Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Man belongs wherever he wants to go
I'll have to get in on this random-generator poo poo sometime. Currently I'm playing my way through Mass Effect 2 after beating the first one at long last (had it for 360, lost the blasted disc, picked up a Christmas deal copy on Steam, loved the poo poo out of it), then I've got a ton of games to actually beat. Amnesia, Dragon Age, Max Payne, and Indigo Prophecy come to mind. Any recommendation from that list? I've also got Deus Ex that I never beat, STALKER (currently hanging out at the Yantar lab), Republic Commando, Titan Quest, The Void, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Assassin's Creed (beat once, playing through again to ease myself into the sequel which I have never played), Beyond Good & Evil, Cryostasis, Darksiders, Fallout 3, FarCry 2, Hitman 1 and 2, Manhunt, Mirror's Edge, Psychonauts, and Condemned. (Okay, Condemned isn't a Steam game, sue me.)

Jesus Christ, maybe this is why my bank account tanked after Christmas. How have I not dropped out of college yet?

Mr. Saturday fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

americanzero4128 posted:

If you want something quick, don't play Deus Ex. If you want a game that is loving awesome, tons of replayability, and will last you a while, then play Deus Ex. Return to Castle Wolfenstein is pretty fun and isn't a long game.

It'll probably be RTCW then unless something else catches my fancy. I've always loved id's games, and I've played through a bit of it. I can't remember why I stopped...I think it was the second level where you have to infiltrate the base without being detected. That seemed a little needlessly difficult, but I can always give it another go. Nazi-killing's one of those good standbys that doesn't get old for me.

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Recess Rapist posted:

Yeah, there's no fuckin way I'll be able to finish Hitman 2. Everything just has to be perfect and each little fuckup means methodically plodding through the level again for 25 minutes.

I did beat Bloodlines with a Firearms Tremere. Maybe I should try another RPG next. I've got Alpha Protocol...

I really enjoyed Alpha Protocol in all honesty. Stealth/pistol build is amazing fun.

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Alright! Just beat Mass Effect 2 and was seriously blown away. Straight Paragon ALMOST the whole time. I'll have to play again as Nega-Shepard sometime and be a dick to everyone in the universe.

Next on the table is Return To Castle Wolfenstein. After a busy 28 gameplay hours of shooting people, I should take a break and just shoot people instead.

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

fatpat268 posted:

Have you played Blood Money yet? That game is simply superb. It reminds me a bit of the trial and error gameplay I had to do in the Splinter Cell series, but more varied.

On a side note... I relapsed and bought Fallout NV Dead Money and C&C RA3. :\

Stopped myself short of buying Bulletstorm. It's drat hard. Especially now that you mentioned Fallout: NV and I really want it. :|

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

RTCW's starting to get on my nerves. The damage is inordinately high, and I'm on EASY mode. I'm stuck on the first part where you encounter those leaping enemies with the electric crotches, and I can't avoid losing half my health when they attack. The Venom is absurdly powerful, but it's too inaccurate to be effective. Is there some difficulty glitch I'm not aware of, or some special way to beat these guys I'm not getting?

e: Got past that part by sheer luck - last electric bad guy glitched into a corner and I just stabbed him with bullets until he died. But the damage still seems ridiculously high for easy difficulty. Maybe it's just two years of World of Warcraft catching up with me, I dunno.

Mr. Saturday fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 6, 2011

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Just beat Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I've gotta say, some parts, certain levels, were REALLY fun. The dam level had to be my favorite, and I don't know if I'll get tired of that music from the first level. And okay, the part where you have to stealth around the village and kill all the generals was pretty great too. However, I have made a video to sum up my frustrations with the game's sparse downsides: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X85-e5eysNQ (I was frustrated, it was therapeutic. v:shobon:v )

Anyways, next up, I'm thinking I'll start up a game I absolutely gush praise for, but because of various distractions, have never finished - Star Wars: Republic Commando!

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Just finished Republic Commando. The ending seemed kind of abrupt, but I didn't really see it coming. It's a shame too because I love the characters in the game, and actually losing Sev really sucks. I sort of expected it to be a little longer, but for what it's worth, it was fun as hell.

I've got a few options I feel like exploring now. Bear in mind when I say I stopped due to difficulty, it was a couple years ago, and I don't suck so much at games now. Republic Commando was put on hold for the same reason.

-Condemned: Criminal Origins (from D2D - stopped for reasons unknown, it's a great game from what I played of it)
-Mirror's Edge (played most of it on the 360, but never finished it and lost the disc)
-Max Payne (started playing, stopped due to difficulty)
-Indigo Prophecy (started playing, got pussified by a jump-scare, stopped)
-Darksiders (started playing, stopped)
-Amnesia (started playing, continued to wuss out when I tried)
-Deus Ex (started playing, stopped due to difficulty)
-Assassin's Creed (beat once, halfway through, want to beat again to lead into AC2)
-Manhunt (started playing, stopped due to difficulty)

I'm kind of leaning towards Condemned, but AC1's still sort of laying around half-finished, and when I beat that one, I'd probably move right on to AC2...

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Golashes posted:

Think I'm going to start Dark Messiah on the side with Warhead. I'm going to see if I can get my 360 controller adapter working again, and if so I'll convince my buddies to do Trine with me.

Condemned is pretty good and not that long if I remember right. Max Payne is one of my favorite games ever personally and really rewarding to finish. Indigo Prophecy is kind of a comedy option because of the infamously ridiculous ending (up until the last hour and a half or so the game is pretty solid game though).

Then I'll just go ahead and do Condemned. That's been unfinished longer than AC.

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

KOTOR is a pretty long game, I'd go with that, it's one of my all-time favorites. The first world is gonna be an endurance test because it's horribly boring but after that you become a Jedi it gets way better.

I always did rather like Taris myself, but yeah, the game really picks up when you hit Dantooine, and really beyond Dantooine as well. I second the recommendation, it's a fantastic game that really does well in making you feel like you're in a populated and busy galaxy.

PandasEVERYWHERE posted:

Welp, just knocked Doom 3 off my list! :dance: It was ok and all, but honestly I've never seen a game DRAG ON for so loving long. I got to Hell and expected it to be over soon, only to find out I have about 5 levels left to go. Because of that I'm dreading the expansion pack.

As for KOTOR, I'm a little stuck on Malak (SO. CLOSE.). So I'm gonna bump Psychonauts to the backup position. I was about half way through it when I quit so it won't be too long.

The expansion pack's actually ridiculously short from what I recall.

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Out of sheer curiosity - does collecting all the flags and killing all the templar in AC1 actually unlock anything beyond achievments? I'm mainly interested in whether it would do anything to add to the plot. If I'm not missing anything by skipping them, I'll probably just finish that right after Condemned.

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

It does not. Skip them.

Edit: In fact skip everything you do not need to finish the game because if you do all the side quests you will kill yourself with tedium. The extra advice doing extra quests do is ultimately pointless because you'll likely get spotted anyway.

Funny thing, when I beat AC1 the first time around (doing it again to re-orient myself with the plot) I did every side mission and never really tired of them. I did say "gently caress it" to the flags the first time, I just wasn't sure if they served a larger purpose beyond "hurf durf get da achievements". Thank ya!

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Just re-finished Assassin's Creed - I'm a bit of the way into Assassin's Creed 2. The glyphs kind of give me the willies. Also maybe it's just me, but AC2 seems to control a bit better than the first game - I'm not getting gypped out of hopping into a roof hutch NEARLY as much as in the first game, for instance. Can't say I don't miss regenerating health though.

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

I put Condemned on hold for reasons I can't really explain. Gaming's been going slow lately, I'm dealing with some college-related poo poo. I have, however, been making progress in Assassin's Creed 2. Just got Altair's armor, and I believe I have two glyphs and three codex pages left to find.

Hopefully the glyphs don't have anymore of the gorram number wheels. gently caress those things. Also gently caress the glyph with Joan of Arc and Nikolai II, where you drag the fire onto Joan and you are rewarded with a bloodcurdling scream. Those things are creepy enough as is.

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Alright. Been a while since I posted. I gave up on Condemned for some reason. I'll return to it one day, I just find myself getting less and less interested in beating hobos up. In the meanwhile, I've beaten Assassin's Creed 2, and bought Brotherhood during that deal the other day to get down on some multiplayer action, and to continue the story. About to try that out, but my main focus right now is Mirror's Edge. I also got Brink, but you can't really "beat" that per se, and also Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, which I'm playing through in co-op with someone, so my progress in that sort of depends on him being on and both of us feeling like playing.

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

I remember Taris clear as crystal. If you're in the sewers now, it means you're close to the Black Vulkar base. After that, you gotta win the swoop race, etc., then there are actually two more "dungeon" areas between plot progression (Sith base and Davik's mansion). Taris kind of drags, but trust me - it's all worth it when you get your fancy-pants Jedi training. Even Dantooine is better, and there's almost nothing ON Dantooine. Keep pushing. :)

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

http://backloggery.com/mrsaturday

Now, I assume Completed is different from Beaten in that Completed means "found every extra and secret", correct?

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Purple D. Link posted:

And have the hardest difficulty beaten if that applies.

I noticed today that they added Steam and GOG categories recently. I have so many games I need reorganize now. :(

Haha, well gently caress-a-dat poo poo. I'm a completionist insofar as I do the extras that won't make me go mad or have to look at GameFAQs, so I don't think I can 100% any of the ones on my backlog.

e.g.: I hit every viewpoint in AC2 and got Altair's Armor, but not the maps, treasure chests, or feathers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Two things.

First, a question: How do I add someone to Multitap? Like, I have the Edit Multitap screen, but there's nothing there to drag as advertised.

Second, just beat Mirror's Edge. I've gotta say, I'm happy to get it out of the way. It starts off just like it should, there's a good flow to the first couple levels, then it just inexplicably TANKS. I spent a great deal of time trying desperately to figure out where to go, and a lot of times dying to cops because of the broken timing on weapon disarms. It just got more and more frustrating the more I played of it. It's a TON of fun when it works, but so much of the map design just defeats the purpose of the game.

Worst of all though, the vent crawling. Why, why, WHY is there vent crawling in a free-running game? :negative:

Ah well. Next on my list is going to be a heavy focus on Red Faction.

e: minus!=negative

Mr. Saturday fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 6, 2011