people really are flying camera drones into their neighbor's backyard

This all day every day.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jaded Burnout posted:

Please refrain from discussing how best to shoot people, animals, or things, here in our forum 210, and probably wise for the rest of the forums too.

Man, I was just typing up a post about how he could have a nuclear-powered rocket-propelled jammer system that hacks the drone's camera TX to trace back the operator. That way he could have the FAA, ATF, DOE, FCC, and NSA all after him at once!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ok, so now it's time to suggest building a medium-range (100s of meters) GPS spoofer under a class delta airspace near the approach end of an airport so you can fly your drone without its software complaining. Just keep replaying the data that says its 9/11/01 and you're in the Azores and you'll be fine. Of course, you're going to have to re-map your geo altitudes to match the local geoid or your thing will just fly to 0ft MSL, which I hear is a problem outside of Florida.

I think that's only FCC and FAA. But maybe the Air Force Space Command (Space Force now?) because it's GPS. And of course, USGS because you're messing with their WGS-84 geoid data.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

People who post in the rc thread should be aware that ham is not an acronym

I always read HAM as "Holloman Aero Medical" because they're the people that sent a monkey into space for the USA and HAM was buried behind my high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I thought he was ramping up a bunch of quads in the background, but that's just the sounds of the goalposts moving.