Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm interested in getting a drone that would be pretty much exclusively used to check out my gutters and roof every other month or so. That's all. It's a pain to get on the roof and I just want to make sure things are ok up there (be able to see it "for myself") and then call in a contractor if needed to fix stuff. I searched the thread, and this seemed to be the most relevant recent discussion on the subject...:

Jaded Burnout posted:

Budget probably caps out around £200. Anything more than that and it becomes an investment that needs to see more ongoing usage, becomes a bit of a boondoggle sort of thing.

Once I'm into renting, I may as well hire a roofer to do the inspection.

It's totally OK if my use case is impractical with what's on the market now, but it would be nice to be able to go "oh poo poo there's water ingress in this room, let's check the flashing on the nearby skylight" without having to set up an access tower or book in a roofer.

I do have a go pro knockoff floating around, but yeah I suspect there'll be far more hassle involved trying to rig something up.

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah makes sense. Check out the video I linked or one of his other reviews, if it looks good enough, that could be your solution.
This one for example looks a bit better and is £120.

Anyway, I'm in the USA. I know absolutely nothing about small home-use drones other than what shows up now and then in funny youtube clips. What would people recommend as a starter drone with a decent camera for taking pics or video of my house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Does the nature of the structure and land prevent you from utilizing a pole saw with a GoPro knockoff attached?

Hmm, good question. It’d need to be a tall rear end pole. I hadn’t considered it but that may be a good alternative.