Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What are the options for a very small (palm-size) quadcopter that I could use with my existing turnigy 9x radio? I'm aware that disassembling a 6ch receiver and soldering it in is an option for many platforms, but I'm wondering if there's anything that will just bind and fly (after radio configuration, of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A Yolo Wizard posted:

older syma x1's did, or buy the cheapo orangerx dsmx JR module and be able to use a lot more bnf stuff

Got a list of some good palm-size quadcopters that can use the JR module?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have a foam pusher-prop glider that I want to add some electronic stability and autonomy to. I don't have a specific goal in mind, but I'd like to get some kind of active wings-leveling system in it, and it'd be cool if I could launch it and have it follow some waypoints I set up on Google Maps or something, then return to a home location.

I already have the basic manual RC gear (the radio is a Turnigy 9X with er9x). I'm looking at autopilot modules like the Ardupilot; I'm very comfortable with Arduino programming, so I think that (likely the HobbyKing HKpilot version) would be the direction I'd go. I'll need an add-on GPS module as well. I've never done any autonomous RC, though, so what else do I need to make this work?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This is really great, cheers :cheers: I'm watching the whole series.

One thing that I'm still not clear on, which he doesn't seem to go over, is sending data back and forth to the plane while it's in the air. If I wanted to, say, use the ground software (Mission Planner) to update waypoints while the vehicle is underway, would a 433MHz telemetry radio like the http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-sik-telemetry-radio.html be capable of that?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Any of the cheapo 433 or 900mhz apm telemetry radio sets you can search for on eBay will work. I'd get the 900mhz in case you ever get an LRS receiver / transmitter for control

Googling around, LRS seems to be a software-defined radio transmitter and receiver system. That's neat, but what are the advantages over the 2.4ghz system that comes with the Turnigy 9X?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"You are violating the GPL by not publishing your code, stop it or else" is a toothless threat because open-source developers have no money.

CEO of the company using GPL code in their commercial products, lighting a cigar with a hundred dollar bill: "what?"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Never used banggood in particular, but if it's anything like HobbyKing or AliExpress or DealExtreme, 2 weeks would be pretty fast and about a month is normal.

Also I don't think tracking software works right with packages from China because often it'll sit at an early stage like that then be at your doorstep one afternoon and all the intermediate steps have the same timestamp of earlier that day, etc.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What layer height are you using on that set of blue goggles? Looks crazy, like half a millimeter or more. Do you have a Volcano or something?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like Molex Micro-Fit for anywhere I need decent current flow and small size. They come in a bunch of different form factors and are keyed and locking as well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

French Canadian posted:

I grew up flying gas-powered RC planes in a field with grandpas and no rules. Harassing grazing sheep, flying in circles, and oh the balsawood explosions I've seen. What's the best battery powered <$200 RC plane to get me back in business? Ideally it's an ARF and comes with a lovely radio.

I have one of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8359__AXN_Floater_Jet_Glider_EPO_1127mm_PNF_.html

and a Turnigy 9x radio set http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8992__Turnigy_9X_9Ch_Transmitter_w_Module_8ch_Receiver_Mode_2_v2_Firmware_.html

and with a couple of appropriate batteries http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8932__Turnigy_2200mAh_3S_20C_Lipo_Pack.html

you'll come in just under $200 with shipping all said and done. Fun plane, not too huge to store but not so small that you can't fly in some wind, forgiving to fly, all foam so crashes are more bouncy than explodey. Check out the reviews on Hobbyking and you'll see lots of happy people.

Also, this way instead of a lovely radio, you'll get actually a very good radio with a lot of hobbyist support. If you're okay with some intermediate soldering and microcontroller flashing, the open-source ER9X firmware is really awesome.

e: here's a video of the sort of performance you can expect. interesting takeoff strategy this guy has (you're supposed to hand launch it and belly-land, though I'm thinking of printing some little nylon wheels and a tail skid for mine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmOGwIRbwvI

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 2, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Can RC helicopters really autorotate effectively? It doesn't seem like the rotor has enough mass to really pull that off.

e: well, whaddaya know. Looks like you can only do it for a few seconds, but if you time it right that's all you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEq8bk8ctTE

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 3, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'd bet that approximately 12 hours after the first successful commercial drone delivery, we'll hear about the first successful shooting-down of a commercial drone for its cargo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I hate everything about this video gently caress

that guy's face is way too fat for his glasses

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah it's 100% worth standardizing on one or two connectors that you like and spending a few hours one day replacing them on all of your devices and components.

For me it's XT60 and Molex Micro-Fit all the way.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Admittedly a $300 DJI carrying 2 pounds of dynamite is a pretty scary proposition.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

From my practical experience with adhoc supporting dRonin in IRC, people seem all too happy to try different ESCs and motors, but the drat flight controller seems holy for some reason.

I've found that people usually do this when it's something they don't understand.

A motor makes sense. You put electricity in and the spinny part spins. Bigger motors mean more spinny. Okay, I understand, I can try different motors out.

A flight controller makes no sense. You put the receiver in and the motors out and ~somehow~ the magic box makes the quad stay upright. Don't touch it! I got it working, I don't want you to break it! What did you do? I said don't touch it! No, this one works, I'm not going to try anything else, what if the magic stops?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What material are you printing in?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I'm kind of a newb pilot, and a newb builder as well. I built this guy, with a 30" span, 8" chord Kline-Fogleman wing. Ailerons and elevator, no rudder.

The flight characteristics were... interesting. It will fly at a decently low speed, but it tip stalls so easily at those speeds. Is that normal?

- Am I simply flying too slow when I'm yanking and banking, causing the tip stalls?
- Could the wing loading is too high? I could decrease weight with a smaller battery and skinnier fuselage. Or, I could add to the wingspan.
- Perhaps the CG is off. I balanced it at 25% from the leading edge, somewhat nose heavy. I could go a little more aggressive on the CG.
- I can't help but wonder how much the pusher configuration is to blame here. I have the prop angled flat, not tilted up as I usually see on Bixlers and the like.

I Am Not An Aeronautical Engineer but your span-to-chord ratio makes the plane look more like a missile than an airplane, IMO. What if you made it like 50% longer?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I have a little teeny $20 indoor quad I bought in the checkout line at Ross. It's such a blast to fly that now I want a QX90 as well.

I have a Turnigy 9X radio. The QX90s I see on AliExpress and BangGood have a bunch of different rx options. What's the best transmitter/receiver module for me to go with if I wanted to swap my 9X to something that's more common and compatible than Turnigy's own 2.4GHz stuff?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What's the expected voltage at the buzzer pads? What's the signal that comes out?

(theoretically yes, but you will probably need at least a resistor and maybe some other stuff too)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

soy posted:

I probably would not touch a thing with bombs on it until EOD showed up.

i wonder who took the picture. and whose shoes those are.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Oh I know that. I just meant that the drone itself was amateur for this thread.

If you're just making a quarter-wave monopole, yeah it does. I made a few a week or so ago:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

made a few quick-and-dirty monopoles for ~9.35 gHz to test some stuff in the lab. I'll see if they actually work this weekend, hopefully

wanted to try making discones but just don't have the time. I should be getting some that I purchased in the mail next week

ima just quote these two 24 megapixel photos here because they locked up chrome and kicked on my computer's fans so t:mad:t

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 7, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You can certainly 3D-print an effective drone. It wouldn't achieve the best possible stiffness-to-weight ratio because it's still just plastic -- carbon fiber beats it out. So it probably wouldn't be a competitive racing model. But a 3D printer can definitely build the basic frame you need to get off the ground.

McSpergin posted:

To answer this
- gopro
- maybe 1 to 2 hours? Idk if that's realistic
- under a thousand aud

lol

try 25 minutes for an expensive high-end model flown gently, but more realistically under 10

if you want long flight times you need a fixed-wing glider or something.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 7, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've printed functional motorcycle parts with carbon-reinforced filaments (PHA, PETG and nylon) and while the parts are cool, they still don't compare in stiffness-to-weight ratio to a proper vacuum-bagged carbon mat layup. They can be quite tough and reasonably light, but the compressed sheets that most quadcopter frames are milled out of are just a better material for the job.

However, 3D printed parts can be ideal for doohickeys like blade protectors and landing gear (nylon is extremely tough) and the carbon-reinforced nylon could make a great lightweight substitute for aluminum parts that aren't under too much load.

Not saying it wouldn't work, of course -- there are hundreds of fully printable drone designs on thingiverse. It's just not the optimum material is all.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Minimum battery voltage cutoff not configured correctly?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm relatively new to the highly computerized RC stuff as well (though I have a fair bit of experience going back to old AM radio/NiCd battery days) so I dunno exactly. My little drone runs Betaflight so you configure it through USB.

I would look through the instructions and reference pages for your flight controller. Maybe it's not reading the battery voltage correctly, or maybe it's just not set for the right value.

Lithium batteries can be damaged/exploded by over-discharging them, so yes, disabling all functionality when the battery voltage is too low is a common enough feature.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 17, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

moron izzard posted:

Was there an actual confirmation beyond the pilot report or did folks just decide to run wild with this

Maybe it was a predator drone

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm thinking about building a little balsa-and-tissue indoor plane for the winter and am looking at these little units

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/2-4ghz-supermicro-systems-dsm2-compatible-receiver-w-brushed-esc-linear-servos.html

Does anyone make one that's compatible with either FrSky or the original Turnigy 9X protocols? I know that DSM/2/X is really popular but I don't want to have to buy another transmitter module (I have a rather customized 9X that I like) if I don't have to.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hmm. That's pretty close, and at least has the receiver and ESC integrated, but I like the one that has the two servos as well. Anything like that? It saves a couple of grams.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Cool. I ordered some stuff from a local RC store. They had a 500mW transmitter for about $5 more than a 200mW, but I expect the only drawback of a more powerful transmitter is a higher power draw?

I'm planning to power the camera/transmitter from a 20Ah powerbank, so power draw isn't a huge concern.

If you were flying a drone with a 500mW transmitter in an area where other people were also operating VTX drones, you would probably get some nasty words.

For your situation no, there's no disadvantage other than power draw.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Novo posted:

I absolutely hate buying toys and then not being able to source extra batteries, rendering them useless in less than a year. I've gone through two helicopters and a mini quadcopter because of this already.

For what it's worth, unless your thing uses some sort of custom-shaped battery with pogo pin contacts like a camera or old cell phone, you can pretty much always get a new battery for it. Lithium-polymer cells all run at the same voltage* and you can get them in any possible capacity and physical size you like for real cheap on Amazon.

Open up your little quadcopter and find the battery. Read the numbers on it. Among other things, it should say something like 3.7v 350mAh. Put the mAh number into Amazon ("350mah li poly") and find the one that looks the closest to yours in shape. You might have to replace the connectors to make it fit but that's a fairly easy little electronics project.

*or a multiple thereof. A single lipo will be 3.7v, two in series will be 7.2v, three will be 11.1, and so on. The vast majority of small RC toys just use a single cell though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know how to connect a Taranis to the computer, though there's certainly a way to do it (through the trainer port with an adapter, usually). I have a cheap little USB dongle that works with my Turnigy 9X. You'll definitely want to do that in order to get the feel for flying with the hardware you're planning to use.

FPV Freeride is a free quad simulator that's fine for beginners. Not particularly physically accurate or tunable, but it'll get you the hang of the basic controls.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I'd start by just bugging whatever support groups you can find, and then if there isn't a response within a few days, making a stink on Twitter until someone panics and mails you a new controller.

The answer to your original question is: yes, probably you can pair the drone to a better transmitter, but it's not just plug-and-play. You'll need to figure out what protocol it uses (if you can't find this online and you're not an electronics engineer, you're out of luck) and then buy a controller that uses the same protocol, or one that has a modular radio (Taranis, 9X, etc) so that you can swap it out. I'd say you're looking at a minimum of $80 (9X + new radio module) and that still won't get you the GPS functions or the video stream.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have one and it's real nice. I designed a 3D printable thing that lets me clip it onto a Makita battery pack (5S) and carry it around as a little battery-powered soldering station. Heats up really fast on 18v and it's got good ergonomics.

I'd suggest that you install the third-party firmware that you can find on GitHub, because the stock stuff is extremely Discount Chinese Product, and the stock tip is a little fat for my taste but you can get a thinner one for ten bucks more.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, balsa planes just explode in a crash into tiny toothpick-like shreds. Foam planes essentially bounce, maybe crack in a few big chunks that you can stick back together with spray glue in 30 seconds.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I'm looking at brushless motors and ESCs, but it seems marketing lingo may be getting in the way of actual stats. The motor KV rating shouldn't really apply, should it? Brushless are AC, so frequency output by the ESC is the deciding factor for RPMs. What is the limiting factor in the system of battery, ESC, and motor? And what is the throttle input bound to (frequency, amps, ?)?

The kV value applies because that's the measure of the fundamental electromagnetic performance of the motor. Imagine that you had an ESC putting out a 1-megahertz signal to the coils. Does that mean the motor is going to spin 1 million RPM? No, its motion is still limited by how much force the coils can apply to the magnets to overcome the rotor's inertia and frictional drag. The motive power still has to come from somewhere, and that's current (which comes from voltage because coils are ohmic loads). The motor will just vibrate because the coil field is changing more quickly than the rotor can get itself moving.

What the throttle specifically does depends on your ESC. In the simplest case, the ESC just strobes a series of MOSFETs which are connected directly to the battery. Battery voltage goes into the coils, voltage and coil resistance set the current, current generates a magnetic field, magnetic field creates motion. The motor will jump to its next set of poles as quickly as it can. Cycling the MOSFETs on and off more quickly drives the motor around more quickly, up to a point where it doesn't have enough magnetic field strength (voltage) to spin as quickly as the controller is telling it to. That's the maximum speed.

More complex ESCs may also have current control (which is implemented as voltage control with feedback) so that the system only draws just as much power as it needs for a requested RPM, or sensors that can detect the position of the rotor and adjust the waveform to better synchronize the magnetic field rotation with the movement of the rotor.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 5, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

For VFR pilots, MOAs are open airspace. You can fly through them at any time unless there's a NOTAM saying you can't. You are obviously expected to exercise caution because there might be planes or choppers flying very fast and doing unusual maneuvers. I've heard stories of F-16s screwing around with Cessnas that wander into their training areas, but that's just fighter jocks having fun, not an actual interception or anything.

I don't know what the rules are for operating a UAV in class D, but that's more likely to be a restriction than the MOA stuff. In class D you have to have two-way radio communications with the control tower (you don't need permission to enter it, just a callup and acknowledgement), or if you haven't got a radio, you need to have prearranged your flight with the tower. That'll be the thing you have to deal with, I bet.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

life is killing me posted:

Thank you. I was conflating MOA with restricted airspace and the FAA wasn't helping. It must be the two airports and the heliport making it class D even though B4UFLY cites "Carswell NAS/JRB" only and says "Class D Airspace" underneath it. Although I imagine after those airports close I don't need to contact them. And I'm interpreting "two-way radio" communication with them as being just calling the airport manager and ATC tower (where there is a tower).

It's probably pretty obvious I've got some studying to do for the part 107 and I want to make sure I know where I can fly and where I can't before adding aerial photo and video services to my business. I just want to practice with this drat thing so I'll probably have to take it to class G a few times so I'm not having to call airports every day just to fly it at my house.

If a towered airport is class D and the tower is closed, it reverts to class E, so follow those rules at that point.

I just happen to have a copy of the FAR/AIM right here beside me and it specifically says

quote:

S107.41 Operation in certain airspace.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC).

So yeah, in your area you gotta call the tower and get their permission regardless of what you're doing.

I also learned that you must yield the right of way to all launch and reentry vehicles, so look out for those spaceships

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Out of curiosity, are these "authorizations" the source of all the purple circles that I keep seeing on SkyVector?

When I first started seeing them (up north near Beale) I thought they were referring to military drones, but now there are so many that I assume they have to be a part-107 thing. The NOTAM only says "UAS OPERATING AREA" and the radius/times. Anyone shed some light on how these NOTAMs are filed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Teflon® is a registered trademark of the DuPont corporation used for its polytetrafluoroethylene product line.