Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
So I've never flown an RC before and want a cheap-ish, controllable-main-rotor-pitch helicopter that can survive a crash. Blade Nano S2 and XK K110 seem to be the recommendations but they're out of stock across the UK. Anyone want to suggest some alternatives to check before I order off Banggood and have to wait a month to get it? Specifically collective-pitch because I like helicopters and without that it's not the same, and something that can work with a fancy transmitter if I get into it would be cool.
I have flown (fullsize) heli sims a bit.

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Cool, thanks. Seems like almost everything is out of stock, so I have an XK K110 coming to me from China in a month or so.
I will heatshrink and tape it up for sure.
Now I guess I'll throw some paper aeroplanes or something...

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Xaintrailles posted:

I have an XK K110 coming to me from China in a month or so.

Got here way faster than the delivery estimate, under 2 weeks. It was fine but I also got a toy quadcopter for £9 and that came with the box beat to poo poo, so wary of banggood now.

Thoughts:
If you have long hair, hoover the carpet before flying over it, or you'll be untangling it later.
No return to centre tension on throttle only feels weird to a game controller user for about 10 seconds, it makes instant sense when you fly.
You can program down your inputs so far you can't get out of ground effect. I nearly pulled a neck muscle dodging a runaway so I'm doing this until I can hover in all the orientations.
It's pretty tough but I cracked a rotor already :)
Just hovering is really fun.

The transmitter feels a little big for my hands, tempted to go straight to one of those game controller looking ones.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Haven't followed them closely, but those Xbox style transmitters seemed over priced and under featured. I'd go with the thread consensus and get a Radiomaster TX16S Hall Sensor Gimbals for $125.99 until July 24th

Actually 5 bucks less with this email coupon BGT16SP (oh my god so many emails). Xboxy ones are on sale too.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

In case anyone's counting, I broke the helicopter, lol. Tail strike on hard ground.

Zorilla posted:

[*]Buy a shitload of replacement parts in advance.

Excellent advice here BTW. Two more weeks here we go.
Repairs all seem pretty easy at least although re-seating the main gear was a fairly scary amount of force along the dinky main shaft.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

The FCC just issued a $2.8 million fine to HobbyKing for selling uncertified radio equipment, lol

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-20-101A1.pdf

Ahaha, they tried to plead the 5th amendment. The document uses the word "egregious" 8 times.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Anyone got any thoughts on using FPV goggles with glasses?
I'm shortsighted. Would like to be able to quickly go from FPV to LOS. The fancy ones where you have prescription insets custom made are more than I would spend.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I'm sure moving from googles to LOS isn't realistic, was just hoping to have a plausible out for the crappy UK legal situation - no way I could regularly get a spotter.
I didn't know you could get custom lenses for Skyzones, better but still pricey. FXT Viper isn't too bad but it's £140 (like $180 inc. UK tax).
That plus a good radio and a quad (and a £9 registration ha) is still a lot of money for a questionably-legal hobby when half the reason I'm interested is to fly something that can take being slammed into the ground better than my heli (cracked the canopy today even with tape on it...). Could just buy 6 more k110s.
Will see how I feel after more flight time.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Gimbal and a telescoping unicycle. Now, watch me split s my RC car.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

I just tried FPV and hahaha holy poo poo!

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

So, is it possible to get betaflight's crash behaviour to respect throttle limit or otherwise tone it down? Using a tinyhawk 2 on 2S with low rates (so it flies more like 1S) I clipped a twig and my drone rocketed itself into my neighbour's garden, I think it wouldn't have made it over the fence with the same crash on the actual 1S battery. Wall collision behaviour also seems better on 1S. It's certainly quieter.

Also, I can't bind my E010 with the TX16S, guides say to reduce multiprotocol radio power to 30mW but I don't see the option on this radio (there's a "low power" toggle but it doesn't work). How do I do that?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Thanks!

I don't see an "option" value? I did try the RF Freq. fine tune from -120 to 120 with increments of 10.

Radio version date is 2020-06-14, latest one. Multiprotocol module does have a newer firmware so I will give that a shot.

pre:
# get crash_recovery
###WARNING: NO CUSTOM DEFAULTS FOUND###
crash_recovery_angle = 10
profile 0
Allowed range: 5 - 30

crash_recovery_rate = 100
profile 0
Allowed range: 50 - 255

crash_recovery = ON
profile 0
Allowed values: OFF, ON, BEEP, DISARM
Default value: OFF

# version
# Betaflight / STM32F411 (S411) 4.1.0 Oct 16 2019 / 11:57:34 (c37a7c91a) MSP API: 1.42
# manufacturer_id: MTKS   board_name: MATEKF411RX   custom defaults: NO
Setting crash_recovery_rate lower might help? I could try just setting it to DISARM with a higher angle.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Updated the multiprotocol module firmware and E010 still doesn't bind.

e: are there any alternative dirt cheap indoor drones that work with the tx16s?

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 31, 2020

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Cool, turned off crash recovery - indoors I'm already in stab mode, outdoors it's more risky than helpful at the moment.

Shame about the E010, it's fun to fly and the transmitter is so bad. Will see if banggood goes any cheaper on the tinybee although I'm getting better at small indoor gaps on the tinyhawk anyway.

Cheers.

Also the bit with the birds here is great.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Look where my SD card got to.

The socket on the case doesn't fit the actual receptacle, and then the card got wedged in a gimbal from moving it around.

Also the screws on the TX16s are bizarre - I had to order a precision Phillips #1 and file the point down, and a special Allen key since I hadn't yet accumulated a 2.5mm one.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Don't see any of the tick marks or identifiers on the screws for pozidriv etc. and they don't cleanly match up to anything here.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Are you happy with your tx16s? Thinking about replacing my qx7.

I'm new to this so don't have a good point of comparison. I like it and it seems to be good value but there's loads of positivity out there so I think I should put the negatives I've found. These are all minor but it's not perfect.

If you want crossfire you need to buy a module (arguably a positive for cost). I'm not sure you can get r9m.
Big two-position switch on the right is where I would have put arming but it's a momentary.
SD card slot is flawed.
Non-default tools needed to open, and it's just screws into plastic.
Clickwheel and system buttons setup is OK but I would rather have a d-pad.
Mine didn't come with a lanyard, would rather they kept that than the keyring.
Slightly too big for my smaller hands.
Didn't bind my E010 - I'm sure the problem there is the £10 quad.

If I already had a decent radio and wanted to upgrade I'd either look at crossfire or saving up for digital HD FPV stuff. The qx7 supports a multiprotocol module and hall effect gimbals if you want to make it match the tx16s's main features.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

If you're looking to airburst some seeds from 100m and let the natural dispersal do the rest, you can also go trebuchet. Some kind of timed-opening capsule.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Hot air balloon! Or even hydrogen.

Although the nice thing about a trebuchet is that it's the only option where you're guaranteed not to have to fish an aircraft out of a tree.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

I'm now a little worried that a hydrogen balloon could be too successful and you'll end up introducing invasive maples to some Pacific island.

Could use a quadcopter as backup to ensure they pop...

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Plugged into data port not charge port?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Also the "this is bowling, there are rules..." quote.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

http://www.happymodel.cn/index.php/2021/08/20/happymodel-mobula6-elrs-1s-65mm-brushless-fpv-brushless-whoop-drone/

Tinywhoops starting to come with onboard ExpressLRS, neat.
I like that ceramic antenna, the antenna broke on my Tinyhawk 2.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Cool. Does it feel durable?

e: And no regrets with Express LRS in general?

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 25, 2021

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Thanks! OK, next time I spend money on a quadcopter it'll be ExpressLRS.
AUX thing seems like no problem for me, just some fiddling in OpenTX.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Could try upgrading the antennae first? IDK how much difference it makes but it's a cheaper thing to give a go at least.

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 30, 2021

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Also, if you're going to fly indoors you'll want something with propeller guards.

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 26, 2021

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

I have the HS210 and it's very good for learning. I also have a tinyhawk 2 and it's brilliant, you can FPV but depending on where you are there are a lot of regulations around that, at least outdoors.
The other I'd recommend is an Eachine E010 - it's similar to the HS210, but like FPV drones doesn't have altitude hold which makes it more difficult and interesting to fly. If he's good with the helicopter that's an option, and they're dirt cheap on Banggood/Aliexpress. The controller is crap through so he'd need to tolerate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Tinyhawk 3 is out.
D8 not ELRS.