Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Upside: I didn't spend any money.
Downside: $56 of store credit at the new local classic gaming shop goes a long way.

New Games:
Descent - PS1
Rayman - PS1
Railroad Tycoon II Gold - Dreamcast
Metroid Prime 2 - Gamecube
Resident Evil - Gamecube
Viewtiful Joe 1 - PS2
Viewtiful Joe 2 - PS2
Ace Combat 4 - PS2
Front Mission 4 - PS2

And still some credit left over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

17-03-12 Completed: Saints Row: The Third - Gangstas In Space (Steam)
17-03-12 Completed: Saints Row: The Third - Genkibowl VII (Steam)

Yay. :unsmith:

17-03-12 New Game: Anno 2070
:shepicide:

Unrelated: Is there a way to set backloggery.com to proper date formatting? dd/mm/yy

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Zedd posted:

17-03-12 Completed: Saints Row: The Third - Gangstas In Space (Steam)
17-03-12 Completed: Saints Row: The Third - Genkibowl VII (Steam)

Yay. :unsmith:

17-03-12 New Game: Anno 2070
:shepicide:

Unrelated: Is there a way to set backloggery.com to proper date formatting? dd/mm/yy

That's the proper US way I think. Pretty illogical but there you go!

As for my backlog, I'm still playing L.A. Noire. I like it. It's a lot longer that what I anticipated.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Completed Stacking, pretty nifty adventure game with a different mechanic from the usual "point & click", where using different abilities to pass through challenges is the order of the day. Got every achievement for the base game and DLC.

Beaten Everyday Genius: SquareLogic. I have been playing this on and off since I bought it during 2010's Christmas, but today I finally finished my 1000th puzzle, earning 23 of 24 achievements, so I can definitively consider it beaten. And it only took 51 hours!

Mastered Defense Grid. Master Strategist with 100 gold medals and huge highscores? Apparently not enough, since the last update added a Supreme Strategist which requires 150 gold medals, plus the new DLC with its own achievements and pretty difficult maps. That got done, bitch. I'm not afraid of you, Defense Grid.

Now trying to finish the original Deus Ex, and yesterday I started playing the campaign of Modern Warfare 2, which has been more fun than I would expect a Call of Duty game to be.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Beat: Star Wars: Dark Forces. Using the XL Engine source port. I find that '90s FPSes are largely hit-and-miss as far as holding up over time goes, but this one actually does. Furthermore, it amazes me that LucasArts got so much right - the look and feel of blasters, the enemy chatter, the music drawn straight from the original trilogy - with so little horsepower available to them, while modern-day games like The Force Unleashed just can't capture that feeling. Highly recommended, if you don't mind 2.5D FPSes.

Beat: Orcs Must Die! On Normal difficulty. It's very rare that I have this much sheer fun with a PC game anymore. Devising trap strategies, nailing orcs in the head with crossbow bolts, and flinging them into pits with magic or spring-traps just never gets old, and despite the game's mechanics being fairly simplistic, it just works on some intangible, visceral level that I can't explain. If you even have the slightest interest in tower-defense games (though this isn't precisely a "tower" defense game, it uses many of the same mechanics), you need to play this one.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Beat: Star Wars: Dark Forces. Using the XL Engine source port. I find that '90s FPSes are largely hit-and-miss as far as holding up over time goes, but this one actually does. Furthermore, it amazes me that LucasArts got so much right - the look and feel of blasters, the enemy chatter, the music drawn straight from the original trilogy - with so little horsepower available to them, while modern-day games like The Force Unleashed just can't capture that feeling. Highly recommended, if you don't mind 2.5D FPSes.

Oh, XLE is now complete enough to play through Dark Forces in it?

Yessssssssssss

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Oh, XLE is now complete enough to play through Dark Forces in it?

Yessssssssssss

Well, it's still in alpha, but I ran it just fine by setting it to run in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode (it wouldn't run for me on Win7 x64). It doesn't have any of the fancy doodads that the DaggerXL part of the engine has yet, but it works.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Just beat Bastion and my goodness what a wonderful game in every respect. That's seriously something that everyone needs to try because it just oozes quality and class from every orifice.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Beat: Stacking. Very cute, but I'm not a big fan of scavenger hunt gameplay.

Nulled: Rayman 3. Cleared the second set of levels, which means I cleared the first boss fight. I will now outline it for you, as a handy bullet-list flowchart:
  • Be chased around the screen by a giant enemy who, thanks to an input bug, is faster than you are unless you're moving in one of the four cardinal directions. If he catches you, take an insultingly small amount of damage that takes four noninteractive seconds to resolve and slows you down for several more seconds, during which he can catch you again.
  • Hit three points on the map while evading him and on the clock or you will have to start over from step 1. The clock continues ticking during the 4-second take-damage animation.
  • A guided rocket spawns on the center of the map. Get to the center of the map before the boss does or he will destroy it and you have to start over from step 1. Note that the boss is likely to be closer to it than you are because the map points are on the ring, randomly selected, and the boss is always moving directly towards you, which means more often than not towards the center of the ring.
  • Now you can shoot guided missiles, but if you do not hit him in three seconds - and it takes an average of 2.5 seconds to hit him assuming he doesn't hit you first - you have to (surprise!) start over from step 1. Note that if the missile is in flight when your three seconds are up it despawns. I had it fizzle directly in front of the boss's face at least four times.
  • Congratulations! You managed to damage the boss. Once. If its health isn't zero yet, go back to step 1.
That is boss one of, apparently, sixteen. The next cutscene after this stage involves Rayman being cussed out by a random NPC and ordered to die, die, die. Yes. That is the way of things. gently caress this game, at least unless I feel a need to suffer for my sins.

Beat: Professor Layton and the Last Specter. I've still got a couple dozen puzzles to mess with here, and lots of bonus content. It's a Layton game, so there's not much to say other than the usual reaction to Layton games (for me, :woop:).

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

I just remembered about backloggery, and I downloaded the program to bring my steam games to backloggery, it only brings my wishlist over and not my games at all.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Aqua Hamster posted:

I just remembered about backloggery, and I downloaded the program to bring my steam games to backloggery, it only brings my wishlist over and not my games at all.

The program broke because of steam website updates; the guy behind it is working on fixing it

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

flatluigi posted:

The program broke because of steam website updates; the guy behind it is working on fixing it

Aah okay. Thanks!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Xik posted:

I'm not sure how you currently pull the information but in case you didn't know; Steam does offer a public "API", although I use the term pretty loosely in this case. Just specify that you want the xml version by adding "?xml=1" to the end of the url.

Eg: My normal profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/xikuan

Xml version of my profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/xikuan?xml=1

So you can get a xml feed of my games by going here http://steamcommunity.com/id/xikuan/games?xml=1

This is delicious, because you can get main game list information using this, but the wishlist completely ignores the xml=1 parameter.

So I still need to deal with HTML to get the wishlist information. :suicide:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ReadMyMind posted:

So I'm trying to use the steam2backloggery tool and it doesn't give me any errors but it only grabs the 20 games on my wishlist and not any of my actual games. Its not set to private it finds my account ok since its picking up the wishlist. Any idea what could be causing this?

Aqua Hamster posted:

:siren: Steam2Backloggery update! :siren:

Get it here as usual. Run bin/steam2backloggery.exe (linux/OSX users: lua steam2backloggery.lua - requires lfs and luasocket).

Fixes:
  • support for Steam's new game-list format, using the (hopefully more stable) XML page format

Known issues:
  • Compilations are not supported (it'll skip them with a warning message). Support will arrive when I can be arsed to upgrade the scraper to handle the assbackwards way they display compilations in the game list (or when backloggery gets a proper API, ha ha)

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Get it here as usual. Run bin/steam2backloggery.exe (linux/OSX users: lua steam2backloggery.lua - requires lfs and luasocket).

Fixes:
  • support for Steam's new game-list format, using the (hopefully more stable) XML page format

Known issues:
  • Compilations are not supported (it'll skip them with a warning message). Support will arrive when I can be arsed to upgrade the scraper to handle the assbackwards way they display compilations in the game list (or when backloggery gets a proper API, ha ha)

Thanks!

ReadMyMind
Aug 31, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Worked perfectly. Thanks a lot.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
I've been going through my collection and beating the shorter games, as well as nullifying a few of them.

Fortix- A fun game which is identical to the Atari game whose name escapes me. You are a unit who is trying to capture the map while at the same time avoiding enemies and projectiles. You do this by moving off of your already capture areas and drawing lines from the path your character makes in order to claim territory.

The Binding of Isaac- This was an entertaining one, it's essentially Zelda I's dungeon sequences with a more morbid scene. In that your mother wants to kill you. I died a bunch at first but then I got a demon power up with a charge attack and 9 lives, which made the game extremely easy.

Portal 2- A friend gifted me this a while ago and we simply beat the multiplayer maps. I finally beat the single player aspect, but by the end the gel was becoming tedious to work with.

I've been playing Dungeons of Dredmor on and off, and have accumulated nearly 90 hours of playtime since I got it last year, but I still haven't beaten it. I have no doubt I would have if I didn't use perma-death, but what's the point of a roguelike without it then?

e: Here's my tag:

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Just beat Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood and the last two missions in that were really frustrating. Everything was easy up to those two and they took me the longest to finish. Really just a pain in the rear end. Think now I'm going to give Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga a try.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Upside: I didn't spend any money.
Downside: $56 of store credit at the new local classic gaming shop goes a long way.

New Games:
Descent - PS1

This is a bit late, but

(a) Descent on the PSX? How do you even control it? :pwn:
(b) Are the data files compatible with one of the engine remakes like D2X-XL, or were they completely reworked for the PSX version?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

ToxicFrog posted:

(a) Descent on the PSX? How do you even control it? :pwn:

Shoulder buttons shoot and thrust, face buttons translate, D-Pad for the remaining axes. Oh man, I had that back in the day. I had Descent Maximum back in the day; it's a straight Descent 2 port, more or less.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Poll: Would you mark a game as beaten if you watched an LP of the game fully through? I know it sounds a bit silly since I'm not the one who went through and did everything, but there are a few games in my backlog I'm lukewarm on touching because I've already seen all the content.

(I know everything's subjective and the marks are guidelines, but I'd still be interested in what people think.)

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

I would just null them in that case.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
On more than one occasion, I've given up on a game and decided to just drop it and read the rest of the events on wikipedia or youtube or what have you. I mark these as beaten and reserve null for games without any real end (i.e. MP-only/sandbox games).

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

You haven't played them yourself, so you haven't beat them.
That should be really obvious. Feel free to null them after an LP but beating should be for stuff you beat..duh.

I almost never null games, If I don't like a game they stay as "unfinished" and only if I actually beat them they go to beat.
That is how the system is supposed to work, so that is how I do it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Just beat the hell out of Wizorb. I loving loved it and would gladly plunk down another $5 for more right now. I guess if I wanted to be super completionist I could restart the game on Hard and go for that achievement + grind for 20 hours for money but ehh.

Also beat Cthulhu Saves the World. Definitely a better game than Breath of Death VII but I was kind of burnt out by the end. I got tired of the dungeons just being giant confusing mazes and the combat got too easy too fast. Funny though that the dungeon thing was in the developer commentary as something he would change if he had to make the game again, shorten some and make others more interesting.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zedd posted:

I almost never null games, If I don't like a game they stay as "unfinished" and only if I actually beat them they go to beat.
That is how the system is supposed to work, so that is how I do it.

To me, it doesn't make sense to have a lot of games listed as "unfinished" that I know I'm never going to touch again. The point of a backlog is that it's something that you are working through; if you finish all the games you actually enjoy and are left with a pile of games that you're never going to touch, that's not a backlog, that's a junk heap from which you've already extracted all the good stuff.

Given that, nulling the games makes sense, at least until there's a separate "it's technically beatable but I'm never going to play it again" status. (I could also just delete them from BL entirely, but this way I have a record of which games I've played and discarded, so I don't end up in a loop of reinstalling it, playing for an hour or two, and then uninstalling it in disgust every year.)

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ManxomeBromide posted:

Shoulder buttons shoot and thrust, face buttons translate, D-Pad for the remaining axes. Oh man, I had that back in the day.

Those are the default controls, but it also supports a dualshock if you change the options.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

flatluigi posted:

Poll: Would you mark a game as beaten if you watched an LP of the game fully through? I know it sounds a bit silly since I'm not the one who went through and did everything, but there are a few games in my backlog I'm lukewarm on touching because I've already seen all the content.

(I know everything's subjective and the marks are guidelines, but I'd still be interested in what people think.)

I dunno, I think it's ok if the game would otherwise be Null. I could never beat let alone complete the first Assassin's Creed, so I watched an LP that cut out all the boring and tedious world-travel and then just marked it as beaten to remind myself that I've seen everything in it.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

I would just null them, since you didn't beat them. The only games I would consider "null" are multiplayer games, and games that don't really have an end, like Titan Quest, or Diablo 2, or any ARPG really, and sandbox games. I guess I consider them beaten if I finish the first difficulty for ARPGs because after that, it's the same thing but enemies have more HP. With sandbox games, I consider completing the main quest/story/set of objectives beating the game.

In the end it doesn't really matter except to you, but I do my best to abide by the backloggery rules to keep the integrity of it in check. That sounds really nerdy and poo poo, integrity for videogame cataloging, but I really don't know a better way to describe it so hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

americanzero4128 posted:

In the end it doesn't really matter except to you, but I do my best to abide by the backloggery rules to keep the integrity of it in check. That sounds really nerdy and poo poo, integrity for videogame cataloging, but I really don't know a better way to describe it so hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say.

I also care way too much about that stuff, hence me not nulling stuff I will never beat until I have played every game I do want to beat first.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

mekkanare posted:

Fortix- A fun game which is identical to the Atari game whose name escapes me.

You're thinking of Qix. Fortix and Fortix 2 are both great games, and there is another Qix-clone on Steam as well - Lightfish.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Beat: Darksiders, with Abyssal Armor all but 2 artifacts with no guide. :toot:

Starting: Gears of War for Windows. Hopefully it's a good port.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

:420: party everyday :420:
Beat Deus Ex: Human Revolution (sitting through all four endings). It was really great, although not as good as the original. To me the story just wasn't as broad or epic. Sure this one mentions the Illuminati a few times, a younger Bob Page shows up in the opening cinematic and... that's it, but the first one also featured the Knights Templar, the Men in Black, Area 51 (aliens included), crazy mutated animals, a rouge A.I. and several more diverse locations to explore. It was like The X-Files almost. This one was just a pretty vanilla if futuristic corporate espionage story by comparison. Also the boss fights were really inconsistent with the rest of it and frustratingly hard. Regardless it was still a fun game for the most part and far surpassed my expectations.

Now on to the Missing Link expansion quest!

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Beat Nimbus. A fun little game where you float around on a glider rocket thing and try and reach the ends of levels. I enjoyed it a lot and it was well worth getting the bundle I got it in (Royale I think).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ACPaco posted:

in the opening cinematic and... that's it
And the after-credits stinger.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

:420: party everyday :420:

Colon V posted:

And the after-credits stinger.

Son of a bitch...

jvempire
May 10, 2009
Beat Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. It's a great game, but it also had some big issues.

Liked:
Unique story and characters. Also very immersive. Like I don't have that big of an interest in vampires and didn't know anything about the WoD universe beforehand, but I really did get invested in the games lore, story and characters.

Disliked:
Combat is kind of annoying and the third act (plus the sewer part) is pretty bad because of this. Also there is a lot of glitches and bugs that can happen, because of either the outdated source engine or just because the game is kinda buggy either way.

If your a fan of Deus Ex or of Obsidian's games I'd recommend it.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I tried to beat Doom 3 but nulled it instead, I gave it a good go but got 10 hours in and thought "gently caress it", I'm so over this.

This screenshot sums up the game quite well:

It would be funny if that wasn't what I was looking at the entire game.

I'm still trying to beat Super Meat Boy, I'm on the second to last level, but the game stubbornly refuses to let me pass it. I spent 5 hours getting to the last world and spent that long on the last 4 levels so far. I'm so bad at this game.

Spent 40+ hours playing Stalker: Clear Sky only to find out that there is a show stopper bug just before the end which won't let me finish. I'm not sure if my conscious will let me mark it as beat, but it pisses me off that I'll never get to finish it.

e: VVVVV Thanks for the link but the darkness was only one of the reasons I stopped playing, I just didn't want to get all :spergin: about how I thought it was a terrible game.

Xik fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 25, 2012

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Xik posted:

I tried to beat Doom 3 but nulled it instead, I gave it a good go but got 10 hours in and thought "gently caress it", I'm so over this.

There's plenty of mods that solve the "lol dark" issue. I recommend Sikkmod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Finally got around to beating Sonic Generations.