Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My name is Rupert and I'm making sure I don't get in any deeper.

I have a saving grace, though... I'm on a mac. That didn't stop me, however, from making numerous purchases of PC-only games, thinking that 'I'd get around to them someday'. But they're classics... Deus Ex... Sim City 3-4... I've been wondering when Borderlands: GOTY is going to hit Steam, because I know I'll buy that and never play it.

My problem is is that I love to multitask. I'm always chatting with someone, or watching youtube videos, and playing something. A lot of games I love, but they go full-screen, and usually require me to shut down everything else, and I can't keep my focus for long.

Godspeed fellow Steamers, especially those with many more games than I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Can you even beat Euro Truck Simulator 2?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Nulled: Lugaru HD

It's Quentin Tarantino's Watership Down, basically. Actually pretty fun, but too hard for me.

Wait, what? I've owned this forever, from back before it was even on Steam, and all I remember was being an animal, just running around. Your description makes it sound actually good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Good god, ok, nevermind.

Also, I definitely got this game as part of one of the first humble bundles, back when they were few and far between. Came with Gish, World of Goo, Braid (maybe?) and probably Crayon Physics. This was back in the day before everyone started porting their games to OS X, and even with the dearth of titles available, I STILL didn't play those games (already played World of Goo on Wii, and Braid on the 360).

Man, gently caress Lugaru.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you wanted a good Mafia game, I recommend Mafia 1 or, my personal favorite, The Godfather. The Godfather manages to be the best mob movie and mob video game.

It really is great, and this is coming from someone who played it on the Wii.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Are you kidding me, the Wii has the best version! You literally take people by the cuff of their shirts, punch them in the mouth/stomach and toss them out windows. The motion controls have you mimicing the movements you would make to do those things.

Yeah, those were great, but because of the system's limitations, cars would literally disappear if you looked away from them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Beat - Monaco: My friends and I've been co-oping this for a few weeks. It's a pretty fun game if everyone's cooperating. Not sure how it'd be single player, because it gets really challenging towards the end with a definite need for the various class abilities.

This is good to hear. I keep jumping into it in single player (haven't organized a multiplayer session yet, no time lately), and while I like it, it doesn't really grab me like I thought it would. Someday, I'll play online.

EDIT: Also, is everyone here on Backloggery? I just found out about it because of what you just posted, and now I'm kind of obsessed adding games to the list. I just wish it would auto-detect all of my games by linking in to my Steam account/XBL account. I'm on there as robot_cousin if anyone wants to add me.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 11, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MajorMarcus posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned on here, but I've started using SteamCompletionist to track game progress. It doesn't have as many features as Backloggery, but it looks a lot nicer and you don't have to bother with importing your Steam library (which is the biggest reason why I moved away from Backloggery).

Dammit, this site is not co-operating with work, which is weird, since like... nothing is blocked here at all ever.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Completed - Fez - I think enough has been written about this game (and Phil Fish). I used a guide to get everything because hell if I'm going to figure some of that insane poo poo out on my own.

To be fair, figuring out Fez on my own was like God himself reaching down and scratching my itchy brain.

Well, maybe not like that, but it was extremely satisfying.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I was moving along in my backlog, getting further and further in Risk of Rain, Batman Arkham Asylum, and Shovel Knight, but then I went and got Resident Evil 4, now on the fourth platform I've owned (GC, Wii, 360,and now PC).

It's either telling of the game's quality or my lack of gaming sanity that I'm once again fully-entrenched in Leon's plight. The Commando/Bruce Wayne/Shovel Knight can go to hell for the time being (but not really, I quite enjoy all of those games :ohdear:)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

dhamster posted:

Started: Risk of Rain

I can see myself liking it but it hasn't really clicked for me yet. The sequence of "run for 90 seconds, then kill everything" you experience during the boss fight doesn't make much sense to me, and beating up on big crowds of enemies seems to involve more "cheap" tactics than I'd like. I remember one encounter where I repeatedly bounced on a jump pad and fired an AoE attack into a crowd of enemies until I got impatient and jumped onto the platform they were standing on, at which point I died immediately. Close to nulling this one.

I all but hated this game the first few times I tried it, and then it just clicked. If I could make a couple of suggestions to get the most enjoyment out of it, they would be:

a) play with a controller: Playing this with a keyboard is really horrible, more so than most platformers, I find, so if you don't have a controller yet, I would strongly suggest just waiting until you do.
b) play on easy until you beat the game once: Playing on Easy only means that you'll miss out on monster logs, but you'll still be able to unlock other characters, and speaking of which...
c) play as the commando until you actually beat the game: the commando is pretty great all-around
d) spend spend spend that money on as many upgrades as possible (you'll become a god with regenerating health, lightning helping you out, and ghosts of fallen enemies beating up on living enemies) but...
e) don't linger too long in levels, as the difficulty is always climbing, no matter what: Spend too much time on a map, even with no one around, and when you jump into the next one, every enemy will be that much harder (or you'll be closer to the next difficulty level). Keep an eye out on the meter on the upper-right-hand corner. One of the best times to go buying stuff is after you've found the teleporter, assuming you can get around quickly enough (the speed upgrades are great). So, don't go too out of your way to find something to buy, but don't ignore everything, either. You simply won't survive on Medium or above without any help.

Doing all of these things has brought the fun of the game up about tenfold.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

BEATEN: Uninvited - Old MacVenture game that is brutally difficult, so I brought a walkthrough. A lot of the fun of this was just doing poo poo to see what got me killed, which was, PLENTY. My main issue with the MacVenture games is that they seem to have a time limit (or move limit) before you lose. Which brings me to:

SHELVED: Shadowgate - The torches burning out just drove me nuts, as well as the limited inventory size.

That's a shame, since you get a ton of torches in Shadowgate.

Also, there's only a time limit in Uninvited (at least the NES version) if you pick up a specific item.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Good week for clearing shorter games!

BEATEN: Metal Dead - The adventure game aspect is solid, the visuals and presentation are not. This is an ugly game, and a very bland and unfunny game, but the actual adventure game logic/puzzles are pretty decent. This is a budget title through and through. Also the MIDI music is horrible. There's no voice acting so you may as well just play it on mute.

BEATEN: Sweet Fuse - 'WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?!' a dating sim with character art by the artist of Phoenix Wright where you're held hostage in a theme park overthrown by a dude in a pig costume who has rigged the entire place with explosives. Sweet Fuse does a good job of balancing the 'high stakes' setting with the romance paths. The only real 'gameplay' is making choices, and sometimes finding a key phrase in particular strings of dialogue (called Explosive Insight), as well as getting to shout at people who piss you off, which you should do all the time. The path I chose was the boy band teen because to be honest the rest of the cast are all like twice the protagonist's age and it would be kind of creepy to pair her up with them. One of the characters has like a 6-7 year old kid, it's like, yikes.

BEATEN: Castle in the Darkness - In the list of Metroidvanias I've played on Steam I would place this squarely in the middle. One of the bright spots about the game is that it is absolutely FULL of secrets. Optional paths, optional REGIONS, optional bosses, and apparently there's more secrets unlocked if you 100% the game, which I did not because I didn't feel like it. The controls are very responsive, the platforming is just okay and honestly it's not as difficult as people say it is. The real problem is that you have very little hitpoints and enemies do way too much damage for the majority of the game. You won't get really decent armor until right before you clear the game (for me it was the Dream Armor I acquired right before I fought the final boss). For half the game you're stuck with just +1 armor. It's rough. You actually will want to find those optional paths just to fight more bosses to get more HP Up rewards.

ADDED: NaissanceE

BACKLOG PROGRESS:
Steam: Beaten 286 of 565 games (50.6%)
Console: Beaten 25 of 69 games (36.2%)

You just sold me on Castle in the Darkness.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ACPaco posted:

CURRENTLY PLAYING
Kerbal Space Program - Already in my top five timesinks of all time on Steam, approaching 100 hours and I still haven't gone past the moons. I'll consider it beat when I get to the game's parallel for Mars. (Then again the game is still in beta so we'll see.)

Just a heads-up, there's a huge, official update (bringing it to 1.0) on Monday. Stuff's going to change. I would have already been getting back into it, but I can't convince myself to do that before the update.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

You know what I nulled? Trying to input my library into backloggery.com

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Breadallelogram posted:

what the gently caress

He asked himself if this is all he wants, and when he didn't get a resounding "YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH" from his inside Dexter voice, he stopped.

It will all just happen again, way down the line.

But not to me. :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

More like - it's a driving game, there are a lot of driving games out there that let you gently caress around with different cars with missions/races in San Francisco while running over pedestrians like Burnout Paradise or Driver: San Francisco (or GTA for that matter.) I'd honestly never heard of it before playing it, didn't realize it was a classic, but sometimes those classics are just that. I loved the original Civilization when it came out but would never play it now.

Oh, I know. It's an arcade game that got a fairly accurate Dreamcast port, followed by ports to every platform imaginable after that.

And my entire response was a play on the Offspring songs that used to play over and over again in the original version.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Breadallelogram posted:

The Offspring songs are cut from the steam version, so I don't blame him for not getting it.

Yeah, I know, hence why I said 'used to play...'. I figured that's what the deal was.

ANYWAY, yeah, Crazy Taxi was, a long time ago, crazy fun. I still love it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Man, I wish I could play Rocket League :smith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

I really want to like the left for dead games but they have some of the weakest feeling guns I've ever used in a videogame.

I can see this, but also, almost everyone you're shooting at (the common undead) fold like paper.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, I've started to use Steam Completionist to try and get through my backlog, or at least give eveey game a shot. I play everything from the couch now, so having a Steam controller helps in that endeavour. Some I've played a bunch, but haven't actually gotten to the true ending.

So, right now, I have 10 games on tap:

Antichamber
FTL
Gunpoint
Mark of the Ninja
Shovel Knight
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Spelunky (beaten on 360, once)
Amnesia
Darkest Dungeon
Invisible Inc

Any suggestions on what to tackle first? I kind of want to order them, and whenever I beat whatever's listed as #1, I'll move everything up one, and add a new game in the #10 spot.

I think that's a good system. I genuinely enjoy all of these games, but I'm constantly hit with this weird feeling of never having the motivation to play any of them, despite having an almost nightly opportunity to do so (plus there's usually nothing else to do).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

al-azad posted:

Antichamber can be completed in a weekend evening and it's the kind of game that's best played at once because its shtick is an ever changing setting. Gunpoint is about as short. Mark of the Ninja and Shovel Knight are a little more involved and you should tackle them like a weekend rental. Amnesia and Stick of Truth are longer and more evolved and about equal length. The big problem is fitting in the roguelikes FTL, Spelunky, Darkest Dungeon, and Invisible Inc. FTL and Spelunky are the least involved because the cycle of runs is much shorter. Invisible Inc's "story" is pretty short but it's all about customizing its difficulty as you get more comfortable with its gameplay. Completing Darkest Dungeon is its own project.

So really I'd say get Antichamber and Gunpoint out of the way and play the roguelikes inbetween Mark of the Ninja and Shovel Knight. You can book end them with South Park and Amnesia, although I'd probably play South Park after amnesia to wash away the grunge and horror.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback! So, the new list's order is:

1. Antichamber
2. Gunpoint
3. Shovel Knight
4. FTL
5. Mark of the Ninja
6. Spelunky
7. Amnesia
8. SP
9. Invisible Inc
10. Darkest Dungeon

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

That list looks good, but I'd also warn you: Shovel Knight is really, really difficult in its later stages, and if you don't have the patience/skill for precision jumping under pressure, it could put a stopper on finishing it. (Thinking of you, Propeller Knight!) It's really good otherwise, just be warned that when you tackle it, it won't be as forgiving as Mark of the Ninja.

Well, the good thing is, I've already beaten Propellor Knight, so :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

anticlimactic ending

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the game where his arm is actually his wife?

If so... :psyduck:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Count Uvula posted:

Or the new Hitman which hasn't aged at all and is just as good :toot:

Is it really? I haven't been paying attention, so that's good to hear.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fart of Presto posted:

:)
I always hate it when I give up on a goon-loved and highly regarded game. I feel I'm missing something because I simply don't "get" why everyone else loves it, but I always try to figure out why it doesn't click with me.
It's often just some very simple things that then annoys me so much, it ruins the whole experience. Or sometimes I'm just so bad at the game, probably because I play it "the wrong way" or needs to "git gud" that I give up before it starts to become interesting.
The former, like Batman: Arkham Asylum's incessant radio chatter, I can try to ignore but it just gets on my nerves, and the latter, like Dark Souls' need for a certain amount of skill and focus, without a true "Easy" mode, or Deus Ex: Human Revolution's need to carefully choose your play style and stick with it, is something where I probably could go back and spend time learning to play it right, but simply don't have the time or feeling the need to do it because there are so many other games to play.
I do try and go back once in a while: I've lined up both Batman: AA and DX:HR and will give them another try in the future.

As for the grandma/casual games, it's a question of playing something mindless to wind down, be it Hidden Object games, Match 3, Time Management or any other kind of silly puzzle games, where there are often no time limits, unlimited retries, no adrenaline pumping action etc. Just something to play while relaxing.
And as I can't stand most of the whiny writing and the stuck-in-another-century UI of RPGMaker games, that often check the same marks as my casual game choices, I guess I'm stuck playing grandma games.

:jerry:

I felt this way towards Dungeons of the Endless. I want to like it SO much, and it's not clicking, but I'm also not devoting enough time into it at each attempt.

Goddammit, I'm practically ruining it for myself, really.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 28, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

al-azad posted:

Fart of Presto, if you have an Apple device you need to play Hidden My Game By Mom. It's a free "hidden object" game about a kid looking for his DS while avoiding his mom. I won't say any more.

Also out for Android.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Glare Seethe posted:

I installed Risk of Rain next, hopefully it's fun in singleplayer too cause I don't really play multiplayer.

edit: Are these jellyfish supposed to be so loving annoying? Christ.

I will always go back to playing this game, but only as the commando :negative:

I'm just too used to his playstyle that I can't get anywhere with anyone else.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Time management and also I don't really get into timesink games very often

What's your percentage now?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

dhamster posted:

Nulled: BattleBlock Theater - I wanted to like this one but it didn't really click with me either. Getting through the levels just didn't feel interesting to me compared to other platformers.

I actually really enjoyed this on its own, but apparently this game shines (and was meant to shine) with co-op, local if possible. I haven't experienced it yet, so I don't know, it's just what everyone says. Maybe give that a try?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

InevitableCheese posted:

I think the thing that can mess a lot of people up is if they use IdleMaster or something similar to farm cards.

Idlemaster absolutely ruins any sort of honest stats, so be warned, goons-who-have-never-used-it, because aside from getting a brand new Steam account and rebuying everything, you can't go back.

EDIT: I assume this is you, Cheese?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/InevitableCheese

If so, I've added you. I'm on there as robot_cousin.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 16, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Despite the fact that I have literally hundreds of games to beat, I recently completed Resident evil 4 for what must be the 12th time (first on Steam, though) and immediately started over with the infinite rocket launcher, bustin' heads (and literally everything else)

:black101:

For my next trick, absolutely 100%-ing this game, something I've never done. Beaten the main campaign many times, even once on Professional, but I've never gotten 5 stars on everything in Mercenaries, nor have I ever had a save file with both Separate Ways and Assignment Ada completed.

Really thankful for cloud saving through Steam.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 25, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

InevitableCheese posted:

I think I put like 100+ hours into that game on PS2. Me and my parents still co-op RE5 every Christmas. :v:

I think it's incredible that you regularly (as a tradition, no less!) play Resident Evil ANYTHING with your parents.

I hope your post will mirror experiences my son will have when he gets older.

"Son, let me tell you about the Ganados..."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

dhamster posted:

Is it really that good? Maybe I will have to give it another chance. I might be overlooking something aspect of the controls.

I don't know, at first I enjoyed it, and then I just lost all interest in it :negative:

I thought 'maybe I'm just tired of kart racers', but no; I could go 4 full cups of any Mario Kart right the gently caress now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Chief Savage Man posted:

and I'm trying to just stick with what I'm having fun with instead of treating every game I've got as an obligation.

This right here is why I'm still playing RE4 :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Contingency Plan posted:

I posted this almost five years ago and finally finished Alpha Protocol last night. I was having technical problems with my PC at the time and AP got lost in the shuffle.

I have mixed feelings. There were times when things would click and I would enjoy having Thornton choke a fool out and immediately take out a guard with a single shotgun blast, or enter a room and use chainshot to drop three mooks simultaneously. I liked how Alpha Protocol would give you this constant feed of perks and bonuses for your conversation choices and approach to combat. However, I was unengaged by the plot (something about stolen missiles, unscrupulous corporation looking to profit from cold war 2.0...yawn). I really did not care for their approach to gear customization with its insistence that a part that boosts one stat must come at a penalty to one or more others i.e. a pistol barrel that enhances firepower also reduces stability and recoil. This made me lose interest in exploring the levels because aside from reading backstory e-mails, that's how you get gear and the money to buy gear.

By the final level I was mentally checked out and just wanted get across the finish line. I know Alpha Protocol benefits from multiple playthroughs so I'll make a new veteran character, but my heart's not really in it, especially when I remember how the Saudi Arabia levels drag on.

Well, the main draw of this game is the plot, and how your choices matter moreso here than in a lot of other games. The main piece of advice for starting this game is 'in order to make combat trivial because it kind of sucks and is very much NOT the reason to play the game, level up pistols and stealth and be done with it beyond that... now go and have great conversations!'.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

dhamster posted:

Started: Puzzle Agent - Got this in a bundle a long time ago. Thought I'd hate it but it actually is decently well written, and I like the voice acting. Puzzles aren't bad either. Around halfway done.

Yeah, for all 3 people who haven't played this yet, it's like Professor Layton mixed with Goofy Fargo. Definitely check it out. That being said, I still need to finish it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

EightDeer posted:

Next up: I've had the Half-Life II episodes in my library for years, waiting for Episode III and/or the third game. I think it's safe to call Half-Life a dead series at this point, so I'll get these done.

Looking forward to hearing what you think about Episode 2.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ManxomeBromide posted:

Other than that I don't have anything I need to explain: these parts of the formula were clearly set by Link's Awakening, not by Ocarina of Time. And of my three favorite Zelda games, Zelda 1 and LBW are much more open-ended in terms of accomplishing major plot events, gimmick fights are rare, and there isn't any trading or skulltula/seashell hunts. Majora's Mask keeps the formulaic elements to some degree but flips enough expectations around that I stop disliking them as much. The overworld is more directed but the overworld is in a very real sense the primary focus of the game; skulltulas are a location-based subquest instead of a scavenger hunt from Hell; gimmickry in the boss fights is based around transformation masks instead of the actual items you find in the dungeons.

Wind Waker, while I loved it, is pretty much Ocarina of Time/LttP, in terms of that whole formula. Great atmosphere, though, and the final fight with Ganondorf is probably my favourite Zelda boss fight ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ManxomeBromide posted:

COMPLETED: Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. I played a ton of this as a kid and tended to stall out shortly after Palace 3. But now I've cleared it honestly. I needed two map consultations (I'd missed a magic container and routing the Great Palace is horrific) and one actual hint (how to damage the penultimate boss).

For a game that's supposed to be the black sheep of the Zelda series it holds up surprisingly well. Once I got a handle on the combat system I was enjoying myself thoroughly.

Aw, one of my favourites! :toot: It's actually the first Zelda game I had ever played, so when I was little, and couldn't read (which this game literally helped with ; I can't read the words 'young man' without thinking about it), I thought it was the first game.

I've been told that Eliot Quest on Steam is a worthy tribute. I really have to check it out.