Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Just recently got into FPV and picked up an Emax Babyhawk R a few months ago and I'm just now getting to the point where I feel like I'm not constantly in danger of destroying it as soon as I nudge a stick, even in Oklahoma level winds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n4jKaa-HpE&t=78s

Also, Tinyhawks are way too much fun for the price and size.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB5bFT7wl-Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Dammit. I'm still new to this hobby and I'm already wanting to modify my Babyhawk and add the 3 inch arms and props so I can carry my gopro session. Yay spending more money.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

3" on BH-R works great. My advice as someone with a lot of broken babbyhawks: give the gopro a try if it's cheap and easy, but dont spend money trying to put a session on a babyhawk just get a hawk 5. All the stores do 15% off on every major holiday, including the 4th, so it'll be easy to get one at/near $200. A babyhawk with a session could do a lot of cool work if setup well but it'll be harder to fly and offer a narrower performance envelope, etc.

I’ll look into it, as well as at replacing the fpv cam and vtx with either a caddx or foxeer. Something that has a DVR onboard.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Speaking of Betaflight... I have both a Tinyhawk and a Tinyhawk S from Emax. The S model is having some serious motor sync issues and just not performing nearly as well as the original, but other than a weird video gremlin, the 1S Tinyhawk is still a hoot and a half.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

CloFan posted:

fuuuuck it's already full of cat hair

If it's not too windy it kicks rear end outside, even on 1s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8kCuOp9E7c

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 27, 2019

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Your poor leg

I'm just fortunate the Tinyhawks have almost no mass. And that I haven't nailed myself in the balls yet.

CloFan posted:

Hell yeah it does. I've ran a couple dozen packs at this point, so I'm crashing less at least. Put the Mockingbird tune on there today, although I'm not experienced enough to really tell the difference. Betaflight is a pretty slick interface!

I'm still learning about PIDs myself, but I know enough to know that if Bardwell recommends it, it must be good!

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

CloFan posted:

drat, that sucks. Half the cost of the quad.

Had a hard crash last night, broke a prop and popped out the camera. I need to print the little protector piece, but for now I put it back into it's holder. Also moved the antennas external while I had it apart, maybe that will improve vtx range a tiny bit

Pulling the antennae out does a pretty good job with range. I actually just crashed my OG Tinyhawk and broke the threads that the lens screws into, so now is as good a time as any to make a frankenhawk. For now, I’m getting a new frame, a caddx EOS v2 camera, and some bullnose quadblade props. I’m also thinking of getting a micro vtx that’ll do 200mw.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

CloFan posted:

I'm new to the hobby so definitely do some fact checking. The 'flagship' FatSharks, Dominator HD0, don't come with a receiver module or antennae, you'd have to buy those separate aftermarket for $50-150 depending on features. 'Diversity' means that you have more than one antenna connector, so that you can mix and match antenna types to optimize performance-- your module will automatically switch to whichever antenna has the best reception at any given time.

As for types, I don't really know much. The V5 comes with an omni-directional (lollipop style?) and a patch. I've read you definitely want a patch antenna. That's an area I really need to research, but that's why I went with the V5 to start: known quality brand, and comes with everything you need to get started.

There's a lot of helpful videos on YouTube about all aspects of FPV flying, including antennae. If you learn something, post it here!

I'm not a fan of the Fatshark style of goggles, so I ended up with the FXT Viper box headset. It also has diversity as well as an onboard DVR, mini HDMI in, and can remove the nosepiece to allow for a hybrid view to give you LoS flying when you come in to land.

They look a little goofy, but they can be worn with glasses, the screen can be pulled out and used apart from the headset, and the usage is super intuitive. It comes with two 5.8 dipoles. I've been meaning to get around to getting a patch antenna and a circular, but the setup out of the box works fine for what I'm doing.

I just went out and flew this pack and pulled the video off the onboard DVR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrGQ_6XN6KA

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 30, 2019

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I've kinda decided to give this a shot on my 1s tinyhawk, and once I've figured it out so the same thing on the 2s. There are a couple of lollipops I'm looking at, but I'm not versed enough to pull the trigger on any particular one.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Quick glance into the future, the answer is yes!

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Good news! The new camera for my Tinyhawk S arrived so I can crank some 2s goodness!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBHc6uku8CI

Bad news! I'm 99.9% sure I burned out the VTX!

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Slash posted:

You need to set up an arm switch in the modes panel. Here's an appropriate JB video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLy28mYiAzU

All hail Bardwell.

In other news, my TeamBlacksheep Unify vtx finally shipped from china, but it’s been so hot here in Oklahoma that I haven’t been able to fly for fear of burning out other electronics.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

My Emax Buzz has arrived! Just need to get the vtx configured properly and I'll be joining the flying gopro crowd.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

CloFan posted:

Tinyhawk works just fine outdoors for what it's worth. Probably don't try to fly if wind is gusting to double digits, but a light breeze is definitely navigable.

Tinyhawk can handle up to about 20 mph gusts without freaking out too bad, so long as you don't try to punch out on a battery that's sagging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkJyu5eOh6Q

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

shovelbum posted:

How are people actually flying these things? It seems like you would spend more time contacting every hospital with a helipad than actually flying, and then you see videos from people just casually taking off wherever.

The serious answer is that it kinda depends on which set of rules you go by (ianal, please look this stuff up as it's been a while since I actually read the regs)
vs.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 30, 2019

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Finally got my Emax Buzz flying. I love this hobby so much, one of the guys I was flying with loaned me a 6s after I used up my only 5s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icj20-3JQyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saMB8BdisD8

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Rincey posted:

Nice vids, I love that its first flight ended up unglamorously upside down :D

What do you think of the Buzz? I've been looking at those as a possible BNF option if I don't feel like doing a build for a first 5".

The big post just below yours goes into a lot of great detail, but coming from someone who is using this to make the transition from micros to full size, the buzz is great. The only complaints I've got are that it ships with the vtx in pit mode so you'll have to setup a switch in betaflight to fix that. Also, after the 6s flight one of the motors no longer arms. Other than that, great quad, sturdy build, really forgiving for someone used to significantly smaller quads.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I can't recommend it enough. I've got the original, the 2s and the freestyle and they're all amazingly fun.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Rincey posted:

My first Tinyhawk had an apparent thermal issue - VTX quality degraded continuously and was unusable after about 15 seconds powered-on. Exchanged it and the new one works great. Wow, this is hard. I was getting pretty decent in the sim but the real deal is another matter. Super fun though.

I realized pretty quickly that I need to disable the throttle "ratchet" in my Taranis X7S; it feels neat, but it makes it impossible to hold a consistent hover vertically, I'm always climbing or descending. Hopefully making that change'll help.

I also ordered a Tinyhawk Freestyle for more outdoor hijinks directly from Emax earlier this week but they haven't shipped it yet. I think they might still be backordered. I emailed them to check on it and haven't heard back. Anybody flown the Babyhawk 2" or 3"? Depending on how long the wait is on the Freestyle, I'm tempted to get one of those instead since they're available everywhere.

Babyhawk R 2" is a hoot and a half. I threw some gemfan tri-blades on mine and it's pretty smooth flying.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Zorilla posted:

I'm wondering what the long term Tinyhawk ownership experience is like. I picked up a couple of Tinyhawk RtF kits being sold for parts with the intent of fixing what I could and parting the rest out. Both of the quads that came with them had the same widespread problem where the motors wouldn't spin consistently due to insufficient 1.0mm connectors that weren't able to provide the startup power necessary to get them going (as seen earlier in this thread, of all places).

The original tinyhawk still gets lots of use indoors, as my S model has been modded with an xt-30 plug so no more 1s fun. The S is easily the fastest of the 3 and is pretty great for whoop sized racing (after tweaking the tune, it’s not bad but it’s a little lethargic after you get used to 2s speed). And the freestyle is basically perfect for smaller outdoor spaces, although I’m waiting until i have time to swap out the vtx for a TBS unify nano.

I’ve only had the freestyle for a week, but I’ve had the original and S models for a few months and I take them most places because if there’s a parking lot I’m almost always able to fly a few packs. They’re not “blow your mind” awesome, but they’re a lot of fun and pretty durable. Exactly what a whoop sized quad should be.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Finally got my Buzz back from Emax. Turns out one of the ESCs was defective. Obviously I had to put a pac through it to celebrate, but Oklahoma winds are not friendly to drones. This is what flying in sustained 20mph winds with 35+ gusts looks like to a novice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAx9nOgt7MI

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 22, 2019

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Got to fly with some other folks in OKC today. First time flying with multiple birds in the air, definitely played it safe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WABJk0g6pko

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Ugh... lost my Tinyhawk freestyle on top of a building this morning. Trying to shoot a nice wide gap and got blown off course into a concrete fixture. Attempts at flipping it right side up failed and another drone sheared a motor off in the process.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Well, I lost a quad to a failsafe. Flying somewhere over my parents’ neighborhood and I lost radio but kept the video just long enough to see a fast approaching roof. I knocked some doors and put up flyers in the area, but I’m pretty sure my 5 inch is gone.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I was running rssi, but I didn't hit record on the dvr, and I freely admit I was more worried about lining up for the dice rather than paying attention to signal strength. It's 100% my fault.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Has anyone sent in a comment to the FAA yet? I'm still working on mine and how the purposed rules will effectively end not only a great hobby, but also end STEM opportunities in schools. There are a couple of schools here in OK that are incorporating drones at various grade levels to teach basic electronics work as well as programming with arduino type stuff.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Got my Armattan Gecko this past week. Thew a caddx turtle on there, now I've gotta actually tune the thing since all the rates on the FC were super slow. The first half of this video was a bunch of full stick maneuvers, the second half was with the rates doubled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0sWt6jBSEw

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Still working on tuning my Gecko, but I got it Smith enough to where I feel comfortable hitting gaps on a quad bigger than a whoop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShWFYN3rQgA

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

That's cool, but I have one question: are you a nascar driver? :v:

I'm not, but I do like high speed runs right above the grass.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I have noticed it, and I am trying to work on it. No idea why it happens that way, unless it's something to do with the way I hold my radio. I'll have to do a stick cam and see.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Why not?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I hear that.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Dji has some decent tracking on models as old as the Spark, and you can get those pretty cheap. I dunno if it's on the Mavic Mini, but that's basically one step up from the Spark in terms of price.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

CapnBry posted:

Holy smokes, if you guys have the DRL Simulator there's a track in Featured Tracks, HOTWHEELS_OX, and it is insanely fun. Long, fast, sweeping tricks with barrel rolls around the track and powerloops and none of that tight twitchy bullshit these kids today seem to be so good at. I love how some of their tracks give me the "Well, gently caress, which way is even up right now" feeling and make you realize that quads are like nothing else.

You’re not kidding. The gates in the power loop are gnarly.

Edit: That said, I made the top 5 for the 3” class, and I suck at racing.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 14, 2020

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

The only downside to DRL is the quad workbench. Liftoff has my armattans and flying the gecko in game is almost identical to real world after some tuning.

E: if anyone has either sim and wants to jump in a multiplayer session, my steam ID is my forums name with no space.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 14, 2020

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

CapnBry posted:

Oh that's kinda nuts, because when I tried the Gecko in Liftoff my first thought was that it was overpowered and there was no way that a tiny little 3" could handle that well. I only have experience with whoops and 5" quads, and it was far closer to my 5" experience. Hearing that it kinda flies close to the real Gecko makes me want a 3" now too. What did you workbench about the in-game version?

I find the tracks in Liftoff to be more like what might exist in the real world and DRL to have more tracks we'd have in the real world if drone racing became more popular than the NFL. DRL has real tracks too, just that some of the super-fun ones are just bonkers gravity-defying flipfests. They gotta add lap times to the race ending screen like Liftoff has, and when you click Restart, I wish it wouldn't have to reload the whole level again including the (skipable) camera fly-around.

As far as workbenching the gecko, it's mostly tweaking the tune and props. The motors I fly with are 3650kv Oomphs, but liftoff only has 3600s, so it's not exactly 1:1. I'm also flying with iflight Nazgul props, which are radically different from anything in game, so if anything my real gecko is just a bit more aggressive. Once I have a chance I'll post my tune in game and from betaflight.

So, here are my rates from SpeedyBee (great app btw):

And here are my rates from liftoff.

I've already posted my Gecko video on this thread, but for a 3 inch, TN got more oomph than you'd expect, and with a 4s it'll turn and burn pretty good.

These are my props, which are pretty different from anything in the game, but are pretty great.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 15, 2020

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Finally got back out with the Gecko, but picked a cold and windy day to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QJsM7Wsagg

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Very nice! I've only ever been ballsy enough to try stunts on fixed wing craft, the quads just seem way more difficult.

How are you maintaining, mentally, where you are after those stunts? I find even on my slow, decidedly non-stunt-y photography drone, I can get disoriented on which way im facing and whether or not I'm looking at my house or my neighbors house and whatnot? I guess you only have one building to worry about as a frame of reference, but I find its pretty hard when you're dealing with just trees to keep your mental orientation.

Practice and familiarity with the field. This is about a mile and a half from my apartment, so I tend to fly there a lot. If it's somewhere I haven't flown before, or where I fly infrequently, I'll usually spend a pack or two learning the area.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Had a real good talk with John Q. Public about fpv this evening. Took my Buzz and Gecko out for some laps around a field behind a bank and one of the customers came out to watch. He told me he was an RC fixed wing flyer from way back in the 90s and wanted to know what an easy step into quads was. Spent a few minutes on different options and YouTube to help get started and he left after ordering a tinyhawk rtf package off Amazon.

All in all a good sesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Got my 5" flying again after a crash and a week spent outdoors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c94EtO72hjw