Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

American rules:

quote:

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface -

(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and

(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.

So for fixed-wing airplanes it's 1000 feet over the tallest nearby building in cities, 500 feet above the ground over farms, and as low as you like over the desert as long as you don't get within 500 feet of a person. Helicopters and paramotors can fly essentially as low as they like at any time as long as they follow their own rules for safe operation. If you fly low and crash, though, the FAA will get you on paragraph (a) because you were flying too low to make a safe emergency landing.

Canadian ones are probably quite similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hadlock posted:

What are the chances that ADS-B transceivers drop in price to under $100 in our lifetime

A receiver is already well under $100. It's the transmitter part that is expensive: the high-accuracy certified GPS and the power amplifier stages.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, okay. I would say the chances are very low. $100 for a 3W radio transmitter of any type is about as low as you can go, and before we're dead the US dollar will no longer exist and neither will gasoline or plastic so it's a moot point

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Atticus_1354 posted:

He was probably legal depending on how legal it is to fly directly over a house and this area isn't exactly populated. Just surprised me and shows how hard it is to share the airspace. He also better be careful because he wouldn't be the first one to get low around here and have a nice controlled flight into terrain.

Part 103 ultralights (i.e. under 254 pounds, don't need a license) have no minimum altitude restrictions, the argument being that they stall at like 20 mph and can land in a baseball field so it's easier for them to make a safe emergency landing. They do have the catch-all rule that the aircraft may not be operated in a way that creates a hazard to people or property on the surface.

The FAA uses the term "congested area" to refer to built-up areas, but specifically does not define exactly what it is. In various cases it has meant cities, beaches covered in tourists, crowds at airshows, etc. One farmhouse is generally not going to be considered a congested area. There's also the part 91 rule (technically doesn't apply to ultralights, but anyway) that you are allowed to fly lower than a minimum altitude restriction if required for taking off or landing.

But you're right, it's surprising how many things there are going on in the air that you aren't aware of until you start trying to fly stuff there yourself. It's not just a big empty sky.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i watched it right up until:

"alright, i'm gonna take you back a little bit, let's look at some of the history."
(pause for breath)
"THE MEDIA--"

ctrl-W

e: i clicked through a few random points and these were literally the phrases that i heard

"grossly overstated"
"and nobody has died!"
"trying to create a world where no one can hurt themselves"
"i don't think the injuries were critical"

get hosed

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 28, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

Well maybe I'm a lovely person but I feel worse for the drone pilot than the helicopter pilot. You can be all fast and stealthy and tacticool if you want, but you're going to hit stuff that didn't see you. If you're a manned pilot and reading this, ADS-B is your friend. I have a receiver. It's up to you to have a transmitter.

Well there's a hell of a take. "I feel worse for the guy who lost his $500 toy helicopter than the guy who had his windshield shattered and his passenger's face sprayed with glass."

In the manned world, ADS-B very explicitly does not guarantee separation and does not exempt the pilots of either aircraft from the responsibility to see and avoid other traffic. It's an additional safety feature, like having a moving map on your iPad, but not a primary flight instrument. That said, you have a receiver, I have a transmitter and receiver. I kinda wish you had a transmitter too so I could get some early warning because you are the size of a bird and mostly stationary and you don't even flap and it's hard to spot you. But because I know that electronics fail, I will still be looking around in my flight path to try to avoid you. Are you looking around for me, or are you focused on the ground and assuming your electronics will alert you when I approach?

I have no problems with drones doing whatever they want below 400 feet well away from airports (helicopter pilots might) but if you want to fly in the national airspace, you follow the national airspace rules. Until someone comes up with a way to have drones fly IFR, that means you're VFR and you need to see and avoid. The FAA correctly recognizes that you can't do this adequately when you're not on board the aircraft, and you can't do it at all when you're out of line of sight, which is why the restrictions exist.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 30, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

It would be easier to put such automatic driving system system onto the car. "If traffic signal = green, and speed < 60, and forward looking sensors = no cars; then accelerate" You could literally do it with code.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's like a 50x50 grid so if about half of them are illuminated that's 1250 drones at a minimum. Wack

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If your transmitter has a trainer port, that would be the cleanest way to do it. The trainer port will probably take some sort of concatenated PPM signal that combines all the channels together. I would assume there is documentation about it for any popular radio model. Get a Raspberry Pi and plug in your joysticks, then write a script that takes the joystick data and assembles the PPM and pushes it out on a GPIO pin. All you need hardware-wise is an appropriate cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The slow rotation is a safety feature so that you know it's armed.