Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Edit: Ignore this, it was meant for the regular steam thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Ulio posted:

Played Ace Attorney for the first time last year and loved it. I have the collection but so far only finished the first game. The writing, humor and characters are ON POINT. Only problem is that in some cases you basically have to trial and error to see what clue + evidence fit together. What happened to me many times is that I would get ahead of the trial and would figure out the key suspect but the game would force me to do everything step by step.

Yeah, I should clarify that my not liking the first half of most Ace Attorney games is not because of some failure of craft, but because it just doesn't click with me right away.

In the meantime:

COMPLETED: Gato Roboto. 3 hours. You are a kitty cat with access to a battlemech. Not bad but I'm overall glad I got it on sale. Decent enough as a palate cleanser.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I generally do okay with Ace Attorney by trying to take into account the context of what you're doing with the evidence. The game isn't really testing your ability to know what's going on, so much as your ability to explain what's going on to an idiot judge and an antagonistic prosecutor (or whatever the actual scenario is).

That doesn't always fix it, sometimes the game is looking for very weird logic, but it's why people who get mad at the game for not giving it to them when they've 'already figured out the mystery' are generally missing the point. The game wants you to show your work, because otherwise someone's going to stomp all over that work.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

That is an incredible perspective. I am glad that I am not the only one who doesn't immediately understand what's going on and just brute force it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I generally do okay with Ace Attorney by trying to take into account the context of what you're doing with the evidence. The game isn't really testing your ability to know what's going on, so much as your ability to explain what's going on to an idiot judge and an antagonistic prosecutor (or whatever the actual scenario is).

That doesn't always fix it, sometimes the game is looking for very weird logic, but it's why people who get mad at the game for not giving it to them when they've 'already figured out the mystery' are generally missing the point. The game wants you to show your work, because otherwise someone's going to stomp all over that work.

Ya totally agree with that. I've been stuck in some cases for hours not knowing what the game wants me to prove and then when you prove it's always something that I think was ALREADY established. That's why in AC games you need to establish every thing by the book step by step.

It's definitely a game that I don't mind using the internet for when I am stuck because some of the logic is just too out there. I am sure if you just save and try all the evidence you will eventually get the correct connection but that's just mind numbing. The best cases though the game does a great job of making it seem complex but at the same time the trial flows perfectly and you know what evidence to present, which statements to press. So you don't have to look up a guide.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Beaten: Shantae 1/2 genie hero

I finally put this one down for a bit. The final level is kind of a pain in the rear end. Generous hurtboxes + momentum = frustration. I still need to do 100% and the other stories but right now, just credits is fine.

Beaten: Glass Masquerade

Only puzzles I'm missing are from DLC. It was a blast to put together stained glass puzzles. Hard mode didn't add much difficulty either.

edit: gently caress it. I'm adding 1 more.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

I have got nothing done recently, so I decided to blast through a game.

Beaten: Bad North - Jotunn Edition
A roguelike strategy game where you control at most 4 groups of tiny vikings against island attacking, evil vikings. It's pretty fun, though after one playthrough I don't think there's much depth to the gameplay. Once you get to the tougher islands where you need to play a full squad, there are only a couple of viable loadouts. I'm also a bit miffed that the game corrupted a save game I had so I had to start over. I didn't beat the game on hard or get all of the unlockables, but I'm count this one as beat.

Get to add another one!

Superhot
While the gimmick of time only moving when you move is fun for a shooter, I don't think they fleshed it out enough. The only change to the basic gameplay is hotswapping which is introduced pretty late in the story and doesn't add that much. The levels were also pretty uninspired in my opinion and I didn't care for the aestethics. I'm not saying it's a bad game, just that it's more of an extended tech demo than a game. I'm sure the challenges and whatnot add game time, but I'm not about to play through the same levels as the base game, but with a handicap.

Kuule hain nussivan fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 22, 2020

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Nulled: Hammerwatch
Nulled: Hardcore Mecha
Nulled: Timespinner
Nulled: Halcyon 6 Starbase Command
I put a few hours into each of these games and none of them held my interest or they were just plain bad. Special award goes to Halcyon 6 with its 1 million overlapping menus and unnecessarily complex game systems that do not add either complexity or strategic decision making. Guess that'll teach me to impulse buy.

Completed: Shadow Tactics Blades of the Shogun
Loved this game and I am really keen to see how the developer handles making Desperados 3. I would happily play this through again.

I'm on my last 9 games. I am thinking of holding off on the Long Dark until the entire 5 chapters of the story are out as I am unlikely to revisit it if I get through to the end of chapter 3. The other game I am weary of is Pathfinder Kingmaker, I have heard it is still really buggy and I'm not keen on wasting my time if that is the case.

Still, that leaves me with 7 games if I discount those two.

Completed: Cuphead
There are so many things I like about this game(The awesome soundtrack and the amazing visuals), but it is really unfriendly if you aren't willing to learn death by death how each boss or level works. Otherwise enjoy the ride!.

edited because it wasn't worth a new post

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 29, 2020

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Beaten - Titan Souls
Fun game, though I found the hit mechanics to be a bit wonky. Not going to bother with hard mode.

Beaten - Alone in the Dark 2
Jesus christ, do not play this without a walkthrough. At least parts of the first one could be figured out but this, this was just something else. Did anyone play this without a walkthrough and get anywhere?

Kuule hain nussivan fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 27, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

My April was definitely a 'treat yourself' month.

#39: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (150+hr) - Every Animal Crossing has a point in the campaign where you hit credits. In New Horizons, it's when KK Slider visits your town for the first time, and you've reached three-star status as an island. I still play the game for an hour or so each day, which is why the hours are quite large!
#40: Escape From Tethys (4hr) - Cheap Metroidvania that I enjoyed, it was simple and short and decent.
#41: Peggle (3hr) - The origin of the ironicat, it's actually a fun chill out game. But everyone knows that, it's peggle. I just never finished it before.
#42: Super Skelemania (1hr) - Played some games from a free itch.io stay at home promotion. This one's a Metroidvania where you're a skeleton.
#43: Curse of the Crescent Isle DX (1.5hr) - This was a master-system inspired game, with bad master-system gameplay. Wouldn't recommend.
#44: Journey to the Savage Planet (7hr) - Now we're talking! A first-person Metroidvania on an alien world that's fun to traverse and explore. Going in my top 5 for the year for sure.
#45: Bejeweled 3 (3hr) - Another Popcap game.. there are "quest mode" levels to complete so it can technically be 'beaten' in that sense.
#46: Luna's Wandering Stars (2.5hr) - A puzzle game where you manipulate orbits to collect all the stars, can be a little brain-bending at times, I didn't 100% it but I played enough to get to credits so that was good enough for me.
#47: Spark the Electric Jester (3hr) - Spark the character is just some odd scribbles... but Spark the game is pretty loving good. The art and music are on par with Sonic Mania, and the level design for a Sonic-style game is solid. The one main drawback is that this is not necessarily a game where you go fast all the time.. you don't even encounter a loop-de-loop until the second half of the campaign.
#48: Mega Man 6 (2.5hr) - A good send-off to the NES Mega Man series, and the best of the second trilogy. Has some really good music, OK level design, but my favorite addition are the Rush Suits, which give you a jetpack and power-punch, neither of which require collecting energy. The game actually hides the real version of bosses in some levels and makes you explore with the powerups to find them. So I actually liked going back to stages.
#49: Still Not Dead (1.5hr) - A retro-FPS roguelike that was kinda fun, just running around serious-sam style blasting at dozens of enemies chasing after you. Not much to it though.
#50: Dark Forces (5hr) - Star Wars meets Doom meets.. lots of platforming. The game doesn't hold up as well as Doom, or even its sequel Jedi Knight. The levels are way too big and require too much backtracking, with texturing that is very samey and makes it easy to get lost (also not the best keybinding either).
#51: Graveyard Keeper (45hr) - There's a subgenre-within-genres that games like Fantasy Life, Rune Factory, and Graveyard Keeper belong to, where you explore the world, discover new jobs you can do, and become a jack of a billion trades, and it really vibes with me a lot. Graveyard Keeper might be the best of them, WITH ONE MAJOR FLAW: the inventory spaces.. you can build chests for storage that get used for crafting in certain areas, so that's good, but drat I needed some kind of inventory expansion upgrade. Actually, there's one other major flaw, which is that the endgame requires some serious RNG, like collecting Dark Organs basically comes down to waiting to see what you get once each day, and hoping you get lucky.
#52: Hypnospace Outlaw (7hr) - COOLPUNK IS NOT DEAD!!!
#53: Gorogoa (1.5hr) - Story for this one was kind of underwhelming but I really liked the gameplay of moving panels around, detaching foregrounds from backgrounds, and connecting unlikely panels together. Really cool game.
#54: Unheard (3.5hr) - Despite the awkward localization that results in some ridiculously over-the-top cheesy acting, Unheard is very engrossing in the same way that Ace Attorney or The Invisible Hours are. You watch a scene play out and can rewind/fast forward, while choosing which characters to follow and listen to. In the process of running around and seeing what all the characters are doing in the timeline, you eventually piece together how things played out. The only bad thing about this game, other than the acting, is the groan-worthy twist at the end of the game.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Beaten - 199X
This is a bit of a weird one. It says it's a narrative game, with a retro game segment in between each narrative segment. You've got your arcade side-scrolling brawler, shooter and runner, as well as a home-console rpg-like. It's a beautiful game, the graphics are gorgeous. The problem is, neither the game segments or the narration is particularily strong, so the overall is pretty meh. Luckily, it's short. Only took me about 2 hours from start to finish. So go for it, you might get a few nostalgia kicks from the games.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I continue to be busier during the lockdown than out of it, but I got some decent game time done in April and knocked off a few titles I've had kicking around in the backlog for a while. I also treated myself to the FFVII Remake at full price as I'm saving a tonne money by being unable to go out to bars and clubs at the moment. I also signed up to Xbox Game Pass for a month (mainly for Streets of Rage 4), but I'll be cancelling that sub as I have more than enough unplayed videogames sitting around.

Full writeups behind the links.

BEATEN: Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4, 2020)

BEATEN: Asura’s Wrath (PS3, 2012)

BEATEN: Metal Gear (MSX2, 1987)

BEATEN: Astral Chain (Switch, 2019)

BEATEN: John Woo presents Stranglehold (Xbox 360, 2007)

BEATEN: Assassin’s Creed Origins: The Hidden Ones DLC (PC, 2018)

I'm currently playing Streets of Rage 4 and ICO, but hope to also get Robinson: The Journey, Dark Souls 3 and the final Assassin's Creed Origins DLC out of the way in May.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Played this last year and absolutely loved it but I did have similar gripes as you. The gameplay is not special and the dlc ending is legendary levels of corporate fuckery but like you said there is nothing out there like it. I watch quite a bit of anime and still haven't seen anything this over the top. Capcom actually said they didn't expect it to sell so well in the west when it only sold 30k units. It sold a bit better in Japan and Famitsu the big reviewing magazine gave it an almost perfect score. I wish they rerelease it with the ending, maybe on pc that would be possible.

I know it is basically an interactive movie and a lot of people just suggest watching a video on youtube but playing the game feels a lot better especially with the amazing classical music in it and original ost is also good. It's one of the few games where the QTE don't feel that bad. Cyberconnect2 are really good at making these types of games, the Naruto fighting games have fights that are more epic than the anime. Asura's Wrath is definitely a rough forgotten gem but it's hard to recommend cause of the dlc shenanigans + no easy way to play it.

Also Stranglehold is another great gem from 360/ps3 era. I am sure the servers down since midway went under but this game actually had online and each time you jumped it would go in slow mo for everyone around you(same as in singleplayer). It was so broken haha, kinda want to play it again since the gameplay is just pure joy.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 1, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ulio posted:

Played this last year and absolutely loved it but I did have similar gripes as you. The gameplay is not special and the dlc ending is legendary levels of corporate fuckery but like you said there is nothing out there like it. I watch quite a bit of anime and still haven't seen anything this over the top. Capcom actually said they didn't expect it to sell so well in the west when it only sold 30k units. It sold a bit better in Japan and Famitsu the big reviewing magazine gave it an almost perfect score. I wish they rerelease it with the ending, maybe on pc that would be possible.

I know it is basically an interactive movie and a lot of people just suggest watching a video on youtube but playing the game feels a lot better especially with the amazing classical music in it and original ost is also good. It's one of the few games where the QTE don't feel that bad. Cyberconnect2 are really good at making these types of games, the Naruto fighting games have fights that are more epic than the anime. Asura's Wrath is definitely a rough forgotten gem but it's hard to recommend cause of the dlc shenanigans + no easy way to play it.

Also Stranglehold is another great gem from 360/ps3 era. I am sure the servers down since midway went under but this game actually had online and each time you jumped it would go in slow mo for everyone around you(same as in singleplayer). It was so broken haha, kinda want to play it again since the gameplay is just pure joy.

I read that CyberConnect2 was originally developing the Final Fantasy VII Remake, but that Square was unhappy with their direction. After playing Asura's Wrath I'm really curious about what they were planning to do that Square hated so much.

Hell yeah on the score too. Particularly loved Yasha's Morricone-esque theme. Fighting to this rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIufkLyJuMM

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Looked at some games, didn't really like a lot of them.

Nulled: Gorogoa
Way too much random clicking and dragging. There might be a story in there but I didn't get it.
The gameplay might also be good, if I just got some idea of what I was supposed to do.

Finished: Hero of the Kingdom II
Nice little casual adventure-ish thing.

Nulled: Hitman
I just installed it so I could get it registered for levels to run in...

Nulled: Hitman 2
Which I then realized is just not for me.
I saw Too Shy Guy play a level and it looked really awesome. Then I got this up and running, and I just wasn't into it at all.
I did the tutorial levels for both I and II, but that was as far as I got. I could say that I will come back to it later, but I would be lying if I said so.
Funny thing is, I enjoyed Hitman Absolution, but that one I also played like the Dishonored games, where I was stealthing around as much as I could, and when getting caught, I murdered everyone.
Oh well, I got the games very cheap...

Finished: LEGO Jurassic World
I didn't realize until I started up the game, that this actually covers all movies up to and including Jurassic World. That I only remembered the story of the original movie doesn't matter. The LEGO games are fun time wasters, though I didn't care for the sound bites from the movies. Should stick with the silent movie treatment or write original dialogue.

Nulled: Xenus 2: White Gold
Crazy super janky open world action FPS RPG, where cut scenes are in English and in game dialogue is in Russian.
I could live with the old graphics, but everything is just bad here: the movement, the shooting, the menus, the map, etc.
I'm not even sure it was a "decent enough" back in 2008.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Beaten: Horizon Zero Dawn
I know it is not a Steam game (yet) but, after pumping something like 60 hours into this game I finally decided to complete it. The ending was a tad disappointing and the quests were never amazing but overall it was a great game. It is worth the pick up on Steam when they finally release it.

Beaten: Dead Cells
While I liked this game enough to play through at least 1 run and explore some of the other areas and bosses it never really gelled with me the way I thought it would when I originally bought it.

Nulled: Crying Suns
an FTL wannabe that I kickstarted and does some interesting things but, never grabbed me the way FTL did. A few hours in I died and felt none of the compulsion or enjoyment that drove me to try over and over (and over) again in FTL.

Shelved: Battle Brothers
I really wanted to like this game I have tried playing it a few times but I am always left really frustrated. For a strategy game, there is just a little bit too much RNG at play and the at times snail-like pace of progression doesn't help either. I get it is meant to be HARD but there is a lot of complex systems in play and nothing is clearly explained. Into the Breach is hard but fair, you rarely get screwed over unless you made a dumb mistake. I think in the end I liked the idea of me playing it more than actually doing so.

I have access to a PS4 (it's how I played Horizon) and I started playing the Last of Us remastered. Even after a few hours of play, I can comfortably say that the game is amazing and I can't wait to play it again. It is also kind of weird given the premise of the game is the collapse of the world after a global pandemic of a different (admittedly outlandish) kind.

Edited for a minor update

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 6, 2020

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

I read that CyberConnect2 was originally developing the Final Fantasy VII Remake, but that Square was unhappy with their direction. After playing Asura's Wrath I'm really curious about what they were planning to do that Square hated so much.

Hell yeah on the score too. Particularly loved Yasha's Morricone-esque theme. Fighting to this rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIufkLyJuMM

I like CC2 but they do have a thing for QTEs maybe that and also they have never worked a game that big. They just made DBZ Kakarot which looks like a pretty interesting game albeit with some flaws. Ya that track is one of the standouts along with the main theme

Hoboskins posted:

Beaten: Horizon Zero Dawn
I know it is not a Steam game (yet) but, after pumping something like 60 hours into this game I finally decided to complete it. The ending was a tad disappointing and the quests were never amazing but overall it was a great game. It is worth the pick up on Steam when they finally release it.

I have access to a PS4 (it's how I played Horizon) and I started playing the Last of Us remastered. Even after a few hours of play, I can comfortably say that the game is amazing and I can't wait to play it again. It is also kind of weird given the premise of the game is the collapse of the world after a global pandemic of a different (admittedly outlandish) kind.

Zero Dawn is like a jack of all trade imo, it never excelled in one specific thing but was very good in a lot of things. The combat was imo more fun than generic tps though so I ll give them. Also I just got Tlou remastered as well, been wanting to play it after I finish what I am playing now. I heard so much hype for this game hopefully it delivers.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
BEATEN: New Super Mario Bros Wii. Fun game, though when you play it alone you can tell there are parts where nothing much happens for a couple minutes because this is where you give your siblings hell.

BEATEN: Recursed. I think this is what you get when you try to be a game like Baba is You but miss the mark. There's one core mechanic, and then it gets deployed in increasingly clever ways. The problem is that the core mechanic was too "big" to really fit well into my head while I played. I needed to keep notes, and if I'm keeping notes in a puzzle platformer it had drat well better be something more like La-Mulana.

I also started knocking out the rest of the Castlevania Collection.

COMPLETED: Castlevania Adventure II: Belmont's Revenge. After the first Castlevania Adventure was absolute garbage, I had low hopes for this one, but it turns out to actually be extremely good. Much better controls, significantly less punishing mechanics while still pulling no punches. The last few bossfights are hot garbage, still, but that's why M2 gave us save states.

COMPLETED: Super Castlevania IV. Speaking of savestates. I started out trying to play honestly, giving myself "infinite lives" by savestating at the start of each checkpoint. Pretty soon I was savestating at the start of each screen, and by the end it was multiple times per bossfight. This really didn't click with me the way Bloodlines did.

That said, I did appreciate the way that a bunch of trash-tier enemies from SotN showed up here and were actually real threats.

The only Castlevania game I have left in that collection is Kid Dracula, which looks cute but maybe not what I need right now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It’s wild to me you had an easier time with Bloodlines than SC4.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Yeah, I'm not 100% sure what it was at the micro-scale. At the macro scale, it's that Bloodlines is much shorter and enemies have way less health, but a lot of the "less trouble" was just that I felt like a had a better sense of how to get Morris and Lecarde to do what I was asking them to do, while I spent a lot more time (literally) flailing around with Simon.

By stage 8 or so we were getting into the parts of SC4 where it just kind of goes "oh, I see you have a health bar, how quaint" and basically everything is instant death.

Might have just been that I grew up with a Genesis instead of a SNES, and Bloodlines definitely plays more like Sonic The Belmont than an upscaled NESvania.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I see Konami added the Japanese versions which weren’t artificially inflated in difficulty.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Beat: Sniper Elite 3 - Co-oped with my brother. Pretty fun, but not enough slow motion captures of bullets ripping through enemy testicles. :rolleyes: We were definitely not patient enough to truly stealth the game, so most maps ended up with us alerting enemies and then mowing them down as they tried to find us.

Beat: Picross S (Switch) - A nonogram puzzle game. Nothing special about it.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
COMPLETED: The Frostrune. Atmospheric Viking-Age ghost story graphic adventure. I bought it mainly because the composer was the same as the composer for Cloudbuilt, which I loved. This game was fine, though not exceptional. One notable part of it is that all the voiceover is in Old Norse.

COMPLETED: realMyst Masterpiece Edition. This was my third or fourth playthrough of Myst, but my first on this edition of it. It's Myst. I'm unlikely to replay it again any time soon, since I now remember how annoying so much of the game is.

COMPLETE: The Keys to Maramon. an action RPG from 1990. It's got the kind of jank you'd expect from such a thing, but I really liked the game loop, where you have to balance delving the dungeons to find the source of the town's monster problem with actually defending the town from the hordes of monsters that regularly show up to burn it down.

Also check out our glorious Sense Motive roll right here:

UP NEXT: Probably back to console gaming for awhile, honestly.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

BEATEN - The Messenger
This was a very cool metroidvania. I almost finished it about 6 months ago, but burned out on it for a while and finally blasted through it yesterday

Long story short, the gameplay and story are pretty great. The switch from linear platformer to metroidvania is handled well. The only complaint I really have is that once you hit metroidvania mode, there can be a lot of running around to get stuff. I would have preferred a bit more options when it comes to fast travel.

BEATEN - Mutant Year Zero: Road To Eden
Another game that I was (literally) a fight away from finishing, but didn't pick up for months. Finally decided to do a fight today and it turned out to be the last one in the game.

It's a bit of a mixed bag. I think the core gameplay is solid and I like the setting and story. The only issue is that the game does expect you to pick off wandering enemies silently, but most of the time enemies have more health than your silent weapons can churn out in a turn. So you more or less have to build your characters/weapons for max crit chance and then RNG scum until you get all crits. It's not the worst possibly thing, but I wish they would have given you a bit more options for silent takedowns. Still, good enough that I will get the DLC if it shows up on sale.

Kuule hain nussivan fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 10, 2020

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

BEATEN - The Legend Of Grimrock
Really good grid based dungeon crawler. Is fun and nostalgic, but also manages to keep away most of the stuff from the 80s that just make the games not fun these days. A brilliant romp all around.

Except for the final boss. Which is a cube that can roll over your party killing them in one shot. And the fight happens in an area with tons of pits (which don't kill you, but cause you to have to go find a portal in a basement area to get back to the main area). And the area is also full of bog standard enemies, which both cause you damage with their ranged attacks (annoying) or block you causing you to get crushed by the boss (frustrating as gently caress). Still, A+ game, skip the final boss if you don't feel like it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
BEATEN - House Flipper

The controls are janky but once you get into it, it's real chill and fun. It's also been fun to follow some of the achievement guides where you sell a house by just cleaning up the trash and nothing else.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

BEATEN - The Lords of the Earth Flame

Very simple, very short CYOA-game. There's no character building, no stats, no combat. Just read, make an occasional choice and read some more. It's also very short, I got all the endings (or at least all the achievements) in an hour or so. The writing and art are pretty decent, certainly not bad enough that I'd complain about them. Definitely not worth the full 10 bucks it costs full price, but if you can get it for a buck or already have it from a bundle or something, it's worth a playthrough.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
BEATEN: Minit. Pretty cute, and I like the high concept, but the event triggers threw me pretty hard and I had to hit hints more than I liked for a game this short.

BEATEN: PixelJunk Shooter. I like that this is a twin-stick shoot-em-up where you don't do much shooting; the game is mostly about rescuing trapped scientists and the shooting it mostly to clear paths or fight very occasional enemies. Unfortunately, the parts where you have to fight things tend to be really bad, and I'm not at all appreciative of the amount of mashing I had to do on R1.

I'm calling it beaten and not completed because I left a bunch of treasure uncollected, but I did make sure to run perfect rescues of every possible level.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

BEATEN - Guacamelee 2
Man, this was a chore for me. I liked the first one, but something about this just didn't sit well with me. I'm not sure if it was the writing, or the gameplay being practically identical with the first one or what, but it just did not click. The last temple in particular was a nightmare. But, I beat it on normal and that's enough for me.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

BEATEN - Guacamelee 2
Man, this was a chore for me. I liked the first one, but something about this just didn't sit well with me. I'm not sure if it was the writing, or the gameplay being practically identical with the first one or what, but it just did not click. The last temple in particular was a nightmare. But, I beat it on normal and that's enough for me.

Ya I loved the first one but a sequel makes no sense to me as it's not a setting that has that much depth. I feel like they got all the Mexican myths/legends in the first game pretty well.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

They sure did make a lot of money off it, though.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya good on them I bet it's a totally great functioning game just seems like the setting was not deep enough for multiple games. I mean its super cheap sale on Steam right now I might just get it to try it out.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Completed - Bye-Bye Boxboy (3DS): I had purchased this game but completely skipped it. After beating Boxboy + Boxgirl on the Switch, I figured I should go back and play this one. It is another great entry in the series. Solid puzzle platforming, and the later levels are quite challenging.

Beat - Shovel Knight: King of Cards: Finally got around to the final DLC for this game. I enjoyed it as much as the next person, but I really did not care for Joustus. If I were to rank the campaigns, it'd probably go Shovel Knight; Specter Knight; King Knight; Plague Knight - but they were all very enjoyable. Definitely one of the few Kickstarters that delivered fully on its promise (even if it took more than 6 years to do so).

Nulled - Alien Swarm: In trying to find a free co-op game to play with a friend new to PC games that wasn't Fortnite or whatever, we stumbled across this game from 2010. It's definitely geared towards having a full 4-person squad because it gets pretty challenging (even on Normal difficulty) after a few levels. Won't be playing it again, but it was enjoyable while it lasted.

Edit:

Nulled - Moon Chronicles (3DS): I believe this was bundle fodder at some point. The 3DS is not a platform I enjoy playing FPSes on.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 1, 2020

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Since you bring up shovel Knight - king of cards, I too also completed the campaign and it's important to note that the arrogant knight you play as doesn't care for Joustus either.

Farewell to shovel Knight. It's a remarkable set of games and they delivered on their promises. The praise and cameos from other games really show that just focusing on making a drat good game, and people will play and love it.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 29, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Thanks to the Turbografx16 Mini and Neogeo Mini, I had a huge month of May. most of my game write-ups are in the may chat thread.

#55: From Beyond: Prologue (1.5hr) - C+
#56: Elsinore (8hr) - B
#57: Detective Di (3hr) - B
#58: Crossed Swords (2.5hr) - C-
#59: Mutation Nation (1hr) - C-
#60: Robo Army (1hr) - C
#61: Art of Fighting (1.5hr) - D+
#62: Magician Lord (2hr) - D+
#63: Fatal Fury Special (1hr) - C+
#64: Kizuna: Tag Team Encounter (1hr) - B-
#65: World Heroes Perfect (1.5hr) - C+
#66: The Last Blade 2 (1.5hr) - A
#67: Ghost Pilots (3hr) - C-
#68: A Case of Distrust (2hr) - B-
#69: Crypt of the Necrodancer (3hr) - A-
#70: Metal Slug (1hr) - B+
#71: Last Resort (1hr) - B
#72: Blue's Journey (1hr) - C
#73: Noctropolis (4hr) - C-
#74: Blazing Star (1hr) - A-
#75: Blue Toad Mystery Files (6hr) - D+
#76: Big Brain Wolf (5hr) - D+
#77: Last Door S2 (4hr) - B-
#78: Paradigm (3hr) - C+
#79: Ley Lines (.5hr) - C+
#80: Eastshade (7hr) - B-
#81: Splatterhouse (1.5hr) - B-
#82: Spriggan (1hr) - A
#83: Spriggan Mk 2 (1hr) - C+
#84: Blazing Lazers (1.5hr) - C
#85: Sengoku 3 (2hr) - B-

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Complete: You and Me and Her

A very interesting take on a romance based visual novel. A classic in my book.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Beaten: Dark Souls 1 Remaster
This isn't my first time playing DS, I have 150+ hours on DS1 and multiple playthroughs and ng+. So this is kinda cheating but I really wanted to replay this game and try a mage build since I never got to using magic in any of my other runs(dex and strength). Not much to say on the game other than what has already been said many times before. Knowing the entire world layout is the fun part of replays of Dark Souls 1. The interconnected world really shines in multiple playthroughs, you can tackle areas in whatever order you want. The mage build was pretty op since you are not gated by stamina but spell usages and those are easy to rack up.

Beaten: Uncharted 4: A Thieves End
I am not much of a console gamer but I will play the exclusives when I can. Uncharted was one of my favorite series of the last gen. Finally got to play the latest game. It's same old Uncharted but the story, writing and characters are the best they ever been. You really care about what's going to happen to Nate and Elena. The gameplay of uncharted is very generic thrid person cover shooter with some platforming and puzzles thrown in there. The set pieces are amazing and remind me of some of the ridiculous moments in movies like Indiana Jones or Fast & Furious. The series is know for this although I feel like Uncharted 4 is the weakest in this department. It's not that the set pieces in 4 are bad but they are barely any. The ones that are there feel like remade versions of the set pieces from the past game. The convoy chase in game 2 is basically what the Madagascar chase is but maybe a bit better. 2 and 3 were just stacked with amazing set pieces one after another, to the point it felt too much. But 4 goes a bit too much in the opposite direction. It's still exciting but not the same level as before. Despite that its a great game because this is the most personal story and adventure Nate has.

Beaten: Dynasty Warrior 8XL
Ah Dynasty Warrior, the series that tries to simulate historical battles during the Romance of the Three Kingdoms period. It's not really known for it's historical accuracy as you can ride tigers and bears. Always felt like this series gets a lot of crap by people who never played them because it looks so repetitive. I mean it definitely is repetitive in terms of all the enemies all being very similar and level design being very simplistic. I think I got a better opinion of it this time, it seems like there are a lot more weapons now and a lot more unique combos. People who haven't played it won't realize how over the top these games are, like there is one combo by one of the main units where he just skateboards on humans, some units have special abilities that create clones, some have elemental stuff, people levitating, combos that just juggle 400 people in the air for the whole map if you want. I think the biggest problem is that the game on normal is too easy and hard is basically to replay a stage after you level up a character.

Beaten: Shadow Hearts 1
This is a little JRPG from the early ps2 era. It has a pretty unique setting for a JRPG with Lovecraftian themes and occult horror bits. Among JRPG fans it's famous for its judgment ring which adds an active component to the turn based system. It does make the game a bit more interesting than your traditional jrpg but after a while it loses it's flavor. There aren't any other combat mechanics other than typical rock/paper elemental weaknesses but the game is pretty easy so you don't even need to use those except in few cases. The setting and atmosphere of this game are amazing especially thanks to the music which is one of the most underrated JRPG osts. It's not all dark and gloomy because this game is super cheesy and has lots of light hearted moments. Probably one of the best paced JRPGs, you are moving from one place to another and the story is always moving at a good pace. You are never overburdened with sidequests or massive grinding. If you are a JRPG fan and want to try something really unique in the genre try this.

Beaten: Last Of Us Remastered
I had really high expectations of this game especially considering people always brought it up as Naughty Dog's magnus opus even though Uncharted and Jak are amazing series in their own rights.I always thought the coregameplay of Uncharted was rear end. In here it's not some super deep survivor or brilliant level design like Resident Evil but the atmosphere, story, writing is what makes the game so tense. I wish they went more into the survival mechanics like maybe use the spore areas as a timer mechanic so you have pressure to get out quickly. There was also no difference between Ellie/Joel gameplay wise which is odd. As usual my complaints with Naughty Dog are not the characters/story/setting but gameplay although like I said I think its better than Uncharted in that regards. I am also playing through the Left Behind dlc, almost done with that, it gives some more background to Ellie's character. All in all it's a very good game maybe a bit overhyped even though I loved it. Also not enough people mention the amazing OST.

That was March to May for me. I think all those games were quite good, DW8XL was the most fun because some characters were just so great to play as and DS1 as mage was fun to feel overpowered compared to the bosses.. I bought FF7R and Persona 5 royal but I knew those would be absolute timesinks so I didn't get into that. I am currently almost done with Link to the Past which I am at the final dungeon for. So many great games out this year and my backlog keeps growing.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

BEATEN - Helltaker
Cool short block puzzler about kicking things and hooking up (in a work safe manner) with demons. Also includes an arcadey final boss which is completely different from the rest of the game. Doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Edit: Oh yeah, it's free. Go try it.

Double edit:

BEATEN - 10000000
Pretty great match three game. Has much better progression than most similar games and always has a goal you're working toward.

Kuule hain nussivan fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 5, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Had another busy month in lockdown, but played through a load bunch of neat games. In a good mood because these reviews got me a job working on a movie script related to video games that I'm getting paid quite well for. I've also been playing a bunch of Fortnite with my 8-year-old nephew to help out with babysitting and have gone from pretending to enjoy it to actually enjoying it, so I'm going to write more about that soon.

Full writeups behind the links.

Metal Gear Online (PS2, 2006)

Injustice 2 (PS4, 2017)

Daytona USA (Arcade, 1993, Xbox 360, 2011)

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2, 1990)

The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask (N64/3DS, 2000)

Assassin’s Creed Origins: The Curse of the Pharoahs DLC (PC, 2018)

Robinson: The Journey (PSVR, 2016)

Datura (PS3, 2012)

Ico (PS2, 2001)

Streets of Rage 4 (PC, 2020)

I'm about halfway through Dark Souls 3 at the moment and currently playing through Mortal Kombat 9. May also do Jedi Fallen Order in June. We'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

As a fellow person who didn't play Majora's Mask fully until the 3DS remake, I really enjoyed your review of it. I can't wait to read your thoughts on the Oracle games because those are 2 of my favorites in the series. But that could be rose-tinted glasses, since I haven't played them in a long time.

Also, congrats on the job! Well-deserved, as your write-ups are always top notch.