Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Awcko posted:

Saint's Row 2 it is! I had installed some mods that managed to make it run somewhat well, and I'll check with some friends to see if anyone wants to play through with me.

Speaking of Saint's Row 2, I might as well try to finish it. I stopped last time because I started the Ronin missions and got to a part where you have to do motorcycle chases. It was really bad because of how horrendously unoptimized the game is. I have a new quad core so I should be able to run it fine. Hopefully I won't have an... experience like last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

RickDaedalus posted:

Speaking of Saint's Row 2, I might as well try to finish it. I stopped last time because I started the Ronin missions and got to a part where you have to do motorcycle chases. It was really bad because of how horrendously unoptimized the game is. I have a new quad core so I should be able to run it fine. Hopefully I won't have an... experience like last time.

That part was pretty drat annoying.
One of the "bosses" of the Ronin missions is a single dude in a very fast bike. That you have to kill, while riding a bike yourself.

It was a pain in the rear end, and I always ran out of ammo while chasing him UNTIL there was a time where he flew into a house's porch and got stuck there. Emptying a couple of SMG clips took care of it.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
Protips for anyone else playing Majesty on Steam:

- If you're experiencing crashes, delete or rename the music folder (it's in the main directory, not the expansion's directory). It sucks not having music but it's fixed the problem for me. Another possible solution is running in compatibility mode.

-Launch the expansion, not the main game, even if you're planning on playing through the original content first. It doesn't look like your save data carries over between the two, and you can play all the quests in the expansion anyway.

- In the Elven Treachery mission, it's hard to wipe them out in 30 days but definitely possible; I finished on 29 days my third try. I really suck at making money so I didn't bother trying to save up the 50,000, but lots of marketplaces and a blacksmith are probably a good start.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Hi, I'm Tecman, you may have heard of me my 645 all-installed Steam games. I have a problem.

Lately, however, "playing games" isn't one of them, thanks to a shitload of free time unfortunately. Finally managed to finish Mass Effect 1 and move onto 2, played Call of Juarez (didn't finish it quite yet, tho) and played a SHITLOAD of Magicka (which owns, and if you don't own it yet you really should fix that). Taking a break from the game-time-vortex that is Anno1404/Dawn of Discovery, since 9 hour straight sessions just aren't healthy, drat that game.

After Mass Effect 2 I'll probably gonna resume Just Cause 2, unless you guys have any other recommendations? :) I'd go with finishing Fallout: New Vegas but right now it would take an awful lot of effort to un-gently caress my installation due to mods causing some crashes and fuckups (can't enter caves or vaults, for instance).

Have to put aside gaming (at least stuff that doesn't run on a laptop) due to a medical emergency loving up my plans, so for now I'm stuck with light-weight stuff which actually runs on my crappy laptop.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
1. Dear god you bought, and played through, Eternity's Child

quote:

EVE Online: Incursion
996 hrs on record

I think you've come to the right place.

As for game recommendations, can't go wrong with the Monkey Island series. Both the remakes and ToMI

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

Migishu posted:

I think you've come to the right place.

Yeah, but at least 900 hours of that was alt-tabbed doing something else I'm sure.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I was productive today! I beat Darksiders and the like 10 minutes of Ghostbusters I had left, so now it's on to...either Arkham Asylum or Dead Rising 2. Hm.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Arkham Asylum. Game of the Year 2009.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

RagnarokAngel posted:

Arkham Asylum. Game of the Year 2009.

I went with Dead Rising 2 because I watched my friend play a lot of AA, so it's not entirely "new" to me. I'm gonna hit it up next, though.

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Man belongs wherever he wants to go
I'll have to get in on this random-generator poo poo sometime. Currently I'm playing my way through Mass Effect 2 after beating the first one at long last (had it for 360, lost the blasted disc, picked up a Christmas deal copy on Steam, loved the poo poo out of it), then I've got a ton of games to actually beat. Amnesia, Dragon Age, Max Payne, and Indigo Prophecy come to mind. Any recommendation from that list? I've also got Deus Ex that I never beat, STALKER (currently hanging out at the Yantar lab), Republic Commando, Titan Quest, The Void, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Assassin's Creed (beat once, playing through again to ease myself into the sequel which I have never played), Beyond Good & Evil, Cryostasis, Darksiders, Fallout 3, FarCry 2, Hitman 1 and 2, Manhunt, Mirror's Edge, Psychonauts, and Condemned. (Okay, Condemned isn't a Steam game, sue me.)

Jesus Christ, maybe this is why my bank account tanked after Christmas. How have I not dropped out of college yet?

Mr. Saturday fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 17, 2011

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Saturday posted:

I'll have to get in on this random-generator poo poo sometime. Currently I'm playing my way through Mass Effect 2 after beating the first one at long last (had it for 360, lost the loving disc, picked up a Christmas deal copy on Steam, loved the poo poo out of it), then I've got a ton of poo poo to actually beat. Amnesia, Dragon Age, Max Payne, and Indigo Prophecy come to mind. Any recommendation from that list? I've also got Deus Ex that I never beat, STALKER (currently hanging out at the Yantar lab), Republic Commando, Titan Quest, The Void, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Assassin's Creed (beat once, playing through again to ease myself into the sequel which I have never played), Beyond Good & Evil, Cryostasis, Darksiders, Fallout 3, FarCry 2, Hitman 1 and 2, Manhunt, Mirror's Edge, Psychonauts, and Condemned. (Okay, Condemned isn't a Steam game, sue me.)

Jesus Christ, maybe this is why my bank account tanked after Christmas. How have I not dropped out of college yet?

If you want something quick, don't play Deus Ex. If you want a game that is loving awesome, tons of replayability, and will last you a while, then play Deus Ex. Return to Castle Wolfenstein is pretty fun and isn't a long game.

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

americanzero4128 posted:

If you want something quick, don't play Deus Ex. If you want a game that is loving awesome, tons of replayability, and will last you a while, then play Deus Ex. Return to Castle Wolfenstein is pretty fun and isn't a long game.

It'll probably be RTCW then unless something else catches my fancy. I've always loved id's games, and I've played through a bit of it. I can't remember why I stopped...I think it was the second level where you have to infiltrate the base without being detected. That seemed a little needlessly difficult, but I can always give it another go. Nazi-killing's one of those good standbys that doesn't get old for me.

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems

Awcko posted:

Saint's Row 2 it is! I had installed some mods that managed to make it run somewhat well, and I'll check with some friends to see if anyone wants to play through with me.

Just wanted to mention that I have decided to switch out SR2 for Assassin's Creed 2, which I'm enjoying much more.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

Mr. Saturday posted:

It'll probably be RTCW then unless something else catches my fancy. I've always loved id's games, and I've played through a bit of it. I can't remember why I stopped...I think it was the second level where you have to infiltrate the base without being detected. That seemed a little needlessly difficult, but I can always give it another go. Nazi-killing's one of those good standbys that doesn't get old for me.

If you get stuck on that level, just find a cheat and skip past it. It's just a poorly designed level and is completely out of place and you won't feel fulfilled in actually getting past it. That's what I did and I feel no shame.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm about 25-30% into The Dragon Knight Saga now. (original campaign, expansion is not counted in) and its really picking up and utterly awesome.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Migishu posted:

1. Dear god you bought, and played through, Eternity's Child
It was a challenge posted in the Steam thread, aka if I beat that stupid game, the challenge-issuer would send money to charity. :)

...considering I think of EC as the single worst game I've played without a hint of exaggeration, the entire playthrough was painful as all gently caress. Seriously, don't buy this game, and if you did, for crying out loud don't play it.

Migishu posted:

As for game recommendations, can't go wrong with the Monkey Island series. Both the remakes and ToMI
Actually beat those, I'm a huge fan of the entire series (Even 4, although less of a fan of that one...). I've yet to finish the Strongbad games / 3rd season of Sam & Max, though.

penis bandana posted:

Yeah, but at least 900 hours of that was alt-tabbed doing something else I'm sure.
It's actually dumber than that, I like(d) to pop-open the in-game help channel and just laugh at your average questions / troll people / actually help sometimes. Hell, sometimes I'd let the game run while I'd read the silly channel from bed. If I hadn't figured out how to run the Steam version of EVE without going through Steam, the hours count would be about ten times higher due to letting the game run overnight. :ohdear:

Rarely play nowadays, though.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Will try to finish Ghostbusters and/or season 1 of Sam and Max before next monday. Don't know WHY I stopped playing Ghostbusters since it is pretty drat good, and the first season of Sam and Max is funny (but tedious at the same time, why do they have to walk so slowly?)

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Hello!

My name is Substandard and I'm a steamaholic. Really, this would apply to other platforms too (360/PS3), but 1 thing at a time I suppose. I currently have 142 games, my last purchase was King Arthur last week when it was on sale. My last 3 purchases have actually all been RTS games, despite the fact that I don't tend to like RTS's or be any good at them. Deals are deals. For a long time I really didn't play any game other than WoW, but never stopped buying them when on sale. I've quit WoW (which is a victory in itself), and want to start playing through my massive backlog.

I'm not sure I've paid full price for anything on Steam ever. It's the summer / winter / weekend sales that get me. Particularly on things that are well reviewed.

Anyway, I've completed maybe 4-5 of the games in my list, and I've put a reasonable amount of time into Beat Hazard / Audiosurf / Left4Dead. This leaves me with roughly 135 games that I've not really played much of.

My first random roll of 1-142 was #27, which is Defense Grid on my list, assuming I counted right. So that's what I'll be playing until I manage to complete it. I am a whopping .4 hours into this game according to my current stats. My stats didn't record properly for a while due to firewall settings but this seems to be accurate.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 17, 2011

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
If you use this calculator it gives you a number beside each game to really tell you what game #27 is.

e: forgot the link

Mr Right fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 17, 2011

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

I think i'm gonna do a run through Serious Sam HD to get that under my belt.

edit:

Awcko posted:

Just wanted to mention that I have decided to switch out SR2 for Assassin's Creed 2, which I'm enjoying much more.

Stuff like that is what got me to this point. :colbert:

ButterChugger fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 17, 2011

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
I finally finished up with Dragon Age. Some parts of it I found a real slog (the whole underground cave bit dragged on so long) but it was a pretty decent game overall. Some of the battles are insanely difficult though, I've not played a game that I saw the "Reload Last Save" button quite so much since Super Meat Boy.

Next up I'm trying Dead Space. Got to say that this game left the worst first impression with me. I had a controller plugged in but wanted to use mouse and keyboard, however there's no option to choose one or the other in the menu. I thought "what the hell" and carried on using mouse and keys but the game assumed I wanted to use the controller and changed all the tutorial prompts to controller ones. I had to quit out, disable my controller and reload the game, then sit through the intro again. I go back through the tutorial and when I get to the stasis field bit, the tutorial starts spewing controller buttons again. So I go to the controller options to find out what the key for stasis is and its not listed :(

I've apparently played for 2 hours and I'm still at that door. I'm going to write out the controls on a piece of paper before trying it again.

foobat
Nov 26, 2008
I feel your pain. I got to the dwarves in dragon age and they pissed me off so much that I stopped playing it.

dead space I tried to offload on to my brother because I coudln't stand trying to play it with a keyboard mouse.

I have 110 games on my steam account of which I have completed 2 and a couple don't end ala L4D and Civ 5. I also have many games I have installed and played for 0.1 hours. I have good intentions I guess? Now that I have admitted this, I can finally come to terms with it.

I'm going to try and finish mass effect 2 and bioshock first.

e: I bought the valve complete pack over 3 years ago, I am yet to start playing Half life 2 or Team Fortress 2 and only completed half life a month ago.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/foobat

foobat fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 18, 2011

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

I finished Braid today. People kept talking about how deep the story was, but I thought it fell into that awkward zone where it's obviously trying so hard to be creative and deep without any depth. The gameplay was fun, but the writing style screamed "Look how good at words I am!". Still, I'd recommend it as a decent puzzler with neat mechanics.

Next up: The last 1/4 of Divinity 2!

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mr Right posted:

If you use this calculator it gives you a number beside each game to really tell you what game #27 is.

e: forgot the link

Is Steam Calculator broken for anyone besides me? I'm getting a /calculator.php not found.

In other news, I'm on Anticitizen One in Half Life 2. I know I'm getting close to the end. Got to keep working on it now.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

PhancyPants posted:

I finished Braid today. People kept talking about how deep the story was, but I thought it fell into that awkward zone where it's obviously trying so hard to be creative and deep without any depth. The gameplay was fun, but the writing style screamed "Look how good at words I am!". Still, I'd recommend it as a decent puzzler with neat mechanics.

Next up: The last 1/4 of Divinity 2!

Finished Mirrors Edge instead. Turns out I stopped playing it less than 20 minutes before the end of the game!

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.
Yeah, there's no fuckin way I'll be able to finish Hitman 2. Everything just has to be perfect and each little fuckup means methodically plodding through the level again for 25 minutes.

I did beat Bloodlines with a Firearms Tremere. Maybe I should try another RPG next. I've got Alpha Protocol...

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Recess Rapist posted:

Yeah, there's no fuckin way I'll be able to finish Hitman 2. Everything just has to be perfect and each little fuckup means methodically plodding through the level again for 25 minutes.

I did beat Bloodlines with a Firearms Tremere. Maybe I should try another RPG next. I've got Alpha Protocol...

I really enjoyed Alpha Protocol in all honesty. Stealth/pistol build is amazing fun.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why doesn't the Hitman collection include Contracts, why. WHY. :qq:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

poptart_fairy posted:

Why doesn't the Hitman collection include Contracts, why. WHY. :qq:

There's been a licensing issue with Contracts for years. I think it's because it uses licensed music?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
There it goes. Finished GHostbusters. The last level has a very high BULLSHIT level. God drat.

And of course when I do manage to beat a hard part, one of the things gets stuck under the ecto-1.

Fun game, but would not play it again anytime soon. The shitload of details in it is pretty nice, such as having every single haunted thing you find in the building, but drat.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Updated the games list again. Won't be updated for another week or so since I'm moving and won't have access to the Internet on my computer (hooray for unlimited access on my kindle)

Gonna try to finish a few games in my downtime.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Also: Just finished Portal. That was a satisfying thing. Will have to acquire the sequel whe it is discounted and/or for the PS3 since that will have a bundled Steam copy as well.
Time to finish Sam and Max season 1 then.

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems
Making good progress on AC2. I was already partway through the game when I started playing for this thread, but I've just now unlocked Altair's Armor and I'm in the last five or so sequences of the game. The game is such a major improvement over the first one by actually having story missions rather than a few repetitive missions and a handful of assassinations, not to mention the heavily improved combat system.

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

Did a random number generation and the next two games I'll be playing as soon as I'm done AC2 are BIT.TRIP Beat and Machinarium, in that order. Saint's Row 2 is on hold until my co-op buddy fixes his computer.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.
I finished Lego Star Wars Saga today, although it says I've only completed 30.9% of it.. I went through all of the stories, I guess unlocking everything with points and stuff counts towards the rest?
Anyway I've moved on to Darwinia now, and it's a cute game. Dunno how long it will be though the download was only like 60 MB...

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Darwinia's got a pretty decent amount of play in it, it just saves space with the primitive graphics.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
Well, I got about another 13ish percent done in JC2 (I'm planning on keeping it on the front burner until I get horribly bored and/or get the 75% achievement), but I finished two completely unrelated console games in the meantime, so I suppose that's something!

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems
I just beat AC2, and gosh what an ending that was. I can't wait for the PC release of Brotherhood.

Ezio's face in this screenshot pretty much sums up my reaction to to the ending.

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

Now moving onto Bit.Trip, this shouldn't take long.

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"
Just finished up the last of the Riddler's challenges in Arkham Asylum. Great game, great extra content. A couple of terrible boss battles, but nothing that ruined the experience.

Not sure what game I will turn my attention to next, but I have a couple in mind.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to let you know that I'm listed in the OP twice. Still working through the Half Life 2 series. I might be the slowest gamer ever. Finally on the Follow Freeman chapter. Only have gotten a couple hours in.

I'm ready to finish the original game and then dive into Magicka or maybe Warcraft 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Substandard posted:

My first random roll of 1-142 was #27, which is Defense Grid on my list, assuming I counted right. So that's what I'll be playing until I manage to complete it. I am a whopping .4 hours into this game according to my current stats.

So I finished Defense Grid over the weekend. It took about 12 hours, and I enjoyed most of it. The ability to only put towers at certain points makes the game way harder, and actual seems to work out OK after I hated the first few levels of no tower upgrades and like 3 places to put the towers. By the very end I thought it had gone on long enough, but it was a good time, and I think I got my $2 out of it or whatever it cost me.

It feels good to actually get through something and know I didn't just throw the money away.

As a negative, this didn't really help me with the backlog, since I also bought Hitman: Blood Money when it was on sale on Friday, so I still have the 135 things I've not played.

Anyway, my next random roll (now 1-143) was a 6, which leads me to BFBC2. I'll probably play through the single player on this and play the multiplayer a bit before moving on.