Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I just got a tiny hawk RTF Kit. I see stuff about using beta flight to calibrate stuff — is this necessary, and how do I actually connect any of this to a computer? A link to a recommended guide or something would be very helpful if possible I’m a bit lost.

E: I’m also having a hard time trimming it correctly, it seems to always drift to the side. Is there anything to know when doing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Splode posted:

It's a tinyhawk dude and I did say not to connect the battery

Ok so keep the battery disconnected, but why out of curiosity? I assume so it doesn’t start flying somehow?

Splode posted:

I got this kit a few months ago.

At the top of the drone, there's a USB micro connector. Plug in there (you won't need the battery connected).

You'll need to install betaflight Configurator, it should let you connect. This software is where you can mess with the calibration and tuning. You don't need to do any tuning yet but eventually you'll want to (when you want to go faster and do cool tricks) but this will let you calibrate the accelerometer. Put it on a surface so it's sitting level and press the calibrate accelerometer button and you should lose most of the drift.

I recommend Joshua Bardwell on YouTube for instructions on how to do pretty much everything

Thank you this is super helpful. Right now the drift is pretty bad so rly hoping this will work

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Zorilla posted:

Edit: it just occurred to me that you may actually be talking about flying it in angle mode and may be dealing with an accelerometer trim issue (i.e. the sensor that tells it which way is up). If you change into acro mode and it doesn't slowly roll to the side, it's probably not transmitter-related. You can adjust the accelerometer trim manually in Betaflight Configurator, and you can also use stick commands to do it while disarmed. Bardwell has a video on this here.

Thank you, this is perfect! This got the drone waaay more centered than it was before -- it still isn't a perfect hover obviously, but when I'm flying around now it really isn't noticeable.

I've been doing angle instead of acro since I'm currently stuck inside a pretty small apartment unfortunately and even angle is pretty challenging for me right now.

Just to make sure I am not doing something dumb here -- right now my left stick is throttle/yaw, and the right stick is pitch/roll. This is correct, right? Or do people usually do a different combo?
e: I'm pretty bad at keeping my throttle consistent while also turning at the same time right now.
e2: OK this seems to be standard, so I guess my issues are just purely my own problems lol.

Also, I've been sort of "pinching" my sticks between my fingers instead of just using my thumb alone like with a game controller. It sort of feels like this gives finer control, but it also seems weird enough that maaaybe this isn't the recommended route. Is there a particular suggestion on this?

tildes fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 24, 2020

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Good to know about angle mode! I figured out how to hook my transmitter up to my computer to run a simulator, so I guess I’ll use that to practice acro for the distant future when I have a larger drone 👍🏻👍🏻 TY for all the advice.

FPV is still blowing me away, it’s such a step up from flying my old little toy drones by line of sight.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Do you fly in angle or acro mode out of curiosity when using the little guy? I should definitely use my buildings parking garage, that didn’t occur to me.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Bumble Dong posted:

It’s also perfectly legal to fly a drone. It’s illegal however to shoot down a drone. Maybe try TFR if you want a better response; you just did the equivalent of asking a pet owners group how to kill your neighbors German Shepard.

Yeah I can’t imagine TFR being at all into doing illegal things with guns either tbh.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
So I’ve been pretty happy flying a little emax fpv drone around, but would like one for photography. Is the mavic mini or mavic 2 a good way to go to start out?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
What’s the recommended drone insurance? I have a Mini now and I’m very invested in it’s survival/replacement.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
This is a very specific q, but does anyone have recommendations for places in Northern California you can fly drones + which have interesting things to video? The ban in state and national parks is really cutting off many, many options. Flying the little fast FPV guy in the random fields which are reserved by RC clubs is fun, but for the mostly slow video-taking drone it's not super interesting.

(Also holy poo poo flying a drone with GPS and real hover is so incredibly easy after only flying little FPV drones. It definitely feels like taking the training weights off)

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Erh, you're putting the training wheels *on* when you get a GPS assisted drone.

Training weights as in like a weighted vest for doing pull ups! Putting on training wheels is another good analogy.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Does anyone have links/recs for a good crash course in drone photogrammetry? I have a DJI Mini2, and would basically just like to make some 3D models of my house/maybe some random rocks etc. if I can find places which have interesting landscapes + allow drone photography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I am so late but thank you that post was so helpful!