Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

COMPLETE - Hiveswap: Act 1
A point and click adventure game. It is very good looking. Gorgeous even. The writing and humour is quite good, apart from a few jokes which are a bit too memey for my tastes. Unfortunately, it's basically an extended demo. Not sure if Act 2 is coming anytime soon, since I think I got this from humble bundle ages ago. I do not know anything about the Homestuck universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Nulled: Among the Heavens
Casual restaurant game where you have to take orders, fill orders, clean up. Didn't care for it.

Nulled: ASCII Attack
Black screen when I started the game and couldn't get it to work. Also seems like it had some really dodgy controls. At least it had cards.

Nulled: Banzai Escape
On rails anime shooter. Looked like a 3D game builder demo.

Nulled: Blood and Bacon
FPS arena low budget score attack game.

Finished: Dark Parables: The Swan Princess and the Dire Tree
Hidden Object/adventure-lite game. I honestly don't like this series as the puzzles are bad and the story even worse.

Nulled: Drop Hunt
Phone puzzle game, that's just not interesting enough for me to play 10 of the hundreds of levels.

Nulled: Fabulous Food Truck
Phone management game. play Cook, Serve, Delicious instead.

Finished: Hero of the Kingdom: The Lost Tales 1
I keep not playing HotK3 because I hear it veered off the path of 1 and 2. The Lost Tales is back to regular 1 and 2 style, and it's a nice and chill adventure-lite game.

Finished: Hidden Expedition: The Pearl of Discord
Hidden Object game with some exceptionally bad side puzzles if I remember correct.

Finished: MOAI 3: Trade Mission
Relaxing casual Time Management game

Nulled: Precursors
Super janky FPS/RPG with PS2 style graphics and half the spoken audio in Russian and half in English.

Nulled: Snake Pass
Looked like a fun puzzle platformer game until I started playing it. Those were some weird controls, but then again you play as a snake...

Finished: Stories: The Path of Destinies
A pleasant surprise that showed up in my "Play Next" library homepage list.
It's a fun and easy action RPG, with a narrator who continuously add to the story, which reminded me a bit of Bastion.
You go through a story which forces you to make 4 branching decisions. At the end of the story, you then get the told the outcome of the story and rewind back to the beginning, where you can try again.
You need to unlock 4 story lines, one in each story specific subject, for you to be able to unlock the final story, and if you are unlucky (or if you go for 100% completion), you end up playing all 24 stories, which becomes repetitive.
I managed to do it in 6, which was about right, as all equipment was maxed out, and I didn't want to go for all the skills.
All in all a pretty good game that took me 8 hours to finish.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sorry for being late on this, I played genshin a lot and also was a bit depressed and stressed. mostly focused on longer games this past month

#161: Divinity: Original Sin (65hr) - I have mixed feelings about this game. The combat was alright, the tone was okay, story a bit generic and humor kinda stale. Not a fan of the rock paper scissors checks, and very not a fan of how long the game ended up being. Combat just took too dang long.

#162: Goosebumps (2.5hr) - A silly little Wayforward licensed game that plays kinda like a HOG-lite, it's enjoyable and braindead in the same way most HOGs are.

#163: Nier Automata (16-18hr?) - I enjoyed it, I'd say it's a B-grade game. I maintain that the first playthrough is the most fun playthrough and the second playthrough feels completely unnecessary (I'd have been fine with integrating 9S' story beats into the first playthrough and then going right to playthrough 3).

#164: Atelier Ayesha (16hr) - Back to the workshop. Ayesha doesn't have my favorite characters, or my favorite progression system (it felt very random), but it's Atelier, it's comfortable and it's pleasant. And unlike Genshin it doesn't generate that malaise fog because of how boring it becomes. Atelier's loop never really gets old because there are always story beats whenever you go through each loop, even if they're just little skits. Hey Genshin? Something to consider.

#165: Spyder (2hr) - Oh boy this was my favorite game of the month and it was an iOS only game! Spyder is by Sumo Digital (Snake Pass, Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed) and you are a tiny mechanical spider super spy outfitted with gadgets that must stop the bad guys from hijacking trains, launching rockets, detonating bombs, etc. It's just very cute, the traversal is very fun since you're a spider with basically suction cup legs, and the controls are simple enough (just movement and interaction button). Recommended if you have Apple Arcade (works with controller as well)

#166: Atelier Escha & Logy (25hr) - The second game in the Atelier Dusk trilogy, E&L improves on Ayesha in just about every way, bringing back the best characters from Ayesha, and making the synthesis better, the combat faster, a more structured and logical progression, and amenities like letting you know where new cutscenes are located.

I still have Shallie on PS Now but i've been told to get it elsewhere, so I might buy and play other games in the Atelier series and hope that the fog dissipates soon. Genshin is fun, kids, but don't overplay it because you will run out of content and it will get very boring quickly.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

BEAT - Dragon Quest XI - Echoes of an Elusive Age
This is only technically beat, since the post-game is apparently a pretty large part of both game time and story, but I saw the end credits so I'm counting it as beat. Won't uninstall it yet since I've got the HD space to spare and I'll probably play a couple of hours every now and then while working towards the true ending.

It's good. It's pretty. Probably one of the best DQ games I've played and maybe a top 10 all-time JRPG. But I can't help but be a bit bored by the fact that there's pretty much nothing new to the Dragon Quest formula in it. You've got the same monsters, same weapons and items, same everything. I wish they'd do at least something new. Maybe some quests that aren't just complete fetch quests, maybe some exploration abilities for the characters, just...something.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Been busy with various writing projects this month, but got through a bunch of games that have been on my to-play list forever. Most pleased with finally playing the Resident Evil Remake, which I bought on Steam at launch and have only now played 5 years later. Oh well, it was worth the wait. I also finished my chronological playthrough of Metal Gear - it turns out playing through beginning with MGS3 and ending with MGR adds absolutely nothing to the experience. Oh well.

I also reviewed a bunch of games for another website and did a guest article about Tomb Raider IV. Full write-ups linked.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PC, 2013) - I find new love and appreciation for this every time I revisit it.

Resident Evil HD Remaster (PC, 2002/2015) - Still looks incredible 18 years on from its original release.

P.N.03 (GameCube, 2003) - Weird Shinji Mikami directed dance-shooter, I now understand why it's forgotten.

Dark Souls III: The Ringed City DLC (PC, 2017) - Almost too hard, but glad I've finally wrapped up Dark Souls.

Tell Me Why (PC, 2020) - As good as Life is Strange and I'm sad nobody really talked about it.

The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan (PS4, 2019) - Really fun as a party game. Now planning Halloween party around Little Hope later this month.

Kholat (PC, 2015) - Dull and plodding FPS horror.

Westmark Manor (PC, 2020) - Bug-filled and cheap looking horror puzzle game.

Bite the Bullet (PC, 2020) - Bizarre Metal Slug style shooter in which you eat everything - briefly fun but very quickly repetitive.

Tomb Raider IV: The Last Revelation (PC, 1999) - Way, way too long and overly complicated. Probably the worst of the five CORE originals.

This month I've been playing Moss on PSVR, but I also have Mortal Kombat X, The Room VR, The Frozen Wilds DLC for HZD and a bunch of weird indie Steam games to review. Feel like I should start The Wind Waker too...

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

BEAT - Dragon Quest XI - Echoes of an Elusive Age
This is only technically beat, since the post-game is apparently a pretty large part of both game time and story, but I saw the end credits so I'm counting it as beat. Won't uninstall it yet since I've got the HD space to spare and I'll probably play a couple of hours every now and then while working towards the true ending.

It's good. It's pretty. Probably one of the best DQ games I've played and maybe a top 10 all-time JRPG. But I can't help but be a bit bored by the fact that there's pretty much nothing new to the Dragon Quest formula in it. You've got the same monsters, same weapons and items, same everything. I wish they'd do at least something new. Maybe some quests that aren't just complete fetch quests, maybe some exploration abilities for the characters, just...something.

Yeah definitely keep going if you enjoyed what you played. The "third act" is not as long as the previous two (kind of a sight seeing tour) but there's a bunch of new story content in there and the ending sequence is really memorable (the last boss was kind of a pain in the butt tho).

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Randallteal posted:

Yeah definitely keep going if you enjoyed what you played. The "third act" is not as long as the previous two (kind of a sight seeing tour) but there's a bunch of new story content in there and the ending sequence is really memorable (the last boss was kind of a pain in the butt tho).
Yeah, I'll probably keep at it, especially since the base game wasn't a chore difficutly wise and I can probably (?) make it through without too much grinding.

In other news...

COMPLETE - The Silent Age
A short, simple point-and-click. Puzzles are easy, story ain't bad, the look of the game is a nice 70s throwback. It's been ported from a mobile game and there are a couple of annoyances, like text taking a few seconds to pop up after investigating a hotspot. Also a few minor bugs. Nothing breaking though, so if you've got a couple of hours to spare it's worth a shot.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I'm finding it hard to put a lot of time into Dragon Quest 8, but it continues. In the meantime!

BEATEN: Snake Pass. I loved this. It's super cute, the challenge is real, but it's never dickish about it.

NULLED: Besiege. I cleared the first island, including under conditions the achievements set as essentially bonus objectives. I don't usually play open sandbox games, and this is one of those. It's also finicky enough that I didn't feel I was being met halfway. My most complicated siege engine was a highly maneuverable mechanical catapult; only a device of moderate complexity, but complex enough that I could tell that I was not going to enjoy pushing the system even as far as the midgame would wish.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Completed: Paper Mario: The Origami King (Switch) - This isn't the Paper Mario that I (or anyone else) wanted, but I still enjoyed it. There were several times where the battle system was becoming tedious, so I'd set the game down and pick it up a week or two later. I wish that they did more with the temporary companions, and the story pales in comparison to earlier titles. It still had the quirky humor that I've always enjoyed in the series, and I am a sucker for collectibles. Overall, it was a fine Paper Mario.

Edit:

"Beat": Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) - I started the island, then my daughter took over, and now my wife is running the show. I went hard at first - paying off those loans, getting my house upgraded, fishing, digging, catching bugs, and playing the stalks. Then, I started to fade as my daughter and wife took over. We have a 5-star island (thanks to my wife's penchant for decorating), we filled the museum with fossils, and she's on track to complete fish, bugs, and sea creatures. But the game has lost its hooks in me. I definitely got my money's worth and really enjoyed my time with it, but doubt I'll pick it up again (maybe just to see seasonal things).

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 18, 2020

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Nulled:Pathfinder Kingmaker
After clocking in 97 hours on this game I just couldn't be bothered continuing. Increasingly the saves took longer and longer to load, despite having a computer that massively exceeded the specs for the game. Overall what I played I enjoyed but the endless grind of combat just got tiresome. I will definitely look at the sequel (after it has been out and patched for 3 or so years) but I have really started to appreciate quality over quantity in my games. So much of the content didn't add anything to the game. I still had two acts left and from what I have read about the final dungeon I wouldn't have appreciated it.

Beaten: Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus
I reinstalled this onto my new rig and managed to finish it finally. It bothered me that I couldn't finish off that last bit because of bugs. I still think the original was the better of the two even though both games had a degree of visceral satisfaction to them. They do an excellent job of making you hate the bad guy.

That actually closes out the final game from my original list. I have bought a few games I have been really wanting to play but plan to keep my list from expanding to the ridiculous amount I had before. I have Xcom Chimera Squad, Mutant Year Zero and Pillars of Eternity 2 on my to playlist now.

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 24, 2020

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Finished: Earth Defense Force 5
What a blast!
As someone mentioned in the Steam thread, it's a game that sticks to PS2 era graphics and uses all the additional power to add a poo poo ton of enemies on the screen. And the new enemies in EDF5 compared to EDF4.1 are great.
Kragger and I played through the campaign, sometimes joined by Feindfeuer, and had a really fun time.
It's the perfect co-op game if you just want to shoot giant insects, frogs with blasters and huge grey aliens, with the occasional Godzilla thrown in.

Nulled: Fallout 4
I tried playing it back when it was released, and got close to 20 hours under the belt before it fizzled out.
Then a couple of months ago, I continued that game, but this time added a bunch of mods, in the hope that it would make it more fun. It did for a while, and I got nearly 90 hours out of it before I realized that it's not an interesting game.
What made it acceptable was Sim Settlements for auto-building settlements, because I absolutely don't care for that. The mod that made all dialogs show up as full text also helped. Plus various quality-of-life things, like being able to carry 10000 units, insta-solve hacking and lock-picking (within your level), traders having more than just a couple of caps when you want to sell your loot, better UI and inventory, misc graphic improvements and so on and so forth.
But even when I had been roaming around for 90 hours, I still was extremely annoyed at my companions (Dogmeat especially!), all the silly diorama-like setups with skeletons, the endless amount of lovely weapons, the bad main story and the so much else, that I just couldn't get myself to continue.
I might be missing out of some good stuff, as I hadn't even met the private investigator in the main hub yet, but ugh...

Finished: LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Yeah, this is more like it. Fun and harmless LEGO figures, even if it's one of the new Star Wars movies.
I can't help myself, and apparently need to 100% these games, but they are just relaxing and goofy.

Finished: Star Wars Jedi - Fallen Order
So, I got this for free as a promo for a new CPU I bought, otherwise I probably wouldn't have played it, as I heard it was a souls-like game.
But cranking difficulty down to "Story Mode", disabling quick time events and enabling auto-grab, it suddenly was a fun Tomb Raider-like game instead - hell, the protagonist at some point cracks a joke about not just running around raiding tombs.
I don't feel bad for playing it at this level, because now I actually had fun playing it and the exploration part was definitely the most fun part. I've never cared for SW games outside the LEGO ones, when they only focused on you being a Jedi with the force and sword combat. I guess that's why Republic Commandos and Dark Forces were always my favorites.
But since I could just focus on running around on the maps, looking for collectables and do the occasional fighting, it was perfectly fine.
Also, it was an extremely pretty game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

here was my october:

#167: Curious Tale of Stolen Pets (1.5hr) - A short cute little VR experience similar to Hidden Paws
#168: Atelier Meruru (24-25hr for 2 playthroughs) - Not my favorite in the Atelier series (that probably goes to Escha & Logy at this point), but a better experience than Ayesha even with fewer amenities. The kingdom building I very much enjoyed. The time limit and lack of postgame that prevented me from seeing all of the content, I did not very much enjoy.
#169: Okage Shadow King (15hr) - Charming but horribly translated JRPG from the PS2 with clear Tim Burton influence. With a better translation and QOL refining, this could've been a cult classic.
#170: Threads of Fate/Dewprism (6hr) - One of those Square PS1 games that gets easily forgotten, moreso than Musashi even. A cute ARPG where you play (if you chose correctly) as a spoiled ex-princess trying to get a legendary power in order to embarass her sister and conquer the world. Has the feel of a 2.5D game even though it's 3D (several sidescrolly bits).
#171: Tomba 2 (10hr) - An absolute mad lad of a game. Tomba 2 is an addictive open world quest-based 2.5 platformer that somehow overcomes its awful controls with quirkiness and adventure game elements. If not for the controls and some confusion in late game quests this would be in my top 10 easily (it will still get consideration).
#172: Echo Night (5hr) - FROM Software does Amnesia before Amnesia on the PS1. Evade ghosts from the past as you explore a lost ship and go inception-style layer into layer to help the ghosts move on and find your father. It's first-person, you have no combat capability, only healing items, and you solve adventure game puzzles as you travel around the ship, and learn about the lives of the people who embarked on it. Fascinating 90s curio.
#173: Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (5hr) - IGA's PS2 Castlevania entry had mixed reviews and legacy, but I found it highly enjoyable. It helps that it is clearly patterned after the very first Devil May Cry, back when the series was pivoting off of Resident Evil. So it's an action game with fast whipping, with big area maps, multiple save rooms, HP/MP/heart extension pickups, and... ok there's maybe too many hallways, I'll admit that. Structurally it's kinda like Portrait of Ruin or Order of Ecclesia where the areas are separate from each other, but said areas have their own big map. You can play the levels in whatever order you want since it isn't a proper SOTN-like, no ability gating. You also gain extensions to your combos just from naturally playing the game. The only weird thing was having to select items and equip equipment from an on-screen menu during live gameplay Dark Souls style (you couldn't just do it from the proper menu, it would tell you to do it from the quick menu instead).
#174: Dino Crisis (5.5hr) - I've played through Resident Evils, I've played through Silent Hills, I've played Parasite Eve, but I have never played the Dino Crisis or Fatal Frame series, so here we go. Dino Crisis falls into what I'd consider the middle of the pack, by offering a tightly designed campaign and generously inept dinosaurs that allow you often to run right past them without having to waste ammo, but also not offering much that's unique to itself. It pretty much just is Resident Evil with dinosaurs. The nice thing is the game is entirely 3D so the visuals hold up a little better than the PS1 REs, and it can do in-engine cutscenes with changing/moving cinematography. I wish that it had something to set it apart aside from the setting. Parasite Eve distinguished itself by having unique quasi-turn based combat with real time movement. I feel like Dino Crisis could have made itself more distinct.
#175: Fatal Frame (8hr) - Fatal Frame's debut is just behind Silent Hill's as one of the strongest of any of the survival horror series. Here's a debut dripping in atmosphere (and ghosting motion blur, bleh), covering subject matter other than just zombies or mutants. Nowadays, folklore in horror games is a typical trope (most notable in FF knockoff series DreadOut), but at the time I imagine this was something mostly new to western gamers unless they were weebs (I think Fatal Frame pre-dates the american version of The Ring by at least a year). The Camera Obscura combat is the most interesting and fun take on survival horror action that I've experienced. It's not without its frustrations, largely in terms of healing items... the third night in particular is really stingy with healing item placement, despite having a boss rush design to that specific night's progression. The final night that follows then gives you a bunch of healing on your way to the final boss, so it's really puzzling. But anyway, keeping monsters in your sights, charging up your attack and then blasting them with a flash and watching that HP drain from their life bar is so satisfying. It made me realize just how terrible DreadOut actually was, in retrospect. I was glad I picked this to be my Halloween game this year.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Go directly to Dino Crisis 2 which is the Resident Evil 4 to Dino Crisis.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

al-azad posted:

Go directly to Dino Crisis 2 which is the Resident Evil 4 to Dino Crisis.

Why aren't there as many Dino Crisis games as Resident Evil games?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Skwirl posted:

Because the only Capcom studios that pitch Dino Crisis reboots/sequels are the ones desperately trying to get away from only doing one series forever.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Beaten: Dark Angels: Masquerade of Shadows

It's a HOG. A hilarious one but still not too bad.

Quick random question when using BLTool:

If I make a txt file that has

code:
<tab><tab>Unplayed<tab>Game Name
with a bunch of PC games I need to add, that should work, right?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Skwirl posted:

A Dino Crisis game as good as RE2make would be extremely my poo poo

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I own a copy of Dino Crisis 3. Really, how bad it can it honestly be? I should give it a try.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Beaten: Spider-Man

Pun not totally intended but this was amazing. I loved it and the accessibility options helped me feel like I was making progress even if I died. I can't wait till the new one comes out.

Beaten: Dark Angels: Masquerade of Shadows

It's a HOG game. Story is weird but it's finding objects, puzzles and bad voice acting\cutscenes. I liked it enough to play other kinds of it.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

I own a copy of Dino Crisis 3. Really, how bad it can it honestly be? I should give it a try.

I remember it being one of the worst examples of fixed camera in the OXM demo I tried back in the day. It felt like Gun Valkyrie confined to an original Devil May Cry level.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Beaten - The Last Door - Season 1 & 2
A very athmospheric point and click with pixel graphics. Has a very nice Lovecraftian (though not from actual Lovecraft lore I think) story and does it pretty well. Both seasons are needed for the more or less full story, but they're cheap. There's a couple of very, very bullshit puzzles in there, so just use a guide if it feels like you're being stuck.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Double post!

BEATEN - 60 Parsecs!
One of those CYOA, resource management, survival games. It was kind of fun. You need to survive wacky hijinx in space while trying to stay equipped and having enough tomatoe soup for everyone. I beat it with one character, which is enough for me.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Nulled: Office Battle
Isometric low-budget arena action game where you have to knock out coworkers while using office equipment as armor and weapons.

Nulled: oO
I would imagine people who like those runner games, would also enjoy this minimal puzzle game. It became way too frantic for me.

Nulled: Ostrich Island
Low-budget 3D platformer, in which I got stuck in the scenery when a chest opened up, and the lid and my ostrich merged into one, thus forcing me to quit.

Nulled: Outland
Sadly not based on the Sean Connery scifi prison movie, but is a 2D action platformer.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Nulled - Spaera
It's an abandoned Early Access Puyo Pop clone. The story mode doesn't have a story. There are no players online. The gameplay is Puyo Pop. The one match I played took a surprisingly long time to finish. I nulled it.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat - The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (Wii U): I liked the art style; the story was decent; but I did not enjoy the sailing. Even with all the elements added in the HD remaster, it still felt like a slog. I'm usually one to collect everything in a Zelda game, but I beelined the main story for this iteration of the game (which would have been rather short without the sailing). I couldn't get into the loop of finding treasure charts to go dig up treasure to see if it's one of the few that has a collectable instead of rupees. Even after looking at a guide, I just couldn't bring myself to spend time with it. It's a shame because I know a lot of people have Wind Waker near the top of their Zelda lists.

Beat - Faraway: Tropic Escape (Android): Another game in a series I glommed onto while trying to find anything to scratch my itch for The Room. It's more of the same if you've played the series. If not, you encounter a series of extremely easy-to-mildly challenging puzzles to open pathways to exit a level. Nowhere near The Room quality, but it's enough to pass the time on your phone.

Nulled - Mushroom Heroes: An indie game in the vein of The Lost Vikings. It was fun, but became repetitive fast.

From my daughter's corner:

Beat - Pajama Sam 3: You Are What You Eat From Your Head To Your Feet: A point and click for kids. She was a little scared by the "scary" candy guards, but made it through.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 9, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Knocked off a bunch of stuff I'd had on my to-play list for a while. Finally got through the entire DMC HD pack and had a great time replaying 3. Got sent some fun and weird PC games too. I've also been playing a bunch of Fortnite with my young nephews as a way of e-babysitting and am honestly quite enjoying the Marvel crossover. I think I'll write up a Fortnite article when it wraps up with the big Galactus event at the end of the month - am also building a 'Birthday Party' creative island for one of them as he can't have a real world party. Should be fun. Anyhows:

Mortal Kombat X (PS4, 2015) - They fixed almost all of the issues I had with MK9 and I'm jazzed for finally picking up Ultimate MK11.

Zone of the Enders (PS2, 2001 / PS3, 2012) - Short, low on content and with godawful voice-acting, but the robot combat is fun. Basically a prototype for the sequel.

Devil May Cry 3: Dante’s Awakening (PS2, 2005 / PC, 2018) - Has aged much, much better than I thought it would, though I still can't use Royal Guard properly.

The Room VR: A Dark Matter (PSVR, 2020) - A short and kinda expensive VR puzzler, but I love the mobile The Room games and this lives up to them.

Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds DLC (PS4, 2017) - A bit of an anticlimax, got kinda bored with the snowy environments after a while.

Night in the Woods (PC, 2017) - Was on my to-play list for absolutely ages but never got round to it. It's amazing. Some of the best writing I've seen in a game.

Moss (PSVR, 2017) - Genuinely magical adventure with beautiful environments and animation. Only downside is that it ends on a cliffhanger and a sequel is nowhere in sight.

Paper Beast: Folded Edition (PC, 2020) - A VR game ported to 2D. It's a mind-bogglingly complex bit of game design and looks incredible, but the whole time I was wishing I was playing it in VR.

Not for Broadcast (PC, 2020)Not for Broadcast (PC, 2020)[/url][/b] - FMV news broadcast engineer simulator. Enjoyed playing it, but some of the jokes didn't quite land. Really enjoyed learning more about news production though. In Early Access well go back for more when it's complete.

Accident (PC, 2020) Car crash accident aftermath simulator in which you administer first aid, prevent more deaths and figure out what happened. A bit janky, but I think I might know what do if I find smashed bodies and cars all over the road.

Right now I'm playing Snatcher on the Mega CD and Wind Waker HD on the Wii U (and think much the same as Good-Natured Filth). Going to try and squeeze DMC4 in afterwards. After that I've got a PS5 on pre-order so am very jazzed about getting stuck into Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, Astro's Playroom and DMC5: SE, so that's going to take up most of the rest of the month. Will probably also get sent some weird PC games so going to get through those too.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 25, 2020

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
A slightly pre-emptive Beaten: Sacra Terra: Angelic Night

I've almost finish every HOG game I got in my bundle. This is by far the worst one. It not only is extremely disjointed in the route, sometimes it's straight forward in how much it wants to say gently caress you.

When you enter certain rooms for the first time, you have to sit through a 10-15 second unskippable clip of an angel lady while the game whispers "Angel..." and a feather slowly floats down to 1 item in the room, changing it.

I've had to trek from the starting room to every other room because there's no real guide on what happens next. I enjoy the hidden object portion but it likes to hide drawings of items in woodwork and walls, sometimes in dark rooms where it's difficult to see. It also tells you to find items that could possibly be other items (Compass in 1 spot is a modern one, Compass in another is the old ship plotting type). Just an overall gently caress no.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

BEAT - The World Next Door
A match three game where you run around the board moving tiles, casting spells and avoiding enemies and their spells. The graphics are nice and the core gameplay idea is neat. However, the game never does anything with the core idea and I got bored with it, despite the game only being 3-4 hours long. 99% of the battles are you running in a circle on the map occasionally casting a spell while the enemies run after you. The characters were annoying enough that I started skipping dialogue after the second dungeon. Basic gist of the story is you're a human in demon-world and you need to get out. Not a good game, but it's an epic freebie so I didn't lose :10bux:

Edit: Oh yeah, the PC port also seems from bad controls that don't seem to register all key presses and some weird glitches which makes glyph/tile selection really iffy.

Kuule hain nussivan fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 24, 2020

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat - The Escapists 2: I have escaped from all the main game's prisons. This was fun to play co-op, but the few times I played solo weren't. The grind of reporting to all required areas to get the checkmark, then searching around to find components can get old - especially on the harder maps where the difficulty is essentially created by adding more contraband detectors and minimizing free time, so you have to walk longer around the map and have less time to find the items you need. Being able to split up the work with a friend makes that grind less mind numbing.

Completed - Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS4): I was a big fan of the first one, and this is no exception. The game is shorter than the first, but it's still a good continuation of the story. I encountered several bugs that were annoying, but didn't render the game unplayable (audio tracks not loading, character models disappearing during cinematics, etc.). Playing as Miles is distinctly different from Peter, which is awesome, and the few new powers he has adds a slight twist on the core fighting mechanic. But in the end this is just like the first game, so if you liked it, you'll like this iteration.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 26, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

My November games, for games that end up in my EOY lists, those will get larger write-ups later:

#176: Shinobi (6hr) - One of the biggest retro disappointments of the year by far. Horrible camera, clunky controls, terrible lock on.
#177: Crash Bandicoot (5hr) - This was the remastered version so it was a lot tougher, but it's still an OK game. Just very basic.
#178: Moon Remix RPG Adventure (15hr) (2020 localization) - Fantastic lost PS1 gem that finally came to America. It's not so much a predecessor to Undertale as it has been described, but a game along the lines of Chulip where you befriend people, and help them with their problems in order to level up. You'll want a guide for the endgame stuff.
#179: Second Sight (6.5hr) - Interesting attempt at a third-person stealth/action hybrid from the Timesplitters developer. It has their trademark cartoony animation but the actual story is played serious and straight which is weird. Controls are not the best but they work okay enough. All things combined for a decent game that kept me interested all the way through.
#180: Pac-Man World (6hr) - Charming 2.5D platformer with some similarities to Crash and Mario 3D Land. Gets a bit frustrating near the end.
#181: Nanobreaker (5hr) - Basically Lament of Innocence 3 but with a sci-fi spin. Not quite as good as LoI, as IGA struggled with enemy variety and map design a bit on this one. Some frustrating platforming and checkpoint placement.
#182: Headhunter (6hr) - Trainwreck of a Dreamcast/PS2 game wanting to be Metal Gear Solid and coming nowhere close. A reviewer at the time said Headhunter's story was better than MGS'. It's not.
#183: Cold Winter (6hr) - Highly competent PS2 FPS from the future dev of 50 Cent Blood on the Sand, controls really well, satisfies the loot pickup part of the brain, decent level design. Story gets a bit bonkers by the end.
#184: The Occupation (8hr) - First person mystery game where you play a journalist trying to piece together who is behind a terrorist attack at a company trying to get a Big Brother-type law enacted. Some odd AI vision/hearing in this one, felt like the AI guards would sometimes teleport, and sometimes hear you from a completely different floor. I liked snooping around though, and chasing down leads. Definitely a 7/10 game.
#185: Eatgirl (2hr) (2020) - An indie take on Pacman with 30+ levels with various hazards to avoid as you munch those dots.
#186: The Council Ep 1 (2.5hr) - Story based episodic game about a member of a secret organization slipping into a meeting of the upper echelon.. seems like it might go in a supernatural direction, but each scene/sequence feels way too long. So I don't feel too strongly about buying the full season.
#187: Smile For Me (4hr) - Cute game about running around helping sad people with their issues and cheering them up. Rubs up a little too closely to "depression is just something you can get over" without actually saying it (or at least not really touching much on depression itself to counter that impression), but I love the art direction and character design.
#188: Mask of Mists (3hr) (2020) - Another cute game! This one is a first person puzzler with light combat where you run around a fantasy world unlocking and exploring dungeons while also picking up inventory items that are used elsewhere ala a point n click adventure game.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Here's Novembers games. Got my PS5 on launch day after preordering it back in Septembe, went to a launch day event in London's Oxford St and picked it up in person. Man, COVID has really killed launch day extravaganzas. I just got handed it by some Nick Frost-lookin' guy in a GAME T-shirt. Oh well, at least it's not a box of cat food or cement. I did get some light pressure from my brother-in-law to sell it to him for RRP for an Xmas present for my nephew, but nah I'm keeping this. So far enjoying it, the controller is wonderful and it's whisper quiet. I'm not a huge fan of the UI, but I'm sure it'll get better after a few updates.

I also had a really good month for freelance work so treated myself to an LG CX OLED. It's GORGEOUS and the HDR on PS5 games is blowing my mind.

Aside from PS5 stuff I REALLY loved Snatcher, am glad to have played through Wind Waker again and was extremely let down by Little Hope.

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PlayStation 5, 2020) - Beautiful and incredibly slick, especially in the 60fps performance mode. Also just about the perfect length for a game without an ounce of fat on it. Can't wait for the full sequel.

Bugsnax (PlayStation 5, 2020) - Beyond the meme stuff it's actually a really great game. If you've got a PS Plus sub and a PS5 don't sit on it as it's definitely worth playing. The fact that it shares a plot with Bloodborne is also very rad.

Astro’s Playroom (PlayStation 5, 2020) - Beautiful introduction to the PS5 and the DualSense that makes getting one feel like an event. The history of PlayStation stuff was extremely nostalgic.

Fortnite Chapter 2 – Season 4 (PC, 2020) - Not generally my kinda thing, but it's a good way to socialise with my nephews during COVID. The end of season Galactus event was extremely fun.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GameCube, 2003 / Wii U, 2013) - Didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped, but it's still beautiful and extremely charming.

Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (PC, 2008/2015) - All the complaints about the there-and-back-again design were entirely correct, but the fighting mechanics are extremely satisfying.

Snatcher (Mega CD, 1994) - My Kojima game of the month. I'd played it in the late 90s and forgotten most of it. Loved every second - a phenomenally fun, funny and exciting time.

The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope (PS4, 2020) - A massive let down after Until Dawn and Man of Medan. The story is rubbish, the twist doesn't make any sense and your choices are meaningless. Going to seriously hold off on the next Dark Pictures game unless I hear it's gotten amazing reviews.

Right now I'm playing Demon's Souls on PS5 and adoring every doom-laden, oppressive and violent minute. It's maybe the best-looking game I've ever played. Also working through the charming Yoshi's Crafted World on Switch. Will hopefully get to DMC5: SE on PS5 and possibly Obra Dinn and Resident Evil Zero on PC. Kojima adjacent game of the month will likely be Snake's Revenge on NES, which I've long wanted to check out.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

It's been quite a while since I last posted here. Basically the only games I've played in the last 18 months are the 1990s Doom games. I have no idea why I stopped; it wasn't like I got sick of games or started thinking I was too old for them. I just... didn't play. I still bought and wishlisted things, though. It's only in the last week I've gotten back into playing them. Anyway, here's a bunch of games I played.

MASTERED: LEGO Batman I. I enjoyed this enough to 100% it. It's very good at doing characterization and plot without a single line of dialogue in the game. It was somewhat repetitive, though.

NULLED: Simply Chess. It's chess. Almost all of you have played chess before, and if you haven't go install and play this. It's freeware. Nulled because it's a PC chess program, and thus has no actual ending.

NULLED: Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+. It's a version of the arcade classic with new maps, time challenges, score challenges, and other things. Quite good. Nulled because, like the above, it has no ending.

MASTERED: 12 Labors of Hercules I. Either a time management game or a very light strategy game, depending on how you look at it. The game is a series of levels which give you two or three objectives and a time limit, with a trophy if you can complete it fast enough. I loved it, and I think I'm going to enjoy the other 12 Labors games I've got.

PLAYED: Baba Is You. I did not have fun with this puzzle game. The puzzles may not *quite* be Sierra-style moon logic, but they certainly live in the same neighborhood.

PLAYED: Anima: Gate of Memories. This game is basically store-brand Devil May Cry. The computer game equivalent of bootleg action figures like "Colonel United States" and "Flying Rodent Guy". Not worth playing.

PLAYED: Reigns. Tinder the RPG. I found it to be too repetitive to play for long.

PLAYED: Reigns: Her Majesty. More of the above, and also boring as hell.

COMPLETED: reYal. A short, interesting little puzzler; the best way I can describe it would be 'Matryoshka doll simulator'. Recommended.

NULLED: Armor of Heroes. The first game I finished after my long hiatus, it's a quick little tank game in which you have a tank on a small map, and must either reach a certain kill-count, survive as long as possible, or rack up the most kills within the time limit. It was free, which is good as I wouldn't recommend it paying actual money for it. Nulled because it has no story campaign or anything, just an endless series of skirmish battles.

MASTERED: Helltaker. An interesting puzzle game, you have to reach the goal within a specified number of moves. Some good writing too. Try it out, it's free.

PLAYED: NaissanceE. This was recommended to me on the basis of its' epic environments. I wandered around a series of blank white empty rooms for a while and gave up. I only saw a couple of the grand architecture pieces it was claimed to have.

Next up: I've been playing Final Doom, and then it's back to that playthrough of Yakuza 0 I abandoned a year and a half ago. I probably should restart Y0 from the beginning, but I put so much time and effort into that save file.

EightDeer fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 9, 2020

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Finished: Dark Parables: Requiem for the Forgotten Shadow
It's a HOG.

Finished: FAR: Lone Sails
A side scroller where you have to drive your big vehicle through several post apocalyptic landscapes, making sure there is fuel enough, that poo poo doesn't catch fire or needs fixing. Other games focus solely on the management part, and often end up with very frantic gameplay. Not this one though. There are a few scenes where you need to hurry, but with plenty of room for errors, and then long stretches of zoning out while you raise the sail and just roll across a very pretty landscape.
A very chill and relaxing game with a few puzzles here and there, but mostly play it to enjoy the atmosphere.

Nulled: Kingdom: Classic
A 2D Tower Defense type of game. Fortify your kingdom to each side of the playing field by hiring men as workers or soldiers. Each night you are attacked, and the next morning you can expand your kingdom in each direction by building new walls and guard posts, while also upgrading existing ones.
I enjoyed the pixelated look, but moving around takes forever when you have expanded quite a bit, and you don't really have a good overview of your resources or how you can affect them. Like suddenly when I expect a hired hand to become a worker, because of an upgrade I made to my castle, he became a knight and instantly got killed the following night. Had he only become a worker, he could have fortified the walls. Ugh.

Nulled: Koala Kids
A platformer I wasn't really interested in, but ended up playing for a few hours.

Finished: The LEGO NINJAGO Movie Video Game
The only LEGO game I wasn't really interested in, as I had no idea what Ninjago was. And then it became free for a few days a while ago.
I'm pretty happy I got to play it because while it's classic a LEGO action platformer, it also added a lot of improvements to the formula: Semi-open world big levels you open up by playing a mission.
Instead of replaying the exact same mission later in free-play to unlock all the items, you can return to the area and just run around, opening up shortcuts and collecting gold bricks etc. with whatever powers or tools you have unlocked in later missions.
I think I prefer this style better than the Marvel/DC/Lego Movie/City Undercover way of being forced to replay missions.
Anyway, I 100%'ed it as has become a habit when I need to chill out.

Nulled: Mini Metro
Yeah this really sucks, but this game just didn't catch me.
I had really looked forward to finally play a new, and very popular among goons, puzzle game, but it definitely wasn't me.
Loved the aesthetics but I guess that wasn't enough.

Finished: Watch Dogs: Legion (Uplay)
It was a bland experience.
I got the game for free with my new graphics card, but I would have bought it anyway, as the Ubisoft Open World Experience is usually something I enjoy a lot - yes especially the clearing of icons on the map.
The game is extremely pretty when running on the newest hardware, and I also enjoyed a lot of the stuff, like clearing a location using only the spider bot.
But I'm not sure if I played the game "wrong" or Ubisoft had removed some mechanics prior to releasing the game, but I just kept waiting for something more to happen.
You can recruit all these different people, but I only used the spy (silenced gun) and the assassin (staying hidden + very effective but noisy guns). The rest were just unnecessary except as tools in the first couple of missions to show you some mechanics.
Like the experienced driver you get by finishing a mission. The mission itself is a race through the streets of London. But after that, you have no need for a driver again except for one of the final missions, where if you use the driver (chase drones won't hurt you, is one of the talents of this character), the mission suddenly becomes a chore. But that's it - no other driving missions that require special skills.
I got a riot leader, but at no point was there a mission where you required someone to rile up the mob. I never used the drone expert because when I got him, I could already take over and control all the drone types flying around. The melee fighters were useless as I had already beaten them with a regular character in the fight club arenas, and the list goes on.
A lot of the tools and weapons you can unlock, I never used after trying them out once. They just seemed bland or unnecessary.
I guess Ubisoft planned for different kind of missions where you had to use specialized characters or skillsets, or that when you recruited a person, you could use use their skills in combination with other people's skills, or .. I don't know. It's a bit of a mess, but fun enough that I completed it, picked up every collectible and cleaned the map, but I won't grab any of the expansions.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like the idea you bought a new graphics card when most of the games you play are HOGs but you’re also the only person I know who has completed every asscreed game.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
lol yeah, it's perhaps a bit overkill, but my old PC was 6-7 years old, and in these lovely times, I felt I needed to give myself something nice :)
And no matter how bland WD Legion is, London looks extremely good rendered on a Nvidia 3080.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hey Fart, shoutout to being the only other person I know playing the Pixel Puzzle Ultimate puzzles, good taste. It's my favorite podcast game. :D

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Yeah it's the absolute best podcast game :)
Lavatein is another goon who plays it regularly, and during sales I often notice that people buy packs of puzzles when they are on deep discount.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Almost the end of the year, I managed to finish 3 more games in the last month. I think I counted that I finished 15 games this year which is pretty good for me, a lot of those were long games as well.

Nulled: Marvel's Avengers: I normally never preorder games that are not part of a series or franchise. I made a mistake and preorder after having a fun experience with the beta/demo. Well there isn't much to it other than the first 1-2 hour you can find in the demo. Extremely repetitive, there are much more fun GaaS games like Division/Warframe/Destiny out there. The potential of this game was immense just because of the Marvel IP but honestly I would say the Marvel Alliance game on Switch is 10x better than this. The only good thing about the game is it's visuals.

Beaten: Danganronpa Harmony's Despair, basically this is edgy Ace Attorney, I loved Ace Attorney and I liked this. I thought the cases and twists were better than AA but I generally preferred AA's more chill tone and writing. The cases are also much easier and less convoluted than AA but there is always one big twist to every case. The setup is also amazing, one of my favorites in fiction, bunch of people stuck in a place together and things start to go bad. Will definitely play the sequels.

Beaten: Yakuza Kiwami. Yakuza 0 was one of my favorite games of this year and it was the first game I finished this year, so it took me a while to get to the sequel but I remembered most of the story beats. This wasn't as epic as 0 but it was a more personal/emotional story. Although I do feel like the story structure was VERY similar to Yakuza 0. The combat is the same but not as diverse because this time you only play as Kiryu and not Majima(I thought he had the better combat/gameplay in 0). The boss battles aren't as epic as Yakuza 0 either, other than the last one which is amazing. So far Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami's final boss fights are some of the best in gaming for me.

Beaten: Watch Dogs 2,Never bothered playing the first one but I felt like this was a great twist in the open world genre. The game feels more like a puzzle game at times because of all the ways you can approach a mission. The side content is generic as all Ubisoft games. But the ability to basically play the whole main story with just hacking/social engineering is a fun option. The Dark Souls like player invasions are REALLY fun, I like how the players can't attack you but they can use their hacking to make it hard for you to find them. Reminds me of Saint Rows not because it's the same but just because it tries to do something more fun with the open world/sandbox style game unlike GTA in terms of its gameplay. The story is actually pretty fun too.

Currently playing: Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War and Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen, both which have been quite good thus far. I feel like Dragons Dogma could become a favorite of mine, it just feels a bit too easy on normal, I saw that there is a new game + option to play on hard so I might do that. The new CoD I only decided to play because I got it with my rtx 3090 and I know it has raytracing, I also had a 2080ti but decided to upgrade anyway for/with newer consoles coming out.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 13, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ulio posted:

Beaten: Danganronpa Harmony's Despair, basically this is edgy Ace Attorney, I loved Ace Attorney and I liked this. I thought the cases and twists were better than AA but I generally preferred AA's more chill tone and writing. The cases are also much easier and less convoluted than AA but there is always one big twist to every case. The setup is also amazing, one of my favorites in fiction, bunch of people stuck in a place together and things start to go bad. Will definitely play the sequels.

Which Dangan Ronpa is this? I don't know that title!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
They presumably mean the first one based on the description, there's no game with that exact name but the Japanese subtitle for the first one is kind of similar ("The Academy of Hope and the High School Students of Despair").