Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Click here for the full 512x726 image.

This is my current backlog and I am actually playing through it.

Or at least, completed six games off it since the start of the year (Darksiders, Singularity, Mafia, Machinarium, Bob Came In Pieces and Dragon Age: Origins).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
I'm probably going to play a shorter game (either Worms Reloaded, Monkey Island 2 or Lugaru HD) next as a break, then play through Dragon Age: Awakening while DAO is fresh in my memory.

Any other short game recommendations from my backlog?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Migishu posted:

Age of Wonders, Chronicles of Riddick, Just Cause 2, Monkey Island 2, The Witcher.

They're all fantastic games (I haven't had experince with Riddick or Witcher, but I've heard absolutely wonderful things about this)

I just finished adding all my games to my backloggery account. I have a long way to go...

Age of Wonders, Just Cause 2 and the Witcher aren't exactly short games, though.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
There we go, completed the Worms:Reloaded campaign (or at least, the main 30 missions - the five extra ones are absolute bullshit).

Only 77 games to go!

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
Just started playing through the base Dawn of War II campaign, it's more fun than I remember it being.

Also, yet another game with Steve Blum.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Zedd posted:

Tip: Soldier is fun in the second game but in the first the class really suffers from its uhm...RPG-statsbased gunplay so to speak.
Roll an Adapt, use at least one other biotic; alternatively roll vanguard and boost barrier+shotguns and walk up to dudes and kill them point black with explosive rounds.

I would think that Soldier suffers more because 90% of the enemies are bulletsponges that you just have to hold the trigger down for.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
Finished Dawn of War 2's base campaign, started on Chaos Rising - the resource pack changes are kinda annoying, and I really wish it would give me some non-corrupting Terminator Armour.

Also Cyrus' AI really loves running right into a big horde and then dying a whole bunch.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Awcko posted:

I just beat AC2, and gosh what an ending that was. I can't wait for the PC release of Brotherhood.

Ezio's face in this screenshot pretty much sums up my reaction to to the ending.

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

Now moving onto Bit.Trip, this shouldn't take long.

Oh god, if you thought AC2's ending was weird, well, Brotherhoods is even more absurd.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
I finished The Ball (Pretty fun and unique with some dubious design choices, but it's worth a play) and Bulletstorm (Solid shooter, the dialog is amusing if a bit immature), still working through DoW2: Chaos Rising, but the new Tactics Ogre game has been a big distraction, and I'm taking a short break to play Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, which has been fun so far.

Oh, and my backlog keeps growing.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
Finally finished R.U.S.E.'s campaign after playing it on and off for months since the treasure hunt last year - pretty fun, though the plot sorta just stops being plausible when you invade soviet-held Germany as the french army.

And have battle ready nuclear artillery in 1945.

Started playing Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 - it's fun, but it's also really clunky in some ways and it's another lazy port with forced toggle crouch. gently caress toggle crouch.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Can you please explain your experiences with Homefront please?

I have some thoughts from the 20 minutes or so I've messed with so far:
-Toggle loving crouch.
-You can't change graphics settings without quitting the level, now this wouldn't be bad, except:
-Checkpoints don't persist beyond quitting the level and...
-The first level starts with a really long, UNSKIPPABLE cutscene.

Needless to say, this is making finetuning it so it doesn't lag a huge chore.

EDIT: They do persist but you still have to sit through the stupid long video first.

Also, Boone is basically Roger Murtaugh from Lethal Weapon so far (end of Chapter 2) - complete with the "I'm getting too old for this poo poo." line.

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 18, 2011

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Season 1 was telltale's first effort and compared to what they've done more recently it's definitely amateur hour. Season 1 can be skipped honestly because season 2 is where it at least get's tolerable, and Season 3 is an even better upgrade from there.

It's worth noting that they changed the control system between Season 2 and Season 3, and the Season 3 one is bloody awful.

Also, finished HOMEFRONT, it's like, 4~hrs long. Reasonably fun in a "dumb linear FPS campaign" kinda way, though.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
And there's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 completed, reasonably fun though it has some glaring flaws (like it's love of placing enemies right round a corner with a shotgun, who have superhuman reflexes and one shot you before you react, or toggle crouch). Current Backlog - probably going to knock off Monkey Island 2 next.

EDIT: Decided to go with Torchlight, onward Del the Alchemist and his Dog, Rodney.

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 19, 2011

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
And there's Torchlight down. Next game unknown, possibly the rest of Metro 2033 or Painkiller.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

:w00t: finally beat VVVVVV! Now to find those last three trinkets and maybe play some time trials and intermissions.

If one of those trinkets is Vini Vidi Vici then you're gonna be at it a while.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
I'd say Singularity because it's basically BioShock but with actual good shooter mechanics and a different plotline. It's also not hugely long.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
^^^^^
You can finish Flight Control HD and PB Winterbottom in a few hours each.
Also, Geometry Wars has no end to my knowledge.

--

Personally, I've been playing through the F.E.A.R. series, already completed F.E.A.R., F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin and F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn, and am now onto F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point.

Plus I beat the single player of Portal 2, obviously.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
http://i.imgur.com/DhD2T.png

I am at a loss as to what to play next, beyond the fact that I am too bored of F.E.A.R. to play Perseus Mandate at the moment and that I need to play The Witcher before the sequel comes out.

Suggestions for a short game to play through as a break before tackling the Witcher?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

SmokinDan posted:

Sam & Max Season 3 is awesome and each episode is only a few hours long. I'm guessing you've played Season 2?

I tried the first episode of S3 and stopped because they changed the controls to something that's much worse - is there any way to fix it and make it the same as Season 2's?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Thewittyname posted:

Jolly Rover is a really fun point-and-click adventure game that will take you four hours, tops. The Shadowgrounds games are also pretty short, but I think they're awful (poor controls and repetitive gameplay.)

Tried Shadowgrounds, needs some tinkering to run at the correct resolution, so I skipped to Shadowgrounds: Survivor. It was pretty fun.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
Does anyone know any way of either cheesing or cheating past the final boss in Bit.Trip Beat? It's bloody hard, plus the paddle glitches out half the time.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
Now that I'm done with Uni til September, it's time to tackle this backlog.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

KFCB posted:

I do it by genre association but if I have 4 or more titles of a series, I give them their own specific grouping.

So I have Action/Adventure, Shooter, Puzzle, RPG & Strategy for most games but then groupings of Half-Life, Sam & Max, Grand Theft Auto, Prince of Persia, etc since all those titles came in packs and putting them in my genre folders creates a lot of clutter.

I do something similar, though I go by developer for certain ones (iD, Valve) and any games that might be associated with their franchise (eg, Half-Life: Blue Shift). Tech Demos and Mac versions go in games, at the bottom, while anything I'm currently playing or play regularly goes in favourites.

http://i.imgur.com/TsTfJ.png

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
http://backloggery.com/chrisasmadi

Here's mine, gradually chugging along adding my Steam games list.

Null is for stuff like EU3 and TF2 that has no end, right?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Hemish posted:

Man this is a bit sad. I won't have one single completed game I think. I don't care at all for achievements or getting 100% in a game like GTA or Batman : Arkham Asylum.

My completed ones basically consist of adventure games that once you've beaten them, you're pretty much done.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Finally finished adding most of my PC games onto it. All those iD and strategy games really drove up my unfinished total.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Caved in today and bought Hector: Episode 1 from the Telltale online store. It was $2.50 because they're having a 75% off sale, that's basically free!

Still, that's the only game I've bought since Bully in April. Which was also around $3.

I've been playing the first Fear expansion pack which I somehow missed back when it came out, but grabbed as part of a Steam deal. Fear was one of my favorite FPS games of the last few years, they just nailed the controls and overall feel of the game, and the gimmicks were really fun. The Asian horror movie staple long-haired girl stopped being scary right away though.

edit: poo poo, completely forgot I also bought Pathologic from a GoG sale last month. I've barely even played that either.

Hector is only about two hours long, so it won't take much to complete. It's decent, though.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
I've been playing through Red Faction: Guerilla currently, and like I remember from the 360 version, it's fun, but they either need to scale up how much salvage you get as rewards or half how much everything costs, because the grind is tedious at times.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

tokyosexwale posted:

Yeah, this tends to be my problem as well. As long as I go interrupted on a game and play it at least a little bit every day, I'm fine. As soon as I forget about it or something comes up so that I can't play continously, it is not good news for that game. See the case for: The Witcher, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, everything....

However, I also have some good/inspiring news.

:siren: After 2.5 years I have made it out of Act II in the Witcher :siren:

This is huge for me. I might actually finish the game now

Don't worry, you have to go back to the swamp in Act III.

Also, I finished Red Faction: Guerilla and am now playing through Red Faction: Armageddon. It's not much like RF:G, but it is fun, and it has some neat weapons (though bar the Magnet Gun, which is hilariously awesome, most of the new ones are kinda bad).

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

I should be done with STALKER SoC tomorrow, with my day off. I did all of Brain Scorcher and it was the best challenge I had in a long time. Finally, an area that might as well constantly fill you with radiation and the endless Monolith squads finally drained me of most of my 100+ bandages and a handful of kits. I hope the Pripyat section also forces me to constantly use up items. It will be tough since I somehow lost my Exosuit in a glitch and I can't select my grenades.

The CNPP is a big drain on resources, and even with my modded carry capacity and three different guns (with different ammo types), I was even running low on ammo, never mind restoratives.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
I managed to play through Quantum of Solace and Kane & Lynch this week, along with a few more matches of MtG2012.

QoS was pretty fun, K&L less so, and it was buggy to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
Beaten Garshasp (quite fun, considering I rarely play God of War type games, but the camera is evil), Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood (decent enough, and it was short enough to not overstay it's welcome) and Nation Red (campaign sucks, considering it's the same mission 17 times with only one different one, especially the maps where zombies come from all directions). Some progress on the backlog, at least (though I also added DiRT3 and Crayon Physics Deluxe).

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 26, 2011