Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hi! I am bored out of my god drat skull and have saved so much money from not eating out or going to bars during lockdown that i am considering my first quad to gently caress around with.

I am finding it hard to look at anything but the dji mini which seems super competent for the price, and i dont want to get into FPV or anything super complex because I know myself, and when i get into the 'hacker' level of a hobby i go down enormous rabbit holes.

I have a DJI Mini fly more kit in my shopping cart and am invoking the mandatory Buying Stupid poo poo On The Internet 48 hour cooldown before I hit Submit order. Is there anything else I should peruse on the weekend?

My goal is just to get comfy with controls, fly around the approved parks and maybe haul some 5 pound monofilament over an oak tree in my yard (i'm a ham radio operator and the higher we get our antenna wires, the better). I have no interest in trying to be a racer or a precision pilot at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
That's a fair take, thanks. I have always shied away from saying i'm a 'photographer' but i have also had a lot of fun trying to get good photos out of the Colorado landscape.

Side note - how do things perform in general at 5000-6000 feet elevation? Somebody called out that I should expect significantly reduced runtime up here in Denverland, and that's totally fair - how rough is it though?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Right now I do it with a slingshot and a spinning reel but that's more inaccurate than you'd think, i think i can set up drag and a couple of 1 ounce sinkers strategically placed to keep it out of the props on the descent on the far side.

I'm up for a goof and Microcenter has the Mini kit with the extra batteries at 499 in stock, so I might go get my curbside pickup on this weekend as I took the next few days off work.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
So y'all mean to tell me that this tiny rear end thing

can FLY?

for more than 30 seconds?

And shoot 1080p video?

i'm in awe. It's hard to get a grasp on exactly how small it is until it's in your hands.

Batteries charging now!

(Best Buy had a dozen in stock and had my curbside order ready in 15 minutes)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hell, for all I know, this thing can cue records with the decks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
update: took it for the first flight and i almost cried it's so fun.

I'm not very good or smooth but we had some stiff breezes and it was really fun to see it self stabilize during a gust

i'll post some clips soon

it's oddly threatening looking, given that i'm a person that is into a lot of scifi stuff and usually little things flying around are either spying on you or trying to shoot you.

here's me inspecting the top of my 30 foot tall ham antenna

(this is potato res because its a preview screenshot of the after effects window and i only shot at 1080p because i'm an old man that is Scared Of Megabytes)

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 26, 2020

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Little snip of the last ride of the day.

When I'm aimed south (the big mini storage unit will be on the left), that big lump on the horizon is Pikes' Peak, 65 miles away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75eG5IPJgkI

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Just a little 360 of denver as it's super pretty today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiagtAhQnOo

i got bolder here, this is about 60 meters up

I think I need to remember to fly away from myself/the launch spot a bit so i'm not looking STRAIGHT UP trying to keep it in view

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hm, maybe thats the prob. i'll play with it some

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh god drat it

i was uploading the potato res PREVIEW video that it puts on the phone

here we go, straight off the SD card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDs89F2hhFk

That's more like it!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Well, I broke the Mini.

Clipped my neighbor's garage and now i'm hosed with a GIMBAL STUCK error even though it does the initialization sequence and moves freely.

I dont see anything broken, any tips before I pack this up and send it back to best buy for a refund?

I did buy DJIcare

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Sitting at 10% gimbal calibration and wont proceed. I've tried all the internet "tug on the gimbal and see if it pops loose!" poo poo. It even does the startup cal where it tilts and twists. Just says it's broken.

That was a fun three days, i guess.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Some people are telling me to return it to best buy and buy an air 2, my heart tells me i'm not good enough to fly of these. I'm kind of emotional over it tonight so i'll sleep on it and make a decision tomorrow.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Tail between my legs, with a new sense of humility, I return with a new Mini. Best Buy took it for exchange, no questions asked.

I've now learned that these things have a bit wider turn radius than it appears on camera, and will treat this one much more carefully!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah that's some cursed poo poo. Looks like it's a federal crime to shoot down UAVs of any size. good luck using the "but i can shoot guns on my property" defense.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

if you need to use your chrome bang bang wee wee to attack the scary plastic helicopter you need to grow a set of balls.

You could even get your own runestone for the feat!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
buy your own drone, make sure it's fully charged, when it shows up next week follow it home and go knock on their door and make a new friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Warbird posted:

What are FAA regulations about taping a pointy stick on your drone to air joust other drones? Would it be possible to make a sport out of this? Man, RobotWars with semi-autonomous quads would be fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q69X23jI68c

Already a thing indoors!

They're built for super fast parts swaps and whatnot