Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Mr Right posted:

If you use this calculator it gives you a number beside each game to really tell you what game #27 is.

e: forgot the link
Unfortunately, Steam Calculator isn't really accurate as it's missing games it seems for no reason. Example: It's missing the third season of Sam & Max. I'm sure it's probably missing others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I decided to completely ignore my random pick (for the moment) and play Hitman Blood Money instead after seeing it's general praise.

I gotta say, the game is pretty drat hard and unforgiving at times. I'm up to the mental hospital level (e: rehab clinic actually) and it's been a struggle every bit of the way. Yet it's still very fun as you try to figure out the best way to accomplish the level.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 21, 2011

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!
So I finished up Batman, Shank and DoW II. I'll have to play through DoW II: Chaos Rising at some point, but not now. God help me, for some reason, I started playing Clive Barker's Jericho and it's not bad. The squad dynamic is fun, and makes up for the uninspired level design. I think I'll start on Bully next and maybe try to finish up the main campaign in Just Cause 2.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
My friend bought Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, and I went all in on the Squenix pack before the weekend ended. We played almost all the way through it last night, and it is pretty great.

I want to try Geomancer, but I'm afraid I won't like the genre much.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Mr Right posted:

http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/mrright

Found 334 Games with a value of
$4455.17 USD

Random.org gave me 238; S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
I was tempted to play it but it's actually one of the few games I have completed. Fantastic game though.

Random.org gave me 53; Dead Space
Re-rolling because it's a game I'll definitely play without having an RNG influencing me and because it's not something that'll download for tonight.

Random.org gave me 255; Shattered Union
Ok I'll play it. And I'll give a trip report. :smithicide:
- the game doesn't work with W7! :argh:

Random.org gave me 149; Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Looking forward to this. I loved the Playstation Tomb Raiders.

After that game has finished downloading, I'll start downloading...
Random.org gave me 323; Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® II
I can live with that!

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is down. It took me 5 hours to complete but I didn't attempt many of the challenges so going for them there would be about another 10 hours involved as well as another 5 hour playthrough with Kane and Lynch as well as whatever other DLC packs there are.

The game isn't one I'll forget, it's a shame I'll remember it for the wrong reasons. The controls are horrible, on the same level as flying in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas with the mouse and keyboard. You won't understand how bad they are until you play through it.

The game costs £10 new and ignoring the horrible controls, this is an entirely fair price for this game. Even more so since this is a Steam thread where none of us will have paid full price.

On to Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® II now I guess! Not really sure what to expect length wise but this is more my type of game anyway.

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo

Tecman posted:

It's actually dumber than that, I like(d) to pop-open the in-game help channel and just laugh at your average questions / troll people / actually help sometimes. Hell, sometimes I'd let the game run while I'd read the silly channel from bed. If I hadn't figured out how to run the Steam version of EVE without going through Steam, the hours count would be about ten times higher due to letting the game run overnight. :ohdear:

Rarely play nowadays, though.

If the steam app counted goonfleet forums time into that, the number would overflow the counter. I probably spent a ten to one ratio of forums time to actual game time.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Mr Right posted:

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is down. It took me 5 hours to complete but I didn't attempt many of the challenges so going for them there would be about another 10 hours involved as well as another 5 hour playthrough with Kane and Lynch as well as whatever other DLC packs there are.

The game isn't one I'll forget, it's a shame I'll remember it for the wrong reasons. The controls are horrible, on the same level as flying in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas with the mouse and keyboard. You won't understand how bad they are until you play through it.

Yea, I tried using mouse and keyboard for GoL, but I ended up reverting to my 360 controller. The controls aren't TOO bad for most instances, but there's some challenges that are near impossible without a controller.

Ravenger
Sep 20, 2004

fatpat268 posted:

Yea, I tried using mouse and keyboard for GoL, but I ended up reverting to my 360 controller. The controls aren't TOO bad for most instances, but there's some challenges that are near impossible without a controller.

It wouldn't have been so bad if they'd made the keyboard controls so they were isometric, i.e. pressing down makes you go diagonally down the screen rather than straight down, or at least have an option to do it. It's only what every isometric 3D game has been doing for years. As it is you have to hold two keys just to run straight.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Mr Right posted:

On to Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® II now I guess! Not really sure what to expect length wise but this is more my type of game anyway.

Well I'm only 21 minutes and one mission into the game but, I really regret not playing this earlier. It's not a game where one wrong move has me dead due to high health, you don't need to stick with the same weapon throughout the campaign AND you level up, upgrading skills as you do. This is gonna be a fun game. But it's time to install the game I'll be completing after this one.

Random.org gave me 206; Prison Tycoon 4: SuperMax
Tried it before, the game didn't have a manual or a tutorial in the game and I was completely confused so I'm giving it a miss on that basis. Tycoon games are usually fun but only till you find the thing that breaks them.

Random.org gave me 122; Harvest: Massive Encounter
It has won awards. It has Steam achievements. It really doesn't appeal to me but I'll give it a go!

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
I successfully finished my first game from my backlog thanks to this thread! It was probably the longest game on my list too (The Witcher). Now playing Stalker: Call of Pripyat and really enjoying that as well.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Awcko posted:

I just beat AC2, and gosh what an ending that was. I can't wait for the PC release of Brotherhood.

Ezio's face in this screenshot pretty much sums up my reaction to to the ending.

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

Now moving onto Bit.Trip, this shouldn't take long.

Oh god, if you thought AC2's ending was weird, well, Brotherhoods is even more absurd.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Welp, I accidentally got my Minecraft working again. gently caress.

I've been playing Dirt 2 and making progress slowly but surely, at least. It's not bad but the controls feel really weird on a 360 controller.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Steam Calculator and Backloggery both seem down for the count at the moment, and I also seem to have run afoul of the Steam issue where your category sets don't stick, so I can't do any fancy graphics. I've been keeping a personal Backlog count for awhile, though, so I can say that of my 148 Steam games, 44 are left.

By popular rage at not having played it yet, it looks like Deus Ex is next on my list, though I may be sneaking other games in in the meantime.

And also, because I have to admit to my problems, I just bought everything on sale yesterday for no good reason. Looking forward to both TR Anniversary and GoL when I get to them, though GoL may get kicked up the way Magicka was if there's co-op to be had.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Hey! I put in a good session on Mount & Blade: Warband last night. Became a vassal of the Khan and got myself a fief. I know its a sandbox game with no real end, but I figure if I can end up ruling my own faction and being the most powerful in the world, I'll have beaten it and can move on. It's pretty fun, though I may need to mess with the difficulty sliders if they still exist. I've been slaughtering most everything I come across.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Steam and digital distribution in general has ruined my game-playing habits. Which is to say I buy a bunch of games, then I end up playing the cheapest open-ended ones (Minecraft! :argh: ) to the exclusion of everything else.

Now trying to take steps to remedy this.

This includes everything non-Steam/DD in my collection as well, but it's that category of games that dominates my list.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

I just booted up Civ IV weekend deal. Having never played a Civ game I booted up the tutorial, after 5 attempts I gave up, such a popular title, 5 years after release should not be that buggy.

Tutorial: Move your warriors to your city.
Moves Warriors to City.
Moves Warriors off of the city and then back to it.

gently caress you, all well only $8 down the rathole.

Mrens fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Feb 23, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I never had trouble with bugs in Civ4 in any way... odd.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Oh god, if you thought AC2's ending was weird, well, Brotherhoods is even more absurd.

Brotherhood's ending was horrible and made me feel unsatisfied and confused for a while. Good game still. I suggest hurling an axe or poleaxe into a man's head asap and doing it often. This will help you deal with some of the crappier aspects of the game. Just imagine the poor peasant you just cleaved in two from fifteen yards away with a fifty pound axe was the guy at Ubisoft who came up with Shop Quests. Or that atrocious DRM on AC2.

Anyway, I am not as big a Steam addict as some others in this thread but I suspect that's more because I can't afford to be, since my disposable income consists of what meager odd jobs I can pull these days.

Found 87 Games with a value of
$1340.14 USD

http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/chiefsavageman

A lot of these were stupid impulse purchases. My last one was the Max Payne Bundle and I really don't enjoy the first one at all. Unfinished games of note are: Mafia II, Bioshock, Psychonauts, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. both CoP and SoC, Metro 2033, Star Wars: Empire At War, Brothers in Arms (all 3), Company of Heroes, ARMA II, Far Cry, Men of War & VVVVVV. I'm going to add more to the pile soon with Portal 2 and Dragon Age 2 and I always end up spending what meager funds I have on Steam games. The backlog grows.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Mrens posted:

I just booted up Civ IV weekend deal. Having never played a Civ game I booted up the tutorial, after 5 attempts I gave up, such a popular title, 5 years after release should not be that buggy.

Moves Warriors to City.

I'm pretty sure I taught myself to play civilization without tutorials. Just play the game and build poo poo. Tutorial's not gonna teach you all that much, honestly. The game basically involves improving your cities with buildings, improving the terrain around your cities with workers, making new cities with settlers, and murdering everyone with your military units. The interface to do all these things is pretty common sense, and the tutorial isn't gonna teach you how to win, just the interface. You're best off just sandboxing. Unless you really only have 3 turns of patience in you for your $8, in which case Civ would never have been your style of game even if the tutorial was flawless.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Mrens posted:

Moves Warriors to City.

This is going way back in my memory, but isn't there a great big glowing button at that point in the tutorial to garrison your units? Maybe fortify them, I'm not sure.

Skip the tutorial though. Go nuts, build workers, get bombers, burn the planet.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

PhancyPants posted:

Skip the tutorial though. Go nuts, build workers, get bombers, burn the planet.

For real, just play the game and dick around. Set it to one of the lower difficulties and just climb the tech tree. If you're not hooked by the first time you steamroll over another civ with tanks while they're only using dudes in loincloths and trying to stab your tanks with copper swords or whatever, then it's probably not your kind of game. I'm loving terrible at the games but I still enjoy playing each new iteration.

hogswallower fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 23, 2011

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Shovelmint posted:

I'm pretty sure I taught myself to play civilization without tutorials.

I started with Beyond the Sword (seriously, don't waste your time on any other Civ4 edition) and learned that there is in fact no tutorial in it. And it also changes the tech tree entirely and quite a bit else.

I'd suggest civfanatics.com for a firmer intro to the games.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Mr Right posted:

Random.org gave me 122; Harvest: Massive Encounter
It has won awards. It has Steam achievements. It really doesn't appeal to me but I'll give it a go!

I seem to have overestimated this game. The game is horrible! There is no objective other than "survive" and the tutorial is a joke (I watched it twice to make sure I never missed anything obvious).

I went to the beginner world playing 'Normal' game mode. I've restarted about 50 times since then. If I build slow and well defended, I get stomped due to not having the required harvesters to maintain my protection. If I blow all the initial money on harvesters and energy cells THEN go for defence, my defence isn't prepared in time for the attacks.

It might help if there were indicators where the enemy was approaching from, but there isn't. There's a very small red dot on your very small map up the right hand corner of the screen. It might help if the ground wasn't brown, the enemies weren't a different shade of brown and everything else wasn't coated in what seems like a brown tint. This isn't your 2010 FPS where everything must look real which means brown apparently, it's an indie game that has bad graphics so it's one redeeming feature should be that the graphics work!

I tried looking at a few youtube videos for tips but the players there seemed to have the same trouble starting up as me but once they did get a base going, they'd have an easy time creating a ring around their base.

In summary, I suck at the game and it's much more frustrating than fun and since there is no way to "complete" the game, I'm throwing in the towel after 62 minutes.

I'm still having great fun with Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® II. I took a quick look at the mission list and I'm about a third of the way through the campaign assuming I do the optional missions too.

To replace Harvest: Massive Encounter...
Random.org gave me; a few games I'd completed/played until 15; Bioshock
I don't know much about it other than that it is looked upon favourably so I'll start installing this. It's a bit more heavy than I'd want to have but I thinkg DoW will be complete soon anyway.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

hogswallower posted:

For real, just play the game and dick around. Set it to one of the lower difficulties and just climb the tech tree. If you're not hooked by the first time you steamroll over another civ with tanks while they're only using dudes in loincloths and trying to stab your tanks with copper swords or whatever, then it's probably not your kind of game. I'm loving terrible at the games but I still enjoy playing each new iteration.

I admit for the first few hours I thought the game was loving tedious, then I found out you could set workers to auto, and the game is pretty fun. They probably explained it in the tutorial.

boxorocks
May 13, 2007

I keep trying to tell myself that I'm not a bad person for cheating my way through games I don't want to play.

Whilst it doesn't take any skill or whatever videogame people care about, all i'm interested in is following the story like some kind of interactive movie (unless its a horrible story and i'd rather shave my balls with a cheese grater, then i'm just punishing my way through it just to have knocked it off the list).

short version: I cheat through video games I dont want to play just to get it out of the way.

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Man belongs wherever he wants to go
Alright! Just beat Mass Effect 2 and was seriously blown away. Straight Paragon ALMOST the whole time. I'll have to play again as Nega-Shepard sometime and be a dick to everyone in the universe.

Next on the table is Return To Castle Wolfenstein. After a busy 28 gameplay hours of shooting people, I should take a break and just shoot people instead.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

boxorocks posted:

I keep trying to tell myself that I'm not a bad person for cheating my way through games I don't want to play.

Whilst it doesn't take any skill or whatever videogame people care about, all i'm interested in is following the story like some kind of interactive movie (unless its a horrible story and i'd rather shave my balls with a cheese grater, then i'm just punishing my way through it just to have knocked it off the list).

short version: I cheat through video games I dont want to play just to get it out of the way.

I tend to do this also. When I'm towards the end of the game and it's starting to feel tedious I'll use cheat codes to power through. I'd rather complete the game and story than add it onto the pile of unfinished games I guess.

I was working my way through Hitman Codename 47. I've given up on it though. I've spent way too much time on one of the missions, and even with the use of some cheat codes I'm not able to complete it. My intentions were to play through all three of the games that I picked up during the holiday sales, but I'm burned out on the Hitman series now. When I go back to it I just hope that Silent Assassin is more my style and has better controls.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
I finished both JC2 (finished with about 78% done, was satisfied with that) and GTA:Episodes.

I'm sort of conflicted about what to play through next. For some reason I got stuck on the idea of playing the games taking up the most space on my hard drive, which would mean The Witcher's up next, but I've started that game twice and always run out of steam partway through. My save is sometime in late chapter 2, but I haven't played in months so I'm kinda vacillating on whether I want to start a new game.

It's either that, Alpha Protocol, or the Ghostbusters video game. I can't decide.

I also spent some time updating my backloggery and now it looks worse than ever. :(

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Sporkles posted:

I finished both JC2 (finished with about 78% done, was satisfied with that) and GTA:Episodes.

I'm sort of conflicted about what to play through next. For some reason I got stuck on the idea of playing the games taking up the most space on my hard drive, which would mean The Witcher's up next, but I've started that game twice and always run out of steam partway through. My save is sometime in late chapter 2, but I haven't played in months so I'm kinda vacillating on whether I want to start a new game.

It's either that, Alpha Protocol, or the Ghostbusters video game. I can't decide.

I also spent some time updating my backloggery and now it looks worse than ever. :(

Ghostbusters is shorter than Alpha Protocol, and you are NOT done with AP after a single playthrough. Hell, I have about 5 playthroughs of AP, and each one has had some very different circumstances. I would go for GB first.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Mrens posted:

I admit for the first few hours I thought the game was loving tedious, then I found out you could set workers to auto, and the game is pretty fun. They probably explained it in the tutorial.

Congratulations, you have just taken your first step towards, "Just one more turn...gently caress I have to get up to go to work in two hours."

Edit: You'll also learn that Ghandi is a dick.

As another Steamaholic, I'm going to start by trying to clear out the "Why did I buy that?" games. First up, On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness. A.K.A, the Penny Arcade video game.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 25, 2011

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Mrens posted:

Auto workers never did what I wanted. I was the bane of my MP games because my turns took too long. "Sorry, allies, I'm just maintaining our massive war machine's logistics train, which you are thoughtlessly using for everything."

In Deus Ex news I am now two (? three?) missions in. It seems to think I'm going the ENDLESS MURDERINGS FOR ALL ROUTE based on reactions and my own monologues, which is kind of annoying since I was trying to be nonviolent except in extremis.

(Or, you know, when they really, really deserved it. There was one dude who, if I tranquilized him, would use his last 7 or so seconds of consciousness to open fire on a bunch of innocents. This was true to the point that he'd crawl through the loving tear gas I'd placed on the way to discourage him from doing that. He got bullets.)

In other hilarious developments, with the new Steam client every time I toggle my lamp I take a screencap. I had about 20 shots of walls and floors by the time I was done.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Vizrt posted:

I tend to do this also. When I'm towards the end of the game and it's starting to feel tedious I'll use cheat codes to power through. I'd rather complete the game and story than add it onto the pile of unfinished games I guess.

I was working my way through Hitman Codename 47. I've given up on it though. I've spent way too much time on one of the missions, and even with the use of some cheat codes I'm not able to complete it. My intentions were to play through all three of the games that I picked up during the holiday sales, but I'm burned out on the Hitman series now. When I go back to it I just hope that Silent Assassin is more my style and has better controls.

Have you played Blood Money yet? That game is simply superb. It reminds me a bit of the trial and error gameplay I had to do in the Splinter Cell series, but more varied.

On a side note... I relapsed and bought Fallout NV Dead Money and C&C RA3. :\

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

fatpat268 posted:

Have you played Blood Money yet? That game is simply superb. It reminds me a bit of the trial and error gameplay I had to do in the Splinter Cell series, but more varied.

Yeah... I just bought Assassins Creed 2. This thread isn't helping me, because the reviews of the games make me want to buy them. I am making progress though!

..oh crap, I just noticed that another episode of Back To the Future came out. Nevermind, I'm back to breaking even.

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Man belongs wherever he wants to go

fatpat268 posted:

Stopped myself short of buying Bulletstorm. It's drat hard. Especially now that you mentioned Fallout: NV and I really want it. :|

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

fatpat268 posted:

Nope, haven't touched it yet. Was planning on finishing all three, as I've heard it's hard to go back to the originals once you've played Blood Money. Think I'll still give Silent Assassin a shot first though. From what I've heard it's still worthwhile.

Right now I decided to fire up Puzzle Quest while I work my way through Mass Effect on the 360. I like having a game on the PC and on the console, seems I don't lose interest as often if I have more than one game to keep me occupied.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
poo poo's been updated. Sorry if I missed anyone as I still have no internet.

At least it's given me a chance to finish some games I've had. I started on Metro 2033 (which I'm loving atm) and Monkey Island 2, alongside my original game listed (AvP2k) which I haven't touched. Not really feeling the love with it.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

fatpat268 posted:

Blood Money is my favorite of the Hitman series, which is my favorite 'stealth' series. Figuring out the different ways to complete your mission is pretty awesome.

Fallout New Vegas is awesome but Red Alert 3 was deeply upsetting to me (The first Red Alert was the first video game I played at the healthy age of eight).

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
So I finished Hitman Blood Money. Awesome ending, imo.

I don't know what's next. Perhaps I'll blow through ME2 (having a hard time maintaining interest... second playthrough) or perhaps play some more Fallout NV Dead Money. I'm not really liking Dead Money so far though.

E: Decided to take on Sin Episodes: Emergence. Too bad it's only episode 1 and only episode, but god that game is horrifically mediocre. It's completely linear and there's zero sense of exploration. I was glad the game was over. Took less than 3 hours to beat.

Edit #2: I tried playing the Oddworld games, but they don't play nice with my controller and I really don't feel like playing that game with a keyboard. I may emulate on a PS1 emulator instead. In the meantime, I've been making some progress on my backlog and I recently tackled Jolly Rover... which is a pirate-themed adventure game. Not nearly as good as the Monkey Island series, but it has its charm.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 27, 2011

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Completion get! Portal is down. I really should include my log of PS3 games, but I've not the motivation to inventory them, yet.

Next roll gets me... Civ 4! Brothers in Arms - Road to Hill 30!

I figure if it points to a series, I'll just start at the first one. This is cool, though, I've really wanted to get through these games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Registration is closed on http://backloggery.com/ - does anyone know of another good site like this?

I'm on the 4th chapter of Half Life 2: Episode 1. Getting really drat annoyed with Alyx.