Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

osietra posted:

It's pretty crazy that there's not more monetising (gov. Regulating) going on with drones and joe P. They could basically become a small, portable, flying, exploding, peaceful message from the prophet M.

The M actually looks like an icon a drone would have.
It'll get used that way once then regulated into the ground. Like everything else in the history of nice things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Holy gently caress that guy

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The only thing you gotta watch for is not over discharging your source pack. All the packs I buy for general purpose electronics have over/under current cutoffs, don't RC packs have that?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lmao, makes sense. I've only ever flown a friend's 4 channel plane.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

insta posted:

He's probably going to just hook it enough to tumble it off the roof into a billion pieces below, but worst case if it also gets stuck, now there's a thousand dollars worth of drones up there, and somebody is going to care enough to make them all come down.
This.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A phantom with 4m of paracord with a triple hook at the end will mosdef be able to hook your drones off that roof. It'll prob crash in the process, so bring a camera.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Lemme tell you all, uncontrolled sadbrains magnifying every molehill into a volcanic, deadly mountain isn't much fun
Lemme tell you that as much as were laughing about the situation were all rooting for ya.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Boss has decided to borrow his bosses suburban, we are now driving back with ladder on roof

Presume one of us died if I don't post again
This is so great. This story deserves to end in thermonuclear warfare with that rooftop.

Ciaphas posted:

Victory

http://i.imgur.com/fJiDh8e.jpg

No deaths

Going to work, will evaluate damage later
aright aright aright

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Your LV alarm going off any time ever before your pack is dead should b cause for alarm. Either your pack's bad or you're drawing too much.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Discharge program is fine. Use a bag, obviously

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Up to you. Grass is greener and poo poo like that.

I prefer dRonin, because for one it deals with normalized values everywhere, using a formal control approach, instead of that MultiWii poo poo of wrangling raw gyro values into ESC commands by force that *flight inherited, and the dRonin guys rely on logs and math implementing stuff. The two most active devs are also actual control system engineers, and one even has a PhD in related stuff. Also, there's the autotune, which works well in most cases (but not all).

BorisB is getting wiser and starts to formalize the approach in Betaflight, by introducing more and more normalized math. He's even conceded that this fast loop times is bullshit, after doing open loop response tests manually (i.e. one of the things dRonin's autotune does), but still insists oversampling the gyros a lot is a good thing (which it is not, you cancel the ostensible advantage by running strong lowpass filters).

Cleanflight seems having gotten stale, from what I gleaned recently due to unrelated things.

Taulabs is dead.

OpenPilot is even deader.

Raceflight are retards.

I don't think there's anything else that runs on the standard STM32 MCUs used in most recent flight controllers. If you want to try something else, I'd suggest to go with Betaflight (--edit: They have CC3D builds).
Do you have a strong opinion on APM?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Is there a user-friendly mission planning solution for dRonin?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A weighted net with a line on one corner (for retrieval) works great too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Yolo Wizard posted:

DJI mavic lookin real good
They loving styled on gopro yeah.

Also a S2 buzzer is literally the best money you'll every spend on any flying RC related anything ever.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Stanford University has a code-commonality tool to identify what its name implies. Someone ran it over Raceflight and Cleanflight. Apparently the firmware part of the Raceflight codedrop matches Cleanflight by over 60%. Some complete rewrite that is. :laffo:
LMBO

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Can RC helicopters really autorotate effectively? It doesn't seem like the rotor has enough mass to really pull that off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKCmcHlfH9Q&t=567s

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

McMadCow posted:

Betaflight is really way above my pay grade. Every time I feel like I'm learning how to set it up and tune it, something else sets me back.

I've been having issues with my motors pulsing and vibrating along different points on the throttle, so today I went on to a local chatroom to try and figure out the issue. After going through every possible mechanical and software solution, someone realized I was using the current BF configurator with the not-current BF version. The result is my PID values being written at 100x what the configurator shows. So even though my PIDS were tuned against each other and the quad flew reasonably well, the ESCs and motors were literally (solder was flowing) burning up. :sigh: I'm expecting a huge improvement with some tuning once I take it out tomorrow, at which point I'll probably fly it full-speed into a wall.
For all of that stuff step 1 of troubleshooting is always "are you running the latest everything"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

McMadCow posted:

Yeah, it's frustrating for someone who doesn't naturally like to be constantly updating and early adopting.
I've got a gasser dyhedral balsa plane you might be interested in.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Xt60 and Molex
Totally worth doing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Yeyyyy, got my transmitter and camera, and it all works. Happy times are here again :unsmith:

One question, and one I should have asked a while ago: with the battery strapped in this thing is really back-heavy, at least from my balance-it-on-my-finger test. Explains why I have to pitch forward pretty hard to take off without flipping on the back, anyway. Is this something I should try to correct, like... I dunno, with some sort of weight on the front or something, or just leave it be?
Generally the battery is slung under the CG.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Two observations from this evening

- Funny how batteries last a lot longer when you're more likely to be at about 30% throttle than 70% at any given time :v:

- Jesus christ and all his saints flying FPV is loving terrifying
Now you're getting it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Admittedly a $300 DJI carrying 2 pounds of dynamite is a pretty scary proposition.
A DJI is nowhere near fast enough to avoid small arms. I'd be way more wary of something like a 250mm quad with a little HE and a frag sleeve. You could hit a phantom with irons pretty reliably. Once a good 250 racing frame starts hauling, not a chance in hell.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Get an tiny whoop and practice indoors.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Geburan posted:

Wouldn't it unbalance the cells though?
Your camera won't even register compared to motors.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd also avoid pushers as beginner planes 100% of the time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

tiny whoop. or a https://newbeedrone.com/collections/beeductrix-inductrix

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Yolo Wizard posted:

edit: also f4 based brushed flight controllers are available for some reason.
gotta have that 8K everything

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That wing's awful short :/

You could literally take the whole drat fuselage off, move to a puller prop, and lose no capability.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 5, 2016

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What battery are you running? That's a pretty small prop for a 1400kv motor.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Vortex and vendetta are the 2 worth having IIRC.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Not on a quad. It might get you ~5 miles total.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

For what kind of flying? If I were after a good platform with decent on-station time I'd probably make a tricopter.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah don't charge all of them at the same time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That thing will be broken in a week tops. Save for a tiny whoop.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

3d-printable materials aren't that great for arms and frames, they're more suited to non-structural elements like camera holders.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

thegasman2000 posted:

Good enough to prototype? Thinking carbon tape after?
I wouldn't bother. Just buy a popular frame, use the printer for doodads (motor/arm covers, antenna anchors, that sort of stuff).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Yolo Wizard posted:

buy a cnc and make your own cf frames :unsmigghh:
Or don't because CF dust is no joke

thegasman2000 posted:

Fair enough.

Is their a set of the electronics somewhere then?
What size quad do you have in mind and what do you already own?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gopro means 5 or 6 inch at the minimum IMO, and there's millions of decent frames for that. The problem is that getting into acro miniquads you need all the ancillaries and that means being out 500+ at the low end.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Golluk posted:

My short cutting from almost 2 years ago just came back and bit me. I wired the LED strips in my flying wing backwards, so instead of digging them out and fixing it, I wired it opposite at the battery plug (so black is pos, red is neg). So while this thing looks great, it also let off a small puff of smoke when I plugged it in. Wonder what the odds are a TS5823 Vtx is protected from reverse polarity :/

The little "wings" sit on the battery, with two velco straps holding it down.
That pod looks loving neato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You're not going to lift an action cam with a $100 drone flying on a 1S 0,5Ah battery.